Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

If he is then I would agree with Fliball on this one, his Lecturer certainly doesn't deserve a pay rise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭Taxes

Yes, in that case you would obviously be Eddie Hobbs in disguise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Wow. The Govt were able to find 350 quid a week for people who weren't working during Covid to the tune of billions added to our debt. We can find billions for Ukranian refugees coming into the country. But we can't offer public servants who are always hit hardest by a recession a bit of a well deserved pay increase. Public Servants who contribute greatly to the running of the country and tax take.

Nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭fliball123

Hit hardest are you having a phucking laugh, you were cushioned through the last one, not one forced redundancy. You only need to look at the dole figures back then to see how many people got made redundant in the private sector and its going to be happening again

Well they should have got cushy jobs in the public sector since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,284 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Once again I will be pointing these kinds of messages back to you boyos, you will get pay rises but if you think the money flow that pays the bills as in the private sector can afford what is about to be laid on them and pay pay rises to keep up with inflation you in for a surprise. They dont have the ECB magic money tree that can lend 100s of billions for debts.. But keep on beings smug as the smile I reckon will be wiped from your face in about 12/18 months time.

Do you think that Nurses, Guards, Teachers, Civil Servants, Doctors, Paramedics etc pay no tax?

We might have our pay cut in the event of an unlikely recession but at least we will have jobs. A lot of Private Sector workers gouge when things are good and then moan when things are bad and have little work or have to lower prices. The same people that whinged about the Public Sector during the last recession who couldn't find work will be the same people again during another recession.

Well I for one won't take it lying down this time if they try and saddle public servants with the debt and bill this time. We will cripple the country this time.

The fact is the private sector is what drives the economy and that is going to be devasted. Everyone thinking now about how bad it will be and how expensive it is to keep going during the winter, needs to look at the private sector they have the same bills to pay and even getting a loan to try and get them through the winter could well be 3 times more expensive come December than it is now but you guys keep on going nothing to see there - up coming recession - sure what recession. As I say I will point back to some of the responses from those who think they are so brilliant with regards to the economy in this little open county of ours as to how blinkered and small minded they were with regards to where the country is going.

How long will a private sector company be able to pay these increases for energy and keep up with expectations on wages and make a profit, it simply does not add up I am afraid and this is just the start of what we are in for this winter.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0826/1318977-sse-airtricity-price-rise/

Post edited by fliball123 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Someone who treats complaining about the public sector as a full-time job accusing others of being over the top is really something.

• Advertisement

Once again no argument from you good man keep up will you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Bang on.

All ended up on the dole paid for by the taxes of the hard working public sector workers.

You're welcome.

good man well go on and tell me what will our country do when Unemployment spikes up and and overall amount spent on welfare goes up even more and of course tax revenues will also be down due to people being a tax taker (dole) instead of a tax contributor, I very much doubt we will be able to continue borrowing on the never never like the last decade to pay the bills. We are the third most indebted country per capita in the world and the we get the gold medal when it comes to Europe. So what are our options, we are already one of the most progressive nations when it comes to income tax and as the water charges revolt proved the appetite for new taxations just wont be allowed. The interest rates going up further and further will mean even less to spend on an annual basis. The cushion that feathered the public sector through the last recession is going to be losing a lot of feathers real soon.

We know what the country will do.

They'll do what it does during every recession and blame the public sector.

They're all overpaid

They all have cushy numbers.

They all do f**k all

Shower of begrudgers who can't just go on a website and apply like the rest of us did seen as we all have it so good.

Ah will ye come out of it. We have borrowed billions to cover the countries spend and the public sector bill is a very significant portion of our spend that we have had to borrow for and its only when an outside independent auditor (the IMF) told the government of the day we will not get any more borrowing unless we cut the Public service bill as it was out of control it was only then it was cut. Remember politicians are in the Public sector and Turkeys do not vote for Xmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭Taxes

Fliball is like one of those doomsday conspiracy theorists only slightly more annoying.

He doesn’t know his arse from his elbow as evidenced by his comments on taxation.

Once again lets see what happens. All is pointing to a recession with higher inflation about to kick in. Private sector companies have not got the ECB to borrow from for the next few years or even the price to pay for borrowing from the banks is going to be getting higher and higher. I find it strange that the moaning for people wanting anywhere from 10 to 30% pay rises for the public sector because inflation is going through the roof think that it only applies to them and that all private sector companies are milking the profits left right and center. As I say give it to January after a winter of even higher energy costs, higher inflation, higher interest rates and employees expectations of higher wages and lets see how many private sector companies can weather that storm. I have put up links to all of the above and no one has challenged what is coming with any kind of proof, just come back with stupidly thought out retorts like the one I am replying to.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

There is plenty of reasons why we arent destined for a recession. Employment is at an all time high. Heap of crap in here https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/2022/07/08/were-missing-the-usual-signs-of-recession/ to suggest we are not. So you continue to point to signs but it doesnt make you correct.

"Average weekly earnings in Ireland rose 2.3 percent year-on-year to EUR 880.37 in the first quarter of 2022, picking up from a 2 percent advance in the previous period. Earnings rose by 4.1 percent in the private sector, more than offsetting a 1.7 percent decline in the public sector"

Once again what will happen to employment when private sector companies have to pay for higher energy bills, higher inflation, higher wages and higher interest on loans. You can lead the horse to water but you cant make them drink. Already insolvencies up 8% in Q1 2022 and that was when the government Covid supports were still supporting private sector companies. Sure no point arguing with a self serving group, proof will be upon us in the next year or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭08122019

Is boards in it’s current state so desperate for traffic that it’ll allow such obvious attempts once people are reacting to it?

Would almost make you miss the overbearing moderation boards is renowned for…almost.

The moderators can think objectively for themselves unlike some in here , proof is there if people want to take their head out of the sand long enough to see as I keep pointing out it wont take long to see who was right.

Theyve been doing that currently while making record breaking profits. You look a fool at the moment and you will look n even bigger fool in a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

There really is no point responding to him - grabbing headlines and not knowing what he is talking about

Less insolvencies this year than there was 3 years ago pro rata - it's all looking good

At the moment things have not turned. Well we will see Rog we will see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,284 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭salonfire

'ard man. Of course, when it comes to the crunch you'll sh1t the pants and take whatever is thrown to you.

Don't believe me? Look what happened when the IMF were in town and compulsery job cuts was a real possibility. Pay cuts, additional contributions, additional hours, additional pay cuts for new hires, additional work load due to ban on recruitment and not a whimper. Knowing that you'd be too useless to get a job anywhere else, you rolled over and taken it all. You'd no idea what was coming but you still lay there unmoved ready for more.

Didn't exactly set the world on fire did you, despite all the tough talk we heard at the time.

Luckily for you, the private sector was able to adept and thrive again, thus pulling the country out of the mire and allowed those things be thrown back to you piecemeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

This thread has become a shithole commandeered by a few posters, no point following

And what are you going to do when we get our improved pay offer despite your ramblings on here.

Nothing.

I'll raise a glass for you (champagne of course).

It's only fair seen as you're paying for it.

Thanks so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭salonfire

How am I paying for it? We've enjoyed reduced vat rate now for a few years. We're going to see substantial income tax reductions.

It is multinational corporation tax that will be paying for it. That is what is swelling the tax receipts based on the success of these companies. The companies that are hugely profitable, profits to which my bonuses are tied to.

Advertisement