Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky glass

• 25-08-2022 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone going to get this service now it is in Ireland

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Buying a TV on Hire Purchase isn't for me, I can't get over the idea of buying a TV over 4 years, other than that I'd probably go for it, I've SIRO broadband so I've a rock solid internet connection so it'd be a great option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Timfy

Toying with the idea but I have several issues that I'm not sure I can get past.

Not having control of your own recordings as there's no local storage. Many horror stories of content disappearing as it relies heavily on catch up services. UK football for instance is contractually time limited before it has to be removed.

Playlists, the replacement for recordings, is reported as buggy and hard to navigate as it brings up everything. For example if you search on Top Gear it brings up every episode from every season rather than just last nights episode and shows content on all streaming platforms and service tiers, even if you don't subscribe.

After a certain time (not sure if 6 or 12 months) there is a €5 per month charge to fast forward ads.

Extra sub required to activate Dolby Atmos.

The TV is two inches thick!!!

€19 extra per month for multiroom.

My rural broadband is a whopping 25Mb, just about okay for HD but UHD is out. Not really an issue as I don't view much UHD content.

Tying myself to an unproven product for 4 years.

I'm sure this will be the future of Sky TV but I'm not sure if it can replace SkyQ yet.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Delta2113

If you have SkyQ then switching to this would be a backward step.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It depends really what you are looking for.

The all in one set up may suit a lot of people, particularly families with small children who might have fun poking at wires. This one needs a power cable and nothing else. For those with restrictions who can’t put up a satellite dish (apartments etc) it may well be also suitable. Oh and there’s BBC catch up.

But compared to Sky Q, you are giving up access to a real satellite tuner, no tuning in ITV or Channel 5. Channels that only pay Sky for a EPG listing are missing. No recording if the channel has a catch up service. You have to pay to fast forward adverts. A lot of disadvantages.

I wouldn’t make too much out of the fact that it can be bought on HP. People have short memories but renting TVs was virtually ubiquitous here until the 1990s (our younger readers may want to Google “RTV Rentals”).It’s not new and Sky are offering 0% interest on credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

"no tuning in itv or channel 5" I have sky q and REALLY need ITV but dont know how to tune it in. can anyone help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Gooser14

"This one needs a power cable and nothing else."

Surely you need a decent internet service. Plenty of places in Ireland don't have a suitable internet service.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I mean in terms of wires. You don’t need a wired internet connection, wifi is suitable. My comment was in the context of taking about wires out of the back that can be poked at by small kids - this is a genuine concern for many and not all of us are DIY geniuses that can build a suitable built in cabinet to hide away wires (and renters may not be allowed to build such a thing).

Yes of course you need a suitable internet connection - as you will for Sky Q, if that is your platform of choice. It can be used without internet but you are effectively limited to live tv and recordings. If you have no LAN you won’t be able to use multiroom either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭Masala

hi. just bumping this thread to see if any further comments on the above. Am in market for new 43in tv in a renovated kitchen/ living room setup and this could be a solution to my problem in hanging sky box high on the wall etc.

anyone get it in yet??

Advertisement