Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,435 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

All this effort does is keep Trump's claims of "illegitimate search" active and in the news even though it is an action that will be struck down. Trump is playing to the crowd whilst DoJ is finally doing its job and building their case.

If I knew I wasn't going to get out of this through the courts, and if I thought I was an expert dealmaker, I'd be firing up the base as much as possible in the belief that I could negotiate my way out of it with the implied threat of massive civil disturbance from my followers. Seeing the president's request for an impartial special master shot down by a judge who I'm sure is now being called a RINO is only going to help with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

It'll continue until those from his base funding him admit the truth, that he's succeeded in conning them for years now and cut off his dollar supply.

Another one Trump got wrong. The jury at the kidnap and explosives trial of two men - Adam Fox and Barry Croft Jr - accused of plotting to kidnap Michigan Gov Whitmer two years ago has convicted them on the conspiracy to kidnap charge and found them guilty of conspiring to obtain a weapon of mass destruction, namely a bomb to blow up a bridge and stymie police if the kidnapping could be pulled off at Whitmer’s vacation home. Croft, 46, a trucker from Bear, Delaware, was also convicted of another explosives charge.

The jury in an earlier trial couldn't reach a unanimous verdict in the spring. As for other defendants in the larger case, NBC News’ report added that two other men were acquitted and two more pleaded guilty and testified for prosecutors.

Earlier this month, Trump appeared at a far-right gathering and went further. “[T]his thing they did involving Gretchen Whitmer was fake,” the Republican said to applause. “Just like those who instigated January 6. It was a fake deal. Fake. It was a fake deal.”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

The special master I see given and probably no objection by the other side. But this will be ordered as the files are looked at anyway and not as you get to see them first and stop the investigation

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

A Special Master will get him nothing.

Their might be some personal stuff between him and a lawyer mixed among what was taken by the FBI which could be excluded , but every single document that he took from the White House is not his and he has about as much authority to claim privilege over them as any of us do.

• Advertisement

It may not get him anything. May say hey look something they took they shouldn't have (which was in the middle of what they could take) but it would cost nothing and it be calling his bluff

The judge hearing the case about revealing the affidavit used to provide the grounds for the Mar-A-Lago search warrant has instructed the DOJ to release the redacted version he's approved of by 12 mid-day today. The affidavit apparently has the words "uncharged persons" included amongst witnesses who provided details of the presence of the documents found in Mar-A-Lago.

Using those two words can seem to imply that there are persons in Trump's Mar-A-Lago home who may have been contacted by the DOJ and may have an offer made to to them to give testimony against Trump in exchange for a lesser or no prosecution. However unlikely as it might seem, the use of the words might be a bluff to put the **** up Trump and make him come to the table for a deal with the DOJ himself. It would avoid a trial which most would be happy with, incl people in the senate and congress of both parties. It would have to include Trump's signature before notaries which he could not wriggle out of, deny or call fake, however much he wants to shout "witch-hunt".

Another thing is the import Trump put into getting his passports back as they should be needed for any foreign travel. It's noticeable that Trump cancelled his visit to his club here in Ireland, making it plain the court case is taking all of his interest now.

So you think the DOJ would put untruths in an affidavit that was used to get a search warrant. Have you any idea of the crap storm that would produce if known.

1st Trump and the Republicans would have ammo against the Democrats for years.

2nd Without those witnesses the DOJ effectively said it was a fishing expedition.

3rd The search would be declared an illegal one so any and all documents found could not be used in any prosecution that was to come.

Who knows given the documents were taken illegally they might have to return them.

Do you really think the DOJ and Garland are that stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I fail to see what the plan is by Team Trump for pushing to get this released.

Apart for time wasting and making it appear that they have 'something', which tbf he has a history of like with the 60 vote fraud cases, but unless there is something then surely it will only add weight on the case against him?

Is it that, like the Mueller report, he is banking on the majority of people either not understanding it or not bothering to read it, and then he can simply claim it is whatever he wants and now claim that the redacted parts obviously are proof it was all a scam?

It seems, from what is reported to be in Trumps legal teams filing with the court, about the documents and his wanting the court to reveal what is on the Mar-A-Lago search warrant and its affidavit [who the Mar_A-Lago witnesses are] that the filing also included mention of a message Trump had one of his lawyers forward to AG Garland. Now this is where things may have turned Trumpian in nature.

While it's possible that Trump's message delivered by phone from one of his lawyers to Jay Bratt, the chief of the counterespionage section of the national security division of the Justice Department [“President Trump wants the Attorney General to know that he has been hearing from people all over the country about the raid. If there was one word to describe their mood, it is ‘angry.’ The heat is building up. The pressure is building up. Whatever I can do to take the heat down, to bring the pressure down, just let us know"] was entirely innocent in content and an open offer to cool what was being ramped up by Trumps own invective about the FBI search of Mar-A-Lago, it's entirely possible that Trumps message could have meant something entirely different, given how he's passed comments about what angry persons stated they'd like to do to his V/P on Jan 6 at the Capitol.

It should have been stupid for a lawyer to deliver a message with the power of misinterpretation to the chief law-enforcement officer in the land, but Trump's lawyers seem to have an inadequate understanding of what and how the law applies to citizens equally, regardless of how secure and privilege-proofed they imagine their standing in society is. I don't see any claim of lawyer/client privilege existing to protect the Trump lawyer in that lawyer/Bratt conversation as it seems to have been also included accidentally in the unsealed filings Trump & Co made to the court. This was when Trump's own base were threatening to target and kill FBI agents [and their families] involved in the search at Mar-A-Lago. Putting his speaking where its due, Trump does have a history of blunt messaging to those he sees as mere servants.

It seems the lawyer-to-Bratt message was delivered the same day that AG Garland later revealed plans to unseal the warrant related to Trump's Mar-A-Lago property, said revelation may have been entirely coincidental, whatever effect it would have had on Trumps legal team of total public revelation of Trumps own acts and deeds contrary to the espionage act.

• Advertisement

No, I don't think the DOJ would or did put untruths in the affidavit, just used the words uncharged persons in it to send a legal message to Trump staff in Mar-A-Lago. Its a fact that the DOJ has been in contact with people in Mar-A-Lago to assist it in its investigation into Trumps unlawful possession of the documents. Its more than probable that those people are aware the words were used by the DOJ and whom could be expected to be legally liable alongside Trump. Its giving those people a heads up that they are likely to be on the DOJ list after Trump and gives them the opportunity to testify against Trump and save themselves from criminal conviction. Trump is on record as disliking people he suspects of being disloyal to him.

What the DOJ says about Trump in respect to his possession of the documents also applies to them. All his lawyers have legal obligations to uphold the US legal justice system. If they took, handled, looked at, read, and returned any of the documents in Trumps Mar-A-Lago home after he left office, they are complicit in Trumps crimes. They have no legal rights [good faith or no] to the documents either.

One thing about Trumps White House years is that he employed his own family members as staff there, having them on the presidential payroll. I doubt if he's dropped that practice, if for nothing else than a loyalty method and a tax break opportunity as well.

Looks like you're right about the scam part. Re team Trump pushing for the release, it may simply be down to him being anxious to know who the DOJ witnesses are in Mar-A-Lago over all else, incl lawyers advice.

Pushing for the release may hurt him bad if any part of the unredacted material proves or supports him or his staff handling it after it arrived in Mar-A-Lago. Mention was made of handwriting notations by him on some of the classified documents along with photos, newspaper clippings etc mixed in with them in the boxes. If they are dated [like most news pages are] as printed after he left the W/H, then a case can be made that the contents were not mixed up prior to him leaving the W/H but in Mar-A-Lago itself after Biden took up duty in the W/H.

If publication of those specific classified documents pages [redacted or otherwise] and other items don't endanger serving agents abroad or at home and doesn't cause harm to national security but back up DOJ contention that he handled them after he left the W/H then it closes the net further on him at Mar-A-Lago.

Silly as it might seem, denial of handling the documents etc, might fail due to the most basic of things; fingerprints, assuming those former Trump W/H staffers who went with him to Mar-A-Lago had their prints taken as part of their basic W/H security vetting and the FBI do basic checking of the documents in this criminal investigation.

The US DNI has told congress that she is going to do a review of the documents recovered by the FBI in its search of Trumps Mar-A-Lago home in August to see if they pose a threat to US national security. It seems to be similar in nature to what Trumps legal team asked the judge for by the appointment of a special master, a check on what was in the haul. Ref Trump and his lawyer/s, It seems to me that the DNI would have no reason to withhold client/lawyer privileged documents unrelated to and containing no mention of data lifted or copied from the intelligence documents.

It seems the review will include [for comparison purposes] the 15 boxes of documents returned by Trump in Jan 2022, some of whom are now reported to include CIA documents with details of human intelligence sources [US spies] on them. The DNI review is to include checks to see if the documents recovered by the FBI in August include documents containing similar information on CIA spies and intelligence gathering methods.

One point which will become clear is whether Trump and [some of] his legal team directly lied to the DOJ about him possessing more classified intelligence documents and their knowledge of him doing so, the scope of which is unclear yet. The letter sent by his legal team in June to the DOJ stated that there were no more classified intelligence documents held by Trump at Mar-A-Lago.

Putting it mildly, if the DNI finds such CIA documents in the FBI August haul, Trump and his legal team will be hard put to explain why such CIA documents were sitting in boxes mixed with newspaper clippings and photos in unsecure rooms [plural] in his home and why he denied there were such documents in his home in the first place. The discovery of CIA documents held by Trump should confound those continuing to defend him in congress.

I was thinking about how Trump may end up being linked in US history to Daniel Ellsberg, something he doubtless would never have thought possible, via the Espionage Act should he be charged with offences under the act. Ellsberg took it a stage further, by writing an article on the connections between Trump and Julian Assange, Trump having pushed for Assange's extradition to the US for prosecution under the espionage act. It would be a very strange end to this particular part of US national politics history.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,347 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Why was he told to put a padlock on a door to keep documents safe when he had said he didn't have any more after the first lot were handed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Timeline of events,,,

"June 3: Jay Bratt, the Justice Department’s counterintelligence chief, and other agents visit Mar-a-Lago to meet with Trumps lawyers Evan Corcoran and Christina Bobb, who show them the basement storage area where the materials were stored. Bratt and the agents are given additional classified material that was not recovered in January, and Bobb signs a statement asserting there was no more classified material at Mar-a-Lago, to the best of her knowledge, according to The New York Times.

The Wall Street Journal later reported that in the weeks after the visit an information tipped off the FBI that there were still classified documents at Mar-a-Lago.

June 8: Bratt emails Corcoran asking that the storage room be secured. “We ask that the room at Mar-a-Lago where the documents had been stored be secured and that all the boxes that were moved from the White House to Mar-a-Lago (along with any other items in that room) be preserved in that room in their current condition until further notice,” the email reads, according The Wall Street Journal."

Another question would be if the FBI planted the documents, why does he want them back.

It's to keep up his "I'm the victim here" line rather than actually get them back, a "they robbed my election victory and want to stop me running again" conspiracy. Last week, when he claimed the FBI search team planted the documents in Mar-A-Lago, he also said he would have given them to NARA but the FBI stopped him from doing so by illegally taking the documents from him. This after he had the documents for over 18 months without handing them over to NARA.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There is no real "plan" behind this , it is simply a scatter gun of any thought that passes by his eyes that gets vomited forward in the hopes that one of them will resonate with his base and stick.

We've had so many different ideas/excuses thrown out it's way beyond a joke.

• I don't have any documents
    • I already gave everything back
    • The Documents are mine not theirs
    • I declassified them all
    • I had a standing rule that anything I took out of the oval office was automatically declassified
    • If they had just asked I would have given them everything back
    • They planted evidence
    • They took my stuff I want it back

He lies utterly reflexively. He actually doesn't even register them as lies, he simply says whatever he thinks is the most advantageous thing for him to say in that specific moment.

The fact that it might utterly contradict something he said only moments before isn't a factor.

He is quite possibly the most transactional human being to ever exist with absolutely zero ability to think beyond the right here and now and his own personal gratification.

He is going to get money from the similarly minded and simple minded anyway.

The amount of Nigerian prince level spam his organisation sends out does work on them.

More of a stupid admission in my opinion regarding having the documents when he shouldn't.

• Advertisement

Sections in this newspaper's online publication indicate that the DOJ think's some-one at Trump's Mar-A-Lago home may have moved Govt documents from the storage room there and concealed them elsewhere in Trump's home and this frustrated attempts by his own lawyers to certify that there were no classified Govt documents in the room prior to the visit by Jay Bratt on 03 June. The May/June timeline is essential, because Trump’s lawyers later told investigators that they searched the storage area and that all classified documents were accounted for. Their certification sent to the DOJ was in response to a Grand Jury subpoena issued in May to Trump to hand over any classified documents he held in Mar-A-Lago.

In the DOJ’s account, Trump’s lawyer said that all the remaining documents from Trump’s White House were being kept in the storage at Mar-a-Lago. “Counsel further represented that there were no other records stored in any private office space or other location at the Premises and that all available boxes were searched,” the filing said. The DOJ account also mentioned the Trump lawyers prevented the FBI from examining the contents of boxes in the storage room.

A picture on the final page of the filing showing classified documents arrayed on the floor of Trump’s office — full of classified markings like “HCS,” or human confidential sources — hammered home how sensitive the material Trump had taken was.

Another subpoena was issued from the federal courthouse in Washington by Chief Judge Beryl Howell on 22 Aug in the DC District Court authorizing the DOJ to reveal the grand jury subpoenas. This was apparently sought because since the August 8 search, a number of previously secret court filings the DOJ submitted to obtain the warrant have been made partially public in part because of a bid for transparency filed in court by several media organizations, including CNN.

Another reason for the DC subpoena being issued was because Trump himself included the Grand Jury subpoena in filings he made in court “The former President disclosed this subpoena and a subpoena for video footage at the Premises in his filings to this Court".

It's interesting to note the mention of Trump Premises video footage in the DC Court dealings, presumably CCTV footage from his Mar-A-Lago home mentioned weeks back of him and his staff watching replays of the FBI search recorded on his own CCTV security system and provide evidence contradicting his "the FBI planted documents" claims. It might also have recorded them watching the replays.

Which ever lawyer signed that statement claiming that they'd given back everything etc. is in serious trouble.

At the very least it's professional misconduct and could lose them their license but it's also probably perjury/obstruction of justice which could lose them a whole lot more.

The timeline showing the communications between him and National Archive people and then the FBI just removes any conceivable defense he might try to concoct.

Trump simply has no defense here , none whatsoever - He is at the mercy of the DOJ and the courts.

There are clear pointers to multiple charges.

• Theft of classified materials
    • The various "Mishandling" charges
    • Obstruction of Justice
    • Perjury/Obstruction from his legal team

And that's before you even begin to consider what may or may not have happened with the documents he had in his possession.

At the charitable best those documents could have been viewed without his knowledge by any number of people making their way in to Mar-a-Lago. At worst he may have made a conscious decision to share the information with others either for profit or because he is a man-child that likes to show off his "trinkets".

Definitely makes you start to wonder what exactly MBS is getting (or has gotten) for his $2B investment in Kushners company..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,500 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Quite a few people are wondering what happened at the meeting between Trump and Putin in Helsinki in 2018. His overall behaviour was very suspicious and erratic - the question being asked is if he handed over documents to Putin there.

Well, the lawyer now has a few options. Either they knew there were more documents and lied. Misconduct and probable licence issues

They were told by Trump there were no more documents, and Trump deliberately lied. This removes all credibility from Trump and he will have a tough time arguing any case.

But the lawyer will have to pick one and go with it.

Yet another example of people that get destroyed by getting in too close to Trump.

I highly doubt anything was physically handed over at that meeting.

I don't doubt however that Trump likely said things he absolutely shouldn't have because he has shown repeatedly that he has zero ability to keep his mouth shut.

Take the emotion of Trump out of it. Imagine that an ordinary Joe had meet with known Russian secret agents, after ditching the rest of their work colleagues. Then when they left the company they worked for they took lots of trade secrets and patents/blueprints and kept them in their house. Denied they took them and refused to give them back.

They would be up on charges no doubt about it. This is exactly what Trump has done. He stole state secrets. His defence of not knowing, or thinking they weren't classified falls apart because he had been informed on numerous occasions that they were and asked to give them back.

I am actually really surprised that he is getting such little blowback from everyday Americans, never mind the secret service and military over this. The Americans take all this stuff really seriously yet seemed prepared to give Trump the benefit of the doubt for no reason

It's also where the comparisons with Hilary Clinton and her email server fall down.

Hilary Clinton was an employee that took work home with them and used her personal email for some work stuff. When called out on it , she gave everything back and stopped using the incorrect tools.

Trump was an employee that was fired and then stole a load of company property when he was leaving and then refused to give it back despite being asked repeatedly to do so.

One thing about the two Trump lawyers involved in the early June meeting with the FBI at is that one of them is the man appointed by Trump as his liaison with NARA in the "discussions" on the handover of all classified Govt documents to NARA. The other lawyer is the woman who seems to have signed the letter to the DOJ certifying that there were NO more classified Govt documents in the storage room at Mar-A-Lago, following on presumably after the Jan this year handover of [15?] boxes to the FBI. For her letter to have no recoil on her, she would have to have been offsite and fixed with plausible deniability around the time there were any secret transfers and hiding of the documents to other rooms inside Mar-A-Lago.

If the DOJ was made aware of such goings-on, it would follow-on that this would necessitate a warrant search and seizure operation by the FBI to avoid destruction of the documents. Things were inevitable from that time on. Trump knows the name/identity of the informant is most probably on the evidence letter given to the magistrate-judge who signed-off on the warrant. He has to desire that above all now.

AFAIK, from what's been in the media reports about the August FBI search and seize visit at Mar-A-Lago., they were the lawyers representing Trump there at that time. They seem to be the senior lawyers on Trumps legal team but that might have changed over the past few days as there was mention yesterday in the media of Trump hiring more lawyers. If the new hiring report is true, that leads almost directly to find out what their law expertise is; Criminal Defense or just more of the kind he has up to two or three days ago.

If it's criminal defense lawyers, it helps explain why Lindsey Graham is spouting off about "battles on the street" if Trump is arrested. He must know there are good enough grounds to fear that arrest. He has no lawyer-client alliance with Trump which is probably why he's trying to avoid his chance to testify without risk before the committee or the grand jury. He has been at/in regular strategy meeting with Trump and Co since before Jan 06 2021.

On classified document-content, the Indo ran a small report about Trump saying he has info on President Macron's choice in matters sexual. As what Trump's says is not always reliable, he may just be running another "fake news" distraction balloon, a canard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,272 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Story here about Macron's sordid details, although personally I thought it was a requirement to be french president that you had to have something along these lines

• Advertisement

I think they all clearly know that Trump is almost certainly going to be charged so they have moved away from the "He did nothing wrong" defense lines and they are now test driving the "But Hilary" and "If he's charged there'll be trouble" variants.

In terms of Lawyers , Trump really doesn't seem to have a whole lot of choice available

The newish guy ,Trusty has a background in RICO cases as a prosecutor but most of the others are just a fairly rag-tag bunch of mid ranking lawyers with little to no "big league" experience.

He's not lining up a bunch of high priced white-shoe lawyers by any means.

Advertisement