Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It's truly amazing what people are willing to believe...of course the majority of deaths are in the aging, it is the same every year...this year we are witnessing a surge in excess deaths, we are seeing it during the summer months, that is happening in this country right now it will get worse as we go into the winter!!!

The rates of excess deaths are well above what we witnessed in 2020.

The government reaction to covid is going to kill more people than covid, that is pretty much where we are heading!!!

This excess death were predicted by an amount of posters on these threads 2 years ago, and were ridiculed at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

What was the science behind the 2km from home bullshit? What was the science behind the €9 meal bullshit?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,474 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes, as expected, you don't understand how excess deaths are counted. The majority of deaths are in the aging, and there are more in the aging demographic:

Another issue is the ageing population. The headline excess deaths data does not take into account the fact that there are now more older people. This may be responsible for more than half of the excess.

Data from the Office for National Statistics shows on the days with extreme heat - around half of the days during July - deaths rates were more than 6% higher in England than they were on other days.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

No excess deaths is very simple, deaths over and above the average.

No surprise the BBC will spin the numbers they are complicit in this just like all the other media outlets who frightened the population on a 2 year period by shouting the death rates at them all day every day!! Why wouldn't they spin it...the know their more loyal viewers will gobble up whatever they serve!!

At least the BBC are spinning the numbers, I'm willing to bet our lot are completely ignoring them!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Its not just older people, excess deaths in younger people, including ages 0-14 are also well above expected in a lot of Europe.

You'd wonder are Irish people who fawned all over Tony Houlihan for two years feeling a little bit sheepish...probably don't even know we are experiencing unprecedented death rates this summer, "busier than any winter" I was told by someone in the business, one of the standout moments for me was when a large bunch of young people held a party outdoors in the middle of the summer are were shamed by virtually everyone including Gov Ministers!!!

I mentioned before, our lot will sweep the numbers under the carpet, but that damn will be burst in the US or UK or elsewhere, the numbers are too great and will go on for years!

Yes, it is very simple. How is the average calculated? It just looks back at previous years. It does not attempt to adjust for growing or aging population. It just looks at how many people died.

Too simple on its own to draw any conclusions from.

Because as you acknowledged - deaths are concentrated in older age groups.

Over time there are more people and especially more people in these older age groups.

Therefore even without recourse to any other explanation, excess deaths can rise.

In Ireland, for example, the number of deaths per calendar year has followed an increasing trend since 2010.

This is a basic concept in excess mortality. It is not spin. It is not something the requires willingness to believe. If you don't understand it, you don't understand excess mortality.

You really are the gift that keeps on giving...you are a great example of how easy it is to manipulate people.

The BBC are spinning the death numbers....they have been spinning them since March 2020 when they were grossly over stated, now they are spinning the excess deaths.

When we look back in ten years time, the amount of deaths will noticeably start to peak in 2022, not March 2020...you won't be able to pick out the 2020/21 death rates when compared with the last 10 years despite the hysterical headlines.

And of course it is the aged that are most likely to die, we see that in the Covid related numbers, but this excess is been driven by all demographics...young and old.

Thank you for vindicating the only smart decision I have made in recent times, to completely tune out of mainstream media!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Reducing contacts to reduce spread, I'm still amazed that people don't get or understand it.

The goal was to reduce the average contacts to keep case counts down and thus hospitalisations. A 5KM limit with a €5 rule might have reduced contacts by 10% and a 2KM limit with €9 rule might have done it by 20% based on modelling, they then apply the restrictions needed to get to the case count numbers they needed while weighing that with keeping the economy going.

• Advertisement

And yet we all ended up getting it anyway...so it was all a waste of time.

I'll ask again, if lock downs work, why didn't they work?

Rather important that we didn't all get it at once.

And especially, that the vulnerable didn't get it until vaccinated.

With all that that would mean both for the capacity of hospitals to treat the sick and staff the services.

We were never going to get it all at once!! That has happened no where in the world...The restrictions were dropped last January and we didn't all get it at once!! It's an airborne virus, it spreads like all the others, even if this one has been engineered to transmit easier and do more damage in more immune systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That you think everyone getting it at the same time is a good thing indicates that logic will not work with you.

The vast majority got it post vaccination which reduces the hospitalisation cases by ~90%.

I come back to this again:

I'm still amazed that people don't get or understand it.

"The restrictions"??? What restrictions were dropped and what restrictions were maintained?

What strains were in circulation, how many people were vaccinated at that point and how many people previously infected... So how about stop being deliberately disingenuous.

This one has been 'engineered'??? Come back to us when you have some actual facts and evidence and you're not just scattergunning vague statements and dog whistling conspiracy theories.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

Well, until we know categorically where this virus came from then none of us can produce evidence. It did come from a city where a Virology lab was engaging in gain of function research...that is not a conspiracy theory.

If you have a suspicion that was it was engineered and escaped from a lab that is one thing - you will note I haven't said categorically it wasn't engineered.

But at this stage, making statements of fact that it was 'engineered' without the evidence to support it is just vague innuendo if not conspiracy theory territory.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

Ah yes the “modeling”. Yeah that went really well! There was absolutely NO science behind either of those and you know it.

I don't need modelling to tell me I'm going to encounter more people if I can travel beyond 2 kms or 5 kms. The point is to contain outbreaks.

Or that I'll encounter more people if I'm mingling in a bar having a few drinks than seated at a table having a meal.

In Florida, they based the requirements not on the value of the meal but the % of revenue derived from food v beverages.

And in Ireland the concept of a substantial meal is already part of licensing legislation.

Of course they are not feeling sheepish. They never questioned a single thing that the government did while they were doing it and they certainly won’t start questioning it now. Never question your betters. They learned that off the Catholic Church. They NEED to be told what to do and when to do it. They won’t give all this a second thought.

• Advertisement

I don’t care what they did in Florida. The dogs in the street know it was utter nonsense. And yet you and others will STILL defend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Some people call it gaslighting or sealioning, they spin you around and start telling you that you don't understand this that and the other.

Trying to manipulate your reality and like a person coming to your door with a Bible and telling you that the world's only 3,000 year's old and it's the only truth you need. Next thing they're in your sitting room sitting down with you drinking tea and you're wondering how did I get here.

I've seen,read and heard it all . You read something and you're told you're not reading it properly or do you have a problem with logic.

Listening to various news broadcast and interviews with certain people during the two years and all the absolute lies, manipulation and I suppose it was abusive too.

A lot of people are starting to wake up, but debating or discussing with the pro lockdown or provaccine shower is futile. Computer say's no comes to mind.

If anyone in Ireland says they act the same at a sitdown meal in a restaurant versus drinking pints in a bar -> then they are a lying weasel. And that trumps a dog on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

You keep on banging the drum of ‘ageing population’ as the main culprit of excess deaths. That is a total nonsense as it takes a decade or more for the median age / age structure of a population of any country to change in any significant way. How could this happen over the course of a year?

There is a sudden step in excess deaths now when compared to pre 2021 rates and it has nothing to do with ageing population. It cannot be.

Not to mention that rather unexpected excess deaths occur in a number of different demographics, and not just the oldest.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

A total nonsense? Nope. It's from the BBC \ ONS data:

Another issue is the ageing population. The headline excess deaths data does not take into account the fact that there are now more older people. This may be responsible for more than half of the excess.

So to state it takes a decade or more it without merit or foundation.

We need to see excess death figures adjusted for the demographic changes since the baseline was established - and the baselines goes back 5 years. That applies to all demographics.

Then account for covid deaths & the impact of long covid.

Then account for local factors like heatwaves.

The remainder is what needs explanation.

I would then suggest we need to account for the 'harvest' effect whereby vulnerable people have taken extreme precautions and many types of viruses (eg flu) have been suppressed for 2 years and society is now fully reopened.

And also that where 1 spouse died or was debilitated from covid, this could affect the life expectancy outcomes of the other spouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Same science which told us we need ventilators and potentially there could be 200,000 deaths and now our economy is practically on a ventilator and two million could be in debt. Same people.

Follow the science, protect others by protecting yourself. All those condescending adverts on the radio, lovely soft voice's, she sounds nice. I trust her..... she'd never lie

We needed ventilators. To suggest otherwise is utter nonsense.

Among the reasons the worse case scenarios didn't play out was because of lockdowns \ restrictions & also voluntary shifts in behaviour in response to those projections. We also need to factor in that the early information from China was not reliable.

On the economic front... our economy is practically on a ventilator?

Is that a scientific or economic opinion?

There's a war on in Ukraine, haven't you heard?

We await your 'scientific' or 'economic' explanation of how that's not affecting the economy and it is all due to covid hangover.

It's a mental world we live in. 2 whole years of pure hysteria. COVID deaths were completely unacceptable.

Now we have huge inflation, potential recession, more debt and more excess deaths anyways.

How long before someone links the excess deaths to climate change? Ha

Ah well, at least some of us tried to stop the nonsense.

Heatwaves affect excess deaths, are you seriously suggesting otherwise?

Data from the Office for National Statistics shows on the days with extreme heat - around half of the days during July - deaths rates were more than 6% higher in England than they were on other days.

There's things other than Covid going on in the world, like a war between Ukraine and Russia, two key countries for energy and food production.

To talk about inflation in a post without mentioning that war is utterly disingenuous.

But that would distract from your faux-hysteria about Covid.

• Advertisement

You've lost all credibility now. The extreme heat must be the reason for all the excess deaths... We never had sun before...

Inflation was already predicted and had already started before Russia even invaded.

I mean seriously, you will literally say anything to try to defend the mess caused by restrictions.

Advertisement