Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Is there any technical downsides to installing 2 x 2.4 batteries instead of 1 x 5.1? One supplier im onto says they are having supply issues and that's all they can give me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Totally makes sense.

If I was you, I'd go and buy the double socket, the back box and some decent cable. Then a half decent sparks will just do it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

My advice is call and pester them. As much as my usual preference is text or email, they're just so busy that you're better off calling til you get someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Depending on your chosen inverter and if its local to the inverter its very cheap, offer to buy them lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CoisTra

Hi I hope it’s ok to ask a question here. If not my apologies. Im wondering if my quote seems in line with what others here are getting?

• supply and Install 5.5KW Roof mounted solar PV System
    • 14x Longi 395 panels
    • 1 x Solis 5 KW Hybdrid Battery Inverter
    • 1 x 3.6KWH Battery
    • 1 x Eddi Solar power Diverter
    • €12,500 before grant. it’s on a south facing roof.
    • thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 nigra

Hi All,

I was also looking to bounce a couple of quotes off you guys. I live in munster with plenty of roof space. 1 x EV, no charger installed at present. High electricity usage, more than 7000KwH/yr. I have quotes from 2 companies, both recommended by word of mouth.

1. 5.7 Kw system: 14 x 410 watt jinko panels, Sofar 5Kw hybrid inverter, Zappi,Eddi, Fire safety switch??, Dyness 4.8 Kw battery= €16,700 (€13,700 post grant)
    2. 5.3 Kw system: 13 x 410 watt jinko panels, Sofar string inverter 5Kw, Eddi, Zappi = €13,200 (€10,230 post grant)
    3. 5.9 Kw system: 16 x 370 watt REC panel, Huawei inverter 6.0Kw, 5 KWh Huawei battery, Eddi, Zappi = €14,350 post grant

I realise that these are on the high side. But are they exorbitant? Everyone is telling me that demand for solar is very high right now.

Would appreciate any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

It's clear that the following rough guide PV pricing formula is now not fit for purpose

€1.2k per 1kWp in panels + €1K per 2kWh in battery + €550 (diverter/Eddi) = Rough price to pay.

I've priced around and even from outside of the country....hint hint and although they were significantly lower than ROI suppliers....they are still significantly higher than the formula above. I don't know any supplier that will install for the above price.

Prices nowadays are following this roughly this formula

€1.5k per 1kWp in panels + €1.2K per 2kWh in battery + €550 (diverter/Eddi) + €300 BER= Rough price to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Not sure I'd 100% agree with that. It always depends a little on the size of system being ordered. it's virtually impossible to match the formula for small sized systems.....and indeed there was a poster within the last 2-3 weeks on this thread who was close to the formula, so if it's wrong, it's not wrong by much. Maybe €1.3k per 1Kwp, but I don't think €1.5K per 1Kwp is a fair reflection of the market.

Look at message #3025

There are good quotes out there, but the formula was never intended to be the "correct value" to pay for all system. The reason being is that for smaller systems you have these fixed costs which are the same for bigger systems. E.g you have to pay for getting two guys out and possibly scaffolding erected so they can put panels on your roof. It's basically the same cost labour wise to put 8 panels up as 18 panels. So it's kind of an economies of scale for larger systems and hence why it's easier to match it for larger ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Any idea how long its taking the SaaS company to contact you back after leaving them contact details?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭con747

I chased them via email and telephone from last July 2021 until November with no joy so gave up and went with a bigger system elsewhere. I found them very bad at communication in general.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Markbro1

Slightly off topic but has anyone here combined a wind turbine with their solar setup? Or is there another thread that deals with this? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

So got a few quotes, but these 3 are from the most reputable companies I think. Anybody got any thoughts? (the price is after grant)

It's obviously between Company A and C for me.

It is unclear exactly how many panels will fit on the roof because we have a converted attic, so might be a bit of tetris required on the rear facing side of our A-Frame room. From that perspective, I was thinking that the smaller rated panels might be better because I'm guessing that they are physically smaller so hence more scope to fit an extra 1 or 2 in on the day. Is that mad?

I'll be going back to the two companies to get their thoughts too, but also interested in the feeling on the quotes on here. I tend to agree with previous poster, they all seem to be consistently dearer than the estimate formula of 1.2k per Kw etc.

Post edited by crisco10 on

Someone on the Facebook PV group just posted a quote for a 5.92kWp system with 5kWh battery & Eddi, almost bang on the guidelines formula.

Formula estimate was €10,205 and the quoted price was €10,350.

Its still possible if you keep digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

From that perspective, I was thinking that the smaller rated panels might be better because I'm guessing that they are physically smaller so hence more scope to fit an extra 1 or 2 in on the day. Is that mad?

Typically that's true. It's not that a larger producing panel is more efficient, but rather it produces more power because it's physically larger. It's also worth noting that the "all black" panels (which I think look nicer than the more traditional "white backed" panels) usually knock out 10-20 watts less than the white backed panels. This is due to the white backed panels reflecting more heat so they are cooler.

Tell the lads to bring along 2 or 3 extra panels and to fit them if they can. Cheapest way to install panels is a part of the original install. This is what most people do.

Yeah, maybe the formula need adjusting to €1.3/1Kwp. Still if you asked those 3x companies for a 7.5Kwp system with 10Kwhr battery, I bet it would come in fairly close on target.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yeah, I saw that. and one of those companies listed in my quotes is the same as that quote on FB. The systems are remarkably similar, they're just getting an extra 4 panels (i.e. 33% more) which give economies of scale I suppose.

Was talking to the same company and would be hopeful as @bullit_dodger describes that we would hopefully squeeze a couple of 370W panels extra up on the day which would help the overall cost/kW a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Lola_86

Please could someone send me the name of the Enniskillen supplier of the solar panels or any other companies they recommend? Location sligo. Thanks in advance!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

On what basis would you adjust a formula - on the basis of the prices being quoted ??? The driver of pricing is at source - the wholesalers.

Increment guidance upwards and you simply accept that overpricing is OK, then give it two months and we'll be at €1.4k per 1kWp

My hope is always to starve those who overcharge of business.

You have to remember that a company gets paid the GROSS Amount. So even SaaS get paid almost €6k for 8 panels and a string inverter, for a days work. Care to price that with a wholesaler - at their -20% off retail prices ???

• Registered Users Posts: 40 saccaromyces

If I may ask here, is it much more expensive to do ground mount?

Hi all, Had guys out to fit panels, they said it would be a waste to put on roof because of shadows and having to split them, and the west side would give very little in winter.

They sugested a ground mount and couldn,t understand when I got survey this wasn,t suggested. I went back to co, who where not very happy with me changing now. now there quoting 21k before grant for, 18x 400wp panels

Ground mount system, sofar 6kw inverter, 2x 2.4kwh batteries. Seems expensive, thanks in advance.

My guess is that it's more time consuming. These guys are max 2 days on a job. Whack rails onto a roof - done.

If they charge €3k per day for labour (of course they won't tell you this but it's possibly what they are charging), then labour is now €6k vs €15k

• Advertisement

How much were they quoting for the roof mount option?

The roof mount was 9600 after grant. That was 8 panels.

With me going all in for 18 panels on ground mount, I need a bigger inverter, there is more wiring involved because of legislation for ground mount and some electrical box. Plus wires need to be buried. Its 18800 after grant. I have asked if they can do a better price, he hasn't come back yet

For a roof mount of that size/spec I'd aim for a price around €12k net of grant.

I can't see how a ground mount justifies a €7k bump.

I agree, but roof not suitable, as alrady have panels up 15 years and still going strong and they are in prime location. It becomes a mix and match for new panels, and because of dormer windows creating shadow, not advised. They will do it but suggested it would be a waste of money. Hense the ground mount. But ye its way more pricey.

I spoke to another engineer who said its way more expensive to do ground mount and wasn,t surprised at price. So have to decide if I want it or not. Thanks drphilG

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

When I was looking for quotes on our pitch roof only - and suggested using the flat roof as well as the pitch roof - I found that the quote only increased by the extra number of panels, i.e. going from 10 panels (pitch roof) to 15 panels (pitch + flat) only increased the quote by 5x€200 (ish) - and thereby made the cost per Kw much more keen. So it's definitely true - smaller arrays will have trouble matching any formula.

Regarding Kw per panel - each panel has a range of values - for example, we have JA Solar 390Kw panels - but the range on the panel model is 380-405Kw - my understanding is that this is to do with the attributes of the batch of silicon - most tend toward the mean, but some can be higher or lower depending on the raw materials. (This is my understanding, but fact check me as required!!!)

But TBH, those values are under ideal laboratory conditions, so in the real world, panel output will be a little lower, and will likely soften out the minor differences in stated Kw.

And as also mentioned above, white backed panels will tend to be higher rated than black backed panels.

(also, I would advise going for black backed panels; they're a lot neater looking, and you don't lose much capacity)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Hey, looking at options....when you say "as already have panels up 15 years and still going strong and they are in prime location" do you mean you have old 15 year old smaller output panels that on the roof now, so it means the good roof for solar can't be used? Might be misreading you.

If that's the best position then take them down, whack the new ones up to get better output. Then you can always move the old ones to a roof somewhere else. Or put them in a shed and DIY them yourself at a future point. The installer will likely also quote to move the old ones for you. Or help your mates use them to get started on solar. Or, or....

My installer said he'd move our panels if we ever moved house. So some installers will happily move old kit to put new kit up (they will charge of course).

What output are the old panels and what sort of kwhs do they generate per month? Then folks here can advise if it's worth paying to rehome them or if squeezing in a few new panels will give the same output. I've no idea of the output of older systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

think about return on investment ROI, can't see how 19000 will ever pay for itself what with out-of-warranty repairs, etc, unless your thinking inter-generational! ..even with all the latest rate gouging

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭rothai

Got a quote for 20panels for 20k, take away the grant and if I signed up there and the i would get 15% off too. but I had to sign up there and then. I said no as i hadn't done any research but I thought it seemed a bit mad that I had to sign up there and then and he couldnt email me out the quote! He says this company has 16years experience. But this seem crazy?

There for hot water only, working perfectly, everyone said leave alone. I thought they woild have taken them down and replace, but 3 quotes later and everyone said dont waste them. Put a seperate unit for electricity

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Something My father and grandfather taught me, If they are making you make a decision there and then, Its not a good deal. Walk away.

Its not a one off thing, Its a service.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement