Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Not trying to get a reaction I know full well what will happen. One side is lying we know which. The government says It's temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bluespecs

Has anyone here who signed up with Redcross to have Ukrainians stay in their home been allocated their guests yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Cool story. Of course, as you say it's complete fiction so I'm not sure what your point is.

The IT poll a few weeks back showed that the majority of people had concerns over the free for all approach adopted by Government on this issue. I dare say that a repeat poll would show even stronger support for limits on those arriving and a review of what they're getting.

As for your last paragraph - please! Ireland and its people have been more than hospitable as it is, to the point where our own people and EU citizens are being treated as second class as the new arrivals are getting supports and prioritisation that none of those other groups get, to say nothing of the negative impact that the huge numbers arriving is having on the provision of essential services.

We've done enough. More than enough at this point.

I don't remember getting vote as a nation. Do you mean TD agreed to it ?🤑 I would imagine landlords are not voting against it.

There is an argument that we elect politicians and parties based on their policies and intents through manifestos.

However, that doesn't really cover the political landscape we find ourselves in nowadays - where the outcome of the last 2 general elections was decided by closed negotiations and deals resulting in Confidence and Supply and now outright Coalition agreements.

I don't recall those options being on the ballot papers, nor do I recall the part where they committed to accepting an unlimited amount of people into our country, will full financial and other supports offered, in the event of a conflict happening somewhere outside of the EU and our commitments to that political group.

This is a real problem. What is the point of even going through the appearance of elections if the parties will decide themselves what the next Government and its subsequent programme will be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119518715#Comment_119518715 There was an error displaying this embed.

what if they don't choose to send them there but they have been refused in their locality?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Sher thats grand then. Lets go back to how we did things in the past

Children cleaning under moving looms sounds a great Idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jyat

There are more Ukrainians in parts of Clare and Donegal now per population. It’s like being in a foreign country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

You wont get one. As no one will be counting this kind of stuff for a very good reason. Closest you may get is the CSO mentioning non nationals in a county. But unable to pull breakdown from that data set.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

You'd be more convincing on "we've done enough (now)" if you hadn't been on the thread from p1. Had your mind made up in March/April. People will have concerns, but some of the stuff posted is ugly. Think the poster's last paragraph was not about criticising the "Irish people" or nation, just some accounts on here, which often parrot various Russian talking points, when not giving anecdotes. I think they will survive it tbh.

I don't know about "nowadays". We've had such post election manifesto horsetrading or "deals" (the worst of it always involving independents rather than parties) and messy coalitions for as long as I've been voting, it is not a new thing any more. I believe it is normal with our proportional voting system, the grip on power FF and to a lesser extent FG had for so long was an oddity.

Ukraine may be outside the EU and because we are on the Western edge its a very long way from us here, but it is on the EUs border. It is a country that has been developing relations with the EU, and may have been on a track to join in a future with no invasion (of course this is the whole problem from Putin's pov). The use of the EU directive is therefore not a shock in context of this war imo.

What govt. would do if/when Putin morphed into his "final form" as a fascist tyrant + started his biggest war yet did not really figure in any manifestos....these things don't tend to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Some of the towns are mentioned in the papers with the original populations and the Ukrainian population. The articles were in a 'look at the generous welcoming Irish' kind of format, but not so many of them now. You may have to search using individual town names and Ukrainians.

I know one is Lisdoonvarna as I saw it again last night, it had 800 population and 900+ Ukrainians are living there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Yeah we probably won't, because facts aren't good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

BREAKING: Minister for Justice and TikTok sensation, Helen McEntee, is in simultaneous talks with Irish Ferries and Ashford Castle with a view to relieving the pressure on the UK regarding the plight of refugees fleeing war ravaged Albania

It is being proposed that the W.B. Yeats will be commandeered by FG and every rich American will be turfed out of Ashford Castle

"It's just something I have to do" said Ms McEntee, "and besides, both Sorcha and Setanta from Foxrock, have thanked my twitter feed" she added

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jyat

I presume it’s a internet link you want. Pack your bags and visit Clare. That’s your source.

Yeah reason you were asked was because there will be no online data. And dismiss those on the ground. With simultaneous how do you know where they are from. To Classes for english. It's all very odd. I wager NGO's will know exactly but we are unable to see that data. Just like when hotels were being built in ballybackandbeyond left idle no business and then someone buys it and magically gets a Gov contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Unless you have a crystal ball, your certainty they will never join is misplaced. If they survive this war, the fact of it occuring has made it more likely they will join the EU. That is all irrelevant to my point about their relationship with the EU and their proximity. The poster was trying to paint events since Feb. as some irrelevent war in a faraway land, Neville Chamberlain style, that has zip to do with the EU (and so use of directive was a surprise decision).

You're absolutely right that I had concerns from the start. Why would I need to apologise for that? As someone who follows politics and current affairs generally, I was already thinking of how this move would impact on already serious issues in health, housing and others in the aftermath of Covid and the economic and societal damage caused there.

Having watched the likes of Leo, McEntee and Micheal Martin I was already concerned that we'd have 2 of them grandstanding for their "betters" in Europe, and the third dithering and being led by the nose, much as he was by Holohan, not to mention that he had already achieved his only goal (not to be the only FF leader not to be Taoiseach) and unlikely to run again as a TD thus aware it'll be FG/Leo's problem anyway.

As it turns out I was right to be concerned, wasn't I? Not even 6 months later and look where we are!

I certainly didn't vote for unlimited immigration and virtue signalling, no more than I voted for critical Government policy to be dictated by a bunch of Green fantasists that only 7% of those who actually turned out voted for, and who represent even less of the electorate now. Our fragmented Dail and the polarisation we've imported on issues such as this one have led us to a situation where the 3 parties we have in Government now aren't really representing anyone, and further alienating the electorate - hence the fall in support for the traditional parties and the rise of SF as the protest vote/alternative (not that they will be any better, indeed likely the opposite!)

CeCe12 has already covered Ukraine's suitability (or lack thereof) for EU membership so I'll only add to that that it IS the EU I suppose - an organisation that will rewrite, bend or ignore its own rules depending on what suits Germany and France. We saw it during the Financial Crisis, during the migration crisis under Merkel, and now with the response to this regional conflict. This repeated argument that "we signed up to it" is nonsense. Groups of politicians may have agreed it, but much of what is decided is never put to the general electorate - and this is why national Governments are now imposing limits and restrictions on numbers arriving and what they receive as the reality sets in and domestic populations (rightly) demand changes.

We are not Germany, or France. We are a small island nation on the edge of Europe with a population less than that of most major cities. We have no real industry beyond the agriculture sector and are too dependent on the multinational sector and FDI to balance the books and support the population. Add to that the long standing problems in the areas I referred to at the start, coupled with a mix of apathy, incompetence, and self-interest from TD's to solving them (eg: the Robert Troy farce), and the reality (unpalatable as it may be to some) is that we simply cannot help everyone who lands at the door with a sad story.

It's also why I laugh at the notion of a United Ireland, with everything THAT would come with - we can barely look after ourselves, let alone everyone/anyone else, and this is being proven as the Ukrainian situation here worsens by the week. Yet people like yourself would say we should do more, accept more - but I don't hear any ideas on HOW this can realistically be done given where we are, beyond essentially vague "be grand" notions.

Well I'm afraid it won't be. We face a very difficult few months as it is with the economic impacts of this ongoing conflict between Russia and Ukraine, on top of the critical issues I've already mentioned. Adding still more new arrivals to the mix will only stretch the systems and supports to the point of collapse - assuming we're not there already in some instances.

So yes, we've done enough. Our "leaders" have bitten off more than we can chew here and it's not just the Irish and EU citizens who will suffer for it, but the Ukrainians here as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Epic doom mongering.

On more positive news.

Following a once in a generation pandemic and WAR in Europe that is pretty impressive.

Keep looking at the sky though. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Anybody who thinks filling every hotel room in the country with refugees is sensible has a screw loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭enricoh

Epic doom mongering! Who needs tourism, we have a corporation tax bonanza to pay for all this- n that's gonna last forever! It's a bit like house prices in 2006 - the only way is up. Iirc we are the third most indebted country in the developed world but that's a minor detail!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.itic.ie/about-us/&ved=2ahUKEwj10pqSn-T5AhVrTEEAHYl1BtQQFnoECBQQBQ&usg=AOvVaw2sC-x061o3RvdxvhMn8mE0

Tourism is Ireland's largest indigenous industry, with a value of over €10 billion, is Ireland's biggest regional employer, employing one in nine, and generates Exchequer receipts in excess of €2 billion (source: CSO 2019).

https://www.itic.ie › about-us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Cover yer eyes and ears lads we dont have a problem.

Shurrr we are a rich country.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/property/man-renting-room-dublin-couldnt-24848134?int_source=nba

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

No, Pauly - the narrative you're supposed to promote is that Ukrainians don't spend any money! (How do you tell the nationality of someone in a supermarket, btw? Is it national costumes, or something? Cos in my local Dunnes and Lidl, most people don't really chat at all...)

Did you learn much specifically Irish history in school? No idea what the syllabus is like now, but when I did it, it covered mostly European history, the renaissance, the reformation, age of exploration, formation of modern countries, WW1 and II in addition to Irish history. And of course it's not a mandatory subject any more.

But I imagine the English, maths, geography, world history, PE, another European language, science subject, etc., would stand to you wherever you end up, no?

Still awaiting vetting clearance, then we've to have the home visit. Seems to be taking an age.

Here's the online data. That's being hidden from you, and doesn't exist. 🙄

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/fp/p-aui/arrivalsfromukraineinirelandseries4/

Lisdoonvarna is in the Enistymon area - 7.53% of the population compared to the 2016 census. So no, not more than the local population, as is being claimed on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

That is from July, and probably before many were relocated too. CSO website doing a f**king terrible job attempting to keep up to date with this crap.

This is from early August.

And it's not the only place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

its realistic

we can’t all go around with our heads in the sand and espousing a “ sure be grand “ attitude… because it isn’t and it won’t be.

no value in what’s happening..we are being completely compromised… in terms of our wellbeing, success and safety.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement