Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airbus A380 experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I'm happy to accept any glass of champagne I'm offered :)

Two thirds of my A380 flights were in economy.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Economy seats on the A380 are one inch wider than a 10ab 777. On a ULH flight, you will notice. The 777 is also far, far louder in the cabin, which does make it more tiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How does the seat with/legroom compare to Qatar?

Post edited by Gael23 on

Same vs the QR 777s and 787s, ie an inch wider. Also the QR 787s have the IFE box under the seat in front, which results in most adult men having to sit at an angle to get their feet under. This becomes very uncomfortable. My buddy booked it once on a return flight, avoids it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

And the prize for pretentious post of the month goes to.....

• Advertisement

The A380 economy seat is an inch wider than all the other aircraft you are looking at.

Post edited by HTCOne on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have flown to Oz on an A380. Easily the best plane experience in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The VC-10 was better: quieter, faster more seat room, but it's really hard to find a seat on one these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

And sometimes an inch makes a huge difference😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

You didn't check out those seats obviously! Yes they are window seats, but because of emergency slide attached to door in emergency exit row in front there is NO seat in front of you, which actually means you can stand up and scooch forward to get out of your seat without asking anyone else to move.

Here's a pic I found online:

It’s €100 of a supplement on each leg to sit there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Wowza. When I flew (pre covid) it was a standard seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 chasing_ghosts

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭davepatr07

Flew Emirates, Qatar and Lufthansa A380's. Emirates A380's are probably the most comfortable economy class seats I have flown in long haul. A380 is surprisingly a very quiet aircraft. Lufthansa was at the back of the upper deck where there's a small economy class section. This was actually pretty cosy with the small cabin and the seats were pretty good too though IFE has nothing on EK's IFE offer.. Qatar A380 was alright though I do prefer Doha for transiting over DXB, but would still put up transiting through DXB flying EK double deckers.

Don't even bother. Starve it of the attention its craving.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Shiok

Not my intention at all – would have thought it was a fairly standard observation among weary travellers who have lost the appreciation for any ‘luxury’ element of getting on a plane.. one person joked back which had made me think the comment landed in the spirit it was intended!

Collecting Avios & building Oneworld status would probably be more beneficial to the OP longer term than selecting a route based on one leg of the journey being on a particular aircraft (and starting skywards miles).

I appreciate he/she would miss out on a marginally more comfortable seat experience. However, unless a nervous flyer / travelling with young children / elderly etc, I would not prioritise the flying experience of an A380 over route, connection, product, price, memberships. Let’s not kid ourselves that he/she will arrive in Australia feeling anything other than a bit wrecked and delighted to be no longer on it, rather than paying particular attention to the smoothness of its landing.

There is still plenty of time to experience an A380 if it’s something to tick off a list. Based on Emirates previously announced projections of service life, they could run their last A380 delivered in Dec 2021 as far out as 2033. BA has recently brought all of theirs back into operation. Lufthansa is taking theirs out of storage for next Summer.

I consistently fly Singapore Airlines (due to my location) and have never flown with Qatar, however, my experience of the Emirates product and service has been hit & miss in comparison to Singapore Airlines being exceptional each & every time – across all classes. For Qatar to have now overtaken SA on Skytrax and others ‘Airline of the Year’ several times is something of note for me. 

You have to make 2 stops with Singapore Airlines, that’s putting me off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

We are hoping to bring the kids in 2 years out to Vietnam/Laos/Thailand etc and I'd love to get on the A380 at least once before they're grounded.

Is there a way of using skyscanner to find out what carriers/routes fly A380s? We'd be happy landing in Bangkok, KL, Vietnam (any) or Singapore if it meant getting to fly on one.

Doesn’t seem to. The airlines own website should though

• Advertisement

I once flew from Johannesburg in one, perfectly pleasant trip. One thing to note though is that if you are upstairs where the aircraft rocks side to side I believe you have a little more sideways swivel, you could be annoying or soothing if it’s gentle. Just a quirk of its aerodynamics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

As most others have said economy in an Emirates A380 is a much more comfortable flying experience for long haul than any other plane. If its only 50 euro more I'd definitely pay it. I have gone to Australia 3 times, teice on a A380 and id pick it every time if i could

You won't be able to reliably know the aircraft type until approx 6 months before departure.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Very much learning towards Emirates. Would like to experience DXB international too

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CuriosityKilledtheCat

Emirates is my goto for long haul to Australia but last time, I was really disillusioned with the gate area in Dxb. It was more like a holding pen - not nearly enough seating/loos and just a miserable experience in general. Happily enough, my stopover was only 90 mins so by te time I got to the gate, I didn't have a lot of time for hanging around. I said never again but here I am after booking a return trip with Emirates yet again. This time I am lucky enough to be flying business class so expect (hope!!) to arrive a little fresher than usual.

Business is 3x the price, I can’t justify it to myself

It's great when someone else is paying for it but unless the money is no concern for you I don't think it's worth it myself.

You might get an email offering you an upgrade for a reduced fee a few days out from flying. No lounge access but you get the priority check in and the J class seat on the flight. Worth considering for the A380 access as it has the bar and being the longer flight a decent night's kip might tempt you.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

Flew on the Qatar A380 from BKK to DOH last weekend. It really feels so much spacious then other planes, especially the 787 which I flew on the DOH - DUB leg. I've also flown on the Emirates A380 previouslt, there's nothing between them really, in economy anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Done 3 flight on Qatars A380 on my travels to Australia. My first time from Melbourne to Doha I managed to bag seat 68D which has no seat in front of it due to emergency hatch on floor. Coming back the flight was only half full so had three seats to myself, and even managed to get 6-7 hours sleep and I've never slept on a flight before....

Didn't have the same pleasures when traveling back from Sydney but I put that down to the oaf of a thing sitting beside me for the 15hrs 🤯.

Qatar's 787s are fine as well except for the in-flight entertainment box in the foot rests which I found quite annoying.

Also done Dublin - Melbourne via Hong Kong with Cathay and that was fine as well. Their A350s are certainly nicer than QR 787s and at the time their 777s were 9 abreast too.

Advertisement