Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister 'misinterpreted the requirements' after failure to declare second house in Longford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I'd imagine Troy is crying into the buckets of cash in his mansion as we speak wondering where did it all go wrong?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

And it's up to the social welfare and relative agents to ensure that they are doing something about it at the end of the day.

I don't like social welfare cheats either, but Leo can't go on record saying that's bad and then go on to defend Troy, Zappone and every other arsehole in the dail or on a local council who thinks it's okay to seriously abuse their position ls of influence like this

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Well said & I understood fully what you were saying 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Blut2

Has anyone in FG even come out to condemn Troy once yet? Its high suspicious that they're saying nothing about this, a TD from a rival party doing something that the public is so disgusted with. Its very easy political capital to be made. "same old, corrupt, dodgy property dealings, FF" etc

Its only PBP and the SocDems who seem to be being vocal on the matter.

• Advertisement

I don't believe one TD or Senator from FFGG have condemned a single thing re #TroyStory or Robert Troy's behaviour, some will say , a sure he misinterpreted things but there's one particular thing that is indefensible, almost 11 years of errors and lack of understanding of very simple rules 😳

But it's fine , Leo & MM getting the flack now from all directions & I for one perfectly happy with that 😏

Actually ,whilst I'd like this to have dragged on a little, I've no doubt FFG planned for Troy to stay quite and if nothing else was revealed, by the simply fantastic, The Ditch ,they'd have let the opposition start to scream, let another MONC vote occur, gather their Independent buddies, win the vote and yet another nothing to see here, Hollow victory, completely ignoring the shenanigans exposed (Again)

This result means Troy & FFGG are tarnished with the same , Ugly, sordid brush 😏 The Main opposition played a Blinder ,its more than "Delicious " 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

There probably more FGers angry at their dear leader being made to look like an idiot. FG is in government with FF so it has to be careful about what it says about FFers because the FFers could turn around and do the same to them. And then the government would collapse and they'd all be facing a general election. On current polling numbers, they don't want that beause many of them will lose their seats. For the moment, they'll have to grin and bear it.

The SocDems and PBP are micro-parties. They can afford to use this to gain votes. SF did the right thing and did not really comment on the matter. That kept the focuse on Troy and FFG. The interesting thing was Eamon Ryan's intervention. When that happened Troy was finished. If you are looking at a micro-party that punches well above its weight, look at the Greens rather than PBP or the SocDems.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,439 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Think the point is I asked the poster a question..

A simple yes or no would be good.

I can answer no to your question,a chara.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Amazing how bad Varadkar has been considering it’s not his party. Technically.

As soon as thing started breaking, it looked bad. All he had to do was say “let’s wait and see”, or “ask MM” or both.

Instead like a two footed lunge, in with “top class”.

You wouldn’t have a character that thick in a piece of political fiction.

The Thick Of It is full of them. :) One of the reasons that the media seems to like Varadkar is because he makes statements like that.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A load of posts deleted

The thread is about Troy, not other politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Blut2

I don't buy that as an explanation. There were plenty in FG with their knives out for Dara Calleary, despite all of your points applying to him just as much.

I would suspect that its a lot more likely that a lot of FG TDs are wary of having their own property investments investigated to the same extent as Troy and thats why they're staying unusually quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

As the wagons surround Troy and by extension FFG. I keep thinking of paint your wagon and in this case they are all painted FFG Green.

FF and FG have to play nice with each other. The Troy Story was a major test of whether they could. Calleary wasn't as much as a liability as Troy. He went quickly as did Cowen. Troy hung on and tried to brazen it out. Varadkar was praising him as was Martin. That's damaged their credibility and even the Indo, a particularly pro-FG newspaper, was criticising the pair of how they dealt with Troy. FG had been acting like the senior party for some time and even the Zapponegate thing didn't stop it. If there's one thing that politicians hate above all else, it is being made to look like idiots. Martin's and Varadkar's praise of Troy did that. The FG TDs with property portfolios wouldn't want the attention either but when the electorate start thinking of political leaders as weak they can shift their votes. That's one of the biggest problems for FFG and it is directly down to Troy trying to hang on rather than having, in The Thick Of It terms, a "good resignation".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8t6KRstWIk

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

He was not a person in this case A minister. Completely different. You or me wanting to know about some randomer would be wrong yes.

In the meantime, Prime should make for interesting viewing tonight 🍿

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

This can't be the end. There needs to be punishment. He can't just step down from being a minister and everyone thinks he's had it tough. He's still taking in all the cash by his immoral dealings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

its not completely different

Some people really need to cop on to themselves.

Dont give a shite which party a TD is in they don’t deserve this witch hunt from a load of online fake accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

That feller still did not resign?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

They do if they are breaking rules and making a mint and legislating to make themselves mote money while pretending to represent the very people they are robbing. Also, FF lost the benefit of the doubt decades ago, Troy, revelation after revelation. He needs to be investigated fully.

• Advertisement

Ate we back onto fake accounts on Twitter 🙄

I couldn't be bothered reposting links from verified users, Journalists, Commentators, News organisations , if after all that has been highlighted, Fact Checked and now Troy's resignation is all makey uppy and spurned from fake accounts, it's a crazy world we live in , Indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

You see this is the problem

No they/he doesn’t

He will be investigated by the proper authority and not by a group of fake accounts online

Its a disgrace what people are doing online on these little witch hunts. Last time it was sending around a spreadsheet to confirm which TD they had attacked onlinE

What is wrong with people? Seriously

Havent you not seen enough stories of people dying over online abuse?

I will leave it at that or you say something to get banned

• Registered Users Posts: 68,762 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

100%.

FF and FG's instincts were to kick this under the carpet. It is a great day for this country that they were not able to.

What exactly is disgraceful BA 🤔 This witch Hunt as you describe was led by the Ditch and followed by literally thousands of people on Twitter, actually some incredible details shared by people with different expertise. The story then grew legs by Troy's own Drip Drip of information, most of it making his story worse .The MSM belatedly got interested and then Troy hurls insults at Journalists, seriously BA 😳

No one Denies there's crack pots on Twitter and elsewhere on SM but I can assure you this was not Led by crackpots and fake accounts and I might add , I saw very , very little support or defence of Troy on Twitter especially from verified FFG politician's.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jyat

The Twitter machine is far from real life.

It's not a witch hunt, when you have done wrong, justice has to be done. As for fake online accounts are you having a laugh? Can you point to any online fake accounts involved in a witch hunt?

The Ditch has done this country a great service and it's founder Chay Bowes is a member of the NUJ so if you say his account or the Ditch's is fake you are slurring all NUJ journalists.

Looks like Prime Time is not covering this.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭batman75

I don't see it as a witch hunt. Troy's difficulties are of Troy's making. You can be sure he didn't misinterpret his allowances and expenses yet he can't properly understand requirements of disclosure. It's just not plausible. We, the public, who pay this guy's wages are sick to the back teeth of having the pee taken out of us. This guy had at least three streams of income where most of us have one. He even attempted to influence Government policy to further feather his nest. His actions are sickening and his greed seems to know no bounds.

I have some sympathy for those connected to him ie parents, siblings and maybe even his wife who may not have been aware of his shenanigans.

Post edited by batman75 on

Well said and it's been said dozens of times, it's the go to deflection ploy . I can count on one hand , maybe one extra finger how many on this Thread thinks or pretends this was a witch hunt 😏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

You are quite correct.

What has his number of siblings to do with it all?

I wondered that when he himself without any prompting brought it up in a media interview.

Advertisement