Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Actually they're not. Technology provides a lot of scope to decrease the demands for labour. We've simply avoided a lot of the technical applications which are common abroad, although some of them are starting to become more common.

We already have a significant foreign born population, who have or will have children themselves. Foreign cultures who still have large families. But even without them, the Irish population rate meets replacement levels.

Lastly, with medical advances, people are living longer, while retaining more awareness at a later age. The costs involved in running this country is going to force retirement ages to increase.. that's unavoidable, because many elderly will need jobs to provide for themselves. The government has made a hash of the pension system, so.. the truth is more immigrants means less work for our own elderly.

The UK has struck a deal with the Albanian government (believed to be 60% of the people arriving by boat) to process and send home anyone without a valid asylum claim asap.

Like all of these schemes it probably won't work, the article says that since a removal agreement was signed between the UK and Albainia last year, only 1k have been deported.

I'm sure if the UK gets tougher on them they'll just come here

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/priti-patel-home-office-kent-channel-home-secretary-b2152149.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

We have access to the massive EU and British markets, we don’t need to import the third world. I haven’t seen any government announcements about schemes to get EU citizens to Ireland.

I brought my children to the local playground yesterday and it was full of gangs of feral children from certain countries lets say. I knew some of the children from school and their behaviour was flagged years ago but to see them out in the open, behaving so wrecklessly put a shiver up my spine and I worry for my children.

Great country we have allowed to develop into, not.

The worse thing this country ever did was have such a generous Social Welfare System. Of course there are people who genuinely need it but it has attracted dregs here too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The reason I state that this notion of 'housing our own' is a redundant concept in a global society.

This "global society" you speak of regarding multiculturalism is not nearly so global. Indeed it's a remarkably narrow one. The concept and the concept of "multiculturalism" is almost entirely confined to parts of Western Europe and ex Western European colonies in the New World and the latter who ended up with multiculturalism by virtue of history are all tightening up their criteria for entry and have been for years. Within Western Europe among those who've had to deal with this multicultural politic for generations they're also tightening up their criteria for entry. Even a huge shift like Brexit would have likely not passed if immigration wasn't a factor. Among those nations living with this social and political experiment for longer they're more likely to cry Halt. If it was such a boon one would be forgiven for thinking they'd want more, not less of this boon? Ireland as usual late to the game with multiculturalism is also late to the game in dealing with it and the problems that come from it. But we'll get there soon enough.

Humans are much more intelligent creatures than we give them credit for

Then why do so many insist on repeating the same mistakes as others thinking somehow, this time, it will be different? Again please point out one example of Western "multiculturalism" where the exact same social, economic and demographic trends are not seen. If this was such a solid politic and philosophy surely it would be easy to point to a success?

Irish culture being eroded? - Those Normans, Vikings and British people giving us their roads, legal system and education!

It's been a while since we saw this old fave of the multiculturalist argument. For a start they weren't required to bring roads, our legal system, or education. We had roads here and long ones before Rome was even a village, our legal system was based on existing Brehon law and education and later laws came from the Roman world and notably it didn't need thousands of Italians coming here to bring it. We absorb a huge amount of American culture and lattery political thinking, even language/accent shifts, yet how many Americans live here? A couple of thousand?

Secondly, and I do love how the multiculturalists miss this and the rainbow of ironies within; those listed were invaders and colonisers and often murderous ones that kicked the hell out of the local culture. I hate to break it to them, but Monty Python's what did the Romans ever do for us? while funny is wildly innaccurate on virtually every single point and can easily be argued sniffs of old style British public schoolboy imperialism(though it could be far more applied to Roman Britain).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Oh good you will be able to answer this so.

How do people on Social Welfare pay for our pension?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's always absent from the narrative of "multiculturalism". One would think with the EU having different zones of lower employment and others in need of workers and having free movement within the EU community that this would be more in play.

But multiculturalism has almost nada to do with economics or workers directly. That's almost entirely after the factism. Multiculturalism as a concept is a reactive politic. Originally in nations like the US where history and the very make up of the nation meant they had to deal with it and "diversity" and "multiculturalism" was a way to try and paper over the cracks in their history and current situation. More latterly in post war Europe where old empires that had fallen had to deal with the influx from their own ex colonies and they had to deal with it in similar ways. More latterly again with the large influx over the last decade into Europe. Ireland didn't have to deal with it because we didn't have an empire and were economically tiny so vanishingly few wanted to be "new Irish" back in the day.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

plenty of Irish feral kids around my estate in Dublin. Shouting racist insults at residents and throwing eggs at cars driving in to the car park.

Irish teenagers (and younger) of a certain demographic are no better than those that you describe

you’re right that we have a problem with social welfare and lack of ability for the Gardai to deal with this behaviour. But is nothing to do with multiculturalism. We can bring up native feral children perfectly well ourselves

Nobody has suggested otherwise, of course we can grow our own, so why import more and different, seemingly intractable problems that are found in every single so called multicultural nation in Europe(and the West)? Again please point out one example of Western "multiculturalism" where the exact same social, economic and demographic trends are not seen developing over time.

Now we can argue until the cows come home why these trends are consistently seen, but the facts remain they are seen and out of all the different multicultural nations, with all their different histories, timescales, cultures, politics, social programmes and geography, none of them seem to be able to change these trends.

Apparently Ireland will be different, this time. What's that quote about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

I agree with you that we should not be allowing in anyone who is likely to end up living off the state, other than the small number of genuine asylum seekers. That is within the government’s power

however there are many here arguing that we shouldn’t let in anyone at all. Full stop. Close the borders. We’re full. Even if you’re in gainful employment and paying taxes

I think we should be encouraging young workers in. They have limited healthcare demands, limited education demands (at least for a few years), generally happy to houseshare for a while. And yet pay taxes and contribute. And there are plenty of jobs to be filled, not only software engineers and medics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Totally agree. We have plenty of our own.

What puzzles me is why some think it makes sense to add substainly to to the numbers by letting more in.

We can't control our own without trying to control other countries problems.

You would think Alot of these doctors and engineers kids would act differently.

however there are many here arguing that we shouldn’t let in anyone at all. Full stop.

Who is?

Cause I don't see it.. there's been a few isolated posters, but I'd be surprised if they numbered above 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Not Surprising is it?

Especially when some groups dont seem to want /can't work at all but depend on other taxpayers and need huge state supports .

Irish people preferring Irish people, is that unreasonable to a degree

Is that a 'problem'?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

As a recent returnee I have been disappointed to encounter the same kind of rough behaviour similar to the gangs of teens that I grew up with .

Sad to see it hasn't really changed much. It makes me dislike large parts of our capital city.

The vast majority of these teens that I observed were home grown so to speak.

Any newcomers are just learning from their peers. Ireland always had a bit of a rough violent edge to our society and that is still there. Pity.

Any newcomers are just learning from their peers.

As opposed to the presence of the same behaviour (if not worse) that exists in other countries. Nah, they couldn't have brought such behaviours over to Ireland with them! Ireland has always had a rough side, but in reality, it paled in comparison to the roughness present in the UK or many French towns. And African or S.American urban centres were worse again.

As a recent returnee I have been disappointed to encounter the same rough behaviour from ganggs of teens that I grew up with 

Whereas I've been impressed at how softer Ireland has become. I grew up in Athlone of the 80s, and that was rough. Now? haha.. oh! on the surface people often still appear to be rough, but they're the far less violent/hostile/aggressive than they used to be.

Pretty much nobody has said no inward migration. We're part of the EU and people have been coming here from the EU throughout. Qualified and head hunted people from outside the EU, particularly in our health services are no issue either(that we require them because of the brain drain of Irish health service workers is another story). Ditto for those working in IT, many of whom internally transferred in outfits like Google.

And why are we not encouraging more young workers from the EU in? EU nations like Spain have higher levels of unemployment and an educated workforce and one educated to European standards. We hear little of that sort of thing. Folks like the Poles did it off their own bat for the most part. Instead it's about refugees/asylum seekers, who as you note are(outside of the current shítshow that we can't mention) small in number in genuine cases, far less likely to be educated to European standards, far less likely to have backgrounds and qualifications for work and are more likely to end up in receipt of social support. There are only so many deliveroo gigs to go around.

And in the midst of the worst housing crisis in the history of the Irish state, a health service with insane waiting lists, there is something to be said for us being "full", or at least the bathtub is close to overflowing yet too many vested interests in governments and charities are insisting on turning up the taps.

"Rough areas" in Ireland are or at least were in the tupenny hapenny place to similar in France, Spain, Italy, Germany, England, never mind dodgy areas beyond Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

Gig economy is a race to the bottom, not working. Nothing will happen if it goes away.

not everyone from overseas (who isn’t a software engineer or the likes) is working in the gig economy. Those that support our service industries, including all those you don’t see in kitchens and cleaning and housekeeping etc, are overwhelmingly immigrants, as are many front of house. And there are still many jobs needing to be filled in these areas.

im an immigrant (though now naturalised). My wife is an immigrant. are we okay to be here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

I'm one too. What we are don't make the facts any less true or our oppinions invalid. Or more valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

It does seem a little out there to be coming in and "using up housing and resources" as an immigrant and then complaining about immigrants taking housing and facilities from the Irish and being homeless. Some posters who are immigrants will have thousands of posts against immigrants "contributing to/causing the housing crisis" and how much Irish people "suffer" due to it but don't seem to have a problem applying that logic to themselves. Perhaps skin colour is the main issue, or as they like to hide behind "culture" instead of saying race, tactics that were given to them by the far right loon Steven Crowder. I mean if they really cared about the indigenous population, then why are they, according to their own logic, displacing Irish, contributing to homelessness (an irish person is on the street while they are in a bed), and so on. Why not just leave instead of creating a "problem" by being an immigrant in Ireland and taking up facilities and housing, according to their logic. You don't really see them having the logic to deal with any of these questions, mainly because the far right spokespeople that they parrot haven't really touched on it so it's best to ignore. Ultimately, you won't get a good answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭conorhal

Riddle me this, with a million extra people imported to 'pay for my pension', why is it that pension age set to increase to 68? It seems like to more people imported to pay for my pension the higher it goes! Something tells me that I'm more likely to be working into my 70's just to pay for the new arrivals. (Spoiler: I won't we because you'd have to be a fool to leave yourself reliant on the government pension)

Apparently Nigeria banned any foreign person from appearing in ads over there. Imagine how the usual cohort would react here if the Irish government did the exact same thing...

https://mobile.twitter.com/FMICNigeria/status/1562025836534013953?cxt=HHwWgoC9yZ2Ot60rAAAA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Sounds like Nigeria could do with some NGOs. Can we send some of ours over? They could espouse how great multiculturalism is. Us westerners don’t want to be seen to be taking it all for ourselves. I’d be happy for my taxes to send them over. Possibly northern Nigeria? Boko Harem heartland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

We can bring up native feral children perfectly well ourselves

100% and we have more than enough of them. So, begs the question - why import more?

I suppose it's also down to what "foreign" means. Do they mean not Black? I suspect so.

Unlike Ireland Nigeria doesn't automatically confer citizenship just because someone is born there. From what I recall one parent has to be Nigerian and have a grandparent from one of the indigenous ethnic groups. Here you can rock up from Mars and through various routes after a while get a piece of paper that automatically makes you Irish and woe betide anyone who suggests that might not be quite the case.

Again I would say it's this "multicultural" influence from the US(and some other ex New World colonies), a nation where the very mechanism of its culture and history means you can become American. To a lesser extent Britain and France had that with their empires and their once subjects, though in the case of Britain it had more to do with their ex pats and colonists being seen and regarding themselves as "British" even if off swanning about the Raj getting malaria and shooting tigers, rather than their indigenous subjects.

Becoming Irish didn't have any of that in historical and cultural terms. It's an imported idea and a recent one. About the only similarity would be those among the ex colony's diaspora, especially in America where the diaspora laid claim to being Irish, and it's not so long ago they and that claim were usually laughed out of it and often still are. Mind you except when it came to adding numbers to our soccer team. You can kick a ball with skill and force eh? I gather you had an Irish Setter as a child. Welcome! 😁

The only other example that springs to mind was the medieval "more irish than the irish themselves" around the Norman conquerers, though that was more a dig by their English cousins than anything like a compliment. The same English cousins who much did the same, though more through marriages to "locals" to consolidate power rather than taking up local culture, customs and language, at least at first(it took a fair few generations of Norman royalty before any of them even spoke English as their first language. That so "English" of kings Richard the Lionheart could barely string a sentence together in the language), just like the Normans did in France and Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

To look after us when we're old.

That's something to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Ireland doesnt automatically confer citizenship either directly.

Zambrano case

• Advertisement

Things are not going well in the Netherlands, so much so that Médecins Sans Frontières have had to step in because they are so overcrowded. Wonder how far we are off that here

Advertisement