Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Here is a rather absurd report claiming Moore Street in Dublin is not diverse enough

Moore Street should be “regenerated into a dynamic, multicultural cross-generational, ethnically diverse buzzing street market that is steeped in history and character”, the report stated. “The current lack of diversity is a major drawback, and unlikely to garner any meaningful new business.”

I wonder have the authors walked down Moore Street in, I don't know, the last 15 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Country is goosed let’s be honest.

Its past the point of no return.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Is the main reason you have to wait for everyone to die that holds a spot. pretty sure they are handed down into family's.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

See how long that continues. Be seen as an anti diversity policy.

Oh I know. but just explain it's not really open to anyone to set up anyway. When I first came here was brought to that area still see the same face around now. IIRC one of the older ones the daughter took up her pitch.

Ofc when in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

See how bad it has to get before there is an upsurge in support for leaving the EU.

in 50-60 years from now, there won’t be an EU…. I’m absolutely convinced of it. I’d put a tonne on it tomorrow if I thought I was young enough to collect it, alas I’m not.

there is no way in this shîtshow can or will continue indefinitely , no way citizens of these civilised countries of ours will put up with their wellbeing, safety, financial stability and quality of life being eroded…anti EU sentiment is being felt everywhere.

I wager energy policy will be a big driver of sentiment. Once your having to put on layers and the internet going off those hip kids will be thinking hang on a minute. Remind me of the complains against Brexit those that voted in voted out. I mean Covid has put wheels in motion Such Government overreach in that. Now you have the Migrant issue. Those that were happy may start to feel aggrieved of not getting places in school doctor's appointment free room and board. We did what we should in the outset of that but now is just a joke. I think it's just a death of a thousands cuts for the EU and probably go back to what it was. What I was shocked by such ease of "Papers please" in Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭aziz

I now give it less due to the Germans reaction. They want everyone else to cut the cloth to help them out. Where is the financial bomb in Germany. the PIIGS will be loving this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Italy's borrowing costs are rising rapidly again.

Who will bail them out? The Germans? Not going to happen.

The clock is ticking on the Euro.

And of course the contagion will spread to every other peripheral country including ours.

We are in a fiscal and monetary prison and even after 2010 some don't realise that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Can't really comment on Moore Street, but what I have seen is that alot of our cities and larger towns have now become unrecognisable where the multicultural inhabitants are concerned.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Anyone who voted for Brexit was a) extremely uninformed, b) it suited them financially, or they thought it would, c) a complete and utter moron, or all of the above. If they voted for Brexit because of concerns about migration they were beyond dropped on their heads as babies moronic, or blind.

EU migration into the UK consisted almost entirely of other White Europeans and that tap being closed off has hit many of their domestic industries hard. Their non EU migration that consisted almost entirely of non White people, the part that winds some up on both sides, came from their ex empire and being in the EU or not had little impact on that and continues to do so. And they never lost control of their currency.

A large chunk of their now many generational inward migration happened before they even signed up to the EEC. They only got in in 1973. Their Black Windrush generation of those from the Caribbean went there in the 1950's and 60's. Their Pakistani and Indian diasporas dittto. All because they were in another international community of their own making, the Commonwealth and they wanted cheap as chips labour to rebuild post war Britain(like the Germans bringing in Turks). Oh and they're still dealing with migrants on rubber dinghies washing ashore in Dover after Brexit.

Inward migration beyond the free EU movement of people, again the vast majority of whom are born and bred from Europe, is down to the individual and local states. The EU didn't tell us to accept 50 or 100,000 Ukrainians. We only took in 3,500 Syrians and significantly more than that tried and succeeded in getting into Europe from that war. The EU didn't tell us to have the Jus Soli loophole that led to a large part of our multiculturalism in the first place. Indeed wasn't so pleased with it. It didn't tell us to get rid of it either. That was down to us and a democratic vote. The EU didn't set up direct provision. The EU didn't instruct O'Gorman to tell economic migrants to come on in and expect housing and social welfare. The EU didn't tell McEntee to give residency to illegal immigrants, sorry, the "undocumented". It's not the EU that's calling for more "diversity" in Moore Street and bugger all of said "diversity" will be Spanish, German or Polish stalls.

As for "papers please" and overreach. Give me a break. The trend in society over the last few centuries has been an increase in the number of "papers" the individual is attached to. Indeed the fewer such "papers" in a nation tells you how poor it is. If you drive a car, you have "papers". If you attend a GP you've a whole dossier of "papers" that strangers will read if you need to go for further medical attention. If you have a loan or a mortgage you have a whole book of the things that you will need to produce. Every time you buy something on your card or phone you're "producing papers" that judge your fiscal state. If you go on a weekend break or holiday to Spain, or France or Holland you have fewer "papers please" and you don't have to go near a bank to get cash to spend on dinner, drinks and souvenirs because of the EU.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Ive thought for many years, and have said so here, that migration will be the end of the EU. I think the financial crisis will accelerate it, and we’ll see it pull apart much sooner than I anticipated. 20 years at the most I think we’re done, probably sooner. More and more people are starting to come around to that view.

It gives me no pleasure….I love being part of the EU. But scenes playing out in Holland will be replicated everywhere, borders will go up, and nationalism will take hold, exacerbated by pressures on domestic services and lack of integration. What we are seeing now is just the tip of the migration iceberg. Climate change and food security is going to force tens of millions of people to move. And our politics, society and culture will not be able to cope

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's the usual re-imagining of history and culture to twist it for the sake of the multicultural politic. The "history and character" of Moore street has bugger all to do with the "ethnically diverse". If you took a walk down Moore Street in the 1990s you'd be waiting for quite a while to see or hear anyone that wasn't White, Irish and a Dub and if you did they were likely tourists, or short term stay students.

Moore Street is the poster boy for being White, Irish and a working class Dub. That's its whole thing. There is bugger all "cross-generational" history, because there's barely a generation of multiculturalism in this country in the first place, and where there was in the case of Italians that came here in tiny numbers to open cafes and takeaways, well they're not nearly "diverse" enough, pretty much ditto for the Chinese people who came here in equally small numbers.

"Diversity" nearly always means and is political jargon on the Right and the Left for Black and Brown people. Before the very recent influx because of Russian imperialism, whose paleness confuses both the Right and the Left, when the vast majority of inward migration into Ireland was of other White Europeans, it was the Black and Brown who got and still get the attention. As I noted before we now have a Irish Black history month, yet the Poles alone who vastly outnumber Africans in Ireland don't merit a wet Tuesday in November.

And why does diversity mean Black and Brown? It's got little to do with the Black and Brown folks themselves. It's more to do with exoticism and most of all because of the squeaky wheel gets the oil and those who migrate to another country and culture who look the least like the locals of that country and culture are the most likely to be the squeaky wheel. The Poles or Spaniards or Italians, or Germans who live and work here, well they don't stand out, nobody notices them, no squeaky wheel, so no oil required.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Support for the EU among the member states has been consistently high and increases the further east in the EU one goes and increases among the young and the more educated. Anti EU sentiment pools among the old and the less educated and less well off. Even in the UK and their Brexit mess it was a very close run thing. Scotland and NI were for staying, the Welsh went along with the English as they usually do and even then it only got over the line by little more than one percent. I don't have a crystal ball, but I strongly suspect if the Brexit vote was held again today it wouldn't pass, even with covid and the war masking its negatives.

As for migration being a weak point. There might be something in that alright. As a general thing the further East you go in the EU the more support it has as and they would be the least "diverse" in the EU. Of course the significant economic advantages of being part of the EU are the bigger factor.

As for climate and food(and water) issues coming down the line. Yep I can see that potentially going south and inward migration being actively discouraged. A switch from European navies picking up boats in the Med to leaving them or even sinking them if things get very bad, but that's some time away yet, if it ever comes.

Except, they're already starting to turn the tide. All the European countries, except Ireland, are tightening their immigration policies, and the rights that migrant groups have, pulling back from giving full equality with citizens. Many of the bigger players in the EU are also placing greater restrictions on migrants wanting to become citizens. There's also been movements to encourage the existing frameworks towards internal movement of the unemployed within Europe to be expanded, rather than relying on immigration. So, the migration issue is something that is being addressed.

As for the EU itself, you have to consider the state of the world. China is imploding, economically and socially. Russia is going to be screwed after Ukraine, and will accelerate the decline that was already happening before the war. The US is incredibly divided, is struggling with the inattention to their own internal situation, and is likely to face degrees of breakup within the Union. So, the EU stands to emerge as the most powerful organisation in the world, bringing Europe back into being a force to be reckoned with. The EU is not going to disband when the benefits of staying together outweigh the negatives. Any nation with an ounce of sense will look at the geopolitics of the world, and understand that the EU represents the best opportunity for Europe to become "great" again.

The desire for reform within the EU is there, and growing.. and that's the important point. Previously, the graduates of social sciences and the virtuous politicians were able to stifle opposition to their policies, but the harsh realities of modern economics, and social/cultural friction are becoming impossible to ignore. There will be some humming and hawing, and it'll take a while for the EU to turn around, but I believe it will happen.

There is a pushback coming against the social movements of the last two decades. We've seen just how divisive the woke/PC movements have been, along with the application of race theory for the US.. and that's going to help Europe to combat the idiotic policies that shaped the EU.

Would the ECB not be responsible for bailing them out??,having weaker countries in the euro is of benefit to germany,moreso than hindrence

An weak currency suits economies,that export products,and the euro is significantly weaker than an independent German currency would be?

Italy and Spain were always the weak points of the EU. They've always had issues, and honestly, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they were allowed to slip outside the EU. It's not as if they really match all that well with N.European cultures and the values that are presented as uniform. I'd say we might see both Italy/Spain encouraged to sort their own problems out, separate to the rest of the EU.. because God knows, propping them up hasn't worked.

As for the clock is ticking, I don't see it. Economically, all the North/Central European countries are doing reasonably well economically. The big issue is the failure of integration or the lack of assimilation, and the ever growing wealth inequalities.. but wealth inequalities have always existed in Europe. The aspects of integration/assimilation need a different approach.. along with a new way of viewing further immigrants, in addition to dealing with the rakes of refugees pushing on the borders. However, those issues could be countered easily enough if there was agreement between Germany/France, and considering their own experiences over the last two decades, I wouldn't be surprised to see such agreement coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

You make a brash statement that the old and less educated are more likely to be anti EU .

The EU is good for economic reasons but in recent years it has meddled in countries sovereign laws . The EU court of justice and EU court of human rights .The case of Tony O Reilly and the use of mobile phone data which could see him released . The EU directive to take in unlimited number of Ukrainian refugees ,supporting Ukraine which has resulted in rising gas ,oil prices and inflation . There is also continued pressure to join a European army .The survey does not ask people about EU involvement in sovereign laws .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

The unlimited intake of Ukrainians is Ireland's government decision and the over reliance on russian gas and oil and subsequent surge in energy prices are due to russian influence i.e. the ban on fracking and giving up nuclear. The EU are indeed an impotent bunch of bureaucrats but that's also the reason they can't be blamed for all these. They did nothing.

If you're looking for someone to blame, blame the Greens, from all the EU. They were the useful idiots that led EU to have such a dangerous energy policy. And the reason we pay carbon tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

And the reason we got some absolute comedy gold moments like this 😁

Starts at 2:00 with Simon Harris’ “Who, me?” look, ends with Eamon’s Call to Farms at 2:30 -

“We’ll have our salads ready to go!” 😂

I’ll take him every day as next leader of the country over Mary Lou, never going to happen obviously, but for sheer entertainment value alone, cracks me up… and then falls asleep on the job, literally 😁

Ffs, maybe it's better to outsource the government, like every other public service?

Limerick is getting like that now. William Street is just full of phone repair shops and cheapo crap shops. Parnell Street feels like a foreign country when you walk down it sometimes. Plus they're building a 4th mosque in Limerick...

If you're looking for someone to blame, blame the Greens, from all the EU. They were the useful idiots that led EU to have such a dangerous energy policy. And the reason we pay carbon tax..

So the personality cult of environmentalism with Greta Thunberg was due to Russian influence? Nah. I don't buy it. The greens, the ideologically driven, the fearful pushed Europe into embracing idiotic policies... passing it off on to Russia is simply too convenient. The EU and it's member states are responsible for what they allowed themselves to be led into.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Ohh quite possibly, it sounds like something only he could come out with alright. Could’ve had something to do with emissions maybe, never thought of horses emissions, but cows output a fair bit, 200kg of methane a year, belching, not farting -

https://www.foodnavigator.com/Article/2021/09/10/It-s-official-plant-based-diets-make-us-gassier-so-what-s-worse-for-the-planet-cow-or-human-farts?utm_source=copyright&utm_medium=OnSite&utm_campaign=copyright

Reminds me of a Lithuanian lad I used work with who used bring a Tupperware lunch box of boiled eggs to work every day. By afternoon he was fcuking toxic, you couldn’t go within 20 foot of him, and you didn’t dare call him names either cos he was built like a brick shìthouse, handy lad to know though 😂

No, I'm not saying they are behind all that, but they are known to encourage this kind of ideology, even when is something small like using their bot network to help spreading the word. But there are documented accounts when they were behind anti fracking and anti nuclear lobby and astroturfing. Useful idiots aren't necessarily in direct contact with the vested interest they're unknowingly helping - that's why they're idiots.

You make a brash statement that the old and less educated are more likely to be anti EU .

That's what the stats consistently show, including the survey I linked. It is what it is.

The EU is good for economic reasons but in recent years it has meddled in countries sovereign laws . The EU court of justice and EU court of human rights .The case of Tony O Reilly and the use of mobile phone data which could see him released . The EU directive to take in unlimited number of Ukrainian refugees ,supporting Ukraine which has resulted in rising gas ,oil prices and inflation . There is also continued pressure to join a European army .The survey does not ask people about EU involvement in sovereign laws .

Regardless it and others show a broad support for the EU among member states. And as I said the local Irish laws and actions regarding extra EU migration have and had little to do with EU meddling. EG our jus solis law which no other EU state had kicked it off in the late 90's. We, the Irish government set the numbers and checks or lack of them and social welfare payments to Ukrainian refugees, not Brussels. We could have limited the numbers to say 10,000 and Brussels could go fish. And as I pointed out we only took 3500 Syrians in over a decade and they went through far more checks on entry and residency status, while other places in the EU took considerably more and where was this pressure from Brussels? Both were refugees, both conflicts involving Russia and the West, both with many millions internally and externally placed into Europe with many thousands being killed back home and near zero safe zones within Syria.

Brussels can put whatever pressure it likes for an EU army(which is minimal), but for us to join would likely require a referendum so the Irish electorate would have their say one way or the other(and I'd be willing to bet it would keep our military neutrality). Outside of some African states, India and vassals of Russia(China is fence sitting for her interests) the vast majority of the world support Ukraine against Russian invasion and I'd bet the farm if a vote was taken among member states that would hold up. The fault for rising energy prices and inflation is to be laid at the feet of Russia and covid fallout and those costs are going up worldwide and outside the EU. And personally I like the idea of EU justice and human rights courts as an extra arbiter of law, ditto for EU standards in many areas of our lives.

I would be pretty shocked if it didn't come out that some movers and shakers in policy in Gremany say, weren't compromised by Russian money and influence. For all the anti EU stuff from some quarters I can comfortably say that one bunch that really don't like the EU and what it represents and that's putin's Mother Russia. A safe prosperous EU on his doorstep is a bigger threat than NATO in actual concrete terms.

As you noted China is looking shaky, America is divided(though it always has been to some degree. IMHO that's one of its base states), Russia is fooked economically and politically and likely militarily, the developing world is well, developing, Europe, the EU is in a very strong position worldwide and one of the biggest and most stable trading blocks in it.

There are documented cases of russians helping far right (see Le Pen "loan") and I won't be a bit surprised if they weren't financing the illegal migration. This is what they do, it's called subversion, you can find on YouTube an interview with Yuri Bezmenoz, an ex KGB defector that explains it better than I could ever do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Sad to see how the island will soon be unrecognisable to some shortly.

The American tourists must get a queer shock when they see how Ireland is portrayed by bord failte and how it really is.

Advertisement