Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mountbatten - paedophile?

Options
  • 25-08-2022 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭

A previous thread on this issue in the History and Heritage forum was closed by Manach as apparently it had become non-historic.

But it appears that the issue is still live, as Andrew Lownie, a still living author (obviously) has published a book making accusations against Mountbatten, whereas two brothers from Mullaghmore (also still alive, obviously) have been quoted in the media ridiculing the accusations.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/sex-abuse-claims-about-lord-mountbatten-are-unfounded-say-mullaghmore-brothers-41933062.html

I find this intervention by the Barry brothers rather curious. They recall visiting and working in the property as kids or young adults and state that only his grandkids were in the house, but of course that does not prove that he was not a child abuser, as there are many proven cases of child abusers leaving their own kids and grandkids alone but abusing kids outside of their family. Additionally, it could be argued that one of the brothers has a vested interest, as he subsequently went to work for Mountbatten in England. I also do not put much credit on Mr Barry's assertion that if something untoward was going on, the guards would have done something about it, as it is well known and testified to that some of the guards during that era were very corrupt and/or unduly deferential to authority and in several known cases, facilitated child abuse, by, for example, bringing kids who escaped from 'care' homes where they were being abused back to their abusers.

Additionally, we know not everyone under 18 in Mountbatten's circle were grandkids or in any way related, given that two of the people assassinated on his boat in 1973 were children unrelated to the Mountbatten family. So we can at the very least state as a fact that Mountbatten had associations with children other than his grandkids, contrary to the recollection of the Barry brothers.

Btw, I should state that I place no credence whatever upon claims by IRA supporters that the assassination of Mountbatten was motivated by some kind of rightful justice on behalf of kids that he allegedly abused.

If the IRA cared so much about children, they obviously would have taken precautions not to have killed the two kids who were on the same boat as he when they assassinated him.

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement