Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Gooser14

SSE Airtricity just announced Gas & Electricity price hikes effective from October.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,731 ✭✭✭✭zell12

eh, SSE just announced a 35% increase in electric and 39% increase in gas. You're still in cooling-off period, go to Flogas 1 year contract!

Though odds are they'll all rush in increases now before Govt puts a price cap in place

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The rest will follow similarly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just heard it on the RTE news, was expecting a price hike but for it to be more like 15% maybe 20%. But a 35% price hike is an absolute shocker. Five days into a 12 month contract and that happens, I didnt even get the chance to read the Welcome pack email lol

Will wait for Energia to ring me next week hopefully and if the 37% discount they offered another poster is being offered I will stay with them. The problem is now Airtricity have hit the market with a 35% increase it gives the green light for others to do similar. At least the Govt. will be announcing a further 200 euro credit in the budget in a couple of weeks but that aside things are insane right now. And Im one of the lucky ones as I upgraded windows, doors, got a air to air heat pump, etc a few years ago and my house is warm and I only use less than 3,000 units per year. Some of my neighbours are in freezing cold houses with 25 year old leaky windows and are going to get crucified with bills this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

My day rate has gone from 22c to 30c.

Night from 11c to 15c and standing charge from 86c to 1.21 over 2 hikew with EI in the last 3 months

Prices before a 30% discount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭dinneenp

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Second year of engergia coming to an end next month was going to switch to Airtricity as they had were cheapest dual fuel offer for gas and electricity, don't think I'll be going near them now. I doubt Energia will offer me discount prices for a third year

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭breeno

It's pure coincidence that the providers who are about to increase their rates always have the cheapest rates in the build up to hook in as many new customers before the increase.

I know it's business at the end of the day but it's a scummy practice.

Yep, bonkers gave me SSE as the best value switch from Electric Ireland last weekend, looking now I'm paying an extra €14.51 over 12 months instead of saving hundreds by switching.

Should I cancel the switch or just accept everyone is going to put their rates up and when things settle down my 33% discount with SSE will be reasonable value?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Contract is up in the next few weeks and there's not a single provider/plan out there that is cheaper than my current deal. First time ever I can't find a cheaper deal when switching. 😒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,731 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Find that difficult to believe. Tick No to 'only show tariffs available' and Yes to 'including cashback' at bottom of comparison page. Also try www.switcher.ie and www.powertoswitch.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I thought SSE was from 100% renewable sources??

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭breeno

Government should introduce a temporary statutory instrument allowing customers to be free of penalty clauses for moving providers when the rate increases during a contract. There's a national crisis on the way and big action is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ClmAlfie

SSE Airtricity putting up their prices from the 1st Oct 😲

• Registered Users Posts: 48 the1eyedsnake

when you switch to a new company how long does it take before they send out someone to do a meter reading?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You submit your own reading as part of the changeover

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Of course they will. They want to keep your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Word to the wise. The Energia EV plan is still fixed unit rate, rather than fixed discount level. At least that was the case when I signed up for it two days ago. It’s the only plan I’ve seen like that.

Rates are currently 27 cent or so during the day (incl. VAT) and 7.9 cent at night. Both urban. I don’t imagine that this plan will stay fixed right, so you might want to enquire.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The energy firms don't do meter readings. The networks do. And they're on semi-fixed schedules, so usually every 4 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

If you think its bad here, look at Britain where rates are going to 52p (60c) from Oct 1st and already expected to hit 80p from Jan 1st.

I think everyone will need to learn how to minimise use and schools could / should provide tips to children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyducklings1

Here’s an example of what happened a pensioner, metre not read in over two years and bill shot up to over three thousand euros. The arrears were then charged at the current unit rate. Shocking. Can’t understand why they can’t come out and read the metre, especially when we pay so much.

https://www.thejournal.ie/pensioner-electricity-bill-5750364-Apr2022/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Two years unread, and the mention of a card, would indicate the meter is indoors and the readers weren't let in. So they did come out to read it; and weren't let; and no alternate arrangements were made. This is not the networks fault, at all.

My meter has been read twice in the 10 years I've had this house. The meter in my holiday house was read once - by sheer chance - in three decades when my parents owned it (it now has a smart meter). I just submit readings myself.

Physical readings (for electricity) will mostly be a thing of the past quite soon due to smart meters. I don't know about gas - my gas meter is a remote read meter but I still get estimated bills so they obviously aren't doing remote reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Estimated bills can be avoided by submitting the reading yourself about 56 to 60 days after your last bill date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Interesting that they don't say the age of the pensioner!

I'd bet €1000 she's under 70 and a belligerent old cow.

Naughton is known for his cheap publicity stunts

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyducklings1

Yes you are probably right the person wouldn’t let them in or were away. It raised an interesting point though about the revised bill being priced at the current unit rate even though all the electricity had not obviously been used at that unit price.Another reason for people to submit meter readings at every turn.

I do think some people are not clued in about reading the meter though.It will be more important than ever this winter with the way prices are going. With my provider it’s about ten days before the bill is due that I need to submit the reading. They also have a facility where you can pay any amount online in advance so that when the bill when it arrives is at least partly paid.

I don’t have gas but am surprised that even with the smart meter the bills are estimated. Whatever way you look at it things are going to be tough this winter I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

How exactly does this 33% offer work with airtricity? So they can just put up their prices whenever they want , so your 33% year one offer means nothing ?

Im with bord gais and had just signed up to move (what’s the cooling off period?) to airtricity. So if I cancel and stay with bord gais and they move up their prices the seem as airtricity how am I any better off?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,563 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Officially that is now 5 (five) price rises from Airtricity since Jan 1, 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 23,493 ✭✭✭✭ted1

because they are not granted access. I had a tenant who moved out after 10 years, their final bill was about 10k as they had being ringing in meter readings of about 50kwh per month. So when it comes as real read the true usage came out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yes, you basically have to make a 12 month decision based on a snapshot in time. The provider can and will increase prices from the day after you join them, and you’re effectively stuck for 12 months.

Advertisement