Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yes, I had thought that coming from n8s and wanting to go n25e that one would have to cross two lanes. Only going the one is fine. Still think there'll be an issue when people inevitably go from the right hand lane from tunnel to there (despite the logic of a lane each being signposted differently), trying to cross 2 lanes, but not as severe as had thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

It will be the same as at Bloomfield before the slip down to Rochestown. I’ve never seen an accident there. All it takes is some courtesy between drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Yes. The same pattern has also been used for over fifteen years at N40 West/N27/Togher, and I’ve never heard of any incidents there.

The only differences between N40 Togher and this are that this one will have longer stretches for merge/diverge, and will operate under a lower speed-limit.

The latest official progress video flies right over this part of the interchage. Dunkettle Interchange Upgrade - Weekly Newsletter 12/08/2022 - YouTube

Link E is the slip from M8 to N25 West, Link A is the two lanes of traffic coming from the tunnel. Maybe it looks tight because there are no line markings, but look at the cars parked on the site to get a sense of the size: there will be three wide lanes of traffic here.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gooseman12

Another issue that i can see is potential queuing for the roundabout in the yellow area below. I was always under the impression that the movement from M8s to N8w would have priority. This was the line used when arguing against a freeflow option for this movement, well they will have priority so it should be fine.

But if for example a large number of people use this junction for a little island to n25e movement, this takes the priority away. If enough people do it, and a queue forms, then does the merge start becoming a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yes.

The Little Island West to N25 East is one potential "problem" movement, but the Little Island West to Glanmire movement is another.

Or the example I had was: this is the sustainable transport (pedestrian and cycle) route. The current design has them dashing across the road to perform the North to South movement here. If someone gets knocked down then there will be queuing as you describe, and the tunnel will quickly back up also. I suspect what will happen is that the majority of resultant traffic will move on to Little Island East junction, but not without significant slowdowns/tailbacks.

This is definitely the most clunky piece of the overall design. But I don't think there were straightforward alternatives. At least none that I saw. I'd definitely prefer to see a proper pedestrian/cycle bridge materialise in the future though and at least get rid of one potential problem.

Edit: the potential future pedestrian/cycle improvements are a new East-West route over the Glashaboy river leading South of the tunnel, and a new North-South bridge over the railway and N25 from Little Island train station into Eastgate.

• Advertisement

at the moment, it only takes about 4 cars queueing on the roundabout to make the M8 South to N8 West movement before it blocks the M8 South to Tunnel movement for the right most lane. It rarely if ever happens.

I just don’t see this movement causing any issues especially given it is the most lightly trafficked of the 12 movements.

Does the latest email not make any sense? It alludes to westbound resurfacing yet the map and detour show eastbound resurfacing.

This one? Makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The picture in the email is different to what you have there, the wording alludes to your picture. Picture is below.

Any guesses as to when the m8s link will open? Must be in next 2/3 weeks

Edited to include picture

Post edited by Mushy on

As Mushy noted, they attached an incorrect picture into the email.

• Advertisement

That's interesting - my pic came from the newsletter on the website. However at least you've got a sneak peak of how they're going to open the new eastbound lanes.

The picture they attached (which Mushy also showed) is an old one and shows the diversion for last weeks eastbound resurfacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

They've announced the full closure on the N25W for the weekend has been pared back to just nights.

I'm not surprised, weekend or not that would have been biblical.

Todays video shows the ST02 structure with beams placed which is the off ramp from the Dumbbell onto the N25 travelling west. Looks like they are trying to get the dumbbell open ASAP which makes sense.

Meanwhile, a new surface is now down on the eastbound lanes of N25. Can’t say if this is particularly new or not, except that it has happened since Monday morning. Traffic for N25 East from the main roundabout now seems to be routed onto the newly-constructed lanes of Links A and E and the new Little Island exit (i.e., you now drive on the left, with a construction barrier to your right with the "old" road lanes behind that barrier). As promised in the news updates, it is indeed a low-noise surface, and a pleasant change to the normal very coarse surfacing material we use here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I hate the way they've done that new merge this week actually on the tunnel to N25E.

Lane 1 and Lane 2 finish up in the current Little Island sliproad and Lane 1 of the N25 as it stands. This is annoying, because if you're pottering along at 60kmh which technically you should be, everyone now piles out from behind you the instant they can - so you can't get out from the Little Island sliproad into Lane 1.

Lane 1 and Lane 2 should merge into Lane 1 and Lane 2 of the N25, and anyone wanting to use the current Little Island sliproad should have to bear to the left to head off.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

Best solution would be the blur not to be merging with red and forced to use the dumbbell to join N25E

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mother Trucker

I could see that causing tailbacks too, to be honest.

It's a shame the whole junction wasn't built properly in the first place.

Speed van on the flyover section above the roundabout. Parked doing motorists travelling eastwards.

a question for all. Are those 35kph signs enforceable? Assume only the 60kph limit is enforceable? The 35kph signs are advisory only?

That would result in M8 South to N25 East to not be freeflow. Wouldn’t be a good solution I think.

• Advertisement

I thought all posted speed signs were enforceable. But will they be enforced? I struggle to imagine anything less than 50 being enforced anywhere if I'm honest.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

60km/h signs are enforceable. 35km/h ones are advisory

My understanding is that the only legal speed limits in Ireland end in 0s.

All those limits ending in 5s are only advisory. I really don’t understand the point of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Maybe we might wait and see what exactly happens before passing judgement?

Interesting: every day's a school day!

I agree: if it's not enforceable, it's pointless. Possibly even dangerous.

The only legally-enforceable speed-limits are 20, 30, 50, 60, 80, 100 and 120 km/h. A sign reading "70 km/h" is just as unenforceable as one saying "63 km/h". The 20 km/h limit is special, and only used in special shared-spaces where cars and pedestrians use the same surface without kerbing or other measures to separate them, but the others can be applied to any suitable road.

Cautionary speed signs are, as their name suggests, not intended to be enforced, but they are not pointless: they warn drivers that the road ahead has a hazard that is serious enough that they should reduce speed before meeting it, but which will not last long enough to justify a change of speed-limit. For example, here, outside Limerick where the “mainline” of M20 North becomes a loop that will merge into M7 East.

The alternative would be to post 50 km/h limit here, then a 120 km/h one once the junction joins M7, but the very short distance (500 m) between this sign and the start of the straight sliproad onto M7 could cause more trouble than it avoids.

Of course, we love consistency in this country, so here's M20 J3 Raheen showing the alternative approach. In fairness, this loop is much more elongated than that at M20/M7, and the road that it joins will be under a 80 km/h limit, so maybe that's the reason for setting a new speed-limit here.

I don't fully get it: would you not need to post the "new speed" immediately afterwards anyway?

Where does the 35kmh "caution" end? Wherever you feel like it?

The whole point of using a cautionary plate is so that you don’t have to post a new speed limit. The cautionary speed and the hazard on the sign have the same scope: the first photo in my post above means “Tight loop ahead, advise reducing speed to 45 km/h". The cautionary speed therefore ends after whatever hazard it was applied to.

I never knew this! Perhaps I should re-sit my driving test!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

The City Council have advertised a road closure for Tuesday

**N8/M8 Northbound Slip**: Road closure in place from 2100-0500hrs from the N8 off-ramp/M8 on-ramp to its junction with M8 to facilitate installation of permanent signage as part of the Dunkettle Interchange Upgrade Scheme. Diversion will be in place. (Sisk)

Advertisement