Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

She's still bring people in. With that kind of money she could buy property in Poland and give them a forever home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

There is also nothing stopping me opening my house to a Ukrainian. I have chosen not to. That doesn't really change anything. We will see how many of these open houses remain open when the Ukrainians move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So you will be opening your home to no one in need but you feel suitable placed to judge others who do.

Cool. 👌

I won't be opening my home, but I won't also be listening to people 'because' they chose to open theirs to Ukrainians. I have made clear where I stand on this as a whole. I won't be doing anything half-arsed.

I am saying it will be interesting to see how many of these open homes stay open for the homeless or those in DP etc. when their Ukrainian lodgers have moved out. No judgement there.

Call it curiosity. It's not as if all the problems become solved once the Ukrainian(s) staying with them, find alternative accommodation, or go back.

So you are pearl clutching for other people in need whilst absolutely refusing to help anyone but you are judging people who do?

Amazing.

😂

• Advertisement

Where am I doing either?

I have already pointed out that there is no judgement, it is just curiosity. I have also pointed out where I stand. No 'pearl clutching' on behalf of one group over another from this poster. I'll leave that to the usual here.

It was a decent attempt at moving away from the original point made though, it only took you what, 2 or 3 posts?

I won't be around for a bit now, as I have to go, so I can't help you deflect further, sorry about that.

Pick another post and try and skew a sentence from that one, Might work for a bit.

Nope

The bullsh*t that people are spewing here about having compassion and empathy for them doesn't change that. Maybe it's time to start being realistic and having empathy or compassion for more than these people who, let's be honest, most are just arguing the case just because there are people who are saying we are full. I wonder how strong their feelings would be if people started to say the homeless should be housed in the 'open homes' for Ukrainians, or those in DP. We already know how a few of the same posters feel about them from the other threads.

Not only are you judging people in general you are judging specific people on here.

You are pretending to care about one group to demonise another whilst simultaneously not giving a fúck about either.

It's classic pearl clutching.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Well at least you gave everyone fair warning at the beginning of your post…

However you appear to be having some difficulty keeping up with the thread, so let me catch you up to speed, paraphrasing of course-

1. Daisy pointed out that some eejit poster claimed before that schools are not oversubscribed.
    2. I provided an example to demonstrate what is meant by oversubscribed, like 1,500 applications for 250 places, y’know, the sort of thing that is pretty much limited to the Dublin Metro area as you described.
    3. Daisy then moved the goalposts and suggested that schools are oversubscribed and overcrowded… which is again false, but I figured fcuk it, I’m out.
    4. Boggles provided recent evidence from the Department of Education’s own statistics that showed that schools are not overcrowded, they’re struggling to stay open because they haven’t got the pupil numbers.

Now you’re coming at it from the perspective of teachers who cannot afford to rent accommodation in the Dublin metro area, or wherever that refers to, I’m not exactly certain, but something tells me the boundary is at the end of your own nose. I’m not one bit surprised that teachers can’t afford to live in one of the most expensive cities to live in, in the world - they’re paid peanuts! Their work isn’t valued as it should be by our Government. When there were talks of industrial action here a couple of weeks ago, people here got their knickers in an awful bunch, I’d say there was still people pulling their knickers from between their ass-cheeks when the whole Ukrainian refugee situation ramped up, and their knickers shot right back up there and have been wedged ever since 😒

Of course there’s a shortage of teachers, and schools are having difficulty getting teachers, and that IS a national issue, which has been going on for the best part of a decade before now. Why? Because the pay and conditions are shìt, and even when teachers are qualified and they do a stint abroad in the Stans, they come back and they’re actually surprised things aren’t the same as when they left.

Really? Ireland stopped because Aoife and Cian went to find themselves in Thailand or the Australian outback or wherever, and they come back and expect to walk into a teaching position? They might do if their position had been held for them, while they were gone and other qualified teachers are having to claim social welfare while they’re waiting on a panel, but otherwise, no, that’s not how the system which they’ve chosen as their careers actually functions - they’re paid shìt, and they’re expected to put up with shìt. Many NQTs aren’t prepared to put up with that, others have no choice, and Government is absolutely aware of that too. There’s nothing gets past Foley I can assure you, she being a former teacher and all, eyes in the back of her head 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The practical reality was in regards to the state of their English, and the ability to operate in Irish classrooms without undue effects on the native students.

Who could have predicted that you surround yourself with people who are as bitter and resentful as you are? I’m not even going to bother swapping anecdotes with you because their utility is of no consequence whatsoever - teachers who are shìt at their job or are unwilling to do their job, should be exited from the profession, rather than taking up spaces of those people who want to teach, and understand the basics of classroom management, child development and children’s rights, because you and your buddies sure as hell don’t appear to be keen on putting the knowledge I know you have, into practice.

The claim that Ukrainian children cannot exist is a classroom.... ? Where the F did that come from?

Why do you persist in introducing claims that weren't made, or shifting the goalposts so much?

You're not arguing in good faith.

• Advertisement

The claim that Ukrainian children cannot exist is a classroom

From you good self.

The issue is their ability to exist in a classroom where the majority of other students are Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

That is obviously their ability to be there and not impede the learning of other students due to language barriers. It’s pretty obvious but you’re looking for some kind of gotcha from it. It undermines everything you post when you go down this route repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I'd rely on the teachers handling this, rather than opinions from randos on boards.ie, but hey, anything to have a pop at the refugees. IMO as a rando on boards.ie, I think the Ukrainian refugee children will do fine in Irish schools and pick up the customs and English quickly. The ones I've seen around seem perfectly ordinary to me, bar the language. Riding around on bikes, kicking the soccer ball around, swinging on swing sets (all this at a defunct hotel now used as a refugee center.)

Thanks for your hot take on it, but that particular poster is well able to speak for himself.

Personally I would trust the teachers, they are professionals.

Oh ffs, one sentence within a paragraph, taken out of context of the overall post.

As the other poster said you're looking for a gotcha moment, than dealing with what's been written.

I'd rely on the teachers handling this, rather than opinions from randos on boards.ie, but hey, anything to have a pop at the refugees.

What in, any of my posts on education, is a pop at refugees? Their English ability is important. Their effect on Irish students is important. Neither of which is a pop at the refugees.

You just don't want any commentary of the negatives. Dismiss and deflect.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

So, please provide a real negative, not a pop at the refugees. Your the one with the evocative language like "exist." Have the teachers complained about their English abilities? Or are you projecting?

Oh ffs, one sentence within a paragraph, taken out of context of the overall post.

Well no, the context was abject negativity, the word "exist" was the cherry on top.

Nowhere did I judge - especially not in that quote. You do realise stating something isn't judging? Nor did i specify any particular people. Other than saying it was the same ones. If you added 2+2 and came up with 5, that's on you. Not me.

Nor have I pretended to care about one group more than another, or have I actually pretended to care about any group., You saying something doesn't make it so, We could all make up 'shite a poster said' on here, but linking to an example would be proof. You won't find any.

So, once again, there is no 'pearl clutching' - Just further examples of you either not reading posts correctly, or making stuff up to deflect from the bigger point that was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

Your dead right suckit. They have no more valid points to make. The emergency situation is over, no need for the directive anymore and hopefully this crap starts getting called out by some of our lot in power soon enough.

The remnants of this war will drag on for some time to come. Now would be a good time for Zelenksy to broker some sort of ceasefire. Seems to me he only cares about winning and not about what's best for the citizens he claims to care for so much. Usa not helping the situation by throwing fuel on the fire.

Kyiv is performing reasonably well at the moment and from reading reports online, the locals are enjoying the new normality they have back. Seeing life in their streets again, people resuming their daily routines etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭pauly58

Our local Lidl had several Ukrainian's, women with men in their thirty's, with the trolley's absolutely filled to the top. The local's seemed to barely covered the bottom of theirs.

Now I'm not saying they are all ignorant, but a few of these were lacking manners, pushing past my wife to get to shelves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

No as that seems to be added after that td said you could.

So not worth a jot when the go back home. Irish history must be very handy in Ukraine.

Have you even bothered to read what I wrote? I rather suspect you've limited yourself to only reading Boggles post.

Otherwise you would know the range of negatives I've mentioned, and why they are negatives. Not insults or criticisms of the refugees themselves. Just as you would know that I have spoken to teachers about the problems they're experiencing.. and if it helps any, I have taught English professionally abroad, and am very familiar of what it takes to learn the language to the level that native English speaker are required to have within schools with a native English environment. The same problems/negatives would apply with any infusion of large numbers of non-English speaking children into Irish schools. We are talking about thousands of kids here.

The gas thing is that I'm more concerned with the experiences of the Ukrainian and Irish children. You're more concerned with scoring points and showing "virtue".

I'm not projecting. I'm being an adult, discussing adult topics. You really should try it sometime.

But, I see no value trying to engage with either you or Boggles, as you consistently fail to deal with the actual arguments made, preferring to shift goalposts or deflect entirely. I'll leave it to other to deal with your dishonesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Gamergurll

This is my position now obviously I'm not alone, and inflation is to blame but my shopping is down to the bare essentials. My finances are turning me super stressed and cranky, if the kids waste any food I go nuts (not a bad habit to be fair!). I have to keep saying each week that sweets etc were sold out. Of course the Ukrainians are paying the same prices but they don't have rent and other bills to deal with 🤷‍♀️

Sorry on that topic, did they get the back to school allowance? Schools are sending out emails begging for stationary/bags/etc for Ukrainian kids

They get everything the other kids get and more it seems. I assume they will not own the laptop and take it back to Ukraine when the leave 🤔

Most probably.. The primary school mine are in provide the books and bill us for them, not sure if that's a standard thing everywhere but wondering will they waive these fees. In fairness a lot of the books will not be much use as we are in Gaeltacht, the teachers will have a fun time ahead of them trying to figure all this out 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭seenitall

You mention a lot “when they leave” or “when they go back home”. I’m a lurker on this thread but I can’t figure out if you are, ahem, subtly looking for a reaction or you’re being serious..? The vast majority of these people will be going nowhere in a hurry, they have it much, much better here than there and they know it, it’s obvious from the behaviours described, and the Logic of the situation dictates it anyway. Really now, how many refugees, asylum seekers or anyone else through the years who has come to these shores from much poorer, non-western countries over the years - have gone back home? Not many. A vast majority will be staying, and what’s more, there will be another 30 000 of them here before Christmas. Unless the government does something drastic, such as cut the generous benefits etc. Which I don’t think they will, at least not this side of Christmas.

Ireland isn’t the only European country with so many of them to settle in, but it is the only one with remarkably generous welfare packages on offer. They’ll be going nowhere, and it’s not their fault either, for taking full advantage of the Irish government’s generosity. People usually do what’s best for themselves, not for some abstract foreign government’s budget.

• Advertisement

The early arrivals would have gotten th back to school allowance. The newer arrivals are having to apply and it’s taking longer. Haven’t heard of any schools begging.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement