Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ministerial Pensions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Lets take an example of Violet Anne. Does she meet any of the criteria mentioned above?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭timmyntc

It would be hard to argue that she deserves any compensation, given her record.

Turn the question around - do you believe that Violet-Anne Wynne deserves a TDs pension for her 'hard work' in public office?

Let stick to your original point.

I just used Violet Anne as an example. I have no idea what the circumstances of every TD is and I don't want to know either. But it does confirm the post you made is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well of course she deserves a pension for her work as a TD.

Suggesting otherwise is like saying "timmyntc, I don't think you deserve a pension for your last five years work, hard luck".

People think a TDs work is easy, it's not.

You are at the beck and call of your constituents 24*7 365.

If it was easy a lot more people would be trying to do it.

And all that could be to no avail if you don't get re-elected.

I am sure if you listed out every TD in government, someone would complain and tell you they don't deserve to be paid.

As I always say if a TD job is so easy then people should become one. No qualification required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If it was easy a lot more people would be trying to do it.

A lot more people ARE trying to do it - look at how many cranks and independents etc run for election every cycle. There is no shortage of candidates, thats for sure.

Suggesting otherwise is like saying "timmyntc, I don't think you deserve a pension for your last five years work, hard luck".

I pay for my pension, its my money invested and paid back to me. I dont get any more back than the value of my investment. TDs pensions are not the same. And Ministerial pensions are something else

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

We need good people to be TD's not saying that is working but it has to be well rewarded, comparing it to public sector pay isn't air.

A TD can lose their seat in any election, the government can fall causing a snap election. So 1/80 per a year wouldn't attract many people. Also if you work in the civil service you have a job for life and chances are you can go down to the pub or out for meal with your family and relax. A TD alway has to be on their guard and best behavior, they will regularly get approached by people when out. Look at the Finish PM - she got burned for partying.

The problem is it could probably be paid better. If you work in private sector and run for Dail and win you have to give up your job. If you work in the public sector and become a TD you can take a 5 year leave of absence, which you can keep rolling over, then if you lose your job you get your old one or equivalent back. That's why so many TD's were teachers. We need to encourage more people from private sector to become TDs, doing so is a risk to them so we should pay them well and give them help when they lose their seat.

Of all the problems this country has paying retired politicians isn't a big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭batman75

According to the Irish Examiner we paid out 20m between lump sums, pensions and other benefits to retired politicians in 2017. If that figure is constant for the past 5 years that 100m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Can any of those other jobs get voted out at the whim of the electorate? No?

20 years is an astonishing amount of time in Public Service - four elections.

There are many things we could improve with our governance but i'm not convinced reducing pay is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mirafiori

I don't think there have ever been four successive Dail terms that went to the full five years. You would need to have been elected at least five times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,015 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fairly sure 92-11 may be the longest four term stretch and the 92-97 bit is still many months short of five years. Further back you could have five elections in ten!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Don't forget Ivan Yeats. Ran off to Wales and declared bankruptcy leaving hundreds of employees and suppliers seriously out of pocket. After a year he came back debt clear and 100k a year in his back pocket from his ministerial pension which was never touched to help the people he shafted.

We took in 50,620 million in 2017 so that 0.04% give or take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Hard to know how long more Public Sector Defined Benefit pensions generally can be continued, practically all private sector workers are on DC pension arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Paying politicians well also disincentives corruption.

What percentage is that spend in the overall government spend over 5 years?

Time for heads on pikes.

other public servants are subject to different performance measures and qualifications

• Registered Users Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

We are their employers. We have a right to want their pension payments reduced if we are of that opinion. They are very happy to jump on nurses, teachers etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There is no general entitlement to leave of absence to become a TD. Civil servants cant be politically active in any way. Teachers and public servants can apply for leave of absence, approval is done case by case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Pay politicians poorly and you are basically ensuring that you either get candidates who are:

1) so rich that the poor pay doesn't bother them

2) enticed by the opportunities for corruption and how they can use that to enrich themselves so that the poor pay doesn't matter

3) so incompetent that they'd never manage to get a well-paid job anyway so aren't missing out on much

4) a combination of the above

Paying politicians well doesn't guarantee you avoid 1-4 above - but it opens the possibility of getting capable people interesting in politics as a career also.

The old saying goes "pay peanuts, get monkeys" - the extension of that is that paying peanuts plus a healthy pile of cash will also get monkeys applying, but should hopefully get a few decent candidates too

Teachers can get 5 years, most semi-state jobs have on bar on been politically active (my father was) and I know at least one civil servant, low to mind level that was an active member of a political party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

what kind of tax rate do they pay on those pensions?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,015 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Clerical officers are allowed be active politically and run for council elections / sit as a councillor. They even get specific unpaid leave allowances if elected. So if they were at that level it's all OK

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

phuck really as well it doesnt seem to be working , there seems to be scandal after scandal with that lot. Anyone who gets elected should have a pension based on 10 points they are going start, abolish or change with regards to the country as their manifesto. If they get elected and get 2 points out of 10 then they should get 20% of the overall pension and no more. I have never seen a job so obnoxiously riddled with goodies and cash and very little accountability they walk into the game promise the sun moon and stars, fill their pockets and then ride off into the sunset with a massive pension and hand the reigns over to the next mouthpiece cowboy promising more..

There is huge issues with the costs for our public sector - who are all looking for 10% pay rise btw. At a time when all he rest of us mere mortals head into the oncoming recession with huge hikes in energy bills and a certainty that the environment for the private sector company to continue to survive being eroded as they will not be able to afford the energy bills and pay rises to keep up with inflation and keep a decent profit , add in the fact that getting a loan will be a hell of lot more expensive as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

same as anyone. Is it not treated as income on the way out?

How much of their pay do public servants have to pay into their pensions?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,114 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That depends on their personal tax allowances etc. the same as any other tax payer.

As for the OP, who ever said democracy is cheap ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

The issue is we dont get democracy we get a bunch of people who are elected locally and expected to push those who got them there aside for the good of the country but that does not happen.

The way we do things cant work too much parish pump and too many spoofs and no accountability. No one in the last number of decades has got what they voted in or the best of a really bad brutal bunch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Teachers requests are assessed case by case by the Board of Management. Civil servants can’t be politically active.

”5.2 (a) Civil servants are not permitted to seek a nomination or to stand for election to either House of the Oireachtas or to the European Parliament. This

restriction applies to all categories of staff. Civil servants above clerical level cannot stand for local election.”

Advertisement