Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Are you on the planet that wants 10% servicing on our national debt leading to increased taxes and decreased spending on infastructure?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

The same paradox I would argue existed in the last 10 years after the GFC; inflation was measuring at below 2% and it did not seem like the ECB could get it higher, yet at the same time individuals were experiencing a perpetual increase to their cost of living while salaries were not shooting up and therefore felt like they were getting poorer. However, despite what individuals felt in their own pockets, they were told and macro measures demonstrated that the economy was booming and inflation was low. The paradox was therefore that the economy was both growing in strength and at the same time individuals were getting weaker financially. However, we know that the strength of the economy was a sham and a fraudulent picture based on central bank two card tricks in policy with QE and low interest rates. Never should the asset bubble have been blown up without letting the non-asset holders getting some piece of that pie.

The current outlook seems like a paradox but it actually is not; it is just a case of the chickens of the last ten years coming home to roost. What is happening now is that the official inflation metrics are capturing the cost of living boom we have seen in the last decade solely as a result of central bankers' actions. Assets have been in an artificially created bubble and need to be corrected with interest rate rises and QE or else we will keep seeing a further need for individuals to be thrown some of that QE themselves in order to keep their heads above the inflation waters (which of course will entrench inflation). Therefore, looking at assets, we see a huge central bank created bubble that has stoked cost of living pressures which needs to be cooled dramatically and at the same time we need to see the individuals protected from runaway cost of living pressures (note: cost of living in a general sense as opposed to the limited official inflation measured cost of living). It is not a paradox to claim that there are parts of the economy (i.e. the bubbles) that need to be contained with interest rate rises and parts that need to be better insulated (i.e. the so-called real economy) from the severe global economic headwinds (i.e. Brexit (still waiting for that to fully materialise), China, Russia/Ukraine conflict, 3rd world debt crisis, PIIG national debt default risk, populism in Europe and the U.S. etc.).

The net effect is that a "manufactured" haircut to assets will happen which will impact property and result in a technical recession, while at the same time governments need to stimulate their real economies and prop up the cash-dependent individuals. Can such a scenario be engineered in a soft-landing manner? Personally, I have seen some predictions of a cataclysmic event in late 2023 that triggers the pausing of interest rate rises and re-introduction of QE, but what that is remains to be seen. Maybe the failure to implement a "soft-landing"?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LJ12345

i don’t think that’s what anyone wants, but inflation will end up spiralling out of control unless it’s brought back down, it’s going to be painful either way but higher interest rates (now and not later when it’s completely out of hand) are the lesser of the two evils, only this time because of the energy situation it’s going to be extra painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Ok, please use one of the mortgage payment calculator tools available online, see what an interest rate of 10% would be over the lifetime or your mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Inflation is being caused by higher energy costs. The cost of fuel is leaving the economy. A jump by the ECB to an interbank rate of 10% would not necessarily solve inflation, howe er it would collapse the economy.

10% interbank rate would have a mortgage rate of 12-14%, a business lending rate of 13-16% and a personal lending rate of 15-20%.

Somebody suggesting that the ECB rises interest rates rise to 10% like Nermal suggested has no idea about the effects it would have.

The ECB has been slower to rise rates than other central banks however it has to account for many different economies within the EU

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

Where did this canard come from, that inflation driven by energy costs cannot be addressed by increasing interest rates? It's simply incorrect.

I'm sure it would be the exact opposite of fine. It's just better than the alternative: letting inflation get out of control, a path which we are well advanced on.

That’s not true, inflation was embedding itself before the Ukraine invasion through supply chain issues and increased demand from money printing coming out of the pandemic, this is an issue on its own and still exists. Energy costs are now a secondary inflationary problem we’re all facing.

C.Banks aren’t about to increase rates to 10% in one fell swoop, that’s not how they work and as you're aware, it’s not what I suggested. But they do need to take some money out of the system quicker than they are at present so they have some sort of control.

https://www.global-rates.com/en/economic-indicators/inflation/2021.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Rising energy costs is the main driver of inflation at present and is not a secondary problem. Just look at the CPI for July YTD

I think you’re splitting hairs here, it’s an additional inflation, yes it’s the main driver since March, but had it not occurred the CB would still be facing the same dilemma of rising inflation from the pandemic.

• Advertisement

I dis not say it couldn't be but, I said it would not necessarily. The inflation in the early 70 was driven by oil prices. As an economy in the 70's we were less dependent on energy and even though interest rates were quite high hitting 16% and guess what it did not effect oil prices.

It was Nermal suggested the CB should do it. It very hard to slow down or stop inflation when it caused by higher energy costs. The cure can be worse than the problem.

The other thing was during the 70's house prices kept rising faster than people could save a deposit.

Slava Ukrainii

It would be but that inflation would be easier to control. 1-1.5% rise in Interest rates ( going from -0.5-1% would probably have solved the issue. Now it a different driver of inflation. Energy prices are driving it. But oil prices are dropping it the demand for gas is the issue.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

It's amazing how some can see the dangers of escalating costs to homeowners, but blind to escalating costs to renters

I’m not blind to either, but you can’t magically make either appear, no matter which party is in Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

I think the point is that if IR's were ~10% the capital you would need to borrow would a lot lot less that you would have to borrow now, so that is a pretty pointless comparison to make. Or do you think it IR's were ~10% the prices would be the same as they are now?

People think that when the fortunes of one go up, the fortunes of the other go down

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

Yes what you are saying is 100% true when the ECB was set up managing inflation is and was its original function. It’s failing at its basic mandate.

This was to ensure that the Germans who were savers didn’t end up with an Italian style policy in the ECB.

Managing employment, avoiding recessions is in its mandate but this can’t interfere with preventing inflation. But the reality is that EU has the potential to collapse completely if interest rates are too high due to huge debt burdens so real politic wins out.

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/mopo/intro/html/index.en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Interesting commentary on inflation by Charlie Munger.

https://youtu.be/v5UCmsXpngA

Italy, Spain and maybe Ireland should be kicked out of the euro because they can't balance their books as required by euro rules but doesn't seem likely.....

No consequence to bad behaviour, doesn't sound great.

I do not think you listened to it all and if you did you did not understand what he said. Very intelligent man.

Why should Ireland be kicked out of the Euro, maybe in 2010 but at present it's obeying the rules

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Demographics or the EU shows a declining ageing population and the baby boomers era of peak spending is over. A free market with no intervention would indicate lower GDPs as consumption would be gradually dropping off every year. So ECB in order to create and spur on growth QE the bollox out of the place and prior to Covid 2020 had to introduce negative interest rates as the still were just about able to create positive GDP.

The whole system is completely broken, population in the western world in on the decline meaning less growth and less spending. We cannot keeping chasing 'Growth' or 'GDP' by QE and negative interest rates. There needs to be a total overhaul of this system

unfortunately it’ll be left to the system to overhaul itself. But it’ll be messy and there’ll be a lot of casualties

so many people think that we can get back to how we were

El erian extremely critical of central banks and not confident they are up to the challenges that await them

Interesting when compared against the Charlie Munger video earlier

A window into how investment funds buying up property might play out into the future, will be interesting to see if there is any spillover of the problems in USA to Ireland. Many of the same players involved.

Yes I know there are many armchair economists on YouTube, but this guys commentary and concerns have been fairly accurate

40,000 increase in construction workers in the 12 months to the 2nd quarter of 2022, a 31.4% increase.

A slowdown in the UK, EU, USA and material prices decreasing plus the vacant land everywhere and tax revenues bursting at the seams. It would appear that all the ducks have lined up for a progressive government to implement policy that finally solves our housing issues into the future, assuming the will to do so exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I wish he didn't use such clickbaity headlines/images cos his analysis is generally very good.

35% for lecky and 39% for gas price increase from 1st of October with airtricity

Our winter sun holiday will pay for itself. Summer hols this year cancelled obviously

My grandmothers house (living in it atm) has an old solid fuel stanley range that heats radiators of the whole house. The range also has hot plates and an oven. We use and cut our own turf still but my god when I think how self sufficient we used be. It is totally backwards were heading.

Cut and save your own turf, use the turf to both heat your house, hot water and range used for cooking. Needless to say the chimney will be cleaned and the range will be roaring all winter as I luckily got a fair amount of turf cut this year. Its like they want to take this all away much like the farming so we are totally reliant on the state/big corporations and totally at their mercy.

Summer holidays you say - there will be more summer holidays on the bog for the next few years. Bog tan is always better than the Algarve tan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

--i do not think you listened to it all--. I mean this is a remarkable statement. Can you also tell what I had for breakfast?

In answer to your question, Ireland should be kicked out of the euro because it is too indebted. Rising interest rates would likely cause a recession and destroy us due to government borrowing expenses and according to Munger the printing is going to have huge consequences. Right now, rates should be raised similar to USA in the 70s but cannot because of the PIIGS and in particular IIS.

We could still be in the EU but just revert to the punt for 5 - 10 years or until we sorted out public finances.

Post edited by mcsean2163 on

Advertisement