Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'm not ignoring anything nor did I suggest it wouldn't be a challenge.

I gave you my experience from personally interacting with Ukrainian children.

We have an awful habit in this country about only focusing on the negatives, is it any wonder that mindset prevails in certain sections of society.

The unions and teachers (apart from the one who keeps vomiting when they see a Ukrainian) are fully committed to providing the basic human right to education, if you are being more moany than a Union maybe it's time to reassess.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

But aren't they going back to Ukriane?

Why not just do online zoom classes with Ukrianinan teachers who are back to normal in Ukrianie. Instead they are taking up our vital resource's. Seem like they want to stay. Surprise, suprise €€€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

if you are being more moany than a Union maybe it's time to reassess.

Quality 😂

It's a sad mindset that people see no value just costs.

Must be lonely.

I'm focusing on the practical reality. And no, I'd say there's been too much focus on the positives already, while dismissing the negatives. Far too much wishful thinking without serious consideration of the consequences involved.

And you're now dismissing what has been stated as being moany, because you don't want to consider the realities involved. It's too damn inconvenient, so just ignore them. That's been a problem in this country for far too long, and one of the reasons why we are where we are today.

• Advertisement

Well, Ukrainian children have been attending schools since March.

So what practical reality have you to report, what issues have you seen?

It's a valid point. And your deflecting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

I understand the government of Ukraine have decided the benefit of re opening the city to trade out weighs the risks involved. I trust they have put measures in place to safeguard their citizens as much as possible. Their economy is in the toilet and they need stimulate growth again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

"Government announces scheme to provide laptops to Ukrainian children"

SZ3, Daisy, et al: "What about our own children?!?! Sure I've no broadband, I have to post my letters in to boards.ie. Can the children not work to pay for the laptops? It's disgraceful! Our internet is full, so it is! Shocked, so I am! Our government are traitors! I vomited!"

The idea of restarting the football league was to increase moral.

But the practicalities of that in a war zone are

A Ukrainian Premier League match on Wednesday lasted 4 hours and 27 minutes instead of the normal 90 minutes after being interrupted by air-raid sirens.

Rukh Lviv and Metalist Kharkiv kicked off their match at Ukraina stadium in the western city of Lviv at 15:00 local time (12:00 GMT) and finished it at 19:27, with three pauses after sirens sounded.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

You mean you hope santa remembers to put a list in the local adverts telling everyone what their kids want, while santa sits on the free money pile.

Lisdoonvarna N.S. had a 132 pupils before the Ukrainian Refugees started arriving. The town had a population of 800.

900 Refugees arrived, and I would guess more than 132 kids with them. That is just one town. The problems are only beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Per an earlier article in March, 500 refugees meant 12 more students. So they are going to fall apart over another 10 or so?

You do realise there is numerous schools in every rural parish right?

Many of which have faced the problem of getting students and face the real prospect of being closed down.

I'm aware of one which doubled it's student numbers and received 2 new teachers on the back of it.

A school closure due to lack of students is absolutely horrible for a rural locality.

The village soon dies on the back of it.

It's one of the reasons Ukrainian children in rural communities are being welcomed with open arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Doctors don’t have to take on any more patients.

full is full, regardless of medical card or not.

on your medical card your doctor is named . They have to accept you as their patient. Can’t just get told by the HSE.. “ here there are 10 more medical card holders in your area now that need a GP, you are their GP now.”

You mean you hope santa remembers to put a list in the local adverts telling everyone what their kids want, while santa sits on the free money pile.

No I know what I meant, I don’t need the small bit of levity I alluded to, being twisted out of context by bitter and resentful sorts to support their own narrative.

Instead of declaring that the problems are only beginning, something which everyone is acutely aware of, they aren’t any different from the problems that people are used to dealing with every day, regardless of their backgrounds, Irish, Ukrainian or otherwise.

You’re not some canary in the coalmine, and I’m not getting at you personally or anything, just stating a fact, that people are aware there are problems, and they’re dealing with them, and they’re receiving support to deal with them from people who want to support them.

I remember the same sort of shyte being said about Ukrainians now was being said about me when I was in primary school - that I’d be held back, that I’d hold the class back, that I wouldn’t be able to keep up and all the children’s quality of education would suffer - my mother was told it would be better to put me in a ‘special school’ as they were known at the time. My mother who was a teacher herself, didn’t take their ‘sagely’ advice, and it’s a good thing for me and many more children that she didn’t, because being dyslexic isn’t anything like an impediment to anyones education than the attitudes of people who determine that those children who don’t fit their narrative should be siphoned off to a ‘special school’ and deprived of an equal right to education as though they don’t belong in mainstream schools.

Since then I’ve always fought for children to have the same access to education and the same quality and standards of education as my own child has had, regardless of their backgrounds or additional educational needs, and to hell with begrudgers who would seek to deprive anyone of that right.

Still a disappointment to my mother though, she was banking on me becoming the teacher in the family and taking after all her relatives and their children on her side of the family 😂

Lovely story Jack, it inspired to try and go to Harvard, because smarter kids should be held back to my level.

Your mom was a teacher? So you had a perfect tutor, if you failed then it would of reflected bad on her.

How many Ukrianie kids have English speaking teacher moms?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

Boggles I am not referring to football, I'm referring to public transport, schools, colleges, shops, pubs, cafes etc.

They are very close to defaulting as a country and need some stimulus to avoid that. Those in power there have deemed it safe enough to do business.

The Ukrainians themselves have been going back and forth for months.

You will find if you put your ear to the ground, the tide is turning majorly here in Ireland on this sham. Wait until the Winter months.

As I said to another poster earlier this morning - am I supposed to care that it inspires you to go to Harvard or anything else? That wasn’t the point.

The point, seeing as you appear to have missed it, is that people involved in education have been dealing with these problems for other people, for decades. That we are now discussing Ukrainian refugees access to education is nothing new, we’ve been accommodating other groups in Irish society in our education system for decades.

My mother was a teacher, but that has nothing to do with whether or not she is the perfect tutor. The fact that she is my parent, is what makes her the perfect tutor. She wasn’t the only person though, there was my father and my neighbour who practically raised me because both my parents were working and we hardly ever saw them (children in school saw more of my mother than I did).

Btw I was raised through Irish only spoken at home, not English, but I have no idea how many Ukrainians have English speaking teacher moms. I wasn’t aware it was a necessity in raising children that they had to be raised through the medium of the English language? That’s not the impediment you think it is either, and I’ve picked up a couple of other languages since, which is kinda handy when you’re helping immigrants who’s first language is not English to enrol their children in the local schools, when the Board of Management are sometimes… ‘resistant’ 😂

Even the Irish Constitution recognises the social institution of the Family as the primary and natural educators of children, while at the same time recognising that the State has an obligation to provide for education, and upholding the right of every child to education. It doesn’t mention anything about Harvard, but it wouldn’t be unlawful discrimination would prevent you from attending Harvard in any case, an opportunity like that would have more to do with your own financial capacity to provide for it, and if you were deprived of an earlier education, you’re less likely to be in a position where you can fund your third level education yourself.

It’s not exactly chicken and egg stuff here - access to education provides just the foundations which enables anyone to participate in society, and they are built upon by putting the support structures in place necessary to achieve whatever your goal is in life, whether it’s to attend Harvard, or sit back on your hole and argue that other people should be deprived of the same opportunities in education that you’ve had.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Spoofer strikes again.

As an example amost all schools in the Dublin metro area are oversubscribed ,Especially secondary schools.

But its not only Dublin, huge areas around the country have the same problem.

Quoting a report from 2016 is a joke.

NOT only that.

Many schools cannot get teachers now..no accommodation to be found. So hard to support the classes they already have!

https://www.newstalk.com/news/dublin-schools-face-staffing-crisis-the-cost-of-living-is-crushing-teachers-1374346

• Advertisement

I know a lot of teachers in my local area, and we've talked about the situation, as many of them do extra hours at the community centre I volunteer at. Frustrations over the situation is rising, as are the stresses involved.

And you're shifting goalposts. The practical reality was in regards to the state of their English, and the ability to operate in Irish classrooms without undue effects on the native students. The practical reality was the attention that teachers would need to give to Ukrainian students which takes them away from their normal duties, as they're usually not required to lower their English to the level required to be understood. The practical reality of Ukrainian students not keeping up in classes, and becoming disruptive as a result... which if you do have experience teaching is a very possible outcome.

I could go on and on, but no doubt you'll dismiss it all.. as you've done previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

He's just being practical Boggles. Perhaps he is a teacher as he describes classroom life and classroom conditions very well. Teachers are committed to honoring the right of each student to an education and I've have no doubt that we [I'm one] will do our very best but the class sizes are huge, there are a myriad of other challenges and resources are limited.

I think Klaz is also right about foreign language acquisition. I'm a language teacher and school learning alone very rarely results in fluency. It's a pity but a fact. But you are right that foreign kids can make good progress by interacting with the English speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Says the lad who favours “are you worried your dole will be cut to pay for them” as his put down of choice.

You could say mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Deflecting again? Comment on the post, not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

She’s currently got 69k to aide her with the people trafficking operation. Once they land here, the state picks up the tab. What does she need all that cash for? Is she putting them up, paying for their food and essentials? Welfare signs them up no questions asked and they’re put up and fed three meals on the states tab. So it can’t be that.

I know the price of fuel has risen drastically but not by that much! It would cost circa 3 grand to drive to Kiev. How many runs is she operating?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

A lot has changed since March, and the CSO stats from last week even show that 38% of those that arrived are one parent with children. Assuming some are below school age, it would still be more than 10 per 500.

It also shows that individuals aged 0-19 (both male and female) account for 37% - Definitely more than 10 per 500.

Those stats don't seem to match, but they are the ones given. Unless 'children' are over 19 in some instances, it is at least 38 children per 100.

I am well aware that there are more than one school in most parish's. But the amount of Ukrainians being dumped in one area doesn't help that in any shape. It means that the closer schools will be full very quickly and more will have to travel further out, still getting full quickly. They are still coming in. That is the problem.

The bullsh*t that people are spewing here about having compassion and empathy for them doesn't change that. Maybe it's time to start being realistic and having empathy or compassion for more than these people who, let's be honest, most are just arguing the case just because there are people who are saying we are full. I wonder how strong their feelings would be if people started to say the homeless should be housed in the 'open homes' for Ukrainians, or those in DP. We already know how a few of the same posters feel about them from the other threads.

We already have a large EU share of the Ukrainian Refugees for our population. Things are opening up over there, whether or not you like how they are opening, is irrelevant. The country is looking forward and trying to get back to some kind of normality - no longer an 'emergency' status that encouraged the activation of the temporary protection directive.

We don't need to be taking more in. We can't keep taking more in.

Again I never suggested it wasn't a challenge, but the claim that Ukrainian children cannot exist in a classroom is absolute nonsense.

What is it 15% to 20% of our school population are non Irish?

You'd swear instead of having one of the best educational systems in the world and world class teachers to go with it that if some foreign children arrived in the whole school would collapse and we would have to put them the yard.

Teachers and principles are very protective and competitive for their kids, if there was anything threatening that we wouldn't be long hearing about it.

But again we have had more than a term with 1000s of refugees in our school system and I'm not hearing anything like the doom mongering hyperbole been repeated on here.

Its a full time paid job with free personal promotion. A virtual signallers dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Grace doesnt bring anyone in unless she has volunteer to house them .They are genuine refugees she helps from basements and bunkers read her blogs she is incredible .She has tapped in to the homes pledged to RC who have heard nothing since March . Fair play to her , you dont have to donate but others are perfectly entitled to , its their choice

• Advertisement

I wonder how strong their feelings would be if people started to say the homeless should be housed in the 'open homes' for Ukrainians

Absolutely nothing stopping you from opening your home to a homeless person.

It's your home, you can do as you please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement