Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Acres scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Is this just speculation or is there somewhere one can get a look at these marking schemes??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Im looking into wild bird cover...but it cant be near dwelling house or i cant plant trees in the same field....

Or i cant plant trees 60 metres within a house...blah blah....

I cant plant trees within archaeological monument "buffer zones"....what the fùck is that??

I have an ideal bit of ground for planting trees around slatted shed for ammonia capture....but not allowed....as its in the same parcel as a ringfort i have....

What genius comes up with this shìt???

Such a ballache...im happy to do the measures but then they say you cant do that there or there...

T'would Sicken you....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Twisted oul logic they so often come up with, appears to be a backwards step of a scheme from a buy in from farmer's view.

Maybe its the man on the bicycle , over influence on this one, he seems well meaning, though a dreamer, god bless him.

It has nothing to do with the man in the bicycle........its a load of civil servants in DAFM with too much time on their hands dreaming up ways of creating unnecessary hurdles for farmers to jump in order to get a few measly aul shillings and tick a few boxes....

Environmentalists have been making noise for years in Brussels as regards REPS, AEOS, GLAS "measures" schemes. What we're seeing now is the result of it, Dept having to cede some territory to the demands for results based payments instead of measures based payments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Personally I believe that they are making it extra difficult so that most will fail/not bother joining thereby ensuring that a good number of farmers will probably quit livestock farming in the next few years - death by a thousand cuts springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

It won’t cover the price hike in electricity prices just announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Silverdream

That's a big part of the problem. 3 to 5k paid to tied up the farm in knots just doesn't cut it. Every input has double in price but those payment levels not only don't keep track with inflation but are a severe cut when you factor in the advisor fee's. I was getting that money in Reps 15 years ago.

A good bunch cattle would more than cover what's this scheme is offering

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭endainoz

Can you not make the ringfort into its own parcel for the scheme no?

Im not sure....i need more info on "buffer zone" aswell...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭minerleague

Think there are two extensive grazing, one is without inspection/marking at 200/ha, other one is with marking and goes from 200 to 400 /ha so if you get zero you wont be any worse off at 200, but if you get 10 you get 400. Just my reading of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

To get that 400e is ridiculous requirements. I was at the info day & you need to be a gardener to grow the flowers needed for top marks. I was showing my father the list of flowers your marked on & he laughed as he said I'd need to drop to minimal stock numbers & block the old drainage that my grandfather put in!

Father was never being in GLAS and this scheme isn't exactly spiking any interest either. I'd rather put my time into running a couple more sucklers as punishment

Im half thinking of not doing this scheme....the planner fees, cost of trees and time planting and cost of fencing, cost of WBC, the hassle of the paperwork...is it actually worth it??? like the above poster said....i think ill stick 2 fingers up to this and stock more cattle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Any ideas what the planners will charge?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭893bet

is A planner compulsory? Or dependant on doing different actions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭minerleague

private planners will probably be at higher end of that, and thats just to draw up a plan ( tough if you dont get in ! ) be more for marking/inspection during 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Reading the journal this week wouldn't inspire too many to join. They certainly couldn't be accused of overselling it.

They said you can get the same payment as glas with more cost and effort than glas.

They also said you need to do the sums and work out if the payment is worth it after costs.

Do you need to plant 100 trees to have a good chance of getting in instead of the WBC. 100 trees is a lot, I assume this isn't intended as 100 trees to make a hedgerow.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

If you have a suitable site and are interested in trees, you could look into agroforestry. It’s €660/Ha for 5 years and this is expected to increase in the next budget.

There’s an article in the Journal about a guy with 10Ha of it in Cork. He has integrated arable and livestock.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement

What genius thought up the idea that you cant plant trees in the same parcel where you have WBC??

Just say your land parcel is very large and the 2 actions are a kilometre apart?

It makes no sense...they are actually making it as awkward as fùck to plant trees....

Cant plant trees within 60 metres of dwelling house, cant plant near esb lines, cant plant near ringforts.....

I want to plant but I cant plant anywhere that would suit my farm.....

Do they want to help the environment or what??.....serious gobshìtes in DAFM...

What is the logic behind not being allowed to do certain actions in the same land parcel??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭endainoz

I was thinking the same myself. Agroforestry could be the way to go for sure.

€800+ year 1 to get the plan in. You will be given a timeslot and will only have 1 hour max with your planner so you are advised to know what you want before they come.

Nice money €800/hour. I bet all those Heart surgeons are kicking themselves now for not going into agri

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I’ve no option but to be in it. With all payments, I just about break even in a Normal year after paying my mam her maintenance money so I’d be a fair few thousand back if I didn’t join. I think I’ll be in the €10k bracket with the hen harrier but obviously won’t get the full whack.

when your field is scored and they don’t see the number of flowers they want, is there a way to stitch them in like clover etc? More curious as to how to increase flowers in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭older by the day

Ya it is hassle but if you spend the first years payment you'll get four more back. If you have 1euro in the bank in five years it will be worth 80cent. The payments are poor though. If you put some land into low input grazing will that be taken out of your fertilizer limit when it comes in? That would be a bigger worry

I think a bigger worry with that option is not getting any payment at all. It all depends on the time of year you take the snapshot. You need several species of grass and flower just to get the basic amount and if you spread fertilizer then that makes the ryegrass dominant and you'll get a low score. so no money. Even if you manage to get a good cover of plants and flowers then you need the advisor to come and take the snapshot. And in mid summer do you think you'll be able to get him? Will all the fields be ready to be inspected at the same time? If not will you have to get him out again. Call out fees of €200 per visit are being bantered about and that's on top of the annual fee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭DBK1

That’s my reading on the situation as well. Lads could very easily end up with next to nothing after all the work is done and the advisor fees are paid.

My thinking would be the best thing for this scheme is if no one at all were to apply for it. They’d have to come up with something a bit more enticing then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,458 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They will not. It will definitely be enticing to larger farms and to farms in the west if Ireland.

Problem with the last scheme is that a lot of private planners just did the plans and lads carried on as normal. In the last scheme I ended up with less than 2k/ year. Teagasc planner would not consider any reseed field ( some reseeded 10+ years) for LIPP. In total I got 0.6 HA into LIPP. I would not consider traditional hay meadow.

There was exclusions as well. You could not have LIPP next to a monument. That excluded 2 HA and neither could it be on the same plot where you got paid for fencing off a water way and that was a compulsory option to enter the scheme.

I got paid for LESS, bird, bee and bat boxes as well as two sand location fir Bees. It cost me a year in fees maybe a tad with it. If there is an annual charge and I. Not above 3.5-4k I will not be entering it. I am not really interested in doing bird cover or planting trees,around the farmyard. It hard enough to keep rats and crows at bay without sheltering them further.

However the private planners kinda of f@@ked it last time.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

Really debating whether to go for this. Am renting a small place that doesn't really break even so have always been in reps , and GLAS as its the only way of getting a few euro. Had intended joining this as its the only scheme available regardless of its limitations, and with the thinking i have to be in some scheme as i always have and class the money as something you get every year such as BPS. However after talking to my planner last week i have serious doubts. I was getting 1900 a year in GLAS and if i was to base the new scheme payment as the same amount, i used to give my planner 200 euro a year to do the GLAS and BPS application and all that stuff, but if he is have to be coming out now doing checks on fields how much more will his fee rise to, 400 or more....that would leave 1500 and as i am a PAYE working on the high rate of tax you could be paying 40% tax on whatevers left. My only realoption it seems to get anyways decent payment is the WBC but whereas before you just have to sow it and have proof with receipts for seed and the likes, now in the ACRES it has to grow or you will get no payment. Just think for the hassle the few euro isn't worth. The hectare and a half thats now in WBC, and i would have to put into WBC again if i reseeded it and got 2 cuts of silage off it and even sold the bales for a couple of euro profit and put 30 store lambs on it for 4/5 months would surely leave as much with nearly less hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Few Questions i cant seem to find answers for elsewhere:

Is there a list of breeds which are deemed as rare breeds?. I have a few shetland sheep here and im wondering if they would be eligble?.

How does it fair out on rented ground?. if my lease wasnt renewed would i have to pay money received back for previous years?

Advertisement