Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I tend to agree, it’s obviously nice to come out of the blocks absolutely flying but it’s hard to judge where different teams are in the build up to a new season. Better to do well but wouldn’t read too much into not doing great.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭lostboy75

Email in saying there is a live stream for tomorrow's match against Sale, which is great news for those of us that can't make it to Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

About the game defence out wide wasn't better than Leinster game in Dublin . Though plenty of good to take frome it

Maul defence held very well

Scrum was stable

not dominated in ruck

All 3 with A team vs Castres best monsters

Congratulated Peter for Irish winning serie vs All-blacks!

Shamus not only scored twice but was everywhere in rucks

McNulty disappointing, bad positioning, blocked-down

N.Murray IS finally big enough

Ralson very light for a centre IMO though. Dowling very involved

Steewart needs to slim down

Hawkshaw try was a pure collective beauty

Byrne was involved in that 1st try. So much more bulked that other Connacht back.

Happy to see Shane Jennings too. He as 13 and Ralston 14 would be more ligical than the other way IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Thanks for the report @connachta. Any thoughts on Booth, McCormack, Illo and Murray the younger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Sounds like there are some positives, good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Also hoping to see a lot of Jennings this season, if he is to play 13 his defence will need to have improved..

How was Hawkshaw at 10?

Just noticed Shayne Bolton is at 12 tonight. I thought he struggled a lot with alignment in attack and defensive positioning when at 13 last year. Seemed to me like a guy who had spent his entire career running over people and wasn't quite as strong in other areas of the game.

Was always keen to see him at 12 as he is a monster and I think could really thrive with a more simplified role.

Completely agree with bolton 12

Hawkshaw played under huge defensive pressure but didn't seem afraid by rush defence

Booth ok D Murray very lively when on + lineout catches but needs to bulk

The rest did not play enough

Match report said Sam Illo came on at 46 mins. How did the scrum hold up in the second half? One would have thought that Castres would be a good examination on that front.

• Advertisement

One very bad (his 1st) the others held well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Tbh I don't believe he was the only one. I thought the two Toms had some right howlers over the last season. And then the lineout seems to be a constant work in progress. On the positive side the maul defense seems to have improved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Line out and maul d looking reasonably solid so far tonight. Butler, Bolton and killgallen All injured before or early in the match

Defensive lineout has been excellent. Thornbury is one of the best defensive lineout operators around imo, great to have him back.

Dooley has been very good so far, encouraging stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

McCormack and Josh o Connor both looking lively as early subs. Dooley and Josh Murphy looking good too

All of the young lads off the bench have been excellent.

Noticed Finlay was in a moon boot. Hopefully nothing long term.

Pretty standard pre season game, but some encouraging stuff there. Lineout and maul were very good on both sides of the ball. Defence was decent but to be honest Sale were awful with ball in hand. Almost no deception in midfield, which I find is usually what we struggle with. Our attack was pretty ordinary between the 22s but nice to see us be reasonably clinical at close range. Forwards really struggled to make yards in straight up carries. Exits were quite poor and we struggled in the backfield, barely took a high ball cleanly all day. Good performances from the new guys and the usual suspects like Marmion, Oliver, etc. Murphy in particular was excellent I thought, and will likely be first choice from the outset, whether that be in the second or back row. Did concede one stupid penalty, which is always my concern with him, but hopefully his discipline won't be an issue throughout the season.

Most encouraging for me was the performance of the young players, including those who came off the bench. Best of the bunch IMO were DTM and Oisin McCormack but literally every one of them showed enough to make me want to see more of them in the senior setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Good atmosphere at the game last night and a good crowd down at it, wouldn’t be against seeing more Friday night games in athlone similarly to Munster in Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Conor15th

Byrne looked ok walking out of French stadium on Wedensday night, should be precaution

As was said on this forum it wasn't really surprising that our defense was better against Sale. Thornbury adds loads to the lineout wins and his fitness will be crucial to Connacht this season.

And while there has been negative comments about TOH, let's look at the other options and why none of them are lighting up the world. If we think back to years ago, TOH was the man who drew in the defense and then provided the offload. Now he just brings ball into contact. So this looks negative but in reality if you put Porch or Wooten or Bolten in the same place, they are all struggling to find supporting players because the supporting players are simply not there. And that's a coaching issue, not a player issue

Maybe I am reminiscing a bit but why is Denis not looking as good as he has in the past. Surely with all his experience he should be killing it these days. So is the experience of veterans like TOH or Denis no longer fit for purpose.

When you look at the other options are they really providing an enhanced solution. The team is leaking trys and is all over the place.

Our support play is simply terrible. We are just never there when required

Unfortunately time catches up with everyone and it comes to a point where that negates experience.

Denis Buckley was very good against Castres.

Last two season was impacted by injuries, but this one and next one are there for him to shine!

Post edited by connachta on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

This “Emerging Ireland” tour of South Africa is a complete joke. Connacht could lose 5/6 of their best players to it, totally undermines the league, absolute farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Who are Connacht likely to loose? Aki and Hansen will be nowhere near this. Prendergast, possibly Heffernan if he’s fit. Who else?

Prendergast, Heffernan, Carty, Thornbury, Murray, Boyle, Blade/Marmion, maybe Oliver. Yes, it would mess with the URC campaign, but it would be a good experience for the players involved, and would certainly allow them to build or advance their case for Irish selection. I think that's an important part of why players from other provinces want to come to us, to get opportunities to show what they can do which they don't have at home.

Murphy, Dooley and Byrne could also be in the running, maybe Farrell or Daly as well, but it's too early in the season, they don't have the body of work yet. That could look different after Xmas. Farrell should look at doing something similar during the 6Ns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Possibly Carty, I would imagine that none of Thornbury, Murray or Boyle will be in the running. Depending on how many Second rows we bring. It will most likely be Treadwell, McCarthy and Baird, possibly bring another but I would think it might be Prendergast covering that. Boyle might be in with a shout but I don’t see it based on last year. Kendelan might be an outside bet in the backrow or Deegan but the starting backrow will probably be the same as in NZ Timoney, Coombes and Prendergast. Scrumhalves probably be Doak and Casey, not sure we would bring 3 in a 30 man squad.

Advertisement