Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

Hey..I'm just saying Biden et al provided no proof at all..For someone like that one would expect a big funeral..Not a peep though..And for the taliban to come out and say there was no body just adds to it like..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,259 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

So there's no 'evidence' in the released affidavit?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,370 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"For someone like that one would expect a big funeral"

Maybe there was. How do you know there was not?

And for the taliban to come out and say there was no body just adds to it like..

Ah yes. Those renowned pillars of truth... the *checks notes* taliban??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

“Officially in recession” according to whom? What official sources?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,259 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

So you think he wasn't killed? What evidence have you to support this?

Well, I don't remember seeing Bin Laden's body. If he's not dead, Al Qaeda would be perfectly capable of humiliating the US by making a video of him but it seems to be more a case of them struggling to find a body. On top of that, the reason the Taliban can't find a body is that the area was obliterated so identifying him is likely to be incredibly difficult.

You do realise your same logic is why there's conspiracies Hitler didn't die? It doesn't mean Hitler didn't die....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,370 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It must be something about Trump supporters believing that dead people aren't dead (see JFK junior coming back on the 4th July for example)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Do you have citation support for your “fluff”, prestige, and non-education expenditure claims for state and private USA universities? Your statement appears a broad sweeping generalization that’s (almost) all inclusive.

Although my experiences attending and working at more than one USA university are from an emic perspective, and consequently anecdotally limited, I do not identify with your generalization claims. Certainly there are always needs for continuous improvement, but a wholesale disparaging claim applied to hundreds of higher education institutions seems problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It is not all inclusive, I said the money should be there for state schools, as in they should fund them.

Similarly, my opinion is based on personal experience also. If you walk into a us campus for example or attend a ceremony, they clearly spend big on appearances, they are a business and there marketing relies on the notion of exclusivity and prestige, as well as the idea that the connection and networking opportunities available there, justify the price tag. We live in a age of free information on the internet. I don't need a field's medal recipient to teach me linear algebra 1 and 2. In terms of undergraduate education, a guy with a math degree in grad school making 20k a year can teach the basics just as well(probably better actually). It is only when you get to maybe post doctoral research that its good to have superstars with unlimited funding and a lot of those are imported. If the goal is to get students out who are highly competent, you dont need to spend big. And then you have the vanity projects, the sports teams, packing out 90k stadiums does not seem in any way related to academic achievement. The US schools have enormous revenue and huge expenditures but I would imagine, from personal experience, that most is not spent on lab equipment and the salaries of actual teaching professors and support staff.

From personal experience, for example, I attended tcd many moons ago for a masters in the math department. So now I work for a US fund based in NYC. I work with some american grads as well as multiple other nationalities. They don't have any extra knowledge, understanding or competence but they paid 4x for the equivalent education. Why pay? Well for the name of course and the networking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

God knows what the ejits are going to be like when Trump kicks the bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

My opinion is that the US higher-education industry is a weird capitalist venture. Enormous salaries and compensation are paid out to professors and administrators, with little or no balance versus the outcomes of that spending. Not a lot different from US corporations where reaching the C level is a lot like pulling the brass ring in the circus. And as you rightly point out, there are a lot of 'side' ventures like sports, which are good revenue producers for the school, for the NCAA, for the TV networks, for the coaching staffs where head US football coaches can make extraordinary amounts of money. But, is any degree worth $120,000 in debt, which won't be solved by this 'loan relief' that's just been decided? And is $120,000 of debt to the University of Whatever as good an investment as the same for a degree from Yale?

Don't underestimate the various scams around 'teaching.' There's a lot of very cheap to do online teaching, where professors record classes at some point and they're replayed. Also, US universities graduate way too many graduate students versus professorship openings, the result is that most classes at your typical public or private uni are taught by adjuncts who are low paid and are 'gamed' by the universities to work cheap. One good summary of adjunct experiences is "Ghost in the Classroom," which just covers some of the scams pulled by Unis.

Making it 'free' is probably impossible - students need places to live, textbooks (another scam where they're reissued with little or no change but the prof insists on the latest version in order to bank the $$, and you can't find them used), room and board, etc. You might be able to reduce tuition is all.

Particularly scummy are the 'junior colleges/community colleges' that bill themselves as 'just as good as a full-time/4 year.' Summary: They're not. They started out, as providing technical training for those that wanted skills appropriate to the era of manufacturing as the dominant industry. That's long since over, and those skills are probably better acquired at technical colleges/vo-techs as we used to call them. But, going into debt at a JC for a degree in Mesopotamian history is absurd, especially since there's no jobs and if there were one, the Harvard grad would get it long before the JC grad had a chance.

Biden's campaign promise to forgive some of the debt's been met. It's grandstanding and probably accomplishes nothing, there'll be no structural change at the Uni's or JC's, the gravy train there is well oiled and full steam ahead, and now, a bit more money from the USG. What's not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,365 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I thought this was common knowledge

This is the lobby for the Clemson University Football training facility

I don't have an IRL right on hand, it's in my camera roll somewhere though. This place exists. It's real.

This is the Chapel. It serves no academic function either

This is one of several Starbucks on campus

This LED wall with no academic purpose

I could go on... Some colleges have a Lazy River. Here is Missouri State's Aquatic Center

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/09/opinion/trustees-tuition-lazy-rivers.html

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

The hypocritical snowflakes are all out after Biden's speech.

Oh I'm pretty sure the White House posted the receipts...

Your comments are anecdotal, as were mine. Consequently, readers should exercise caution as to their reliability and validity, especially when broad sweeping generalizations are made about USA universities as if they are more similar than different. The same cautionary approach should be exercised when applying such sweeping comments about university images, purposes, athletic programs, or the qualifications, skills, and compensation of their graduates.

It might be casually observed that universities often vary within and between their major departments. So to judge a university as if some homogeneous entity in terms of pedagogy and student outcomes can be terribly misleading and sometimes spurious. This diversity within higher education institutions would be consistent with the English author, John Henry Newman, in his book The Idea of a University (1852).

Post edited by Fathom on

Here's a recent graph of average US university tuition, broken down by 2 year and 4 year degrees:

Note that these are averages - the local US university that has a 'campus' here in West Kerry, is over $40k a year, and you won't find it in the top 200 in terms of academic ranking in the US. I believe it charges more tuition than Harvard.

My point is, this is the US and it's always about the money. Is it worth it to send your kid to this uni and indebt him/her for over $140,000 for a degree that likely doesn't lead to any employment? Versus, say, maybe only $20,000 in debt for the same 4 years? And the question that's never answered is, where does all the money go? Adjuncts and video recorded classes are the dominant style of teaching in US universities. Research is not exactly at the center of most of them, many Unis do a lot of important research (which, I might add, is likely not to be funded by tuition but instead by grants from the NSF). Scientific and technological research use poorly paid graduate students as the labor force, so again, where does all this tuition money go?

And unfortunately there's also 'fees' that fly under the radar - memberships students take out for student unions and whatnot. These cost too, as does room and board.

US university charges really are as bonkers as its medical system, not quite to the same degree but it's predatory capitalism run riot under the guise of doing good for the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I do not believe I indicated that I had spent the time to create a complete review of all academic institutions, nor did I indicate that I have authority on the subject. I am not sure such a study even exists that encompasses all higher level education in the US, nor do I believe there would be motivation for such an introspective study from within these institutions. Nevertheless we can form opinions and discuss it based on partial information and our own personal experience., this is not an academic forum after all. I have provided anecdotal evidence of what I believe to be 'fluff' or expenditure that has no material impact on the competence of the student.

• Advertisement

There are data out there though. Here is a distribution 2022 average US uni president salary:

Here's chancellors (the budget directors)

And remember, unlike most private sector jobs even at high levels in the US, these jobs come with high-end health care and pensions. Most private industry doesn't do pensions anymore and hasn't for awhile. Not academia, though, pensions are common for higher levels and tenured faculty.

Adjuncts (with whom I'm familiar) at best are allowed to contribute to a 401k. Depending on their terms of employment, even that's not guaranteed. Sometimes they're excluded from their employer making Social Security contributions, too, because the contracts are so short.

Anyway, I'm leaving off on this now, this is the Biden thread but discussions of money and US Universities always make me see red.

Now compare their pay to private sector CEOs…

Compare to Fortune 500 CEO’s executive compensation, relocation plans with points on residential housing ownership along with free moving, profit sharing, stock options, retirement plans, health and life benefits, executive expense accounts, extraordinary perks (Company cars, corporate club memberships, corporate owned housing to visit in luxury locations, etc., etc.), and golden parachutes if they fail, often running into millions of USDs. Plus their frequent opportunity to serve on other Fortune 500 corporate BODs with additional compensation, benefits, and perks. Of course none of these CEO’s would use their insider positions to benefit from personal stock trades for capital gains because that would be illegal (wink, wink). University presidents are paupers in comparison.

Not a fair comparison, as taxpayer dollars aren't being regularly used to fund the corporations (bailouts notwithstanding.) And the Uni presidents (and chancellors, and provosts, all of whom are very well compensated.) Plus, if the corporations fails (e.g, Enron), there's consequences.

Ever hear of a big Uni failing? Not me; I think some of the for-profit scams have shut down or been shut down, but that's recent.

And, finally, corporate CEOs actually do some work. What's Overheal's guy at Clemson have to do? Open libraries? Go to football games? I'll answer this - they're fundraisers. They solicit and hobnob to get money for the school, which of course helps fund his impressive salary.

Have I ever heard of a uni failing? Trump University failed. Although that one was not “bigly.” 🤭

Never heard of corporate wealth fare? Just to pick one of many. Government porkbarrel Big Tobacco subsidies? Or would you like to discuss Amazon’s corporate tax picture or the taxpayers monies they got that added to their portfolio on top of profits?

Oh, and you mentioned corporate bailouts during the Great Recession? How about Houston based AIG bailout party 9 October 2008 they threw in a Santa Barbara elite coastal resort for $440,000 of taxpayers money including $23,380 in executive massages? And how many millions did the CEO that left get in his corporate golden parachute for failing?

I could go for many pages of Fortune 500 examples of Corporate Wealth Fare, or the many CEO golden parachutes for failure, but why bother?

Back on topic. It will be interesting to see what happens November 8 midterms, and if someone researches if Biden’s college debt relief results in increasing student voting, or the lack of.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Back on topic. It will be interesting to see what happens November 8 midterms, and if someone researches if Biden’s college debt relief results in increasing student voting, or the lack of.

Will not have any impact on Students voting as they aren't the ones getting debt relief.

It will likely have an impact on voting in the 20-40 age bracket which is where most of the people likely to be getting some relief are.

If I were an Independent voter with ~$50k in Student debt unable to get a mortgage/car loan as a result and have now been told that I'm getting a 10k-20k reduction on that you can be sure that I'll be motivated to vote to make sure I keep that.

Yeah a sane person would but when has that ever been the case with GOP voters

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Independent voters are the ones that make a difference.

If you are a registered Democrat or Republican then you are likely always going to vote that way.

It's the 30-40% of voters considered "Independent" that matter and there is significant potential that the things that have happened in recent times will drive their voting behaviour

The over turning of Roe vs. Wade , The Climate/Inflation act and now the Student debt stuff.

None of those things are really going to make Independents any more likely to vote for the GOP but they all have the potential to make them more likely to vote Democrat.

Not saying they will , but if those things matter to you then on balance they probably make you more likely to vote Democrat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement