Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think it's just Sony being Sony. Nobody does evil corporate hubris as well Sony when they are on top.

This is the same Sony that told people to get two jobs if they couldnt afford a PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I do think it's an awful decision from Sony. Let's face it, before the prices of the PS5 and SeriesX were announced there was discussion about whether or not the prices would be more than 500 simply due to the level of performance both consoles were aiming for. And prices of components have increased, so I don't dispute that the cost of production has probably gone up in the past 2 years.

But Sony are already trailing Xbox in terms of value especially due to Gamepass, and their re-jigging of PS+ has been lacklustre at best. Take the hit on the console, especially since demand for the consoles are still high, and just try keep people in the PS ecosystem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I genuinely believe this version is worse. Making a stupid comment to justify the enormous price of your console after you let the lead designer lose the run of himself is one thing. Price gouging people during a cost of living crisis for console that's already difficult to buy, specifically in the regions where it has little or no competition, is something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Obviously more complicated than simply Sony = Yen & MS= Dollars when you've got international companies between multiple currencies and divisions with money being earned a spent locally.

But MS is making ~20% less straight away from Euro and Pounds sales when that ends up back home, Yen Pounds & Euro value has fallen to the dollar but not too much change relative to each other giving Sony similar revenue for Europe and a 20% boost for dollar less inflation in cost.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think it's silly to pretend Phil Spencer is a 'friend' or anything like that, but my god the difference between him and Jim Ryan is extraordinary. Spencer at least seems personable and straight-talking, even if he is another corporate executive at the end of the day. Whereas Jim Ryan comes across like he has never played a video game in his life.

The only faint praise I can give Ryan is that he at least puts his name to the blog posts announcing his company's terrible decisions rather than throwing someone else under the bus 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I honestly still don’t really see the point or value of moving to the PS5 for me.

I have a PS4 Pro, there is literally nothing on the PS5 that I want, that I can’t already play on the machine I have.

I had the funds months ago to buy one and ended up getting a Steam Deck with them and really haven’t regretted that since.

The way things are going I could see myself just waiting for another couple of years, because there’s really nothing on the Horizon that I can’t play on the Pro.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

"The way things are going I could see myself just waiting for another couple of years, because there’s really nothing on the Horizon that I can’t play on the Pro."

I see what you did there 😉

I think we are at the beginning of the end of the cross-gen period, this one has certainly gone on a long while. At least the quality of cross-gen games has been good this time, no Shadow of Mordor-style shitshows that I can recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭quokula

Given the price the PS5 has been selling for second hand, it's amazing that Sony have spent two years selling it at a cost far lower than the value consumers put on it. In times of high inflation where production costs and transport costs are through the roof, you'd be hard pressed to find a category of product that isn't going up in price, so I'm not sure why people think gaming should be immune to what's going on in the rest of the world. PC hardware has increased exponentially, it's levelled off again now but those silicon price increases will have been filtering through the manufacturing process for a while. The exact same thing is happening with cars for example.

At that price it's still great value, as an owner of a PS5, a Series X, Switch and a RTX 3080 gaming PC, the PS5 gets more than twice as much use as the rest combined. And they could add €300 to the price and it would still be an absolute bargain compared to a gaming PC.

Facebook have ramped up their VR prices too, and I expect we'll see more in the current world of double digit inflation. It's pretty immature to try and turn economic reality into a console war fanboyism thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Personally I don't think anyone would argue about the value for money these devices are over their lifetime. I think the main issue is that everywhere is in the middle of a cost of living crisis and then Sony wants more money for their console. I don't think there is any doubt that they are facing higher production costs but it's the fact that this multi billion dollar company won't take the €50 hit themselves after massive profits over the last few years is what is grating a lot of people and this is after they have already increased their games to €80 from previous generations.

It makes financial sense from the corporation point of view but it's seems a very consumer orientated tone deaf decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

We don't know what their cost are per unit is now. This time last year they announced the disc version wasn't selling for a loss anymore.

Even with the 10% increase they could still only be breaking even or back to a loss.

They are also charging 80 quid for the Last of Us with the PC quality settings set to extreme.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It'll be interesting to see what they charge for Last of Us on PC if it launches soon after the PS5 version. Wonder if they'll go for the €80 price tag. I know Square-Enix already pushed their luck with the FF7R PC release price despite it arriving ages after PS4.

I am not saying that €80 is in any way justifiable, or that this new version is in any way necessary, but you know that's just not true right? The 'high PC settings' version of TLOU came out a year after the original release on PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The €80 asking price is just not sitting well with me at all. Hard to even debate it online as if you're against it, you're team 'I hate Neil Cuckman' and if defend it, you're a sony/naughty dog fanboy. I know Demons Souls was 80 but that's a completely different beast imo. It's so different to the original, it is absolutely a remake where as this may be 'built from the ground up' to look a lot better but it's the same game minus Factions. It's so irritating the amount of posts from ND/Sony about it. They had a feature video about the water gun mechanics, like they are desperately trying to convince people it's an 80 euro game. I love Sony/Naughty Dog/Last of us but between the asking price of TLOU pt 1 and now the console increase, absolutely leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Such bad decision making.

Yeah those videos about it have a whiff of when Sony sent insomniac out to defend the first Resistance after the bad reviews and word if mouth. A real time demonstration and conference to show how the grenades sent out individual pieces of shrapnel and then the journalists being baffled by it and just asking why does it look and run worse than gears of war.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭McFly85

€80 is ridiculous for a very nice looking 2013 game. From a commercial standpoint I hope it tanks, but I’m interested to see what reviewers think. This is the first instance I can remember where they’ll be reviewing a game that’s already on the system and available for free. It feels kind of like reviewing Skyrim but with all of the graphics mods in it - is anyone really going to be able to justify spending any money on it?

The console price increase is a poor move too. I use my PS5 far more than my series X and have always loved Sony consoles but they’ve had a few missteps recently. They’re still a bit away from being the king of the gougers that is Nintendo, though.

Be interesting to see if it affects sales at all, but considering the demand of the console I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And I knew someone would call me a fanboy and claim I was defending it. I wasn't. I gave my opinion but didn't defend it at any point. I personally think it's good value even with the price increase, that's all.

I agree with the €80 though. That's too much, but I get new releases for around €30 with a trade in and Level 4 GameStop card. I rarely replay games so trading makes the most sense, and if I like it enough I'll trade it and get it cheaper digitally later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Onto something more pleasant; Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty could be good. Here's the first gameplay trailer.

Already confirmed for Game Pass too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

At the start of most console runs they are sold at a loss to gain market share. It's usually 2+ years down the line when the chips etc have gotten cheaper and they have gotten better at making them / make a revision that they start to become cost effective.

I'd also think that they had to launch at 500 to meet the series x. And are selling at a substantial loss already.

Now with chip prices not only not coming down but having gotten more expensive, along with everything else needed to manufacture and ship them, from the electricity to the diesel. With such price hikes across the board they just can't keep eating the loss on each console.

So while not good news for anyone looking to buy one. On the other hand anyone that really wanted one has one by now. They have been easy to get for the last 6 months.

The 80 for a game I can't get on board with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

They could just sell their games on XBox, PC, Switch, Steam, cloud ... lots more sales ...

Would save them loads of money. And lots less environmental waste. Also one less platform for developers to develop, and test for. Huge savings all round. Less junk in my house too 😝

The hardware is all the same and Series X is a much nicer looking and much quieter console.

Runs away ... 😝

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

My main dream, for this generation, is a Nintendo home console as powerful as Series X or PS5.

So, another dream, Nintendo release on XBox Series X.

Super Quiet, Super Cool, Super Mario Odyssey 2 in 4K, 60 FPS, HDR, Ray Tracing.

Connected to my Solar Panels. Haven't got these, they'd be Nintendo Solar Panels in the shape of goombas and mushrooms ...

Everything on the cartridge/disk. No downloads, dlcs, or patches. Perfect day 1. No network connectivity or surveillance at all. Offline, off the grid gaming.

That's the dream.

😊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yes, you want a PC. Not all you dream there but the closest you will get.

And everyone who's mad at the PS5 price increase, what about the monopoly on the game distribution or the artificial exclusives? These are the real anti consumer things to worry about.

Ah, a PC is too fiddly and underpowered at 500 quid or 550 quid. Plus none of those exclusives on there.

It's all going to go cloud streaming at this rate and Sony et al will be running their games on the cheapest platform possible in the data centre.

This is why I think you'll see more and more PC releases from Sony.. e.g. see latest Spiderman and Death Stranding ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Cordell

Clearly the console prices are extremely good value it terms of price/performance. Nothing comes even close.

As for games re-released at full price after years from original exclusive release, that's a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I do think Sony increasing the price is a bad move, or at the very least increasing the price immediately. Had they said they'd have increased supply now, but after Xmas the price will be going up, at least that'd help people who've had trouble getting one since launch to get one for this Xmas and then there's fair warning about the price increase too.

But given the value of Gamepass already and the advantage MS have there, Sony would surely be better to continue taking the hit on the console and try make money from keeping people in the PS ecosystem.

The cost of TLOU is also an awful move. I have no doubt they put an insane amount of work into it, but not the amount of work a full new game would require so it should not be full new game price. The backlash to this was always going to happen and it's insane and arrogant that they didn't see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

This a real nice box of chocolates in the hand of Cole Phelps:

Having one of those can't find a game I want to play days.

Just finished COD Vanguard campaign. Short but surprisingly pretty good especially as I didn't like the MP at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I started Rage after I completed Doom a couple of days ago. It's good kinda, well I'm not far into it but decent so far. It's a Xbox 360 backwards compatible game so graphics are dated. Anyone here ever play Rage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jesus I've been having a couple weeks of that. The amount of new games from ps plus and old games i own that i downloaded to play for 30 minutes and then uninstall has been crazy. Guacamelee 2 is the only one building my interest as I'm short 1 trophy for the platinum, beat hard mode, which is tough as nails. Other than that, everything is blah. I'm really looking forward to NBA 2K23 in a couple of weeks but as much stuff in that I will love, 2K is bound to **** all over it with the most anti-consumer shenanigans in most of gaming.

Advertisement