Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grave verbal threats by superiors ?

Options
  • 26-08-2022 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering regarding grave verbal threats made by superiors in an annual assessment.

"I'll make sure, that you will never ever find work in this industry again...."

(This threat was made in a difference of opinion to a business challenge, I could never solve, however this also affected my manager's performance. HR in this case didn't care much.... )

Just wondering, how can one manager, I am reporting to make such a threat? Is this threat completely baseless or does he really have the capability to see to it that I never work in the industry again? I'd suggest the first?

I mean, how could they, it'll only affect the company I'd be working for, not the whole industry? Or am I mistaken?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Did he really say that in writing? Did HR really ignore that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭tinytobe

It was verbally said, naturally not in writing. HR ignored, as they can't really override the manager, - not in the industry I was working in. If push comes to shove, HR believes the manager, not the employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Maybe don't use them as a reference on your CV in the next job

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

Is your boss so influential that he can reach every firm in your industry? If not, no problem.

I doubt that one very much. However it would have been a good question to ask when he made these threats...... something like "And you think you're so influential in the industry?" - but that would have made him even more mad at me.

• Advertisement

Yes, sounded like big man syndrome. Good luck with finding the next job

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Even the Garda don't want to get involved in a he said/she said argument never mind HR.

If you are down that level with your lead, then it's time to move on because you are not going to win this one.

This character was a sales manager in an American multinational IT company. Also he liked to be seen as a "big man".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I think leaving the company is probably the best bet, but I would be inclined to write to HR before leaving in respect to what he said and that you would be following up if he decides to act on his threat.

Put down the marker - a sensible HR executive would be him as a risk to the company (PR and legal) even if you are right that HR typically back managers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Even in Ireland which is tiny, I have almost never crossed paths with people from a previous job after I left it. So it's BS.

If you were in rarefied field where you would meet people, like film or media you'd have to pretty famous or well known to have industry wide influence. This manager obviously isn't.

You don't need to be in films or the media to be well know within your industry or profession. If you employ professional people, most likely they will be involved if various social activities of their local society - dinners, open days, golf outings, charity events etc... many will have been to college together etc.... the same and even more so if you consider people in the trades or other apprenticeships, where most will have been in courses locally together, meet up at trade shows etc.... people talk and it would be a mistake to assume you can control the story.

But it would take a pretty determined and vindictive person with plenty of time on their hands to actually set about destroying someone's career because they'd have to track and keep up to date with the persons career to do it. And thankfully there are very few of those around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

The hse is the worst for this in administration anyway, bullies are promoted and are then used on interview boards to promote their friends, one gender more than the other aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Not nearly as bad as the shoulder chip industry. You wouldn’t want to get on the wrong side of those lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I’m not sure how realistic it is to destroy your career, but depending on character type and determination he can certainly make things difficult for you.

If someone had caused serious damage to my reputation and performance I would certainly make sure to make their work life difficult as a result. Good luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

My guess he's a bully with a lot of shortcomings himself.

Bullies get found out eventually.

An anonymous tip to his senior bosses would be the way to go.

I didn't mean people to use films media literally. It's was just a simple well known example.

Getting recommended through word of mouth is entirely different and works on a small scale. Getting black balled requires massive scale and scope. Be almost impossible in any industry of size, unless you work in very rarified circles. Which is unlikely for the vast majority of people. It's not simply knowing someone but be involved in recruitment or be in a position to influence it.

Classic hobknead. Good luck with the job search. He'll be a funny memory before you know it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭deirdremf

There are books written about narcissists/sociopaths/psychopaths in the workplace. Find one and read it. But the bottom line is that they will be believed and you won't.

Find yourself a different job, this loser has obviously got you in his sights, and the only solution is to extract yourself from the situation. Don't complain about him until you have found yourself another job, complain all you like when you're out.

One question I'd ask is - if he was a manager with a big US company, why did he leave? Did they not want him anymore?

And reading between the lines, I'd ask another question - were you asked to do something illegal or unethical?

Thanks for that. I've already left the organization.

The problem is, that even though this manager is gone, he flagged me as a "do not rehire" former employee.

And since the company is interesting, and the manager is gone, it prompted me to re-apply, However I am sadly not considered, no matter what I try.

HR is not approachable for this situation as well.

• Advertisement

He left out of his own volition to be self employed. He also left Ireland. And yes, you're correct, he was believed, I wasn't. Thus any conversation with HR was fruitless.

I think it's not that common to be able to go back to a company you've left. Even if there were no history, a a certain amount of baggage would be assumed.

Onwards and upwards

The problem is that hiring and HR are very shallow minded in this industry. If the box "do not rehire" or "not eligible for rehire" is ticked, there is no chance. Also there seems to be no time limit to this as well. This is especially sad, as the company is very interesting.

It's more of a stick to stop people leaving.

Advertisement