Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

The end of abundance for who?

Not for China

Not for India

Why don't they just spell it out instead of being vague,

Is there going to be a lack of abundance of materials and land for the well off or is going to be the working Joe's?

What exactly does this NWO Look like,

Are the Americans going to give up there massive consumer habits?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I spent years posting links to scientific reports that nobody read

The extremes that happen all the time now. Summer heatwaves that exceed 35c used to be notable, now they're 'normal weather' in Europe.

Worst droughts in 500 years causing some of the most important rivers in Europe to essentially dry up

Flash floods caused by climate change. Search for 'record flooding' on google. Pakistan (killed 800 people), Texas California all had worst floods on record in the past 48 hours. That's not normal.

If you open your eyes, you'll see what's happening.

Yes to all of the above. Consuming is getting more expensive for everyone everywhere. That’s just a fact. And if it slows down consumption then that is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

They will have to at some point but that will be after the wars for resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

As I have pointed out these events have occured since time began so we will agree to disagree . The use of fossil fuels like the use of the horse and cart will naturally wain when a better solution is found. The solutions being pushed upon society by the greens fall way of the mark and will cause more problems than solutions in the long run. Do you really want the oceans full of wind mills ?? Land not used for food production but hectares of solar panels ?? Crazy stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,068 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

A strange request when greens have been asked the same on multiple occasions as to how much extra renewable capacity they want thrown at the problem and how much that would cost without a single figure from any of them.

The most memorable reply to date was "have faith". Not exactly a sound financial arguement to back up a belief when you see where that "faith" has us at present.

Newstalk this morning consisted off 1. Why one off housing shouldn't be allowed 2. How to build our future towns ( 3 greenies on telling us how rural Ireland is the problem ) 3. Why hunting needs to be banned. Green agenda driven down your throat with no balance given, you have to question the motive and who is funding it

An increase in the rate of inflation results in an increase in the price of goods and services. Right now the main driver behind the rise in the inflation rate, especially in Europe, is energy prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Kincora2017

Will have to go back and listen to it but anyone who doesn’t see one-off housing and the Legislation that allowed it as a massive issue is walking around with their eyes closed.

The centres of our towns and villages are being abandoned and becoming derelict. As this happens the town boundaries are actually spreading out further, with poorly designed housing estates along the edges and then one-off housing beyond that for miles and miles. The new “centres” are the crap, over priced petrol stations that have sprung up on the outskirts of these dying towns, that everyone has to drive to. All while the actual historic centre gets boarded up and deserted.

disagreeing with One-Off housing is not an attack on rural Ireland. It is an attack on Planning legislation (or lack of) that fails to protect our existing settlements and has bizarrely promoted the car in its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Eamon Ryan pretty much guaranteed our energy security over the winter yesterday in an interview. He is also objecting to any LNG port.

If there is any sort of shortage over the winter, it is 100% on him. He cannot be allowed to weasel out of it. He has to be held accountable for it

• Advertisement

I would not see it the kind of guarantee you would take to the bank and hope for a good reception.

It`s again more hope than anything based on gas taking us out of a hole if the wind doesn`t blow, where there is a European shortage of gas, our gas supply is unsecure, we have no gas storage of any significance, he is still opposed to LNG and greens have banned exploration. That is where green policy has us and Ryan`s been in the driving seat on energy for the past +2 years so the buck stops with him. After yesterday I doubt there will be any sympathy for him from FF on that score.

Call me and old cynic, but I find it more than just sheer coincidence that after keeping quite on Robert Troy (not that I have any sympathy for him) Ryan choose yesterday to throw him under the bus. I imagine there are quite a few in the FF parliamentary party looking at Michael Martin this morning thinking "And you are the eejit that stood up and gave Green Junior Minister Joe O`Brien a dig out on Catherine Martin`s arrogance on flying business class".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Registered Users Posts: 29,287 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

again, the greens are only a minor part of the government, most of our energy problems have been known for years, long before the current government, i.e. this isnt just a greens failure, but multi party, multi government failure.....

im failing to see your logic here, how is this poster arguing against capitalism?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

One large NPP would have several reactors and you would schedule maintainance on one at a time. Slovenia has a smaller population than here yet has a NPP. In 2020, that plant achieved a capacity factor of 99.5%. There is a NPP in the UK that had a period of over 4 years of continuous output.

If you went for next gen tech you might opt for multiple SMRs.

Half of the country live in rural areas and the horse has well and truly bolted on that one . The infrastructure regarding electricity, roads etc is already there so why not let someones son or daughter build a house at their own expense rather than go on to our ever expanding housing waiting list. It makes no sense to fulfill all to fulfill another green dream, there are people getting refused planning up and down the country now due to common sense not being applied. If I have a field at the back of me with existing electricity, sewage, roads and broadband why should my son or daughter not be allowed build and live there ?

Abundance is wasteful. The richest people who don't need to budget or plan their consumption are incredibly wasteful. The most frugal people are those who need to watch every penny. They don't waste food or electricity or throw away perfectly good things because they're bored with them or there's a new version on the market.

Capitalism thrived on the basis of digging things out of the ground, and then dumping them into the air or water or landfill

Capitalism is fuelled by externalities. Profits are derived from getting someone else to pay the cost. This has always been how it worked. But in a planet of 8 billion people in mass consumption, that model doesn't work anymore.

But we don't want everyone to be poor, and surviving hand to mouth either, so a balance is to regulate industry to enforce higher standards on manufacturing so that the manufacturing process has to be more sustainable, and the finished products need to be durable and repairable and ultimately recyclable

We need better regulations. We can't allow single use electronics, throw away clothing or furniture or most of the other 'consumables' that fill up the aisles of every supermarket in the western world

We need the right to repair, we need stringent laws on 'fit for purpose' and 'Merchantable quality'. Extended warranties should not be a thing, the consumer protection laws should mean that a washing machine has to last at least 20 years or the manufacturer needs to replace it.

If a washing machine built to last costs €1000 new, instead of €300 that's fine because nobody really benefits from the €300 euro device that breaks after 4 years and is thrown away because its 'out of warranty' while a 1000 euro washing machine will be sold 2nd hand for 300 and still have more than 4 years life, while still being better at washing clothes than the cheaper one would have been brand new.

There should be a thriving market for 2nd hand goods. I'd prefer to buy a good quality 2nd hand device that I know will last, than a crappy badly made new device that works for a while, breaks and is thrown away.

These events have happened, but at nowhere near the rate they are happening now

We are in a shifting climate, the old records are tumbling almost everywhere at the same time.

That is unprecedented in recorded history.

(and we're only at the start of climate change, 1.2c warming out of a likely 3c warming if we get to 560ppm of CO2)

I have never said 'Have faith'

Renewable energy has been pumping out electrons for decades. The changes recently are incremental improvements to well understood technologies.

Completely different to Fusion which has passed one hurdle out of a thousand other hurdles to get to a single commercially viable fusion reactor

If we get there, wonderful. In the meantime, , Fission, plus renewable energy + storage is required

If CCS can be proven to be commercially viable, this might also be part of the mix, but so far it's nothing but empty promises from the fossil fuel industry,

Who's funding it?

Obviously it's the foxes who have gotten together to form a hedge fund so they can pay the Greens to turn rural Ireland into a fox utopia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Newstalk has never had balance. It's a special interest media organisation that pushes agendas in an attempt to shape public opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

The poster said:

Consuming is getting more expensive for everyone everywhere. That’s just a fact. And if it slows down consumption then that is a good thing.

So the poster wants to slow down consumption which is in direct contradiction with capitalism which wants to sell more products to more people to create more profit which creates more wealth.

See the logic now?

And how do you know they never happened at this rate ? Did you go back in time with Marty mcfly or something because you know as well as anyone that weather records prior to a couple of hundred years ago are based on proxy and are guess work. They aren't a reliable source

Most probably big renewable energy companies whom your eyes are the saviour but more realistic are the new version of shell oil etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,287 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

we re over simplifying such claims, we must be very careful when making such statements, capitalism hasnt actually always been like this, this is a relatively new form of it, and a highly destructive one at that, whereby the overall aim is to maximize production and consumption, in order to maximize profits, its clearly starting to collapse, i.e. its actually still possible in having a capitalist economy and society, without some of this baggage....

Even if Eamon Ryan had commissioned a LNG terminal on the Day Russia invaded Ukraine, that terminal wouldn't have been operational by this winter.

The Shannon LNG terminal has been held up in planning and the courts long before ER became the energy minister

The investors tried to cut corners by not doing the necessary environmental impact assessments, and the EU commission agreed that these needed to be conducted and they eventually abandoned the proposal because of falling prices for Gas that made their project commercially unviable. All of this happened under governments not controlled by the green party.

In 2017 in response to Brexit, the project was dug up and revived, but the planning permissions had lapsed and they still hadn't done the necessary environmental assessments and they were challenged in court because they don't comply with EU habitats directive

Long story short, if FF and FG and Labour environment ministers couldn't get this through in over a decade of trying, how is Eamon Ryan responsible for not having an LNG terminal in place by this winter?

I never said you did. I said that nobody here, no matter how many times they have been asked has given a figure as to how much more renewables greens want thrown at the problem and how much that will cost. So far the most memorable answer has been "Have faith"

I presume you expecting another poster to answer your question on the cost of his suggestion means you have the answer. Yes/No ?

The thing about records, is that they're recorded

I'll let you think about that one

The investors tried to cut corners by not doing the necessary environmental impact assessments.... Lol the bloody greens want to fast track every wind solar plant through planning , do you see the irony ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Replying with insults i see. The preserve of a child.

Advertisement