Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth buying a house in Newcastle

Options
  • 24-08-2022 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Is it worth buying a house in Newcastle Considering the lack of transport facilities and no great amenities?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 rkak

Any thoughts would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

May depend on work have you a car or where you are moving from .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

If you have a job in mind there, or some other connection, why not.

Prices aren't too high in Newcastle anyway. Bid low and see what happens.

I work in Central Park. I don’t know driving and currently there is no direct bus. There is only 1 bus route I believe that connects to city. Not sure on the frequency. Don’t know if there are plans to increase public transport there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

That would be a rough commute, and I'm saying that as someone who uses public transport exclusively.

• Advertisement

Yeah shows 1.5 hours off peak hours. So May be 2 hours peak time. Is it safe though considering so many reviews of the red line.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Central Park is on the green line.

I was talking about the bus route from Newcastle to city centre, before getting on the green line. The bus route I think is going to be similar to the red line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I think the length of the commute you're thinking of getting yourself into should be the main worry. If you're concerned take a trip/trips to and from Newcastle, the trouble that happens with buses around here tend to be confined to certain areas that the 68 doesn't go through.

Thanks a lot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 FTBr

In short yes, public transport connectivity is about to significantly improve to Newcastle.

The new W6 route starting in a few months will connect Newcastle to the saggart Luas stop in the tallaght direction. In the other direction, the W6 will get you to Hazelhatch train station in around 5 minutes, where you can connect with trains to hueston or grand canal dock. And in the medium term, the DART+ will be coming to Hazelhatch also. Remember you can change modes all you like with the leap card now for a flat 2 euro fare.

Theres also the new L56 route coming that connects Newcastle and the red cow luas stop which gives more frequent service that the saggart stop. The 68x will remain for a direct bus link the city at peak times and of course the 69n nitelink runs at the weekends.

Local amenities are improving greatly also, both SuperValu and Lidl are opening stores in the village, and the planning for both includes additional retail units and cafes etc. In terms of connectivity and amenities, Newcastle really is on the up but is still a lot cheaper than other areas nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

It's still very shy on amenities but will get them as population increases. With a car you can get to Lucan and Celbridge pretty handy and they have what you will need

That is great, thanks a lot for this..I also found out that there is a bus currently running between Greenogue business park and red cow luas on weekdays. I don’t know if red line is safe but guessing should be fine at peak hours atleast.

Indeed. Apparently there is a new development coming in the area soon, so more amenities hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Speaking as a driver who does business roughly 3 days a week in Newcastle, I’d be fearful about traffic congestion down the road.

Already, there can be very long queues coming off the N7 @ J4, & likewise from Greenogue up to the roundabout at J4.

Also there is mention above of a bus link from Newcastle to Hazelhatch. The connection is a great idea, but I wonder what route this bus will take to get to Hazelhatch? That bridge at Hazelhatch over the canal is very tight at the best of times. A bus going over the bridge will be extremely tight.

Yes, Newcastle looks like a nice area, but again like most places, NO thought gone into infrastructure ( roads especially).

The public transport connectivity is increasing a lot under the bus connects plan. In addition to the 68 to the city centre, there will be the new W6 route, Maynooth to tallaght via Newcastle. This will also give a connection to the Luas at saggart and the Hueston and Grand Canal dock rail services at Hazelhatch. This route is confirmed to be commencing in the new year, albeit only in the tallaght direction initially while they widen the bridge at Hazelhatch. This connection will be of even more benefit in years to come as the DART SW will serve Hazelhatch.

In addition, another new route the L56 is launching that will give a quicker from Newcastle connection to the red cow luas.

SuperValu will be opening soon, and another retail unit has permission on that site. Looks like Lidl will be getting permission, along with one or two smaller retail units. So yeah indeed the village was low on ammenities and transport but a lot more development on those fronts now than there hat been for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 peacefulnature

Hi, that’s so helpful! I am looking to buy a house in Newcastle as well. I work in Stephen’s Green though but I drive. Do you think I will need more than an hour driving in the morning (7:30)?

also any new shops or amenities in the area?

is there dart or any other buses than 68?

Hi there,

In terms of amenities, there is certainly a lot more now than even just a couple of years a go. SuperValu opened a new supermarket this year, and Lidl have started construction on their store on the main street also, so that should give some good choice. About 5 new smaller retail / cafe units are being completed, or in approved plans at the moment also but I don't know who is going to be occupying them. Good primary school and plenty of kids / sports clubs options.

Transport wise, there has been improvements but still some stuff to be implemented. The 68 can be a very long and slow route, especially at peak times. The W62 to Tallaght is up and running now and seems popular, that interchanges with the LUAS at Saggart. The W62 is being extended to Maynooth in the coming months, which will give good access to Hazelhatch train station from Newcastle. The new L56 will be launched soon which will give a quicker exchange with LUAS at red cow. So transports in Newcastle will be miles ahead of where it had been for years. Then the 69n nitelink is a good cheap option for getting home at night on weekends. Takes 35-40 mins, but at €2 it beats a rip off taxi.

Rail services are actually very good from Hazelhatch, you have routes both to Hueston and Grand Canal dock which are both frequent at peak times. For the next few months though driving to the station is the only option, its only a 5 minute drive but parking is €3, the train fare is only €2. Of course, the W62 being extended will fix this. The station is being upgraded to a full DART service over the next 5 years which should improve off peak frequencies.

Driving is more of a Dublin problem in general. I don't drive to the city in the morning so I can't offer any experience. It is a 25-30 minute drive to Stephens Green area whenever I do but this is always the weekends or v early morning, I dont drive in if the there's traffic tbh. Once traffic starts it is a nightmare to get into the city centre from anywhere. I honestly think the train is the best option during peak times. Journey time from Hazelhatch to Tara street are 35-40 mins, and to Hueston is 20 mins or less. These will beat rush hour driving times any day.

Advertisement