Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I'm an idiot. There's an entire part to the guide that I didn't finish! It has RGH3 on there now but turns on then just powers off.

...because I accidentally haven't linked POST, SMC_POST SMC_PLL and Bypass.

I need a 3k resistor though which I don't have. To Amazon!

I hope I haven't ballsed it up. Although I suspect that it's powering down when trying to glitch due to lack of access to... whatever it needs access to.

To Amazon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

My Hakko FX-888D arrived this morning from the Netherlands. It's a big step up from the cheapo Amazon irons for sure, and the silicon cable wrap on the iron itself is something I'd never thought of, but makes it way easier to move around without the cable becoming a problem. Did the checks most people recommend online and its not a fake or very old stock(manufactured this year).

Also got a few rewritable NFC tags to test for a little cataloging and security project I'm planning for my retro gear. The below tag is the smallest I could get at a reasonable price that can hold a usable amount of data(144 bytes in this case, which is enough for my needs).

And not directly retro related, but my Flipper Zero arrived yesterday after a 2 year wait. It can do a lot of cool nerd stuff once you know how to use it. I have a few retro projects in mind for it once some of the GPIO stuff I see people working on come out. For now I'm just playing with the Sub-Ghz, NFC and RFID side of things with it. I'll probably tell my neighbour it was me accidentally opening his garage doors about 10 time yesterday :)

Oooooh that flipper certainly has... interesting uses. :-P

Off to go clone some hotel keys are ya? :-D

Not done keys yet, but I did a few Amiibo tests from ones I own and cloned directly as well as downloaded. All works fine. So many uses for this thing, both good and evil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,097 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Remind me never to install anything with an electrically controlled lock!

Just watched some videos, that's a really cool device and the type of thing I love messing about with, will have to pick one up!

Post edited by o1s1n on

• Advertisement

Yeah its a pretty cool thing. Even the Infrared stuff is turning out to be more useful than I expected. Definitely worth the money, but maybe not the 2 year wait 🙂

Is the TL866II Plus still pretty much the best option for burning retro rom chips(with the various adapters)?

I'm looking to pick one up, but if there's a better option out there that people are using for under €200-250 I'd love to hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I got one of the older versions of the TL866 and a GQ4X. Both are very good but have their own advantages & limitations.

First one I got was the GQ4X a good few years ago to program Amiga kickstarts and it comes with the correct adapters for those EPROM types. Used it for loads of different PROM/EPROM/Flash types, its doesn't program GALs though which I why I bought the TL866.

The TL866 doesn't directly support 27C400's (Amiga kickstarts) so you need a custom adapter and use device type 27C4096 instead I believe.

Software for both is pretty crap, the TL866 does have a opensource cmdline 'minipro' which is handy when added to vscode to do build-flash in one step for dev work

Thanks for that info.

I see some TL866II bundles with a load of adapters included for about €100-150. Only problem is they seem to have about 10 different brands and I'm not sure where to buy them. Ali looks dodge for them, Amazon has them but not many reviews. RS do have them, but its nearly €300 for the device on its own there.

Ah they're all the same really, definitely wouldn't be paying 300 for it though. None of the supplied adapters with program Amiga roms, you'll need to get something like this as well

• Advertisement

This is the one I purchased back in 2020 after purchasing another eeprom programmer that I thought could do the job but couldn't.

Was only £40 at the time but they seem to have shot way up in price and Wingoneer don't seem to be doing them anymore it looks like. Try to get the original XGecu TL866II Plus if you can... but really even the clones will work fine. Infact I used it just the other day to program a Duke 3D repro for a friend that I'm visiting in NYC in a few weeks time.

They work well with one of these bank switching adapters for Mega Drive for instance:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/284253939959?hash=item422edae8f7:g:IqcAAOSw1uJgk5cG

Works well for burning Sega Naomi bios chips too.

I would say don't go mad buying a bunch of adapters but at the same time they can come in handy too as I used one for a PIC chip a little while ago to create a PS1 modchip.

Definitely don't go spending mad money though you should find a reasonably priced one on AliExpress or the likes, and like The Last Bandit said they're all mostly the same as long as they're TL866ii or so.

Wait, looks like Amazon DE have it for a reasonable price:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/WINGONEER-TL866II-Performance-EEPROM-Programmer/dp/B07B985LBS

Ohh and also I've noticed a weird quirk with mine, not sure if it's unique to my particular unit or not but it point blank refuses to work correctly if I use the USB ports on my PC that are at the front.

I have to use the USB ports on the motherboard itself for to read or be detected by the XGecu software properly.

Sorry for the post spam, I don't appear to be able to edit previous posts.

Thanks guys, I had a look around and might risk the newer T48 (TL866-3G) direct from XGecu. VPP Voltage goes up to 25v, which is something I might need in the future(TL866II maxes out around 18V).

I just need to do a bit more research on it now to make sure it will work with what I need. It seems fairly new, so not many independent reviews of it.

Well it is "Cool and Portable" :)

I've been trying to improve my soldering skills and was getting bored of desoldering and resoldering old pc motherboards, so thought I'd give those simple kits from Amazon a go and actually make something.

The games are junk(Tetris is sort of serviceable), but that's not really the point. Was a nice fun one to make and ended up with something the kids can play with. Probably a bit too simple to be honest, but it got me soldering today so at least there's that. Solder isn't super shiny as its lead free and the flux I got seems to take the shine off it if you use a bit too much(which i do).

I have a good bit to go before I'd be happy to do any serious work inside any of my retro gear, but practice makes perfect and all that 🙂

Welp... I couldn't get the RGH3 hack to work on the Trinity. That Trinity I bought was in awful condition anyway so I've decided to just add it to the e-waste pile along with the other Mega Drive that I messed up.

Heading out later today to pick up a phat Xbox 360 which should be a little easier to work with. Nabbed for only a tenner on adverts so definitely not breaking the bank.

Sooo I plugged in the Xbox 360 and it had a red ring. Nooo! Wasn't the typical three red rings though just the one which is "hardware failure" but not "general hardware failure".

Disconnected the hard drive and it booted straight up... so took apart the hard drive caddy from the Trinity Slim and rehoused it in the oldstyle phat case.

Works a charm now, just need to update it to the latest dashboard and wait for some zenner diodes to arrive tomorrow so that I can attempt to RGH3 hack it now that I'm more familiar with the process.

• Advertisement

I picked up a couple of m27c512 EPROMs the other day and one of them just will not erase in my UV EPROM eraser. The other one erased fine after about 15-20 mins and was usable, but this one chip just holds the old data on it, even after 1 hour in the UV chamber.

I took some close up pics in case there is anything physical that's damaged and visible through the window, but it looks fine to me(all internal pins/connectors seem to be hooked up and unbroken).

Anyone have a better eye on this and can see an issue I'm missing? I know it might just be a dodgy chip, but if I can save it it'll make life a lot easier as I don't have spares of this chip type, just the amount I need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭Inviere

No knowledge on the subject itself Steve, but the photography is class. Amazing to see those details. If I were to throw a blind guess, I'd say just a faulty chip given the other one erased successfully.

Yeah probably dead and that's it. Just weird that its holding the data already on it completely intact, even after the UV.

I use the microscope quite often these days for fine soldering, it takes a decent pic compared to my older one. The 10 inch screen is a gift for the soldering and general up close tinkering.

Chip look genuine, you can try to alter the programming options to see if it helps.

Disable the Blank check, Skip 0xFF and Verify options and increase the pulse delay time, this will force a programming cycle.

I'm using my old cheap no name USB programmer I got years ago while I wait for the new fancy one from Ali. I'm not sure I have all those options as its not a GQ 4x4 or TL866II. Maybe when the XGecu T48 arrives I'll have better luck.

Some chips will honestly take hours to erase properly, especially a 512 chip.

Leave it in the UV eraser for a period of 24hrs then try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Never heard of a 'HitBox' before...but a novel use of a PS2 Phat case

https://www.adverts.ie/accessories/custom-hitbox-ps5-xbox-nintendo-switch-pc/27113358

Anybody here use/build a TZXDuino? Just wondering if it's still the best option for cassette games....seems a bit of a minefield out there - TZXDuino, TZXDuino Reloaded, MAXduino....

After watching a couple of videos from Noels Retro Lab on YouTube I decided I needed one myself. He went with the TZXDuino Reloaded, so i was leaning that way myself. I was going to go the PCBWAY/JLPCB route with the gerber files and maybe make some customisations to the look(but not design).

• Advertisement

Yeah my plan was to put one together myself too, but, in typical fashion, no single retailer of components has everything you need. From a preliminary look this morning, I counted at least x3 retailers that I'd have to buy from...of course all with their own handling charges and delivery charges.

For what should be a cheap and simple tape deck emulator, this has pushed the price to bananas levels. Currently looking at the Maxduino Ultimate here, but as a complete product. Really not sure what direction to take.

Advertisement