Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The one that drive me nuts is the "I'm the only one that can tell my story"

It's a really annoying type of pop that's all over South London where the women sing with a sort of affected childs voice .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Thank goodness its not just me . I have absolutely no idea what I am supposed to take from that ad ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Yep, that one annoys the crap outta me too. 😅

"Ain't nobody else gonna do it for me"..

Any ad with terrible pop is just irritating, especially if it just uses one small sample that they think has a 'catch'. As much as I hate it, I would much prefer that they used decent artists.

Why are there no jingle writers anymore? As cheesy as they were, they had a purpose and didn't seem to annoy as much as these crap samples.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Lads that Lotto 90% ad is genuinely starting to affect me mentally, I utterly despise it like no other ad ever.

Has anyone seen those weird stuttering cartoon ads that seem to be about Facebook and some other company trying to make it acceptable to wear a camera on your head in some sunglasses though? They're so bizarre and off-putting, they dont come on every 10 minutes like the 90% Lotto ones though.

I've only discovered this one over the last couple of days. It's appalling!

And the stage Dublin skanger accent, and the real sour attitude of her. And the idea still that women need to wait for the man to propose.

As annoying as the auld fella on the phone to the son, and the stage Cark "new skewl shoes ahreddy" one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It's an advert disguised as a public service announcement to normalise smart glasses, to make people think these are part of the everyday use now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Genghis

Facebook not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, or from a sudden urge to explore the possibility of TV advertising.

Ireland's Data Protection Commission made them do it. Not just in Ireland, but across the EU. They probably pegged it to some % of sales or per unit sold.

And may the plain, ignorant people be grateful that officious bureaucrats are there to save us from our own backwardness.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/facebook-to-roll-out-smart-glasses-awareness-campaign-1334799

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That ad for podcasts that pops up on Spotify and other platforms.

An Irish millennial voiceover lisping and poorly enunciating, pronounces 'yet' as 'yat'.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

That ad with the bride and bridesmaid in it, is rotten.

'Thanks hun' 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That is precisely it, Zuckerburg has invested $10 billion this year alone in his 'Metaverse' idea so now he needs to normalise people wearing smart glasses all day becasue smart glasses are a way people are going to interact with it. He has bet the family silver on this idea so the ads are trying to get us around to the idea that people going around recording everything 24/7 like annoying twats is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pnott

There is something very weird about the smart glasses ad. At first I thought it was a skit. Maybe it’s just me but I find the ad creepy and a bit camp. Ad for smart glasses or a public service message, I can’t take the ad or whatever it is seriously. Why would the woman in the 2nd ad go up to a random strange couple and ask to take their photo? Let alone why did the couple agree to have their photo taken by a stranger?

Post edited by pnott on

Ah here, that Meta glasses thing - creepy sci-fi movie stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 upbeatdown

Thought it was just me. And yet wans glasses are too big. I want to slap both of them. Just a snog? Yeah, cos she's too annoying to shag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭trashcan

Jesus yeah. That one bugs the living **** out of me. Hate that type of “ singing”.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Are sports people coached to speak in a monotone? I've just seen an interview with a female rugby player on RTE and she didn't raise, lower or emphasise a single word. Just a constant boring stream of low pitched words. I've noticed most sporting personalities speak like this when interviewed, but it is especially prevalent amongst women. They sound like the boring priest from Fr. Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Dettol ad with the clip of someone sitting on the loo with the sound effects

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Haven't seen the ads, and for some reason I decided to see if I could search for them. I still haven't seen them, but saw this.

The 'other use scenario' is a bit of a stretch.. People are sick or tired of 'reaching into their pocket' to take out their phone to take a video.. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

Jaysus dreadful audio throughout the ad, what a bunch of durty feckers too!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What’s the radio ad campaign about shingles all about? Why would non medics need or want to know all about shingles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Supposed to focus on sounds associated with making a mess and cleaning. I'd say it's a Misophonia sufferers nightmare.

Morbidly obese, please, there are regular fatties like me and then there are the super size brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Please tell me I'm not the only one who shouts "f**k off" at the telly whenever that phone ad with "Lee-umm,I'm on the move" comes on.

I dunno why it annoys me so much...is it when the Liam fella just asks the same question in about three different ways,or is it his ould fella shouting and bellowing,or is it the whole phone "conversation" being painfully awkward and just fizzling out into "ahshur ya know yourself".....or is it all of the above and the fact that it's shown non bloody stop??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Is facebook or meta, whatever it's called, just trying to normalise creepy behavior with their weird ads?

But anyway, the current ad for denture adhesive features youngish looking people, who you'll never guess wear dentures.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The one about the baby making faces after doing a monster poo in his poonami pants.

unbearable!

Why is Super Hans trying to sell me stuff now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

I assume if people just started wearing these glasses in public, covertly taking videos of others, that could incite violence and you could be sure people using these glasses would be assaulted. So the ad campaign is to normalise this creepy inappropriate behaviour before really pushing them for sale.

I don't believe for a second they are not recording 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The ptsb ad. What the hell has all that lepping about got to do with advertising a bank. I'd want to know about branch location, opening hours, charges etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its the American way of selling pharmaceuticals to the public creeping in here. A pharma company will put out a PSA ad on tv or radio about an adverse health condition that they happen to sell drugs for. The ad will be dressed up as educational for the public and encourage them to talk to their doctor if they have any of the symptoms listed. Its basically a pharma company trying to get people to self diagnose and talk to their doctor in the pursuit of drug sales.

In this case of shingles its Glaxo Smith Kline who are behind the radio ads but the ads never mention their name at all, it only mentions the website https://www.understandingshingles.ie/ but the GSK logo is there on the top right of the page. GSK sell a vaccine to prevent shingles, it just got approved by the FDA in the US last year. I'm guessing thats their angle for the shingles PSA ads on radio here, they want to create demand for their product.

Advertisement