Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've avoided there because of the generic tapas menu - it reads like a menu bought in and just heated and served. However, your pics would suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

had pizza in Tom Barry's this eve - gee I wouldn't rate it at all.. base was soggy and tomato sauce bitter.. and when you took up a slice in your hand, half the sauce and toppings slid off.. era the whole thing just didn't taste good - like, didn't come together if you know what I mean.. twas goats cheese, pesto and pine nuts.. goats cheese was minimal and poor quality..

not a patch on the The Rising Son's or Novecento etc..

Alchemy are doing toasties and chips now, the Viaduct reopening on the 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I believe it's a Neapolitan style pizza and it's supposed to be soggy. I actually like it and now it's my favorite type of pizza.

I've seen many 1 star reviews given to these Naples style pizza places just because they thought it was "undercooked" and "too soggy". While in fact they're just too accustomed to cremated goodfellas oven pizzas with "crispy base" or "deep pan American style" etc.

Also the reason the tomato sauce tasted bitter because they literally blend a tin of tomatoes and that's it. Most people would be used to a sauce that tastes like Dolmio or Tesco value Bolognese sauce. The bitterness / acidity is just due to the freshness. Again i really like that style of pizza sauce and love that kick of freshness.

There's a special knack for eating those soggy style of pizzas:

Also at 2m10s here. Taught by an Italian pizza master pro.

So basically, just a bit of cultural learning for you for greater benefit of eat pizza.

The first time I ate this style of pizza was when Palmento opened in Douglas. I think they were the first place in Cork to do this style. I found it difficult to eat with my hands. After a bit of googling about Neapolitan pizzas i got the knack of it. However that was a good 6 years ago and i would actually avoid a pizza if it wasn't that style these days. Lots of places do this style now so I'm surprised this is the first time you've come across it.

Post edited by JackieChang on

@JackieChang if your gonna quote me, mayb you should at least refer to my post..

a lot of your post has no relevance to me.. I mentioned The Rising Sons and Novecento.. not had a frozen pizza in about 20 yrs..

I have had pizza in Palmento a few times.. so much better than Barry's and both Neapolitan... but it wouldn't be my preference..

I tried folding a slice last night and the end of the slice was so soggy it just limped - sauce and topping slid with it..

Tomato sauce should not be bitter - regardless what is in it or not... poor quality...

No lie.. I am a certified sensory analyst - honestly - can send you a pic of my certs if you want.. trained in Leatherhead food international in the UK..

I don't mean to be smart - but if you gonna quote me at least compare reference and compare like with like (i'm a scientist)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

@sporina @JackieChang

Sporina, I think Jackie was saying that what you described sounds like a naples pizza, which, to be fair , it does from your description. I don't think they meant it to be insulting.

Very light on toppings, almost a soupy base, sauce slides off when you pick it up by the crust, and the tomato sauce is acidic rather than sweet. You kinda listed everything that type of pizza is known for.

The end of the slice is supposed to be tucked in after you fold it. You're literally complaining about everything that makes a Neapolitan pizza Neapolitan lol.

You may be a sensory analyst but that doesn't make you a pizza expert. Neither am I - I'm just following advice from Italian pizza experts.

I just cringe for these pizza joint owners when I see bad reviews pointing out flaws in pizzas that are actually supposed to be there. Maybe that's why I'm coming across as rude.

I guess waiters should warn punters about this specific style of pizza before they order.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Iguarantee

When the fish wife was good it was very good. I remember my other half used to love their (presumably homemade) onion rings. One evening we stopped by and we got the standard frozen shite onion rings. As it's well out of our way, we didn't go back since.

Myself and the in-laws had Chish & Fips in Crosshaven a few weeks ago and it was the last straw for me. Middling service, small portions, anaemic chips, also didn't give me what I ordered and then lumped 10 parcels on the counter and told me "there are bags over there if you want one" instead of packing the food like every other chipper on the planet.

I've returned to Quinlans in Tralee and Whartons in Bantry a few times in the last 12 months and they are the absolute gold standard for me, particularly Whartons. So good.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Wharton’s is nice - best chips in the area as well

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

What do folks here think about IzzCafe? Had some time to kill y’day before picking up friends from the airport and ended up having a coffee and Zataar bread there (got a parking in the lane right beside it) - really liked it, will have to go there again to try some of the other items

• Advertisement

nah.. on folding, the end of the slice had limped and the topping had slid off before i got a chance to tuck it in... sure - I could tuck it in after the fact - but the toppings wer on the plate at that stage.. not at all like whats in the vid you posted

we adore it - we get food from there nearly every Fri.. lovvvve the Manosheet Falafel.. has hummous, pomegranate seeds, tahini, zatar, rocket etc... divine.. like pizza but better and lighter..

You just need more practice. You're too used to Tesco value Deep Pan American style oven pizzas.

😂 nah not worth the effort as the quality overall is poor imo.. i'll stick to The Rising Sons/Novecento.. Pompeii Pizza in The Fran is v good too

Fran well is 100% delicious i agree. One of the best.

Just for reference, the worst pizza in the city is La Tana.

That's where I stand on the pizza rating scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,280 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The curly stu does lovely pizza, not the droopy Neapolitan pizza as described above, but delicious nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I dunno I think Tom Barrys can be hit and miss, I've had some nice ones and some pretty bad ones.

And I've been to Naples before anyone tells me I have no experience of pizza 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭coleen

Hi We are heading to Cork city on Sunday next and staying on Mccurtain street. Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant mid priced that would be close to there.

Fish and steak and a few other choices would suit the group. Is the restaurant in the Dean good ?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

I would recommend Issacs restaurant. Really good food. Would need to book if you do decide to go.

About a year after you rob, but I eventually got into Bella Napoli. I was a bit put off by the long menu initially, but shouldn't have been. Everything we had was very good. Simple food with a short list of ingredients, done well. I recommend the slow cooked beef Ragu Napoletana, absolutely delicious. That lamb burger you had looked great, pizzas too. Wine list was 100% italian, short but well chosen I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Da Mirco ( Italian ) on bridge street is nice . Dean is nice for setting but I hear food just average !

Went to Sabor Nordastino.

It's really decent, good value grub. Nothing out of this world but decently cooked, uncomplicated food for very little money. €5 corkage on your own wine which is very fair, imo. Coffee was disappointing, though.

Will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭longrunn

Following on from a life long trend of only ever having bad experiences in Cobh, I had another one last weekend. We normally wouldn't eat out in Cobh but we were going to a match on Sunday and decided we'd get lunch beforehand. We found a place called Harbour Browns on google maps and it had good reviews. Unfortunately for us, it was a terrible experience.

My 8yo kid ordered the chicken goujons and chips. As he took his first bite he complained that it was really hard and chewy and I took a look at the goujon and it was raw on the inside. Like, not just a bit pink from undercooking but completely raw and fleshy. He spat it out. I said it to the waitress and she asked if he wanted something else and so he chose fish and chips. After a few minutes though he said he really didn't feel like eating anymore so I went up to the counter to cancel his fish and chips, the waitress was just after bringing it through the door but said no problem and took it back and I could hear a loud "for f**k sake" being shouted from the kitchen. I was thinking wft like, and we should have just walked out but I said I'd pay for the two adult meals and drinks but not the kids. Then a chef walked out and said we didn't have to pay for the kids meal (like as if I would), and gave an almost begrudging "sorry about that by the way". I said I just hope my kid doesn't get sick, and he says, literally (and with a hint of anger/annoyance at me) "neither do I, I said I'm sorry like". Ya know I wish I hadn't paid already at that stage because I would have refused after that attitude. The kid is fine though, luckily he hadn't swallowed any of the chicken, which is the main thing.

gee - there seems to be so many poor reviews of establishments these days.. perhaps down to issues getting staff.. I hope this issue is resolved soon.. for everyones sake - diners and businesses

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I was at wedding last week and the place was literally been run by kids, no one over the age of 21 at a guess. The overall service was shocking but really hammered home how hard it is to get experienced staff at all.

Friend's restaurant has no staffing problems. But then they kept on their staff during the pandemic (availing of government support to do so) and their pay and conditions are better than most.

Paradiso. All the thumbs up again. It's one of my favourite places for years , although I haven’t been there since before lockdown and the new chef and menu. (We got the cook at home from them a few times. )

What an absolute treat it is, and totally refreshed from a few years ago. Far less cheese and cream, more global influence with spices and dishes, and they stay true to the roots of local sourcing.

For anyone who has never been, it's fine dining at a reasonable price. 80 euro for two people sharing , for that you get 9 beautifully presented courses in a tasting menu. Dining room is simple and works well, staff are friendly and know their stuff. Dessert is extra if you can fit it. We were stuffed so got one between the four of us just to try it, I think it was 8 euro for a silky choc mousse with honeycomb.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'm loving their new Asian inspired courses, expertly done. A definite shift away from their older Irish farmhouse style! For anyone who doesn't know, Paradiso is a vegetarian restaurant, but the best one I've been to anyway. I just wish they started doing lunches again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

This looks lovely. Must try it out.

Rarely go out for food anymore so haven’t had many reviews for this thread. Most recent places I’ve been to are: The Glass Curtain - Amazing, worth every penny. The flavours there are something else. Great for a treat.

Also went to Sophie’s recently. Wasn’t expecting much but I got a pizza and was pleasantly surprised. Very fresh and had a lovely base. No on par with the Fran Well but was actually really good.

Advertisement