Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

At the end of the day ... i got into solar knowing it was a multi year investment. My "system" is well on track to give me an early payback - even if prices DONT rise any higher. I happen to have built a system with a smallish battery and im very happy with my outcome.

But would i recommend to a friend or inlaw TODAY to buy a system with a battery? i really dont know - and im thankful i dont have to make that call for myself. I would love to hear a success story on someone that BOUGHT (not diy'd) a system with NO Battery and is it working out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Yes, there's an argument to move to say Bordgais then and adopt your strategy, but if I'm honest......I never could be arsed with all the supplier hopping. It's just not me.

And that's fair enough. A relatively high percentage of people dont switch. It baffles me to be honest as its a simple process. A few clicks on a website once a year and you are switched. You have to do some research I guess in terms of finding the right one to switch to but I dont see it as any different to finding the best rate for insurance or buying a new car etc... shop around and take what suits you best.

But I get ya, its not for everyone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Id agree on the switching, Most of the effort is figuring out who to switch to.

That being said, this is the 3rd year of being with energia, as they have worked out the cheapest for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I actually have all this data since I got the install, so it was easy enough to knock out the real data for me. I should however state that I'm an "unusual" user with respect to consumption, so I wouldn't take what I have as normal.

So for me, with my telemetry, I come out about €200-220 ahead using a battery verses FIT (above chart is for 10 months).

I wouldn't say I'm justifying a battery purchase or not, only sharing the math. I purchased the battery before the FIT was here and the grant taken away. The landscape was different back then. With the same info, I'd have made the same choice.

Battery was €2800 (you won't get that price today as it was grant money etc - LOL!!) ..... so 10-12 years to payback that battery - but again, I'm an unusual case, so it's definitely a questionable purchase for most people.

My maths was only covering the two scenarios discussed. Just showing the reality of how a battery stacks up against FiT and pointing out that most people forget the capital costs when making those calculations, which is a fatal flaw in my eyes.

And the other scenario was charging at night.... its not as simple as it sounds. I was just pointing out the gotchas (losses and degradation). Its a fair point to make.

Also - you have used very conservative values for Day rates... mine are already trending higher than that - and prices will certainly NOT stay at that level for 10 years!

Those are the actual rates available today.

You can sign up for higher rates, but why would you!

I dont have a crystal ball into the future so I dont know what they will be in 10 years time so its somewhat moot. Your replacement batteries and inverters might also be alot more expensive... who knows. I'm only showing the figures for here and now and they dont show a compelling argument for batteries.

I am curious tho - have you solar installed WITHOUT batteries? Have you it running for a year? Could you share your real world data in that case? ie how much did u generate / what did you consume / self-use rate etc. Also if ANYONE else has done similar... i like data rather than theory.

There is a whole thread on the forum dedicated to that with people showing their stats(daily/monthly/yearly). Its relatively easy to get ballpark figures for generation based on your array size and roof orientation.

How much a household personally consumes, self-use etc isn't relevant to my post above as that's very specific to each person. For example, one person might self-consume 90% because they have an EV at home and a water diverter. Someone else might have neither of those and is away at work all day and only self-consume 30% and hence they are waiting on FiT.

The variation across households for those figures is massive and very specific to you and your house and your lifestyle. The figures I gave above are still valid regardless as they are using real € figures (self-consumption isn't relevant to my post). If your battery is charged multiple times during the day my figures are still relatively accurate as that would also mean you have more FiT money come in.... swings and roundabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'm sorry but you going to such effort and expense to install a battery system and then not shopping around to the best provider each year is literally insanity.

Your provider could change their rates tomorrow to make your argued use case null and void so being on a specific tariff is largely irrelevant unless it particularly suits your specific usage, not your financial approach.

None of us expected the fit rates to be as strong as they were but at the time (with much cheaper unit rates), people were suggesting about 10c fit rate would render battery economics borderline. Now we're +80% on that, admittedly with significant uplift on unit rates also.

With the FIT, anyone who bought a small / not oversized array, with no battery and wasn't ripped off, is likely doing very well for themselves. I don't understand the people spending 10k/12k to save 90% on their electricity bills when 4k might have saved them 65%. It's diminishing returns.

There are a few extreme cases for battery systems still, e.g. deemed export due to no smart meter but a large battery or being stuck on a particular tarrif with low night rate and high fit but these are peculiarities rather than the norm.

Your battery was 2800 but without it you wouldn't need a hybrid inverter, saving probably at least 750e from your instal, which you ought to factor into your payback also.

So what are we saying? I should sell my battery? Im going to guess based on quotes around here from others, its probably worth as much as i paid for it last year. Will I be garunteed to save more money using FIT wihtout it? Im still not buyng this logic. I havent received ANY FIT payment yet - i have used my battery tho.

WHen i bought my battery - i recall there was lots of arguments on wether or not batteries made sense. No one knew then for sure what would happen - the FIT promise had been a long time coming. I made the call to invest in one - was it the right call? only time will tell. I certainly am a beliver that batteries are at or close to PEAK COST now - so buying them now may not be a good idea.

I was lucky - i did get a battery when there was a grant - and prices have gone up since i bought. Next year - If i DO get the FIT payment - I might reevaluate... but for now my battery will stay in my system.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,313 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@KCross - good post. The FIT figures are far higher than any of us expected and I agree with you (and you've shown the sums) that it doesn't make much sense for most people to have a battery (that they paid a lot for)

Now, a bit of a counter argument. Let's go with your saving of just €0.39 per day based on a 5kWh battery. I've a 20kWh DIY battery and so do several of the regulars in this forum. So the savings from loading with night rate is €0.39 * 4 = €1.56 per day. I load up at least 200 days of the year, so that's a saving of well over €300 per year.

My battery system was a DIY install and my battery inverter is worth hundreds more than I paid for it. So a free system. I just paid €2300 for the new battery (and sold my old one for hundreds more than it cost me a few years ago). I will be able to easily sell this one next year for at least what I paid for it

So that €300 is a pure saving for me per year. Based on peak shifting to night time electricity alone. And of course at night most of the electricity is from wind, so it is much better for the environment too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

My two cents....with the new FIT rates being "a lot" more than people expected this whole battery investment is a lot more complicated now. I think the landscape is shifting towards Vehicle to Grid V2G where your EV will act as your house battery, grid load balancing etc.

You can already see SEAI only giving grants to EV chargers that have this ability to push load demand based on the grid demand. I have a 6.1kWp PV system and just got an EV about 4 weeks ago. I have a Zappi also and while it was great there in August in the middle of the heat wave I filled the EV no probs but the few weeks before that it was nothing.

Would I invest in a PV battery now when I got a 77kWh battery sitting in my driveway...I shouldn't have to...just a bit of smart tech I should be able to use the EV battery to the max. As @KCross said and I never thought of it before the Grid is the perfect battery...if used correctly!

I am a believer in the smart GRID! we need to take advantage of it and hopefully we are getting there.

I have applied for a smart meter and my plan is; Move to an EV charging tarriff, I am with EI so 2 hours at around 9 cent, then let the PV do its thing during the day. Don't worry if I export as the FIT is more that the EV rate. Makes it a lot easier to manage as well.

Sorry for the rant sitting on my deck in France on holidays drinking cheap but good wine🤓

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

"Insanity" (LOL) - that's a strong viewpoint.... but one your certainly entitled to. No, my take is that over time they all tend to balance out. I looked around when I joined SSE, and it was the cheapest at the time. Moving and going through the same rigmarole to save €100 or €200 quid a year isn't for me. I remember the last time I moved they fecked up the MRPN number , and for months I was getting bills where I'd paid off the balance due from my old provider. Sure, it's an unusual case, but at the time where I was tortured by having to phone ESB being put on hold, having to explain <again> to some support staff the problem, being put onto a manager. etc etc.....ach I'm sure you can imagine. It went on for weeks. Sort of put me off that lark as you can imagine.

Anyway, the battery is there for many. You've already paid for it.....might as well use it. If you haven't paid for one, do your math and see if it's right for you. With FIT being as good as it is.....it's not a given a battery is right. I do however think the math isn't as simple in favour of FIT though as with smart meters and those "peak hour" rates (which look fairly nasty) a small battery might be the way to go to avoid those 2-3 hrs a day if only.

So what are we saying? I should sell my battery?

Not at all. Make the most of it. Changing back to a standard inverter and messing with your wiring etc isn’t a good idea.

Im still not buyng this logic. I havent received ANY FIT payment yet - i have used my battery tho.

If you qualify for FiT it’s legally backdated to Feb 2022 so unless you have a smart meter you are already clocking up FiT.

I certainly won’t argue the point on your DIY install. I have no reference or figures for that so I’ll assume you’re correct.

DIY install is niche though and really only for enthusiasts. It’s not really where the market is at, but well done all the same if it’s saving you that but don’t confuse others into thinking they can achieve that with the “one stop” solutions that are out there. They won’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

I am actually quite shocked at how high the feed in tariff is for BordGais.

I bought my system a year an a half ago and got a 5.4kwh system with NO battery but with an eddie diverter for 6.5k euro after the grant.

This year i have exported approx 1.3MWH which should give me about 240 euro back. I was kicking myself before for not getting the battery when the grant was around back then but now with this Feed in tarrif not so much.

Its actually better for me now to charge the car at night on my ev rate of 7c and export everything during the day

Course we're forgetting that Pascal will want a cut for anything over €200/year - so that does dint the FIT shine a little.

Don't get me wrong lads. As mentioned I bought my battery at a different time when we had the grant and no FIT, or were pessimistically thinking it was going to be €0.05 or there abouts - least that was what i thought it would be. I'm also in the enviable position currently that I've a D/N meter, and haven't refused a smart meter, so I'll be getting the "estimated export". Considering I self-consume virtually everything of what I generate, it's the best of both worlds.... while it lasts!

I definitely think that the landscape has changed. It was a no brainer to me 12 months ago to get a battery, now with the FIT for your average Joe I reckon it's questionable. Plenty of people like unkel and myself out there who can and have made the math work - but yeah, it's not the norm i think.

All great posts, even the ones I dont fully agree with! Great discussion here on where things are heading. If we need to change our advice on the FAQ let's do it!

I worry that the FIT here is the start of a bunch of rate rises coming this winter. GIVE THE PEOPLE HOPE... then smash them with triple rises. We will see.

I estimate with my small batttery I wI'll also get 250 back... and of course the use of the battery all year... I don't trust what I don't know. Will rates rise? Will taxes on fit go up too?

Good point. It could well be a couple of years of getting deemed FIT (while exporting near nothing) before we have smart meters. That's a substantial saving there. Having your cake and eating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭irishchris

The other thing noone seems to be taking into account is that while the fit rates are guaranteed for this year but will inevitably start dropping over the next few years similar to the generation tariff in the UK. I notice the wording of several providers is feed in rate guaranteed for 2022.

Would love to be wrong and really hope I am but can't see these high rates staying at their peak for many years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭DC999

Good debate here and people getting their points across and not digging each other. I don't have a battery but am torn. So this helps.

IMO time of use (TOU) on smart tariff will only go up and in time could hit the morning peak too, so will energy prices only rise. Battery flattens all that cost. And as Chris says, FIT is not a guarantee. So I'm gonna do the maths myself to load up a battery at a cheap EV rate for few hours from 2-5am type thing and run the bulk of the day from that and load shift the rest

If I did get a battery and to @KCross point I might never use in the summer so I don't deteriorate it. Could just use for non summer load shifting.

I'd agree DIY batteries are more for enthusiasts (and a rabbit hole I'd struggle to get out of personality wise) and they need fair bit of space. Maybe I could go there down the line. Never say never :)

Anyways, all good stuff to mull over

• Advertisement

@DC999 - no need to worry about deteriorating. LiFePO4 (as almost all batteries are made from, the likes of Tesla Power wall excepted) have many thousands of cycles. And that's the measure when capacity is still 80%. Cycle the bejaysus out of it, several times a day if you have to, no problem.

The CRU's view is that the market will decide. So, its all down to decent levels of competition and the global energy market.... so its impossible to predict.

If, for instance, the war ended this year and energy prices dropped back it would mean the day rates would also drop back and you can be sure the FiT rate would then also drop back too as FiT is very unlikely to be more than the day rate.... but that is a swings and roundabouts thing really as the FiT should go up and down with the market but lets see.

I would still reiterate.... whatever FiT you get its "free money" as you have no battery capital costs and no maintenance or replacement costs. My view would be to drop the battery from your quote and put that money towards a larger array. Each to their own, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

I'm still trying to get my head around the Dao of battery usage. can you explain why you'd want the battery to "never get filled from Solar"?

What about a scenario where the battery and the array power the house during the day, and for the evening, before night rate kicks in, the battery can power the house once sunlight is gone?

And in this scenario, since you'd just be using day rate electricity, then the battery is saving you money? Or am I missing something here?

It's very dependant on the rates your on. KCross gave a good post on it (#808) with examples. However, while it works for the BordGais example, it wouldn't work with the rates that I'm on with SSE - and it's a little dependant also on your consumption profile. Filling a battery and using that during the day will yield better than using that solar provided unit at night.

To answer your comment explicitly though.....

What about a scenario where the battery and the array power the house during the day, and for the evening, before night rate kicks in, the battery can power the house once sunlight is gone?

Sure - so you have a unit of energy coming from your solar panels. Using the bordgas rates of FIT = €0.19 you could export that unit and get €0.19 for it. So why not fill your battery up at night rate (€0.08 or something) so that it's full from night rate, and then export everything you can during the day. Then in your evening time, instead of using that unit which you got €0.19 cause you exported it, you use your battery that you paid €0.08 to fill.

Again, works in some scenarios but depends on the rates.

Thanks, I read the KCross post, and some other comments, and had missed the implication that you try to fill the battery with night rate, rather than from solar during the day. So now, I get it, thanks.

I suppose, as you say, it's going to be very tariff dependent. And a lot of the previous examples are assuming D/N tariffs and not Smart tariffs.

Taking the example of BGE... Just looking at their Smart Plan page, the "100% Green EV Smart Electricity" plan is as follows...

• Day units (8am to 11pm) 32.96 22.41 cent per kWh
    • Peak units (5pm to 7pm) 45.97 31.26 cent per kWh
    • Night units (11pm to 8am) 24.86 16.91 cent per kWh
    • EV units (2am to 5am) 8.40 5.71 cent per kWh

So I suppose here you just fill your boots between 2-5am?

@simpsimp - "So I suppose here you just fill your boots between 2-5am?"

Exactly. Those hours are a bit mean, but you can get about 20kWh into your EV every day, more than enough for most people to do their daily driving, it will give roughly 40k km per year for your EVs combined (if you have more than one). It's also more than enough to fill up your home storage battery if you have a typical 5kWh battery. For those of us with 20kWh batteries, it's nowhere near enough though.

Those are very green hours though, I wouldn't be surprised if the electricity generated in Ireland today during those hours is about 65-70% from wind on average

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Niceday20

Could be all those calcualtions/approach will need to be rethought through after the SSE Announcement just now!!!

SSE Airtricity has announced that it is to increase prices for its customers from 1 October, with electricity bills to rise by over 35%, and gas bills to increase by 39%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭paulbok

They'll come out with some guff like, "not practical/possible to change fit rate , can only be reviewed yearly" or some other crap.

Government missed the boat of setting the fit rate at say 90% of whatever your day rate is.

If it does get increased by the same %, gonna bring more export over the €200 limit and into taxable territory. Will the gov increase that limit as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭mrm

Its easy to pay high headline rates when it is to the 1% of population that have PV installed (I think I read that figure on here recently). Will most likely be a lowered rate as PV pick up increases throughout the population (supply and demand). Aligned with the certainty on increases in the smart rates (we will all eventually be on) over the coming years it is a difficult future prediction on what system one should install.

I have selected my 'costly' battery system to offer me some autonomy from the suppliers control on the unit costs (figures will eventually align to 'dealer always wins'). Does it stack up against your figures outlined in your post further above? Nope, your argument is compelling.....for today. I have invested in a lifetime system so, as last months decision (pre FIT announcements) on system selection doesn't stack up with this months, so this months decision wont stack up against next years. I wasn't planning anything else with the money invested so that same amount would be gravely impacted by inflation by the time the batteries lifecycle is reduced. It is a difficult situation to predict. Peak rates haven't even been considered. Sure, we dont even know yet if we are on Putins want list!

TLDr; not sure I would base my decision solely on todays available information. When I put in the system in I was focused on production figures. Now I know they're not the focus, it is all about consumption ability (FIT irons out the difference somewhat). Production/ consumption/ load transferring strategy will remain relatively constant for me while all of the peak/ day/ night/ FIT/ smart rates fluctuate over the duration of the system. I still contend that a good sized array and battery could beat the dealer eventually over system lifetime and on....possibly maybe? Maybe I paid high for peace of mind. I know the EV certainly has delivered that when passing the petrol stations recently.

Advertisement