Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,740 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea that's what I mean.

Truss is a dope, and it's inevitable that her dopiness is going to shine through now and again.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

England is also a more Balkanized community as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I thought one of the twitter responses to Truss's faux pas would be macron saying 'Qui?' but his actual response is much better swipe at her.

She is going to have to eat quite a bit of crow, not to mention humble pie, in front of him to live it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I liked one of the response to thst tweet was that Truss is a politician while Macron is a stateman. Hopefully Truss changes when she becomes PM but i doubt it, she just seems to want to be a crowd-pleaser. Boris seems to have at least some relevant experience to get the job, while Truss hasnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Oh wait til they hear he's a Brexiteer! He's banished now. Irish name is useless now.

Truss, Raab, Sunak, Rayner, Corbyn, Dorris. Westminster really has a generation of crap politicians at the moment.

• Administrators Posts: 53,740 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I see what you're trying to do here, but there is no equivocation to be made between the Tories you list and Corbyn and Rayner.

Corbyn's problem wasn't himself, it was his policies, and I reckon Rayner is good at what she does.

Sunak is an opportunist and a pure Tory boy, but he does seem to have something about him. Dorries, Raab, Truss, Johnson etc would be nowhere near ministries in the governments of the past.

You dont include Boris on your list? Losing leadership when he won a whopping majority due to his stupid actions?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,499 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

My take on Truss's comments is that she intends to be a divisive leader. The correct thing to do would be talking about healing and bringing the nation together and forging friendly relationships with allies etc, but instead she's going down the route of confrontation and bombastic rhetoric.

It's pretty woeful that a French President is having to respond to very provocative comments from a Tory leadership hopeful even before she gets the job.

• Advertisement

Corbyn wasn't popular and wasn't good enough to be a leader. He was your typical backbench moaner that opposes everything with no real intelligence or charisma. Our Paul Murphy. Grand for soundbites but no way we would want him as Taoiseach.

I disagree about Rayner but she's young and could evolve into a competent performer. I haven't seen evidence of this yet. She spends every interview talking about being working class.

What this contest has shown, is just how bad Sunak is. I think people expected more from him but he failed to deliver and the Tories are going with a remainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

I have a general interest in Ireland but not particularly interested in things like energy price caps and I'm mystified as to why you would think that hilarious ?Isn't it common sense to think if gas supplies from Russia are being restricted as a result of the war in Ukraine, the remaining gas supplies will be expensive for all,not just one country.

Oh yes. I never rated Johnson. An average politician. And not clever enough to stay in power. Gone after 3 years. He is an idiot.

It does seem like the UK will have 3 short ish term prime ministers in a row, provided Labour don't balls it up at the next election. I wouldn't put it past them to do exactly that.

He probably realised if it all kicks off in Europe over Ukraine, Britain will be one of the first over the top.I bet British passports won't need stamping then...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭Shelga

Malevolent dullard is a perfect description of Truss. She is completely devoid of any genuine convictions, charisma, warmth, integrity or vision for the country. She seems incapable of thinking beyond September 5th.

I don’t think the UK has felt this hopeless ever before in my lifetime, even from 2016-2020, when the Brexit culture wars peaked. It’s like they’ve passed the argumentative stage and have just gone into full despair. Energy bills predicted to rise to an average of £6600 in the spring, and Truss’s response is that she’s not going to “bung people money”. Just a horrible, spineless, weak woman. Couldn’t think of a worse leader for the country right now.

Hmm actually… maybe Suella Braverman or Priti Patel. They’re all just absolutely awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,499 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

One of the writers in the Guardian made the point yesterday that Truss is neither the choice of the British public nor of Conservative MPs. She was trailing in most of the MP ballots and even in the final one only received just over 100 votes (which mostly sounds like the ERG crowd).

This surely makes her position very precarious even before she gets the job. There's not much evidence that people actually like her, apart from the ageing xenophobes who make up the party membership.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's drivel to draw equivalence between Truss and Angela Rayner; the latter obviously has a degree of integrity and sense of her own self. Truss is, as you say, a malevolent dullard (presuming suffering from Dunning-Kruger) and perhaps if she didn't play this stupid Thatcher Cosplay, might have escaped to presumed mediocrity. Instead, invoking Maggie only highlights Truss' obvious deficiencies. Multiplies them.

God help me for saying it, but the country's crying out for a Margaret Thatcher. I'm going to go and drink some bleach to wash my mouth out for saying that. At least she had agency, and a sense of what she wanted to achieve. Not power for its own sake, delivering diplomatic F You's to one of the UK's oldest, long-suffering friends. Just to appease a minority bunch of xenophobes trapped in a version of Britain circa 1945.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Speaking of Thatcher: happened to go back and watch the video shared by ancapaill ... and one of Ian Dunt's follow-ups said the below. Enlightening.

The "'twas always thus" Office Bores need to consider if perhaps, they are merely inured to the present extremities, falsey presuming previous generations were no less a bunch of inept, antagonistic fools.

Mind you. In 2022, with the state the TOries are in now, Ridley would be applauded and spoken of with infatuation on GB News.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

You claimed our problems were as bad as theirs if not worse while then admitting to having no clue about a key policy that affects those problems so yes I find the fact you are so sure your correct but seem not know much about the topic hilarious and to be honest typical of the bad faith style of posters who frequent these threads. You continue to try argue your correct while being unable to provide any evidence to support it. Im done with your bad faith posting have fun arguing with the void.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Same here. It really feels hopeless here now. My job is here but I'm planning on returning to Ireland ideally before I turn 40. I don't want to waste the rest of my life listening to Brexit when it was done years ago now. I've a backup plan involving Limerick which seems more a when than an if now.

They'll only move past this once they lose an election but they're even undermining the few basic democratic principles of this country.

Exactly. Most of them want Johnson back FFS. Sunak has also firmly nailed his colours to the xenophobic, white nationalist mast for all that it avails him. The only candidate who seemed vaguely electable was Tom Tugendhat.

Thatcher had brains, ability and an ideology. Today's Conservative party resembles a zombie - braindead but the organs that win elections are still in fine shape. Now, they're dedicated solely to denuding the state, establishing one party rule and dishing out honors to favourites. Their sheer lack of talent is helping to thwart them in this regard but of course, they outsource their election-winning machinery to the likes of Lynton Crosby.

The paucity of talent isn't just a Tory problem. The only thing I could remember Keir Starmer ever having said pre-energy price cap was something about interest rates on savings, possibly the least useful policy ever conceived of during a cost of living crisis. I doubt most people are even aware that Ed Davey exists and I've no idea who leads the Greens now.

There's no vision for this country beyond keeping out refugees and cruelty towards the least well of. I moved here during austerity so at least it's consistent I suppose.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 25,706 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I know you don't like his vision but of all the post Brexit leaders Corbyn is the only leader who actually had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Or perhaps he's simply not a cretin playing to the lowest common denominator.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Disagree. He didn't have a vision so much as a raft of free goodies that the public weren't interested in.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

To be honest the Tories do have one long teem policy to slash regulations. May be good in short term for business but in long term could damage employees and consumers. Truss will probably reverse course on the energy crisis once she gets elected showing not for the first time that the Tories are willing to copy Labours more popular policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Yep, popular or not he put forward actual ideas, opinion polls suggest the public liked the Labour party manifesto ideas, including nationalisation.

Sunak and Truss are currently just saying whatever they think that day's audience wants to hear, and Starmer isn't saying anything and just looking out of place in every photo-op he tries.

The Lib Dems are ticking over, picking up local council by-election seats, their bread and butter and will probably do quite well at the next election.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think the LibDems will pick up blue seats, and Labour will pick up red wall seats.

Now, a sensible Labour leader would enter into a pact with the LibDems, and possible the SNP to make sure they have the best chance in each constituency against the Tories. The best pact would be done on a constituency by constituency basis.

Many Tories will never vote Labour, while many will happily vote LibDem as a protest vote. If enough such constituencies unseat the Tory, and it will not take a lot, then the Tories will lose. In return, the LibDems should not put candidates in likely Labour wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

While that is what needs to be done to push the Tories to tiny seat levels, there's next to zero chance of it happening. Stupid competition in 2019 handed the Tories lots of mid 30% seats and it'll happen again.

The SNP have virtually nothing to gain from it though. They can win all bar a few seats anyway, there's only six Tories to begin with. If they agreed to split those seats only it could work but I'd see the lib Dems looking for clear runs at other Highland constitutencies and labour for urban ones in return - seats that are already SNP.

Those six have tiny majorities mostly and usually the only other party with a chance without a deal is the SNP anyway. Douglas Ross has a majority of 500 for instance

There are one or two seats where the greens should be given free runs also, but there's little they can offer in return

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Can anyone explain why there is such an energy price crisis in the UK that doesn't seem to exist here to the same extent?

It's so bad there, energy companies themselves have gone bust.

You'd think Ireland would be even more precarious, since we're also in a falling currancy, don't have much fuel sources and don't even have fuel storage. The UK has its own gas fields and LNG storage.

• Advertisement

Well, Labour should offer constitutional reform, with a fairer voting system that will reflect voters intent. Pointing to the regional assemblies as an example, but the final decision will be confirmed after consulting the electorate.

SNP Greens and LibDems would all go along with that.

If it caught the popular imagination, the populist Tories would be all over it like a rash - job done.

Advertisement