Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI Alternatives-New Charges

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

"With N26 it's free to lodge money into your account by way of a regular bank transfer. Again, your main bank might charge you for this on its end though. But if you want to top up your account instantly within the app, you only get your very first top-up free of charge. After that there's a hefty 3% fee every time you do it"

See that put me off N26 as like tonight my car tax came in and I keep say 100 or so in revolut, so needed to top up by 200, that would cost 6 or so euro

Or is it im thinking of N26 wrong and as its more secure/insured etc, put say 1k a month in for free and bypass the 3% fee

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭macguru

jeffk wrote: »
    I have Revolut as a payee in my credit union under a GB IBAN and forgot to change over to the LT IBAN

I usually have auto top up or when larger amounts could just put in a pin received via text and put it into the mini web page that revolut opens to the EBS site

But now EBS have an app for it :mad:

From the revolut notification in November.

"To make this transition easier, you’ll be able to use both your old and new IBAN to receive transfers for the next 6 months. By using your new LT IBAN you will avoid any potential fees imposed by banks on GB customer payments within the EEA after 31st December 2020."

M

macguru wrote: »
    From the revolut notification in November.

"To make this transition easier, you’ll be able to use both your old and new IBAN to receive transfers for the next 6 months. By using your new LT IBAN you will avoid any potential fees imposed by banks on GB customer payments within the EEA after 31st December 2020."

M

Yeah i got sorted on live chat thanks, must change it on Credit Union while I think of it

Youd miss one bank with Irish IBAN etc for it all, but not if you are paying silly money for the privilege

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Pussyhands wrote: »
    6 euro a month is too steep.

Moving to KBC.

Also the stupid app is ridiculous. You're more likely to lose a phone yet you have to jump through a million hoops to log in on desktop.

Thanks for reminding me of my second worst gripe with BOI's online offerings. I used to use the desktop site all the time because it was way quicker than going through my phone.

I wouldn't be surprised if the BOI app was just a reskinned web browser, I swear it is way slower when I'm using mobile data instead of wi-fi. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

"With N26 it's free to lodge money into your account by way of a regular bank transfer. Again, your main bank might charge you for this on its end though. But if you want to top up your account instantly within the app, you only get your very first top-up free of charge. After that there's a hefty 3% fee every time you do it"

See that put me off N26 as like tonight my car tax came in and I keep say 100 or so in revolut, so needed to top up by 200, that would cost 6 or so euro

Or is it im thinking of N26 wrong and as its more secure/insured etc, put say 1k a month in for free and bypass the 3% fee

N26 is my main bank, I don't have an Irish bank account bar a credit union account.
    N26 is a fully functioning bank it's not revolut. So its my business and current account. So I pay no fees . lthough I'm self employed, I do a small amount of paye work and the wages are paid into n26 as well as recent government grants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Just get your salary paid to N26 and cut out the messing around.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Just get your salary paid to N26 and cut out the messing around.

Unemployed unfortunately

That's why so careful with money

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Unemployed unfortunately

That's why so careful with money

You'll save on money by getting your sw paid into a free bank. Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

calfmuscle wrote: »
    You'll save on money by getting your sw paid into a free bank. Hope that helps

I travel to London quite regularly ( pre covid) I used to buy about stg £100 from An Post FX to cover day to day expenses and purchase train/ bus tickets and accommodation etc on my credit card ( paying it off fully by end of month).

Was thinking of substituting credit card with Revolut, or N26. Which of these fintechs are better for foreign exchange?

Credit cards can charge up to 2.75 % on non-euro transactions. I have moved my credit card from BOI to Avant reward+ and get €30 free to pay the stamp duty.

As regards banking current account I left BOI after decades. Moved to EBS & KBC.

EBS Online service requires great patience and expect multiple attempts to log in.

Have N26 setup and waiting on money from credit union to go in and ill put it onto google pay to tap etc, with a view to being my main bank with credit union as backup

EBS are closed (i know it is/isnt a holiday, thought Monday was dead cert), so cant get PAC to get into my bank online and cant setup authentication app for credit card payments (I have said I dont work and I do realize people need time off, but you think could run a limited service for holidays) until Tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭feargantae

Btw you can easily get around this by topping up for free with a credit/debit card on Revolut and then transferring that to N26. They both support SEPA Instant so the money will go through straight away and for free! An easy way to avoid N26's 3% fee :)

Not a great start to N26, go to add it to Panda for payment and they got Failed · Card not accepted, tried it three times

Over 10 minutes waiting to see if support will reply....Got reply, its a virtual card and some places will not accept them , so pay E10 or stick to revolut

Its looking like stick to revolut :mad:

Not a great start to N26, go to add it to Panda for payment and they got Failed · Card not accepted, tried it three times

Over 10 minutes waiting to see if support will reply....Got reply, its a virtual card and some places will not accept them , so pay E10 or stick to revolut

Its looking like stick to revolut :mad:

My N26 is a physical card?

M

My N26 is a physical card?

M

https://n26.com/en-eu/blog/n26-standard-goes-fully-digital

In app there is an option to get a physical card for E10 once off delivery charge

https://n26.com/en-eu/blog/n26-standard-goes-fully-digital

In app there is an option to get a physical card for E10 once off delivery charge

Thanks, Must have been a promotion on, mine was delivered for free.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭feargantae

Got reply, its a virtual card and some places will not accept them , so pay E10 or stick to revolut :
    Thanks, Must have been a promotion on, mine was delivered for free.

M

It's part of their new push to be more greener. With the pandemic they realised that most people aren't using their physical card, if they're paying inside shops at all it's with Google/Apple Pay. In exchange for no longer receiving a free physical card you get a virtual one in the app that works as soon as you open the account, and if you need a physical card it's a tenner.

We're lucky in this country that Contactless is so widespread, it's hard to find somewhere that doesn't take card.

I wouldn't mind virtual, but not if places can't use it

Rang panda as direct debt idea hit me, she said she will try card again instead and it worked, she didn't try and take a 2C charge like the other one did :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Pussyhands wrote: »
    6 euro a month is too steep.

Moving to KBC.

Also the stupid app is ridiculous. You're more likely to lose a phone yet you have to jump through a million hoops to log in on desktop.

+1 to this --- Painful ! I have thought of that scenario ... what i I loose/break my phone .... grrrr

I wouldn't mind virtual, but not if places can't use it

Rang panda as direct debt idea hit me, she said she will try card again instead and it worked, she didn't try and take a 2C charge like the other one did :confused:

Some cards don't allow micropayments as most systems allow verification of the card account without making a payment (Amazon shows up as Card Verification 0.00)

M

Just got the same issue with panda, payment failed

Go into account and they have my das name on the card details as account is in his name

Something as simple as confirming name on the card to be sure to be sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

I recently opened a Bank of Ireland current account without realizing they had a basic account were i could avoid the 72 euro yearly maintenance fee. Will it be fine to switch next week if i pop into my local branch?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Unlikely. Under EU law, every citizen must have access to basic banking services and at least one bank in the country must provide an EU citizen with such services. It is not there to allow people capable of paying for the services to avoid doing so.

If you look at the criteria to open such an account you will find:

Customers must not already hold a personal payment account or current account with any bank in the Republic of Ireland (you will be asked to sign a declaration provided by us to confirm this)

Since you have been provided with such services, it is unlikely they'll agree to giving you such an account.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Unless you close the current account you have and open a new basic one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

No, you need to close ALL accounts at all banks and have been refused banking services to force them to do it if they are unwilling. There are very few people who fall into that category - newly arrived EU citizens who are unable to provide the typical documentation to open an account for instance. And I know of one guy who had some interpersonal skills issued and had managed to get himself black listed at the two local CUs, the PO and all of the banks along with several government offices that would only communicate with him via mail.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I meant it in the sense that the op can decide to close it, banks can't force you to keep your account open. The op can then apply for a new account. Whether BoI will let the op open it with them is another story. Is it going to be a lot of hassle? You betcha.

Advertisement