Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cloud/Remote Gate opener

• 24-08-2022 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

HI folks, I have upgraded the sliding gate motor here in the house and have installed a Topens type motor, seems that it will not work with sonoff bridge as the the radio signal is encoded with an algorithm, so my thinking is to sacrifice a remote control where I would run two wires from the button and use a WiFi relay connected to cloud to mimic the button press which would then open and close the gate.

I just need somebody to point me in the direction of what relay to get.

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

I've don't this with a modified sonoff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

Have actually decided to use https://www.amazon.com/MHCOZY-Adjustable-Selflock-Momentary-SmartThings/dp/B08X218VMR

I will just stick a pic below as somebody may be thinking of doing the same

Figure I can power it from Pins 11 & 13 and then relay to Pins 13 & 14 for the inching

• Advertisement

I wonder does it support inching as in momentary pulse ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9 cianw

Hey, I've just installed a topens rk500t motor on my sliding gate and was googling around on how to do similar and this post popped up.

Did you ever get it working?

Works good.

Used eWeLink and treated it as a light switch.

When switched on using the app, the unit switches itself off again after 1 second (effectively making it a momentary switch).

Handy for opening the gate from the phone (and the watch if I'm coming in on the bike).

Yes, am using a shelly switch for the job https://www.shelly.com/en/products/shop/shelly-plus-1 connected to pins 13/14 on the diagram of post #5 above.

Most likely very similar to what @munsterleinster has done.

I can control it either through the shelly App or in Home assistant where I have a camera pointing at the gate so I can see if its opened or closed

@Big Lar Amazing! Nice one! Gonna have to get one of these Shellys. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hey lads, I've wired up the shelly plus 1 over the weekend but cannot for the life of me get it to show up on wifi or Bluetooth so I can connect it. Power is on to the motor. I've pressed the reset button for the 5 seconds and 10 seconds to reset things on the shelly but no joy.

Did you have this problem?

@cianw

I cant rightly see in the photograph but the shelly needs either 12V DC or 230V AC to power up, pins 13 and 14 are just for the switching side. Pin 11 on post 5 above needs to be pulled to ground the trigger the gate.

See below

And dont forget to set the switch mode as you just need to trigger the gate - Inching it is called

@Big Lar thank you! I had them in live and neutral rather than the 12v slot. Connected straight away.

My motor is now not working though. Even for the infrared remote and the shelly plugged out. Gotta figure out what's after happening.

Post edited by cianw on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

I had 24V AC at my gate so I bought a Shelley UNI. I will be getting more of them!

It's a CAME BXV system and needs no power on the relay, just a short.

The UNI has two onboard relay switches, one analog and two digital inputs.

I used the analog input to detect the gate state.

It's at about .4V when the gate is closed and about 32V when it's open.

I tried to connect the signal ground to see if it would give me a choice of 0V closed, +V open, but it blew a fuse in the controller so I did some maths instead. I put Tasmota rather than ESP32 on it, but that may change in future.

When I first set it up I powered it straight from the 24V AC and it ran perfectly. I noticed however that the RF receiver on the gate itself which included the keypad lost almost all of its range, so I disconnected it. I added a 24V AC to 24V DC converter in line and I've had no problems since. I suspect there are other ways of stabilising that behaviour, but it's what I had.

Somebody else has added the gate sensors to a similar setup using the other inputs.

It's an amazing amount of capability for a single tiny board. You'd fit it anywhere and it's lacquered to weather proof it. I must pop open the box to take some more photos now that it looks like being permanent - it's only there a few weeks. When I get around to documenting it I'll link back here.

The best bit is I now have the gate cover as a Favourite control using the Home Assistant app for Android Auto.

Here's the YAML I used to integrate it into Home Assistant.

cover:

- platform: template

covers:

gate_as_cover:

device_class: gate

friendly_name: "Front Gate"

position_template: "{{ (states('sensor.unigate_analog_a0')| float / 10 ) | round (0) }}"

open_cover:

service: script.open_gate

close_cover:

service: script.close_gate

stop_cover:

service: script.stop_gate

Advertisement