Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newswire Service

• 02-03-2015 2:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

which newswire services do the radio stations here use to get their news from press releases, or do they use news from a secondary source?

Basically where do they get their news from and how do you send them news

TV and Newspapers use press releases, online services. I assume the radio is the same :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭radioland

househero wrote: »
    which newswire services do the radio stations here use to get their news from press releases, or do they use news from a secondary source?

Basically where do they get their news from and how do you send them news

TV and Newspapers use press releases, online services. I assume the radio is the same :confused:

Since utv stopped offering , think that all independents get news from Newstalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

"Independent" radio.

yea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

radioland wrote: »

any idea which press release services Newstalk subscribes to?

Need a way of contacting them with legitimate news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

radioland wrote: »

UTV only provided their newswire service to their own radio stations. It was a failed bid to provide the service to local stations. When Newstalk won the bid, UTV setup the service anyway with only their own stations using it.

They closed this service last year, with the UTV radio stations now subscribing to the service that they lost out to > Newstalk.

Hope that clears that up.

Local stations use a mixture of their own news and national/international stories from the Newstalk Newswire.

Now if OP has a legimate news story you can contact the relevant station in your area or indeed Newstalk directly. Your local station will jump on the story if you're not a weird crank. The local morning talkshows & newsrooms in most stations are only delighted to hear from somebody with interesting news/story to tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Yep definitely go local. The local station can send it up to Newstalk who in turn can send it down the wires for all to use.

• Advertisement

andyman wrote: »
    Yep definitely go local. The local station can send it up to Newstalk who in turn can send it down the wires for all to use.

I would prefer to deliver the press releases using their preferred and normal PR source. As its not a one off delivery. The fees are insignificant, its just knowing which newswires they predominantly use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They generally don't use any other domestic newswires at all, and UK IRN as the only international. IRN is provided downstream to the stations as well, or was anyway.

Its a case of submitting to Newstalk yourself; and if its a commercial presser don't expect it to go anywhere.

L1011 wrote: »

Its a case of submitting to Newstalk yourself; and if its a commercial presser don't expect it to go anywhere.

Yes exactly what I would expect. Although I have a legitimate vehicle for distributing trustworthy news I am more used to targeting it to UK news sources and it never seems to appear in Irish feeds. They can't pull the news out of thin air and it would be very unprofessional of them to rely on a third party... But that is exactly how it appears to be?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

Did I miss something?

I told you how it operates with Newstalk and local radio in Ireland. If it's newsworthy Newstalk will distribute it via the wires to all subscribing local stations and use it themselves as well.

Or you can submit it directly to the stations. Just create a mailing list if it's a regular thing and all stations will get your release.

What's the issue with that?

It's very easy to contact Newstalk:
    http://www.newstalk.com/footer_pages/contact.php

FYI, IRN wires are still provided to local Irish stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 peterson_carlos

The best thing you can do is to go locally, so you can make sure that you're targeting the right audience you want to. I personally hired a company for pr release service, i am leaving a link of them right here. You can check them out if you want. They will guide you in the best way for sure. Their customer support is available for 24/7 & they are one of the top rated PR releaser in Dubai.

• Advertisement

Ain't having any response from you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

You are replying to a thread 7-and-a-half years later. I had a look at the OP's profile and it looks that they have not been active here for 3 years now!

Advertisement