Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ministerial Pensions

Options
  • 25-08-2022 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Mary O'Rourke, 85, according to wikipedia gets 95k per annum from the state. That's equivalent to what 7 OAPs her age get COMBINED. This isn't a pop at Mary per se just outrage at the level of pensions these people get. Even politicians retire it's still a gravy train. Taoisigh pull in I believe circa 150k. How in gods name do we tolerate this. It was the Robert Troy shenanigans that piqued my interest in what kind of money politicians can earn whether active or not. I chose Mary as she represented Westmeath for decades.

I would cap pensions at 52k pa. Let them source any top up from their huge salaries while active members of DE.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Yet they want paddy mug man to work into their late 70's for a measly 200 a week, kip of a country!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Of course it is a pop at Mary O’Rourke, you singled her out by name. Everyone one knows what the terms of service are for a public representative are just like a barrister, a surgeon a dentist etc, you want any of those rewards you are free to have a go. So if is so easy why don’t you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

You must be on the gravy train too. OP is making a valuable point and you dismiss it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Firblog

Mary Coughlan has been on 104K + since she turned 50 I think, she's about 55 now, so only another 30+ years pulling in that same amt (index linked to present and future earnings of the tainaiste) so roughly 4 million in pension for 24 years in the Dial...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Do TDs get their pension on leaving the da or do they wait until retirement age like ten rest of us?

Why can't they just be on the PS pension like everyone else, their salaries are decent enough as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

These pensions being quoted here are typically made up of TD pension + Minister pension.

The TD pension is very similar to all public servants pensions, that is 50% of the final salary.

TD wage = 100k, so the TD pension is 50k.

However, the key difference is that a PS needs 40 years worked/in pension scheme to get the max 50% pension.

A Garda or Judge needs 30 years I think.

A TD needs 20 years service to get the max 50% pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

One rule for them, one rule for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Are there loopholes for receiving private and public for them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Get a job as a TD so

Sick of people complaining about what other people earn or in this case what they get as a pension

Go and do the job if you think they are getting huge money. For a TD you need no degree/no masters. So off you go

id agree that they should accrue the same fraction per year (1/80) of salary as any other public servant and have it paid at retirement age, not before.

• Advertisement

Well move out and see how you fair else where… for a start you’ll be paying more in pension contributions and still end up working past current retirement age, welcome to reality!

Not even remotely close to a valuable point, just one you agree with. Quit whining, you want a bigger lob of money go do something about it, Go run for election, try working your way up the corporate ladder, learn a profession etc… nobody owes you a living.

Yes all the labour law that protects your job, while they hold office at the whim of the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

It is perfectly legitimate to question the pay of public servants whilst working another job and having no interest in becoming a TD.

Why on earth do you think only people who have tried to become a TD themselves can question the salaries and pensions they receive.

And like every other public servants should they have job security as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

PS workers or Gardai don't not have to reapply for their job every 5 years or less.

And the success in that reapplication is often out of their own hands depending on how the public feel about their party, the government or the country in general.

There is no restrictions on anyone receiving more that one pension but they don’t come on the back of rice crispy boxes, they big trice is to find one.

Plus as we seen in the last election, it didn't matter how you performed as a TD for the people who voted you in, we had a revolt election and people just voted for a specific party to pi** of the other parties.

So the TD who has spent a lifetime serving the local community was suddenly out on their ear for no reason

TD gets their work pension at the State Pension age, currently 66.

They used to get it earlier.

Older TDs may be eligible to get it earlier.

This question doesn't make sense.

Please elaborate.

• Advertisement

The TD pension is now paid at the State Pension age, so your second request has happened.

I agree with your first suggestion.

If you mean receiving several pensions, that is completely normal.

I myself will receive three pensions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

And you only need a portion of those 20 years for the ministerial pension on top.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Some of those tds are claiming second pensions for jobs they never worked in, chiefly teaching positions.

You need to be two years as a Minister/Junior Minister to get a Ministerial pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Raven1221

This is a lot of money and I say it is the right thing to do. For high rank person; like the Ministry.

If you teach for 5 years, and are a TD for 10 years, then you will get two pensions?

Teaching = (5yr)(1/80) = 5/80 of final salary

TD = (10yr)(1/40) = 20/80 of final salary

I think that's correct?

They hardly get 15 years teacher pension and 10 years TD pension?

How many of those actually exist anymore?

Plus they don't get a pension for "jobs they never worked in". In regards to teaching they have worked in the job and got a full time contract with the department of education is my understanding? then gone in politics

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭timmyntc

People mention how TDs can "lose their job" every 5 years or so - are there any TDs out there who on failing to get reelected, sat jobless for ages?

No, I didnt think so. The majority of which are already business owners or landlords before even getting elected - I dont think these people need a gold plated pension as some kind of consolation prize. Its a spurious argument from those who seek to defend the gross waste of money culture in the public service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

The whole public service pension thing is outrageous. It's not just TD's OP. I worked with a lad in my last job as a minibius driver who was a retired Garda at 53 years of age. He'd put in his 30 years of service and walked away with a huge lump sum and 50% of his final weekly wage for a pension every year until he dies. We figured he was on around 1400 the day he retired due to his position in the force so that's 700 euro per week for doing nothing, that's insane.

Now on the other hand the government is going to be soon expecting people in the private sector to keep working until they are almost 70 before receiving a measly 230 per week. Some of these people may have worked all their lives. It stinks to high heaven.

Advertisement