Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,549 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Remember fibre cable won't tolerate sharp bends etc. and is therefore a bit more difficult to route than electrical cable. You will have to make it as easy as possible for the installer on the day.

Would it be possible to route it externally, from the ETU, to an entry point near the utility?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 banjostring

Yes - I think that’s exactly what I’ll have to do. I’ll get the new fibre cable as far as the ETU and will then have to surface mount it to the wall in some sort of suitable conduit, then bring it into the attic. From the attic it’s a handy route to where I want to position the new ONT. Also considering hiring a cobra reel some Saturday to check my ducting is ok. As from what I’ve read the installers just need any excuse to abandon a job, although the NBI site does say that the installers will rectify any broken / blocked ducting. I would have my doubts though !!

A point to note installers will not enter the attic to run the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭creedp

Don't mention the war! I've just realised that the ducting bringing the existing telephone cable from road to ETU is actually 25mm blue hydraware and not the 50mm red ducting that appears in the ETU. Another short cut taken by builder that I was unaware of.

Can anyone advise if possible to rod a fibre cable through 25mm hydraware?

Was thinking that ! So was planning to be here myself on the day to do the donkey work for them !!

• Advertisement

How long is your ducting run ?

I would think you should have no issue getting the fibre cable through the 25mm hydrodare. It might be a bit tight though and you may lose your existing phone cable though !!

If I were you I would get my hands on a cobra reel and rod from the pole to the ETU. Then tape a good strong string to the cobra reel and reverse it back to the pole. You will then effectively have the duct “roped” for the installer and that exercise should also identify if you can actually fit your existing phone line and the new fibre line side by side in the same duct, as it’s going to be very tight for space.

The only other issue I could see is if these two cables being so close together would cause interference??

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Fibre won't interfere with anything. It's light travelling along glass, it doesn't have a magnetic field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

We had a similar situation in our install. In my case, the fibre was pulled into the ETU in my gable wall, then we drilled a small hole in the top of the box and ran the fibre outside the external wall through the soffit, and into the attic, then across the attic and down into the room where I have my networking gear. We didn't use any conduit on the run up the wall, just secured the cable to the wall using cable clips like this:

I did the attic portion with the installer pushing the cable up through the soffit from the outside. We sealed the drilled hole in the top of the ETU with a lot of silicone.

Post edited by heavydawson on

Ducting is about 37m. I tried to rod a plumbing auger down duct but met resistance at only 3.4m so not optimistic that the fibre cable can be rodded through the duct. May just go with overhead option which will work but requires a pole to be located where I don't want it.

Our ducting was causing issues as well, so we ended up taping the fibre to the existing CAT5 phone cable, and using the existing cat5 to pull through the fibre (I don't use my phone line at all). Did the job!

• Advertisement

I use the the phone cable in the ducted to operate electric gates so would have to install a wireless system if I was to pull through the phone cable. In any case there seems to be resistance when pulling the phone cable so, knowing the builder, it's possible he didn't use a single length of duct. Joys of not being on site to supervise building work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I mentioned this to the installer and his reply was "Where is that coming from, because it's not so".

He proceeded to get up in the attic and do everything there that I thought (from reading this thread) I had to do myself.

Are you using the same cable for the gates and the phone line? Is that even possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

What type of surface is there between the pole and house?

That would appear to be an exception like some others have mentioned here, great that they do but goes against their own rules.

I don't have a landline telephone as Eircom wouldn't install the poles to bring line 500m from main road even though there are 5 houses on the road we live on.

Builder installed the phone line in a duct during build and I subsequently used it to run the electric gate.

Unfortunately I'd have to cut through tarmac and lift patio cobbles

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

my house has no landline connection, its 1km from the nearest pole,up a lane,and approx 700m as the crow flies.......the nbi site has given us a date for likely connection am wondering would distance from nearest connect be a disincentive for them?!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

They're building fibre connections on offshore islands. I think you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

Hoping someone might be able to answer my questions relating to installs - couldn't find anything in the thread.

I live in a ~100 year old cottage that's been renovated, it's pretty small but now very modernised and is about 30ft from the roadway. Currently have Imagine fixed wireless. I have a telephone line installed but it was never activated as Eir could only offer me a 3mb or less DSL connection. The telephone comes overhead from a pole outside on the roadway and into the cottage via the porch 'gable'. I am the last house connected to that telephone line as I have no neighbours for 700m or so each direction.

Currently, I have built a new annex/studio that has my network rack in it and where I work from home. There is CAT6 going from rack in studio back to house and the house itself is wired with CAT6. I've actually got my fixed wireless antenna on the house, then CAT6 to studio rack to a pfSense firewall, then a CAT6 back to a switch in the house for LAN there.

Does anyone know if, firstly, will they bring fibre into the house without underground ducting (i'd have to destroy my front garden/paths etc), and if so, what is the process?

Also, if I wanted them to bring the fibre straight to the studio, and not the house, do you think they'd accommodate this too? Again, no ducting available.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

• Advertisement

They will do overhead for the new fibre line, probably follow the same route as the copper telephone line. As regards where they will connect this can be discussed with the installers on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

The KN installers in general are sound and will position the ONT anywhere you need as long as you have a power supply near the entry point

Went with overhead connection as it was the most straightforward and connection is now up and running. Installer said I was getting over 500mbps when he checked. However, I'm only getting 200 - 250mbps on WiFi (both laptop and phone) when beside router. Also checked Netflix on TV connected via Ethernet and only getting 57mbps. Finally only getting 50mbps using a TP-Link powerline adaptor rated for 300mbps. Are these unusual readings or does it take time for service to settle down?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

ESB have shut off the electricity today on my road to install fibre which is positive. October is roll out date apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭snapper365

You should expect to be getting 500Mbps immediately. That said, if the engineer tested it at 500Mbps then you probably are getting 500Mbps into your router, and I'd guess your problem exists after that point.

Your WiFi speeds do seem on the slow side, considering they're taken beside the router. I tend to get 400-450 from my 500Mbps connection on my mobile when beside my router. The problem is that it's WiFi - the slowdown could be due to interference from other devices, and/or the mobile/laptop you're using to test it might be limited in what speed they can support.

I'd be tempted to dismiss the wired speedtest you performed using the TV entirely. Many Smart TVs use low spec network cards for their wired connections, and the speeds they can support are often restricted to 100Mbps. Manufacturers don't see the value in installing more expensive network cards that can support higher speeds, when the max speed the TV is likely to ever need is circa 25Mbps (which is what it takes to stream 4k). So a card that can support 100Mbps is perfectly adequate. in fact, you might find you get a faster speed to the TV from a WiFi connection as the TV will probably support Wifi 5.

Similarly the powerline is not a very reliable indicator of the speed you're getting - though it's rated for 300mbps, it's entirely dependent on the wiring in your home as to how effective it is.

If you want to know what speed is being delivered to your router, you'll have to do a wired speedtest directly into the router, ensuring you use both a cable and a laptop that can support at least 500Mbps.

I'd be surprised if you did that and didn't see the speed you should be getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

General being the operative word 🙄

The two I had the other day were anything but sound.

My story starts back in Oct 2021 when I rang Vodafone about renewing my contract as they were putting the price up.

I was told I could now get fibre.

I signed up & was given an engineer appointment. On the due date the engineer turned up as promised & proceeded to rod the various ducting leading to my house. He found a problem at one 90 degree junction where the ducting cover was buried under earth on the right of way behind my house. He said a K & N civil crew would have to bring the cover to the surface & he would make the necessary arrangements. Fair enough I said as I didn't know how far under ground the cover was.

The fibre cable would finally be entering the house here at this cover. (See photo)

I told him that the cable would have to go up the wall,into the attic which is boarded & drop down into the hall where the existing modem is. This is because the route that the existing copper cable takes has since been lost & would be impossible to follow. The existing copper cable was brought in when the house was built about forty years ago.

He said this would be no problem & was glad because he said some customers were difficult to deal with because where they wanted the fibre cable to go. He departed.

Fast forward ten months & five missed deadlines before the ducting cover was finally brought to the surface. The cover was actually only about 9 inches under the hard core surface & the civil crew took only about an hour to raise it & put a new cover on it.

The original engineer came back two days ago about 2pm but had to go away again to locate his colleague to help him lift the ducting cover that the civil crew had installed. The engineers phone had no service because EIR mobile was down in the area. Fair enough he was back in about fifteen minutes with his mate in another van.

They pulled the fibre cable through he various ducting until they reached the ducting cover at the gable of my house (photo shows the cover in question) It was now about 4.15pm.

Then the trouble started.

Theres about 18" length of sand & cement a few inches deep under which the existing cable pipe is buried which they refused to take up. (see photo)

"We'll have to get the civil crew to do that"

The first fellow then says "where will the cable go after that ?"

Up the wall I said, into the loft & drop down into the hall where the modem is.

"Oh we can't do that"

I replied that's not what you said the last time you were here. If you wanted this work to be done you should have told me & I would have done it for you.

The second fellow pipes in with "We're only allowed to take the cable a metre into a customers house" to which I replied "Where are you going to get with a metre ? That would hardly take you through the wall."

I was this close to telling the two of them to piss off but I bit my tongue & said that they could take the cable the easy way that I had pointed out to them or they could bring it in whatever way they wanted.

I walked away before I said something I might regret.

I came back about ten minutes later & said to the first fellow "Have you decided what way you're going to go"

He said "I have made arrangements for the civil crew to take out that length of pipe & reinstall it again.They will tell you when they are coming.

We will bring the cable up the wall,into the loft & drop it down into the hall where the existing modem is"

I thought to myself isn't that what I suggested to you ten minutes ago 🙄

At that stage I left them & went back inside as I'd had more than enough of the two of them. It was like dealing with a couple of sloths.

I await a call from the civil crew as to when they're going to come.

Probably another ten months time.

The two boys had no longer left than I had a phone call from who ever sets up the appointments asking if I was happy with the work that had been carried out outside. I'd say she's sorry she phoned as I was not complementary on the two K & N fellows. She said she would prioritize the work which could mean any time in the next decade.

Its no wonder nothing ever gets done in this country 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Sligoboy21

Hi. Sorry this may have been mentioned before. Just ordered fiber because nbi is finally available for my house. I'm waiting on engineer to come out about bringing cable to my house. I have a small box at side of house below meter box with ducting but no phone line coming in as it phone line doesn't come pass my house. I presume they can bring fiber cable through that? Only thing is I have no idea where it comes out at other end near road. Will this be problem? Also when I opened that box it has 1 cat5e cable. No idea where it goes. I have 3 phone point in house. One inside front door with 1 cat 5e cable other in kitchen and bedroom with two cat5e cable. Are these any good for fiber or what is my options?

The box is the ETU, as above in heavydawson's post, and they will use it if possible to bring in the fibre cable.

Is the main fibre line on the road overhead on a pole or underground in ducting/chamber?

As regards the existing ethernet cable in the ETU it probably/possibly goes back to a central point where it meets the 3 cables from the telephone sockets (star layout) in the attic/utility/etc. or is looped from 1 socket to the next etc. (daisy-chain loop). If looped there may be 2 cables behind two of the telephone faceplates or if all have 2 or more cables they could be from a central point, difficult to say for sure behind my keyboard.

Depending on the layout of the cable, if star, it could be used to feed each socket from the router via the existing ethernet cable, e.g. ONT -> router -> switch -> RJ45 sockets. The ONT is the point where the fibre optical signal converts to an electrical signal for the router.

I have 3 phone point in house. One inside front door with 1 cat 5e cable other in kitchen and bedroom with two cat5e cable.

That could indicate a daisy-chain loop. Are the sockets with the 2 cables both wired into the back of the socket? This was the recommended telephone wiring scheme maybe 10-20+ years ago and may have been used in more recent times too.

spoke too soon about KN/NBI , they arrived at the neighbours house this morning , duct was blocked from underground DP , will have to get a crew out to sort it , me being my nosy self , suggested to take it from the new pole which is right outside the house and was told , "we would love to but thats not the assigned DP " apparently you are assigned a DP and that's it , now instead of getting an install today its going to take a "while" for the other crew to turn up and going to cost a lot more money for KN /NB to sort the underground ducting , seems a bit crazy to me , or is there a rational reason that pre assigned DP's can't be changed for good reasons .

• Advertisement

Seems I was wrong , Ground work team from KN have arrived and all will be sorted today , I really have too much time on my hands 😀

Big take up of NBI connections in our small area , of the 10 homes within 100m , 9 of the 10 have been connected .

Advertisement