Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Diana was from an aristocratic family that had links to the RF and her parents divorced, it's unlikely she didn't know about affairs/mistresses etc.

I can’t imagine them not saying anything about it at the time.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/royal-family/meghan-markle-archie-bedroom-fire-prince-harry-b2150797.html

Meghan Markle has revealed that her son Archie’s bedroom caught fire while she and her husband Prince Harry were on tour in South Africa.

In the premiere episode of her Archetypes podcast, the Duchess of Sussex was joined by her friend, tennis star Serena Williams.

At one point in their discussion, they touched upon the expectations of keeping a calm public appearance amid struggles in their personal lives.

Markle went into an anecdote from 2019, when she and Harry visited Nyanga township in South Africa as part of their royal duties.

Soon after landing in the country, they left four-month-old Archie with staff before going to an official talk.”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Archie wasn't even in the room when the fire started and it was extinguished fairly quickly by all accounts. But poor Meghan and Harry having to continue their engagements after this complete non event. The inhumanity!

Also, I feel like referring to the accommodation as "housing units " and mentioning the lack of smoke alarms and having to talk from a "tree stump" was a dig at their hosts for not providing luxury facilities. Wouldnt be surprised if the real issue was that the place wasn't up to their standards so they didn't want to continue with the tour and were told no, that they had to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Icsics

Will she ever run out of made up dramatic stories from her RF days? Such a useless podcast who would listen to it?

What else have they to talk about though? They're nobodies trying to be important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Serena Williams. A Sunshine Sachs client. Keep it safe I guess in order to satisfy contractual obligations.

The tour of South Africa and in particular the Bradby interview was when Meghan began getting side eyed by otherwise indifferent people. She took a lot of deserved flak about that "no one asked me if I'm ok" interview. The general criticism being that this was a tone deaf hyper privileged person playing victim amongst some of the poorest people on the planet. I am sure Meghan is aware of this criticism and, in order to manage it, this story about the nursery fire crops up via the good old and reliable strategy of emotional manipulation i.e. when an unwitting Bradby happened to interview her she was upset because of the fire incident. Archies safety was weighing heavily on her mind at the time. She was clearly worried about her son. Now this helps explain and square away the reasonable criticism about tone deafness outlined above and choosing to continue such criticism now, in light of this new information, makes you an unreasonable asshole attacking a mother who was emotionally raw and protective of her son. Such criticism is thus undeserved. That turning point in public opinion now has a (manipulative) explanation. It is all so calculated but utterly transparent at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭madeiracake

How cold was it that they needed a heater?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Will it be his watching the ash fall like snow moment. 🤥

it certainly looks like they and everyone around them were freezing alright 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭madeiracake

Sure it looks Baltic 😂 it's a wonder they didn't get frost bite being forced to shake peoples' hands. 😝

• Advertisement

Interesting review of Meagains first podcast I wonder who will be the subject of her second!

“By the way, it’s a pity nobody told Meghan that she mixed up ‘archetype’ (which means a very typical example of a person or thing) with ‘stereotype’ (meaning a popular, simplified image or generalised expectation), so let me oblige.

Queen Elizabeth II, for example, is an archetype of disciplined, determined duty, which is why most of the world holds her in such high regard.

Whereas Meghan, abandoning the worthy topic of ambition and spending over half of her podcast gushing about what it felt like to be pregnant, what it means to be a ‘mom’ and how ‘brave’ and ‘hard’ making life decisions can be for us girls who are always victims…that’s a perfect illustration in my book of stereotyping, Duchess.

And that’s the biggest misconception – or betrayal – of all.” https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-11139339/BEL-MOONEY-says-episode-Meghans-Spotify-podcast-sounded-warning-bells-start.html

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

That's the thing - she was! She moved in those circles, and it was very much the norm. But I think at the time of her engagement and right up to early marriage she may have been naive enough to believe that it was proper Disney Princess stuff going on. At least initially, she was only 18 and probably thought that she could make Charles fall in love with her.

Like I said, she could be quite manipulative herself so for her to leave a royal marriage and avoid a massive public backlash she needed a solid way to blame Charles and centre herself as the victim to the public. So mentioning an ongoing affair that she had known about since before they married would be an excellent way to transfer the criticism.

I meant she would have known how common affairs were. I think Charles and Camilla stopped their affair before he got married, but resumed it later? Or pretended to at least.

Imagine having the chance for a deep dive with Serena Williams, discussing her life and career and still making it all about yourself 😄

Meghan, based on the word count from the transcript available here, was responsible for about 61 per cent of the conversation and Serena Williams, a woman whose achievements include 23 Grand Slam Singles titles and who is, in Meghan’s words, a “trendsetter, trailblazer, businesswoman, mum” only hits the 39 per cent mark.

To put it another way, Meghan spoke for approximately 1.5 times more time than the woman who was there to tell her story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Icsics

Mariah Carey is next, expect that to be a lot worse. Royal aides now saying that the ‘fire’ was actually a smoking heater.

Any working parent knows that the show must go on. How many times did I leave a sick child to go to work to earn a wage to feed, clothe and shelter us?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I saw a special edition of OK magazine all about Diana, in a shop this evening. Fifteen quid or thereabouts.

I liked Diana but wasn't tempted to buy it. Not at that price 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119521819#Comment_119521819 There was an error displaying this embed.

It's surprising that she hasn't mentioned it before, especially in her Oprah interview!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

• Advertisement

They’re totally in tune with public opinion in terms of transport and also what the papers like the daily mail might do if they were seeing flying around in a helicopter for a short trip when alternative cheaper transport is available-

Harry on the other hand doesn’t give a fig- he obviously doesn’t care that there’s a complete juxtaposition between what he preaches and what he does.

I love how it mentions the queen enjoying time with her grandchildren and great grandchildren and how much closer William and Kate are getting to the queen.

Another article linked here mentioned how their new home was modest by royal standards and then casually mentioned the gruesome twosome's 9 bedroom mansion.

Slowly but surely discrediting and alienating the Sussex's, hell hath no fury like a monarch scorned.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

Megan wants the Royal life, with all the wealth, trapping, security, PA's, child minders, etc . But she wants it in sunny California, away from the actual Royal family themselves and without being dictated to by the firm. She wants to only attend high profile events such as UN assembly in NY, and not a hospital in Blackburn. She wants to stay in the media, not Fox, CNN, BBC or Sky news as they don't pay for coverage, only the likes of Spotify and Disney will do, as they pay.

William must be at a loss of how his younger brother married Megan after a very short and distant romance. Wonder how many times they actually met in person before he proposed ? I don't believe Harry changed too much, its just under royal protection and control, he came across how the firm presented him to the public. He must have always been anger, he must have always felt he was entitled, he must have have enjoyed being driven in fancy cars, planes, the security, private secertary, house keepers, his clothes laid out for him, the wealth, holidays, etc. If he didnt enjoy all that, he would have ditched it for a simple life. Any photos I see now, he seems to have a bigger entourage team driving or flying him around, carry his bags, etc.

I'm sure William is also a bit different when he's with his family in private, difference is with William, he stays very private.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i wouldn't be so sure that they are totally in tune with public opinion on such matters, after all unless individuals are royal fauners, many will be p'd off that they are having to share the same space with a royal and all the security detail that may go with that depending on who they are.

given what harry says on climate change is ultimately factually correct, and given the daily mail hasn't a shred of credibility then why should he care really what people think? he's quite right not to, and the sooner people start ignoring that dog whistling ultra-racist rag and what it thinks the better.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

good for her, i doubt most of the royals would want to be opening a hospital wherever either, they were just born into it.

sure, harry might enjoy fancy whatever, who gives a crap really? the fact is that him remaining a working member of the RF was just unworkable for him and he wanted out, so he did and good on him and people can be as bitter about it as they like but he will not be returning. the "people's" prince wants to live his own life away from the royal cult element of the british public.

william may be private but he is also not and never really will be all that popular dispite all of the institution's efforts, harry was and still would be had he not done the right thing for his sake and upped and left.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Again, and it always bears repeating, Harry wanted to remain part of it but in a part time capacity. Half in, half out. Remember when he said he was sad about stepping down? Is there any chance his grumbling is because he didn't get what he wanted or that the whole escaping the Truman Show is PR deflection?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

If you're going to s××te on about the climate, you should then lead by example and don't be a c××t about it.

She seems to be peeing countries off left, right and centre!

Looks like Meghan has offended many south africans with her story about the 'fire' and labeling of an official mansion as a "housing unit" that was so unsafe it didn't even have smoke alarms. Not to mention calling a traditional garment for carrying children as a "mudcloth". Just another example of her recollection varying I guess.

• Advertisement

Both Catherine and Meghan were on tour when these photos were taken..

Advertisement