Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best flat route south Dublin for intervals

Options
  • 25-08-2022 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, I recently moved to south Dublin (Rathfarnham). I am looking for a nice stretch of road with minimal lights so I can do some interval training outdoors while weather is still good. Anyone any suggestions? I picked a route last week and nearly ended up on the M50!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Corkagh park?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ARX

What length do you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭fat bloke

N81 isn't bad for a solo rider or you could do the small Blessington lake circuit.

If you want to stay in Rathfarnham, I got great Covid flat training out of a local circuit. Anticlockwise so junctions are roundabouts or yields. Some pedestrian lights that you can get caught at but it wasn't too bad. You'd have to time it right though cos obviously at peak traffic times it's poxy.

So if you know Buglers pub on Ballyboden road, say you start there. Go down to the junction and turn left onto Ballyroan Rd. Left onto Firhouse Rd, left again onto Knocklyon Rd. Jink left onto Templeroan Rd and then left at the roundabout onto Ballyboden way, down to the roundabout and left and you're back at Buglers.

Iirc it's a 5k lap. I did 100km on it at least once during the strict Covid boundary restriction. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Scd isn't that flat really and there's a lot of lights where it is, phoneix Park is about 8km from you, a full loop is 9.5km and you can mix it up pretty easily for variation, it's good tho it can get boring quite fast and the city centre is a pain. if you head toward firhouse then tallaght and go north west and beyond there you'll find endless flat open roads in west Dublin and kildare.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I struggle to do intervals on flat or even undulating roads.

I find the best for anything like sweet spot, threshold or even VO2 max intervals is a long drag of up to about 4 per cent where you can put out fairly even power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Dufmarie

thank you, I have saved this as a route, i'll go check it out.

thanks, yes I have been reverting back to reliable Phoenix Park but I'd like to find something closer to home so on the days I am short for time I can still get out. I think I did a route to Tallaght and then tried to head north and it was bringing me to the m50 so i turned back. i may drive that route first to check it out.

varies between 1 min and 8 mins straight of cycling at probably over 35km p/h

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Of no benefit but until about 10 years ago anyone could use the velodrome like cycle track in Sundrive Park. Was great of a nice evening to head down for an uninterrupted hour's time trial on a lovely smooth tarmac surface. That was until scumbags loaded a number of plastic barriers onto the track and set them alight damaging the surface for all. An expensive repair and repercussions resulted in 3 meter high barriers all round and no access for anyone unless an accredited member of a time trial club and even then only during club hours. Just can't have nice things in Ireland with wanton vandalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ARX

How about Brighton Rd/Torquay Rd in Foxrock? 2.5 km, flat, with one traffic light half-way along at the Westminster Rd junction, no parked cars and little traffic (which invariably consists of black SUVs - why people who can afford to live in Foxrock aren't driving Porsche 928s, Morgan Plus Sixes and Ariel Atoms is beyond me, but I digress). Hainault Rd is nice too (1km with a 1% gradient and a handy roundabout at the top for turning).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Maybe head toward tallaght then the jobstown to lucan stretch? The R136, It's relatively quiet, decent surface, huge bus lanes, roundabouts and even a cycle lane. Would sandyford to enniskerry be too hilly?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Rahtmichael to Balycorous road is just under 4km long and a slight drag the whole way so good for continuous power output

lots of suggestions, thanks everyone. will be trial and error.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tomc

The track in Corkagh park

Advertisement