Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭py

I've run 2 events in the past 6 weeks. Both had a significant increase in numbers from their 2019 iteration. I'll happily dig in to other event numbers but I don't think there's a drop off in numbers for paid events just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 turfman1

Anyone have a course profile of the upcoming 10km in Swords? Not familiar with the area just wondering is it hilly etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

Not sure oif changed but did it in 2015 and it had an elevation gain of 137 feet, so pretty flat

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

It's as flat as you'd want for a 10k. Slight drag in opening km and near the end, but nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 willieelaine

Hi I have a spot for the marathon this year and unfortunately I can't do it so if you are interested give me a shout cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

650 finishers in the Irish Runner 10 mile today in the park, the three euro shakedown seems not to have gone unnoticed.

Half of the number of finishers in 2018/2019. Large events would want to get their act together and stop gouging or else we are heading for 2012 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Felt like they added 200 meters to the course. Thought I'd ran a good line too. Maybe they threw it in for extra value?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Edenderry (Co Offaly) 10 miler was on yesterday also - 245 ran. Roscommon 10 mile on the weekend before - 413 ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

Does anybody know if the Fingal 10k has pacers?

Roscommon crowd were never coming to Dublin, a bus load of them maybe. Edenderry, possibly 100 or so of them from midlands.

Is the cost of fuel having that much of an impact seeing as race entry fees are generally the same?

I know hotels alone are making a trip from the west of the country to Dublin for an early start a no go now, all the DCM race series mean a silly o'clock start leaving the house for a 9AM race. Swords should be hit hard again next week.

Edit:

I do see Clontarf had a huge entry for 1/2 marathon and 5 mile a week earlier, so the Dublin market is alive and well after all.

• Advertisement

There's a number of things impacting the races at the minute IMO:

COVID is back. Not as severe of course, but I know loads of people who have had it recently (myself included) and either miss races cos of it or dont feel up to it

I do think less people are running. Some people stopped for the last 2 years and cant find their way back to it.

Costs. Cost of living is going up so people have less cash and as above, the price of fuel/hotels. Im already starting to figure out how I will get to Dublin for the marathon and I only live in Louth. The furthest I will travel now for a 10k or so would be 20 miles.

People are on holidays and out living. Personally, I think a Sunday is an absolute pain for a race. Thats just me but having been locked away for long enough, I am not spending Sundays racing and recovering and staying in on Saturday nights to prepare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Quote: Im already starting to figure out how I will get to Dublin for the marathon and I only live in Louth.

I would suggest the train as the best option but Irish Rail will as usual plan some "essential" engineering works for that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

My never ending patellar tendonitis could be putting paid to my marathon this year, driving me insane, just cant get it to go away , training time is suffering and i need to see some improvement soon if I am going to push myself through the training, not looking good .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

The 3rd paragraph is the key in my opinion. Yes costs are up, yes people are away, but people were away at the same time in 2019 when the same events were on and they had much bigger turnouts. Granted the starting time is probably relevant but some differences are around 40% lower. Thats more than just a start time.

It doesn't really make sense to say that people are budget conscious but also out living it up instead of entering an event costing €25 or whatever. Parkrun participation is also well down on pre-lockdown for the same time of year and has been persistently lower for months. These are local events at no cost.

Even just with my own observations I see a lot less people out on the roads that 2019.

COVID is a bit of a catch-all for everything these days but people are more aware of the reality of this for most healthy people at this point. Its a cop-out. The simplest explanation is that lockdowns have knocked the habit out of people and they aren't taking it back up (yet).

History tells us we need a good hard recession to get the people back out on the roads...

Edit: Also I'd wager that the unforeseen increases in flights and hotel prices will put a serious dent in the attendance from overseas this October, some hotels can still be got for a reasonable price in suburban Dublin areas but overall a weekend away is turing into the price of a week away.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Speaking of hotels, WTF happened to the prices? Couple of quick searches are coming up with not a whole lot cheaper than 500 GBP for one night for the family.

Sure I was never paying that kind of amount previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭py

I believe there was a public representative for hoteliers stating that hotel occupancies in Ireland were exceptionally high resulting in remaining rooms going for sky high prices.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/amp/ireland/shortage-of-dublin-hotel-rooms-resulting-in-high-rates-says-irish-hotels-federation-1320419.html

This is not just in Ireland, unfortunately. Hotel prices, restaurant prices, food prices rising rapidly everywhere over the past few months. Just back from Germany where inflation doesn't seem to have hit as much as here but still more expensive than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

The answer is revealed but not explicit. These hotels have high occupancy but tourism rates have gone down.

These rooms have been hoovered up by government agencies to house people of their choice. That's why prices are so high. The hotel model is not an organic supply and demand one akin to what it was 15 years ago. These hoteliers are somewhat scarred and are prepared to agree to all sorts of deals for long term stays with various government agencies.

People are free to agree with these policies but therein is the outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Gooner76

Does anyone know when they'll be revealing the medal for this year. In 2019 they released an image in May (I think)

Just curious

Dont believe the hype completely. Giving the hotels up to Ukranians certainly affects availability but it doesnt have to affect prices. Irish companies love to hide behind 'supply and demand' as if they have to increase their prices.

Their costs havent gone up more than any other industry. Its good old Irish gouging, its as simple as that. They claimed the poor mouth in COVID and this is how they repay people. Its a disgrace the price of hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Their prices are crazy but then again we have 200 homeless families living in hotels and then alot from Ukraine also. So that is 3-4 hotels out of the market.

We have a work bbq in the city on the Thursday of the August bank hol and can get a room in hotel for 155 including breakfast.

Hotel costs have gone up loads also, chefs are hard to get now, bar staff near impossible and just general staff are very hard to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

i gather the staffing level is key. I've heard that many hotels are so short in staff that they are often not opening all their rooms. This is a main driver of the shortage of rooms and the high prices.

The industry will just go down the gig economy race-to-the-bottom route and soon we will all be cleaning our own hotel rooms, making our own hotel beds (with fresh linen dropped outside each room by deliveroo style 'laundry warriors'). And of course we will be delighted with ourselves for the micro-entrepreneurial opportunities we have 'created'. Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭digiman

Is it possible to transfer your ticket, I missed the deadline to get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Officially - No

Unofficially - Loads do it every year, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

What’s the reason they don’t allow an official transfer ? Do you know ?

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

They just never put a system to do that in place, probably because they don't have to to sell the tickets - the race sells out anyway. Some would say this is a bit unfair, and maybe it is, but it's the same for the vast majority of races.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭brick tamland

No idea. But imagine itd be a serious pain in the hoop and a load of admin work, so maybe thats why

Advertisement