Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting

Options
  • 25-08-2022 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what people do commuting to work, 15km/45minute spin each way. Do you wear rain gear at all or what’s the best way to deal with our weather year round? Bus is an option if needed

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,558 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first question would be what facilities you have at work; shower, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Good to have an option to change (and ideally shower) at work if needed - you certainly wouldn't want 45 mins in the lashing rain and then working all day in the same clothes and shoes. But it rains less often than you think. Just be careful as some waterproof gear is really boil in the bag and you would be wetter from the sweat than the rain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I tend to prefer warm clothes for the cold weather but nothing special for the rain. Change of clothes either in my bag or in work. It rains very little in the East of Ireland despite how it feels. I've commuted almost every work day this year by bike and only been caught out by the rain a handful of times. You can get deceent rain gear but they all have a line they fail at and the stuff that doesn't will cook you like microwave in a bag rice. I'm about 20km each way, maybe 50minutes each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Monday: Drive into work and leave 4 days work clothes in work

Tuesday: Cycle (bring laundry home in a backpack) / if its raining in the morning. i drive in.

Wednesday: Cycle (bring laundry home in a backpack) / if its raining in the morning. i drive in.

Thursday: Cycle (bring laundry home in a backpack) / if its raining in the morning. i drive in.

Friday: Cycle (bring laundry home in a backpack) / if its raining in the morning. i drive in.

On average this results in cycling in/out of work 3 days a week. (My commute is 25k each way)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ARX

Kinda goofy looking, but effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Thanks for the replies, not sure on facilities yet as it’s just an job option at the moment, would hope there are showers available as it’s a pretty big new building. Agree on the rain gear as the cheap stuff I’ve used is horrendous and you end up wetter inside it from sweat, Is there such thing as good rain gear that avoids this? Cycled it today and it was a lovely spin but that was with perfect weather conditions and not in rush hour, it’s probably 90% cycle lane though which is a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

There is more breathable stuff e.g. the best waterproof jackets are 200€ ish goretex types but you would still sweat a bit and they are quite fragile for everyday use. If you are planning to be wearing full cycling clothes I would go for Galibier which are this forum's favourite brand and a good balance of price quality

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Personally, I don't care too much about rain with the exception of my feet. Shoe covers will help keep your feet dry and an be picked up for €25+

I would be more uncomfortable being cold so whilst shorts and short sleeved jersey are fine now, come December you'll want a base layer, a jacket and possibly long legged gear (called tights!). For the depth of winter, even a skull cap would be a help.

As mentioned Galibier.cc will supply your needs at a good price.

So if it was raining would you just wear your shorts and top and hang them out to dry in work somewhere for the spin home?

Yup. The air con in work dries everything (including my shower towel)

I bring in my work clothes each day in a back pack. Work shoes are left in the office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

I only put on rain gear if its actually raining heavy. Drizzle etc then it's rain jacked and my normal leggings. I change in work so not attempting to cycle in work gear. 15km cycle each way but electric bike so no sweat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I'm pretty lucky with my work setup (when I go in these days). We have large shower rooms and a drying room which is great and means you don't have to hang gear in the office itself.

I echo what a few people above have said - it really doesn't rain as much as you might think and I never wear specific wet gear, a light pair of tights & jacket in spring and autumn, winter jacket and tights when it's really cold and light jersey and shorts in the summer. My winter jacket is fairly water resistant and I'll have a rain cape in my bag during the summer time. As I wear glasses I'll always have a Belgian cap in the winter and cotton cap in the summer to keep the odd bit of rain off my glasses!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Been commuting by bike so 2009, so have honed my technique a bit. I leave trousers and shoes in work. Rotate with clean trousers as required. I also keep a jacket in work in case i need to go out and about. Also a suit for formal meetings / events where one is required. I bring a shirt, jocks and socks daily. Bought micro fleece towels which dry quicker and are less busy than a cotton towel. I'm lucky to have showers and a disabled toilet which doubles as a changing / drying room. Echoing others - it rains less than you think, In Dublin anyhow, west coast different. I do being rain gear in but it's only a handful of days over a year that I'd use it.

Post edited by Pinch Flat on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I've got a wind and water proof long sleeved top for rain but otherwise just wear normal bib shorts, doesnt really matter if they get wet tbh.

dont bother with specific jackets / trousers etc, unless its the middle of winter when a rain jacket is in the saddle bag.

Always have a pair of glasses though, either shades or clear / yellow lenses. Nothing worse than cycling hom in the wind and rain without any eye protection and not being able to see anything.

Cheers folks, good to hear so many positive replies, if I do go for the job at least I can knock transport off the list of worries!

To be honest, it is a big thing to knock off the list partly because you'll be getting in some exercise but also saving money by not driving. For me, cycling to the office (currently WFH) on average took pretty much the same time along the same route as driving. You will also feel less stressed by not sitting in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Helps if the workplace has locker space, might be worth the ask. Also think about bike security.

On the clothing aspect you will probably be best with cycling gear and change in work. I've been getting away with showering at home and just changing when I get it but I don't sweat too much. Waterproof socks and an old set of trainers are what I use for footwear. Forget about a bus, a wet cycle is still a million times better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

With the rain, the most important things are

(i) can you change at work

(ii) have you a waterproof bag.

Really doesnt matter how soaked you get, as long as you can change into dry stuff when you get there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,558 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, i used to cycle to work, and had good changing facilities there. the only concession i'd usually make as regards the rain (because i'd always change into fresh clothes after showering) was to use a rain specific jacket, and overshoes.

On that, as I mentioned earlier, I tend to put my work clothes into my backpack but they go into a plastic bag first to make sure they're dry!

Another "trick" I've adopted is that while we're to look smart in work, I tend to wear a jumper every day as this hides the fact that my shirt got crumpled in the bag. Nobody knows except me (and now all of you)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I just fold the shirt and pack the bag that morning and the clothes don't crease in that time. On the bag front I moved from a backpack to panniers and haven't looked back. I was getting shoulder pain from the backpack.

Just to add: I use two front lights and two back - you never know when one will give out. I just use USB lights and they're fine. Mudguards make a huge difference to bike comfort too. Marathon Plus tyres don't puncture, well they haven't in 25k km.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,386 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

full length mudguards

Brilliant thanks yep I’m on a hybrid type bike so I’ve got the panniers, mudguards and dynamo lights all sorted. There is definitely secure bike storage although it’s Dublin City centre so I’d still be using a few locks! I’d definitely look into a decent quality rain jacket/top if needed but I think wearing shorts/tights sounds a far better option than plodding along in oil skins!

You'll find you won't get wet that often.

In terms of the locks, I leave them at work so I'm not always carrying them around.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Columbia exdry is what I'd get for flexobility. Get it on eBay direct from America. It's not cycling wear, but hiking, trail running and it's excellent.

As Cram said, it really doesn't rain than much on the east. We've also had 2 relatively mild winters now.

I've cycled in everyday I've been in since February 2020, including today after 2 punctures and a bike change

• Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

My solution to the shirt problem is your solution to the lock problem. I leave the shirts in work. They never come home.

I send them out for laundry when have a pile in the laundry bag, and they arrive back two days later ironed, on hangers. You need a bit of space for hanging obvs. There's a few services; laundr.ie, laundryheap.ie, laundry24.ie, all about €2.50 a shirt.

It's probably my one luxury in life, and saves an hour or so of laundry each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I also use an "IAMRUNBOX" as linked above. Shirt, trousers, jock and socks and towel (decathlon have handy quick dry ones that pack very small). I have shoes, a suit jacket and non-cycling jacket left in the office in a suitbag (washbag also in there).

Again, with blended working I don't really be in often enough to leave the lock, as I mix it up with dart commutes as well.

I'd add somewhere to dry the gear as well, if it's wet in the morning. Given I'm blended, and not open plan, I've kinda got away with drying in the office the odd wet morning.

But wet days are the best days to be on the bike imo - much better than being part of traffic in a car, stuck on packed sweaty humid bus or dart!

One thing I would say is don't under estimate double days - I do "train", but still sometimes find the home leg of my 16km commute more of drag after a days work than I would the second half of an equivalent 32km spin in one go. But I'm predominantly uphill into the prevailing wind home.

Advertisement