Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I've seen a few properties come back on the market after they went Sale Agreed.

Turn key, new A-rated and B-rated properties tend to go for above asking though, and houses in the better suburbs the same. But not all houses are snapped up however.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Turn keys are attracting insane bids.

There's a lot of people over bidding where I'm looking, four properties in a week or so back from sale agreed, finance wasn't attainable.

The turn keys close by are driving up vendor expectations which leads to the silly bidding wars on the other less desirable houses.

That said, in line with what you're saying, some houses are sitting there with no bids on them at all.

Trying to rationalize the market is impossible, it's a free for all but the glimmer of hope I've seen is some price reductions on asking prices, although the logic being that bidding may well accelerate upwards, they are at least having to in some cases drop prices to attract bidders which is the beginning of this so called softening.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

They're probably scared shitless about the rising interest rates and are desperate to lock in low rates or they're afraid they won't get a mortgage at all if rates go up substantially.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Turn key houses are seen as less risk at present. If a house need refurbishment you have to factor in these costs. At present labour and materials are crazy even modest refurbishment could be costing 100k. Add to that the uncertainty of whether you will manage to get a builder/tradesman to quote and if that quite will hold while you wait for him to come. You also have to factor in that you may not be able to live in the house while or before it refurbished. Banks ate less willing to allow you extra borrowings for refurbishment.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It also seems to ignore that you can have 2 literally identical houses - one listed at 400k, the other at 450k and yet if they both sell for 500k people seem to only lose their minds about the one listed for 400...

Asking prices are borderline irrelevant, I noticed myself when searching that plenty of EAs would list a property a price bracket too low, I'm guessing so that it would appear in more daft/myhome searches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DFB-D

Makes a huge difference.

100k over a price which was presumably set on the average market value is madness.

I wonder how your perception will change if the market goes down rather than up? A 100k on 400k requires 25% increases in the average prices to be feasible. And even then, you have only broke even, with a mortgage you need a higher increase again.

Well, numbers on Daft.ie and Myhome.ie are trending up. As always if there is more supply, there is more choice for buyers which means they can be more discernable when it comes to bidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AySeeDoubleYeh

Obviously in actual terms there is no difference, but i find this highly disingenuous tbh.

Can you not understand why somebody with a 500k budget, for example, is jaded at seeing houses listed at 400-450k all, ultimately, go beyond their means? Is this really difficult for you to understand?

• Administrators Posts: 53,733 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It makes no difference.

The asking price is set to attract attention, nothing more. Very often it is set lower than what the vendor is even willing to sell for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Asking prices are not the best indication, as sometimes asking prices are deliberately set lower than expected to engineer a bidding war.

However when asking prices are too high and fail to sell, then its an indicator the expected demand at a price point may not exist. EAs would have a pretty good idea at what price a house will sell, so to list too high is rarely deliberate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭quokula

Sure, but this is a asking-price-too-low problem, not a sale-price-too-high problem which is the conclusion everyone seems to leap to.

It could well be set lower than the vendor is prepared to sell for.....but sure isn't the vendor basing his expectation on the average market price and good fortune stories the EA feeds to them and if they don't get the high offers they probably sell anyway?

Anyway, as others have said, this may come back to bite quite a few people...

All the same, my experience over the years is that the asking prices were their expectation

Really there was few properties where asking prices were exceeded, and yes there are two EAs in my area who deliberately price low.

But acid test - if you were a vendor and you got 10k under asking - would you accept?

If that is the highest offer and you need to get rid of the property = yes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You are reading far too much into asking prices. If I want to know how much my house would sell for I look at the PPR to set my expectations, asking prices on the likes of Daft are not an accurate indicator. This is also what the EA will set your expectations on, the actual prices they've sold houses for rather than what number they pick to list on their site.

Vendor says he wants to sell, EA comes to house and looks at it.

"You'll get about 500k for it, I've sold quite a few similar for that the past few weeks, so we'll stick it up with an asking of 450k to boost interest."

They really should stop calling it "Asking Price" and just say "Bids starting from x" instead.

There have been plenty of stories on this forum the past few years of people being the sole bidder, bidding under asking and vendors not accepting their offer. Usually this becomes a problem because the vendor will wait for more bids, whereas the buyer is usually not in a position to wait as long.

In reality though, bidding not reaching asking is the exception rather than the norm as asking is usually artificially low, and most houses have keen interest.

But I also look at the PPR..and generally I give EAs a hard time about prices, I think the majority will not put a lower than average price, unless there is work to be done etc. I think it is generally accepted that the asking price will be the average price.

But if the asking price is 100k below than recent sales, bid away.

If the selling price is 100k over average.....

I actually bid on 2 properties recently that didn't reach asking, they were priced too high even against recent sale, I withdrew my bids on one when a higher bid was invented (but still the vendor apartently preferred to sell to me if I matched the offer....nice of them when I don't know them...)

"You'll get about 500k for it, I've sold quite a few similar for that the past few weeks, so we'll stick it up with an asking of 450k to boost interest."

They really should stop calling it "Asking Price" and just say "Bids starting from x" instead.

Deliberately under-quoting asking prices to generate a bidding war is illegal in many jurisdictions by the way, for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Well, personally, I would never spend 50k on a brand new car for exactly this reason! But I see what you mean - why is housing the only purchase where we expect to be able to get back all the money we’ve spent?

I also understand your point that in the long term people are rarely worse off buying (though people buying now are not on trackers) but in the short term a severe drop after you buy can cause a lot of difficulty. Remember all the stories about families stuck in tiny apartments due to being in negative equity after the crash? Or people who needed to move for work but couldn’t sell and so ended up paying a mortgage and rent (rental income wouldn’t cover mortgage and mortgage wasn’t even tax deductible at that time)? Sure, most of them came out in in the end but there were some very stressful years in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

I often hear those concepts, house for life, our forever home, it really is a ridiclous term. Anything can happen and with the best will in the world, things happen neccessitating a move. Job losses, job relocation, moving to be near ill parents, to be closer to a hospital, a better school. I was the same once, had the 'forever home' for 20 years until emigration beckoned. I just smile when I hear the term and if there is a God up above he's smiling too......while we are making plans.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

They get caught up in the bidding frenzy, lose the run of themselves and then find they cant secure the finances or extra borrowings resulting in the house been returned to the market.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

20 years is a good chunk of your life all the same, not bad going.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's not set at market value though, it's set to attract interest. I got a new build, A rated, turn-key house in Dublin city centre. It was listed at 500, there is no was it was gonna go for that and nobody would think that, it went for 600. The guy I was bidding against was just bidding with cash to rent it out. It was a similar story in other places I looked at, they were all set below what everything was selling for, far below - just to get tons of viewings and people emotionally interested.

I don’t think anyone means it absolutely literally. Everyone knows that at some point, often later in life, things happen. But it means a place to invest in. In which you can build a life, have stability though life phases, have made it exactly how you want it and settle in to that environment for years, bring up kids etc. I would class 20 years as falling very comfortably into that category

And how many bidders were active above 500k, just the two?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

It's not quite as interesting as the headline sounds - mostly about what's going on in the Chinese property market, with useful level of detail, but then when it comes to relating it to the Irish market in 2022, just says 'prices here are very high', with not such an obvious argument that 'and therefore we'll have a crash on the scale of China'.

Separately, I see a recent forecast that prices in the UK could contract 7% over two years. Ouch if the same thing happens here, but still worth me buying given what I'd spend on rent in 2 years... (Plus 2 years from now = higher interest rates, I'll be two years older and I work in the travel sector so getting a mortgage could be even more challening.) I'm still aiming to buy now, though feeling increasingly nervous about it all. Definitely glad I'm looking at buying now not 6 months ago when things were really nuts, though.

There were 5 that made it to 540k or so then two. There were still people coming to view but they cancelled them after a point to leave it to us. I even found out a colleague in my work wanted to throw a bid in without vieiwing it haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭onrail

I see a local auctioneer reporting a 20% increase in stock year on year in Wexford. Maybe a sign of a slowdown in more rural areas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Everything will fall, it is just a question of by how much

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement