Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Thats two of the biggest green supporters on here both agreeing that weather does not equal climate - thanks for clarification lads. So, the next record breaking heat, cold, wet, dry, gust, etc... that you say is a result of climate change will be responded in kind with what you've said above.

That all right now?

Before said "explosion" in one-off houses, the fewer houses that were along those roads... how many residents were in each house?

Were these pre-bungalow bliss houses your typical three bed homes with 6 female children in one bedroom, 5 male children in another bedroom and the final bedroom left to the mother and father to sleep in? The "bathroom" probably consisting of a partition in the cow shed where one went to spend a penny or spend a pound.

Shame on those rural peasants for wanting to build more modern homes that they could actually live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Am the companies who applied for and won contracts for the energy generation shortfalls broke there contracts and never built what they said the would.

In 2021 everyone of the crew here was screaming blackouts, blackouts 🙀its all Eamon Ryans fault. Failing to comprehend that a number of major plants were down for maintenance, cause they were so old and not because of anything the Green Party did. Well all that scaremongering came to 0 when the blackouts never happened.

This year the crew are screaming blackouts, blackouts blaming the Green Party for everything from the war in Ukraine to the failure of a private company to realise a mystical gas field. Once again the crew don’t understand that all the power plants that were out of action last year are in fact back working, man o man 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 15,068 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I don`t see why more people in the area resulted in those business`s ceasing other than it being due to larger urban centers. It would appear as if urbanisation had more to do with the impact on your village than an increase in houses and the subsequent population rise in the area.

You see that is the problem with this idea of some wishing to "tidy up the countryside" to accord to their wishes and their ideas on what is sustainable. It becomes a domino effect where everyone ends up living in large urban sprawls. Not great for society in general imo, but if some believe the countryside should be turned into one large public park for them to visit occasionally if the the mood takes them, I can see why it would have an attraction for them. Even though they would have to watch out for the wolves, lynx and whatever else was let run loose.

• Advertisement

Has it been noted has it, well when you come with an answer to it let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,287 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

once again, most of our energy problems were noted long before this government, i.e. this is an accumulation of neglect of our energy system for years, but yes, our current government is indeed adding to it, including the greens, i.e. this isnt an exclusive problem of the current government, including the greens

So, the next record breaking heat, cold, wet, dry, gust, etc... that you say is a result of climate change will be responded in kind with what you've said above.

I'd point out that climate change is not the same thing as climate is not the same thing as weather but I don't want to be accused of being "childish and immature".

I'm beginning to see that the reasoning behind so many folks resistance is a lack of basic understanding of the terms, theories and science behind it all. A bit of education seems to address a lot of this but unfortunately some are resistant to this also and would rather maintain a stance based in ignorance

Either you type stuff and don’t re read it or there core concepts you don’t understand

Here is a podcast which may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

You greens love to take the high ground. Ye don't like any opinion against your own and when some does they are either stupid, ignorant or both. I bet you won a load of debates in school with that attitude. Be carefull of the widlndy weather up there one of them windmills might hit ye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Kincora2017

What we’re ending up with now is similar to urban sprawl of some kind. We’ve houses strung out along roads leading into towns and villages, with petrol stations and retail parks(for larger towns) as the dominant commercial areas. The centre of the town is then dead with few shops and even less people living in them. Perfectly good buildings and housing stock is abandoned and falling into ruin. I see these urban/village centres being slowly abandoned. We all do. And the worse it gets thr less people will want to go back into the town.

in my opinion, this is absolutely terrible and is something that has seriously accelerated in my lifetime. At the same time I see houses popping up all along our country roads between our villages. If you want that to continue then fine, keep on with the current policies that have brought us to where we are.

The population of the island is going to grow by 1m in the next 30 years. That has to happen in line with sustainable development focused on vibrant towns or villages, as well as the cities ( but I personally am not too concerned with that). I have no idea if Green policies can help with that but I’d be fairly sure that the current policies and attitude to development cannot.

Not much I can do in terms of responding to your points if they are based on a lack of understanding of the basics. 🤷‍♀️

Imagine trying to have a debate with someone on the success of Man Utd over the last few managers they've had where one knows the names of the managers, the lengths they served, the titles won etc and the other person knows that the sport involves a ball and grass and they saw highlights of the last 2 games.

Hardly a basis for a debate of any kind.

I'd point out that climate change is not the same thing as climate is not the same thing as weather but I don't want to be accused of being "childish and immature".

In a rush to hurl the insults into your response you turned your feeble attempt of a response into a nonsensical soup of repeated words.

And you have the neck to say in your follow up line... "A bit of education seems to address a lot of this but unfortunately some are resistant to this also and would rather maintain a stance based in ignorance"

You could do with a little education yourself when it comes to constructing a response.

Stupid analogy, everyone knows man utd previous manager was Eamon Ryan and that he failed miserably. The superiority complex amongst ye greens must come from eating all them vegetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭ginger22

It must be a serious burden to have so much knowledge and have to lower yourself to debate with the common people on here. Take care you dont hit your head on the way down from your lofty perch.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,872 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

the whole thing is like a baby trying to sprint before it can crawl. good chance it'll fall over and damage itself.

lets crawl first, then walk, then eventually we can sprint

If you are using a football analogy so far based on performance the Irish Greens would not get a job managing a junior c team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Windmills are neither price competitive or reliable. No one seems to worry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Eirgrid released a report on the gap in generation in 2017.

Engineers Ireland have highlighted the gas storage issue four years ago.

Did successive governments just ignore these warnings?

What is ER doing about it now so that we are not in the same situation next winter?

• Advertisement

Problem is that the theory has a major hole in it. Your own village shows that. More houses and more people in the area yet business`s in the local village are gone.

Moving people out of rural settings would be good for landlords who own vacant premises in larger villages where people would have no option but to pay rent due to not being able to afford to buy a site on the outskirts and we all know how the rental market works these days. When those rental are full, more houses will be built by private developers on the outskirts. More urban sprawl and the societal problems that go with that,to be either priced even higher than before or again rented out.

What happens then when some faceless bureaucrat, similar to what is happening with planning permission, then decides that village isn`t really sustainable either. Move everyone to a larger urban setting..... and so on so on ?

Do not be fooled by green "policy". It`s an ideology that, like their energy policy, is not thought through because they are not that interested in how it works out other than you will end up owning nothing and told to be happy with your lot. They are an urban party, and if the attitude of their supporters here is anything to go by, they have a deep hatred of anything rural. Why I have no idea. Traumatised at a young age on a visit to the countryside by a goose saying boo to them possibly.

So we are ok banana is it?

No blackout coming banana- is that what you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Not everyone wants to live in "vibrant towns or villages".

Did successive governments just ignore these warnings?

Given the fact that neither Denis Naughten (Minister from 2016-2018) or Richard Bruton (Minister from 2018-2020) did anything, the answer to that is yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭ps200306

What is this, good green cop, bad green cop? Here's bad cop slapping us down for confusing weather with climate:

And here's good cop giving us a weather report (because you're allowed to confuse weather with climate when you're fighting the good fight):

Either of you like to post a link to what the IPCC actually says about past climate trends in Europe, like I asked previously?

So because previous energy ministers done nothing ER hasn’t and shouldn’t.

That’s his defence?

Best of luck with that.

Ok so what is ER doing to prepare for next winter?

Is he backing the LNG terminal? CNG storage?

Whats he doing?

Post edited by tom1ie on

So because previous energy ministers done nothing ER hasn’t and shouldn’t.

strawman argument

Ok so what is ER doing to prepare for next winter?

Is he backing the LNG terminal? CNG storage?

If he did would it make any difference to your first question?

So no answer to either question.

True to form I suppose.

In my job if I spent two years adding to the problem by ignoring memos and warnings, blocking or attempting to block anything that could have helped, when it became obvious that the company was heading towards the wall, how do you believe the reaction to my excuse for that being "Well the lad before me was doing the same" would have been received. ?

I would have been shown the door before I finished the sentence.

• Advertisement

Good luck trying to get a straight answer there , your level of intelligence will be questioned next or bombarded with articles to confuse the matter

Advertisement