Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

What?

Dude, my posts are here for all to see, in black and white. Backtracking? I've no idea what you're on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119528242#Comment_119528242 There was an error displaying this embed.

oh you have never mentioned your volunteering before lol. Can you run us through your bus idea for students again?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

Pascal is annoyed with the hoteliers for increasing their prices n making us uncompetitive for tourists.

Top tip Pascal - when you book tens of thousands of hotel rooms for refugees there is less competition for the other hotels. Less competition = higher prices. As minister for finance I'm sure he comprehends this!

Irish Examiner: Donohoe 'through the roof' at hotel price gouging.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40948661.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

And what about you ‘Jack’? What proactive steps have you taken to alleviate this crisis? No, your hideously boring sermons on a dying website do not count.

My view is that we ought to have welcomed a count of refugees commensurate with the resources available in this country. That way private citizens aren’t expected to open their homes to total strangers. Particularly when many of those private citizens are reluctant to do so, including those cheerleading an unfettered influx, threatening to overwhelm the host society.

Does pointing out that reality upset you ‘Jack’?

It’s positively McEntee-esque.

I’d love to help but rural, unsuitable, transport, something, wibble, wibble..

• Advertisement

I don't see how we are sacrificing everything? That seems incredibly exaggerated to me unless, have you given up your primary home and all possessions and savings to help the Ukranian's and somehow sacrificed your family and friends too?

I suspect it's more to do with the aftershocks of everything committed to helping Ukrainians.. which will continue to affect the economy, and how much the government is capable of committing to help Irish society. Very little of what's been committed in spending will result in improving the infrastructure or the economy of Ireland.

The help is voluntary, the government that we elected has decided what help to give.

Quite a few people didn't vote for this government.. so.. yeah. And no, the help isn't voluntary when it involves the expenditure of taxpayers contributions to the State. I've seen no attempt by the government to canvass public opinion towards approving the measures put into place. Have you?

I have seen some people squibbling about the quantity, yes maybe we could save a few million out of the billions by making some people more miserable. Has anyone lived in a hotel for work? Imagine living in one for months. Not something I'd wish on anyone.

There's hotels and then, there's hotels. And yes, I have lived in a hotel (twice) for periods longer than 6 months, while working. Quite a good experience overall, considering the range of services available in most hotels. I can think of far worse options than living in a hotel.

As for the saving a few million.. Nah. You're downplaying far too much. The costs involved in this Ukrainian adventure have been huge, and with proper planning/implementation, without the overly generous supports, massive savings could have been found. Instead, the government have been running around like headless chickens for months, offering all manner of help, and ending up picking the most expensive options for their answers. And the conflict isn't anywhere near finished. We're likely to be seeing this situation continue for another 8 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The trouble is you took my original post, you jumped in and put a slant on that post that wasn't there, in fact you missed the gist of that post by a country mile and btw if there's one thing I hate its putting words in peoples mouths and attributing meaning to anothers post which wasn't there in the first place to go off on some nonsensical rant and thats what you have done simple as that, think before you jump in the next time

I'm volunteering other people to volunteer. That's what it amounts to.

I would volunteer if I could, and on the basis of that intent, I can guilt-trip others for not volunteering.

All the above. Hence the decision to do something practical, like volunteering my time in a constructive manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

Link below to video in question

https://youtu.be/Ca9NbSDSaFo

Also subsequent discussion in relation to same on Neil Prendeville show on Red Fm.

According to them it was closed because management require advice, "that a legal interpretation is needed as the hub is operating differently than a charity shop" .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Its positive discrimination.

However your man is a clown. He is spoiling for a fight. There are better ways to make his point.

Oh ‘Jack’, you love a good old rant and bit of hyperbole, don’t you?

You and Enoch have more in common than you realize. At least his prose was a little more entertaining to read though.

So basically it amounts to you doing nothing, nada, nichts. You do like to hector your fellow citizens who don’t share your worldview though, don’t you?

Nail on the head Klaz. It’s starting to feel like a ‘Carry-on’ movie..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Ukrainian refugees are “threatening to overwhelm the host society”, and now I’m “hectoring” you?

There’s only one of us is engaging in hyperbole here Hamachi 😂

That’s ok ‘Jack’.

You’re not the first to have that ocean-like gulf between your words and actions exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I'd say a legal expert can weigh in on charity shop policies. And this guy's just a fecking goon looking for a fight. If he wants a free charity shop, fine, go start one. He won't though, make his money off of Youtube instead.

What are you talking about? What words? Where have I ever suggested you do anything? I know you won’t, I don’t care if you do or you don’t. It’s of absolutely no consequence to me one way or the other.

Arguing that Irish society can do more, and our Government can do more, is not the same thing. You’re well aware of this, because you’re arguing against the idea of our Government doing what it’s doing, instead they should be doing what YOU want them to do.

So how’s that any different from what anyone else is doing? When you inquired of me what I’m doing, I told you - I’m doing nothing, Father, because to me it’s nothing to do what I do, whereas the way you’re going on, you’d swear anyone was taking the bit out of your mouth.

That’s why you’re not being hectored while you try and promote bitterness and resentment towards other people who are now members of Irish society. Your opinions, are being made mockery of. I’m also aware that you’re aware of the distinction.

Still completely at a loss, here. Please explain. What, exactly, did I miss the gist of with my original reply to your post? What was the intent of it?

Hey, "Hamachi" - just as a matter of interest, I'm wondering what you do to help others - Irish homeless, students, kids, elderly, etc? Anything?

• Advertisement

And we’re back to another turgid essay, replete with nonsense and hyperbole. I must have hit a nerve..

The fact is that two of the most prolific posters on this thread, advocating for an unlimited influx and unsustainable levels of support, refuse to open their homes to those fleeing conflict.

To contextualize this refusal, it occurs against the background of an ever worsening shortage of accommodation and the fact that at least one of said posters, is uniquely positioned to offer up that accommodation.

Hello ‘Druid’, how nice of you to take an interest. I provide training and mentoring to help people from non-traditional backgrounds access my industry. I also coach a local kids sports team.

My time is limited by having three kids under the age of 6 though. Anything else you’d like me to disclose for your perusal ‘Druid’?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Oh the irony ! You get catty wheb being asked yet persistently ask others what are they doing !! Gas

What is if with that “must have hit a nerve” as if posters have actually achieved anything? Of course you’ve hit a nerve, that much is obvious, I’d tell you that myself. It’s not the achievement you imagine it is!

So posters aren’t doing what YOU think they should be doing, big whoop! Government isn’t doing what YOU think they should be doing either. It’s quite obvious that all you’re doing is goading people, while you yourself have no interest in doing anything.

I don’t think it’s a good idea for people to take Ukrainian refugees into their homes either, but I’ve often taken in people who are homeless, to the point where my wife said she was, and I quote “sick of you bringing home strays every time you go out!” 😂

Ukrainian refugees are in completely different circumstances, and unfortunately for all involved, the official process appears to have been mired in bureaucracy and red tape, not that unusual for Ireland, but I’m not keen on the unofficial channels that people are having to go through either as I know it means people aren’t going to be registered for benefits like social welfare and healthcare and so on, and that’s not a good situation for them or their children to be taken advantage of like that. It’s leaving them exposed to even greater danger and exploitation.

You won’t have thought of any of that though, because you don’t actually care. You just want to sneer and point fingers and lord it over everyone like this is your moment to shine, which, y’know, obviously you do appear to be making the most of it 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I suspect it's more to do with the aftershocks of everything committed to helping Ukrainians.. which will continue to affect the economy, and how much the government is capable of committing to help Irish society. Very little of what's been committed in spending will result in improving the infrastructure or the economy of Ireland.

Uhh. you have any facts/data/anything-at-all to back this up? Because there seem to be many constructions going on as we speak throughout the country.

Quite a few people didn't vote for this government.. so.. yeah. And no, the help isn't voluntary when it involves the expenditure of taxpayers contributions to the State. I've seen no attempt by the government to canvass public opinion towards approving the measures put into place. Have you?

So what? The last election was... 3 years ago? And again, you can contact your TD to express your opposition. This government only does referenda when it affects the constitution. This was an emergency situation and speed was necessary. I mean, i realize you begrudge these refugees having come here, but they have. When the next election happens, feel free to vote for candidates you think best espouse your views. It's how democracy works, good and bad.

As for the saving a few million.. Nah. You're downplaying far too much. The costs involved in this Ukrainian adventure have been huge, and with proper planning/implementation, without the overly generous supports, massive savings could have been found. Instead, the government have been running around like headless chickens for months, offering all manner of help, and ending up picking the most expensive options for their answers. And the conflict isn't anywhere near finished. We're likely to be seeing this situation continue for another 8 months.

"Ukrainian adventure..." more emotive nonsense from you. Like it's not being taken seriously. "Adventures" overseas usually involve going to war. This is allowing in and providing for refugees. Not an adventure. Why are the supports "overly" generous? Would you want to live on them?

I am sorry the refugee situation has inconvenienced you so badly. I think Ireland will be fine, as Boggles pointed out, the money is out there.

I do agree it's not close to done, 8 months is probably the minimum it'll take. I'd be surprised if things stabilize before next Spring.

Have I? Can you point to posts where I have persistently asked others how they are helping Irish children, homeless, and the elderly? I suspect you need new spectacles.

I’m specifically asking what posters are doing to accommodate Ukrainians, which is germane in the context of this thread, no?

Not everyone can accommodate Ukrainians in their homes. Not everyone wants to. That’s fine. Not everyone can give up some time to help Ukrainians settle in to Ireland. That’s fine too. No one should be made feel bad for doing as much or as little as they are doing.

Regarding that video, I was curious as to whether that pillow was new or used. You’d be amazed at the amount of rubbish people have “donated”. You’d wonder if they have any rubbish bins themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

So here it is, judging by the syntax used an Irish or resident family here looking to employ an au pair for €200 per week with room and food and bills, that is nothing more than exploitation dressed up as a virtious act, its not even the minimum wage making it illegal, looks like a cheap live in maid this family is looking for not an au pair... In fairness its taking the piss simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He’s delusional..

i predicted this yonks ago, and communicated the same. I don’t have a degree in business, accountancy or maths… but common sense in a business scenario…

when demand exceeds supply… prices rise, considerably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I stayed in the Hilton, per diems, nights out, etc. It was an experience but did not like staying in a hotel. Can't cook, etc. Not for me.

Yes, the government messed up massively with accommodation but I was addressing a poster who was suggesting reducing the dole given to Ukranian's because. €204 a week for 50,000 is one thing and I wouldn't be in favour of messing with it. Getting the pledges up and running would have saved a huge amount but that's on us and our incompetent public service/ politicians.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement