Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The next Star Trek film

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The only problem I'd have with an antipodean actor? Is the Australian accent with the question at the end? It REALLY annoys me? But yeah, give us a NewZealander.

If they were going with the current Trek movie version (Not likely), now that poor Anton Yelchin has passed, they could replace him with a new character

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,393 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

If the new film if it ever happens is still in that Universe I do not think they will replace him. Yes they could have a new navigator do. They already had a new character from "Beyond"do whether she wants or will be a part of the next film or not I have no idea.

Anyone any idea who the actor who played her was?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,290 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

At this stage, I'm kinda approaching the mindset that I don't want another Trek movie, it it pulls focus away from course-correcting the TV franchise.

Ms

Ye I would much prefer if its something totally new with a totally new crew and not based on the last 3 JJ films films and crew. Paramount really needed to be quicker at getting them out if they wanted them to work. It should have been one every 3 years. I think the JJ films time has passed.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The alien found on the planet?

Sofia Boutella: She was in the original Kingsman film and was the Mummy in that god awful Tom Cruise adaption

I really think they are missing a big trick not having a Rios 25th century show.

We have a 23rd century nostalgia show (makes JJ redundant for me), a kids show, a comedy show and Discovery is doing it's thing.

If I was to take a guess at where fans wanna go next it's to pick up post Voyager/DS9. Picard is set there and the only bits of Picard I enjoyed was the snippets of that world. But Picard was always gonna be a limited series timewise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

This this and this..! Am in full agreement. Would be great to see a post Nem trek on a starship. Doesn't have to be with Rios or any of the previous cast but the odd cameo would be nice!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jaysus for a hot second I was all " who the F is Rios?" then remembered. Says a lot about Picard.

• Advertisement

I just thought he was a good character and had a good ship so was all set up.

Was he though? I mean, he stood out amongst the bunch of new characters, in having something resembling charisma - but dammed if I could think of a quantifiable arc or pillar to his being. He was horny for pretty doctors I guess? Uh, he liked cigars?

I do see what you're saying, not being a total àss. That episode 1 of Picard was such a **** cócktease in the long run though: look, Picard said. A proper Federation ship! Uniforms! Bridge action!

Now, let's go to 202x Los Angeles; our writers have 40 different ideas and we wanna make them all work.

I apologize for liking him. I'm sorry.

What was any Trek characters arc or pillar to their being after 11 episodes which is all he got before the LA mess.

Don't be like that; I mean to say beyond the natural charisma of Santiago Cabrera (who I remember from the BBC's recent adaptation of The Musketeers, where he was also the charming one), there didn't seem to be that much in the character itself. A testament to the strength of casting to do the work - but the series didn't really give him much to actually do.

A better team making a better show could have definitely done something with him and the Stargazer.

Hopefully we do still get something in that era with a new crew but spin off and nostalgia crap is too big right now. It'll have to be a Worf series or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭Evade

PTSD burnout to believer in cause, no matter how ridiculous the ending of season one actually was, was a bit of an arc. Reactivating his commission and getting a command during the timeskip could have been interesting to see too. But we can't have nice things, he was always predestined to live out his life in the 21st century as a complete waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well the ship was bland but I thought he was certainly the best character in Picard. Thought he was the most human and I liked that (very brief) glimpse of him in a starfleet captain's chair at the start of the last season.

I mean, personally I'm not very pushed about seeing a new Trek movie. I think it is much more suited to TV. BUT if they were going to make one, I'd like to see something brand new. NO precious characters, ships. I have no idea what it would be about but I just don't want to see YET ANOTHER version of the Enterprise or any existing characters.

The movie just got a bit more moribund: Matt Shakman is supposedly leaving the Trek movie in favour of the MCU Fantastic Four reboot...

That has to be the Trek film functionally dead at this stage.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Shakman directed & helmed Wandavision so had a toe in the MCU water already. Reality is ATM, the MCU is much bigger and would open more doors than a Trek movie ever could. Maybe Shakman simply likes the Fantastic Four and this is a dream job.

Ms

Maybe.

I think Paramount will have to change there launch date lol. This is the perfect time for them to think about relaunching there movie strategy again. Maybe wait untill the end of SNW and give them a movie if it's still going well.

Or better yet a Lower Decks live action movie.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

The movie is obviously completely stalled, and was thus before Shakman left. The production has bounced about limbo for ages now and even when Shakman got the gig it seemed like a tentative announcement than a real "We got the guy! Lets gooooo" kinda moment.

When was the merge with CBS? 2019? I daresay this has been clinically dead since then but considered too potentially valuable to outright nuke the project.

Pine, Quinto, Saldana, and Urban have all been pretty successful since too. I imagine it would take an unreal script or an unrealistic ball of money to get them back together.

Depends on whether or not they're already contracted to do a fourth film.

I hope not because if a performance was wrought from contractual obligations, those saying Chris Pine has to play Kirk, I'd not hold out for a stellar film. This long since the last you'd imagine most of the cast have just mentally moved on - as well as enjoying decent careers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭Rawr

I really think they should reconsider another JJ-verse Enterprise crew movie, especially when we've got an Enterprise crew TV show running. You and I all know the difference between the different realities, but regular Joe Public might get confused and I feel that the very last thing they'd want is brand confusion. (The Trek brand itself is the commercial appeal at the end of the day. Not wise to confuse people with it).

Would be wiser to write a movie that's just in the Trek universe. It doesn't have to have the Enterprise crew to be a good story. Also, if they avoid Kirk & Co, they'd have greater freedom to hire whoever they like.

If I were to write a Trek movie I'd be tempted to mine some elements of the series that were mentioned but not explored in detail. I kind of imagine a movie focusing on the Dominion occupation of Betazed, where you have a group of people (not nessisarly Starfleet) trying to outrun the Jem'Hadar. Vorta make for great villains too, wouldn't mind Jeffry Combs (or someone similar) as a primary villain to a feature film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Whatever about brand confusion and us knowing the film and series aren't related but I think it's safe to say a lot more non Trek watchers would be interested in a new Trek movie with Pine as Kirk than a niche movie like you described. Not saying it's a bad idea but it wouldn't be a big budget film and more of a Peacock movie.

But I think if they're watching any trek series in the first place they would realise the difference. Sure how many different versions of comic characters do we have on screen? Some at the same time. Grant Gustin and Ezra Miller both play the Flash. Tyler Hoechin and Henry Cavill as Superman. How many Batmen do we have? And people are familiar with alternate timelines and multiverses.

Where I ask the question perhaps, is... Is it? That is: is Trek a viable blockbuster property the average punter is interested in seeing anymore?

I'm not even sure anymore. Blockbuster cinema has changed so much since the first JJ film - which came out only a year after the first Iron Man - a hugely pivotal moment in the last 15 years of the crowd-pleaser. Fast & Furious then became a powerhouse itself within that time too and the space for viable multi-film franchises feel ... rare. Certainly there's a graveyard of attempts.

At this stage I think a sub $100 million B Movie would be far better placed to make bank than another attempt at Big Exciting Noisy Trek in the mould of the JJ films. I don't know exactly how mind you. Just that what we got in 2009+ even now feels archaic.

I'm not having a go at the Avengers but they are all just quips, mcguffins and fight scenes with little understanding needed. I was well able to follow the movies called "Avengers" despite seeing none of the stand alone movies.

F&F you could watch with the sound off and still follow and that's where the money is given the massive importance of the Asian market now.

I don't think you can really make that kind of Trek movie. Something like First Contact has the bones of it as it's essentially zombies in space but still requires too much backstory.

Ms

I think now is the perfect time for them to either do a young Picard film on the Stargazer or get someone not so young but not too old as Patrick Stewart is past it now to be in another movie and do the backstory to "Picard" the one where Picard sets out to save all the Romulans after Starfleet refuses too do so or even help him. That could make a very good and even relevant story to what is happening in the World today. No idea do if it will still be relevant in 2 or 3 years time.

Or they could go even further back in the Enterprise NCC-1701s history and do a story with Robert April and his crew in charge of the Enterprise but then that would need a series.

There is lots of ideas there if they just try that really could work.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Mentioning First Contact is a good angle to look at. It's not just that it was "Zombies in Space", but it was also a pretty accessible take on that era of Trek. They introduce Picard's history with the Borg visually within the first few seconds of the movie. They build up the menace and danger of the Borg with music and visual keys withing the first 4-5 minutes. If you had never seen Trek before, the film does an excellent job of showing a new viewer what The Borg are about and why they are so dangerous. Having Lily onboard also gives the story the opportunity to explain the Trek universe to an everyman, much like what you have with Doctor Who's companions.

If you hadn't watched Trek before, you could get something out of First Contact, while at the same time a long-time Trekkie would stil be engaged. It's a difficult balance to get right, and I've only ever seen it a couple of times, but it could be a way to go with a new Trek movie.

They should gun for writing a story that would engage and attract Trekkes, but presents itself in a way that it can draw in a new viewer even if they have never seen Trek before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think I'd lay 10-1 on Chekov's replacement being Ukrainian...

Ms

What if they went for an alternate Universe Next Generation film.

Say the one where the Borg are everywhere and the Federation is gone.

Maybe not start there do maybe a Trilogy of films with the first film being about the Borg and that they are coming then leave it at a cliffhanger and the next film would be the Federations attempt to stop the Borg but the Borg would be winning and in the last film have the Borg everywhere and the last few survivers like Riker and the Enterprise trying to get away and maybe before the end of the film the Enterprise just disappears.

It would be a great way of revitalising the Borg anyway and having them as the big bad they should have always been and no Queen in site.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The problem with a lot of what we'd consider good ideas for films is the general audience knowing the background. A film set during the Dominion War would be cool but the wider context is hard to get across in the opening few minutes of a film unless the framing of the film was something like Courage Under Fire or Rules of Engagement.

Therein is the challenge. It would take some really good writing to create something based on an established Trek element like the Dominion War, and present it in a way that would make sense & appeal to the general viewing public. Another Trek example that comes to mind apart from First Contact, is Wrath of Khan. Younger me had never seen the Space Seed and I only had a vague general idea Star Trek and the Enterprise, but that movie made it very clear to me that Khan was dangerous and that the Enterprise crew were good guys who needed to stop him.

All of that was thanks to good writing and production, which I think can be done again if the right people are hired in.

Same here on TWoK. I might have seen Space Seed but was definitely too young to join the dots and realize it's the same guy especially when you factor in him and his crew looking nothing like the Space Seed version.

Didn't matter in the end as the movie explains the situation and world very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭eadrom

I wonder if any of us would be all that happy if they took a one-episode character like that and changed them so much for a film, as Khan changed between Space Seed and TWoK. Like aside from some establishing story details, I think you could watch the episode and the film back-to-back and still not really cop that these were supposed to be the same character -- nevermind his ragtag group.

I'm sure it helps that both the episode and the film are top-class in their own right but I still suspect there'd be a fair bit of #notMyKhan going on.

Anyway, Star Trek has always been better suited to television and I don't think that's ever going to change. I'd prefer some lower-budget long-form stand-alone stories told on television/streaming, that don't need to work so hard at drawing in an uninitiated audience to justify their budget. Like one or two 90 - 120 minute long specials that explore something interesting (and/or exciting) every year or so, in addition to the ongoing series.

They were able to handwave that away with the environmental shift and it's ensuing hardships. It drove him crazy

Hell we all even bought into the years of isolation and crushing futility of Tom Riker's existance making him a very very different man to Will.

Some of the stuff in that movie would be ripped to shreds now and some was at the time.

. Starfleet is constantly refered to as "the military" and David believes they are not to be trusted with dangerous tech.

. The uniforms are nothing like anything in Trek before (or after) and are again purposely designed to make Starfleet look like a 20th century navy

. It was derided by some as too much of an action movie at the time (too much pew pew)

. Khans crew are suddenly all young Scandinavian models.

And there would be war over the scene where Kirk won't raise shields when Saavik wants to. This would now be Kirk (all men) being made to look stupid and getting "cucked" by Mary Sue 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

they just need to pickup axanar as an actual canon film. It would be an epic stand alone film in the universe.

the ground work already done is better than the entire JJ-verse.

• Advertisement

The guy behind it fucked up fan films forever.

Wasn't it all just a scam in the end or something ?

It's actually pretty crap too when you analyse it. The story is just Klingons build new ship so Starfleet build a newer ship so the Klingons build an even newer ship that is one number higher than before so Starfleet build a newer newer ship.

There were some shenanigans with funding, although that’s often the danger with crowd-funding.

I’ll agree that Axinar was really just a basic Arms-race war documentary that hadn’t much else going on. But what they managed to nail was the real sense of expanding the TOS world and create a show that genuinely felt like a modern prequel to TOS. In the few minutes they had, they also did a great job illustrating the Klingon War. Discovery’s better funded attempt at that pales in comparison.

But alas, thanks to Discovery and continued messing about with prequels make covering the Klingon War a bit hard (unless it’s a side-story that has nothing to do with established characters.)

What might be good is a big-budget remake of that Pacific 209 fan movie. The idea was great, but they were clearly squeezing the pennies and the volunteers didn’t have the best acting skills. Remake that movie with professional cast / sets and then polish up the CGI they used. Could be good.

Can't speak to the suggestion of it being a scam, but their attempts to commercialise their fan project effectively destroyed Trek fan films forever - an offence that should consign Axanar to the rubbish bin & be forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I don't think it was a scam. I was very optimistic about it when the mini version first came out and some famous faces were in it.

But then they tried to monetize everything and fcuking ruined fan films for everyone.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

I seem to vaguely recall they tried to justify the monetising by claiming JJ Abrams gave them his blessing, or something along those lines. It really was a facepalm moment - mind you. Some of the blame should be squared at CBS/Paramount, who arguably overreacted to the offence.

• Advertisement

I was also put off of Axanar when it got this weird elevation to "real Trek" from people who used it as a stick to beat new shows with. It's really not as good as it's made out to be.

It's a bit like the recent beatification of Enterprise.

To be fair up until Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds those shows deserved a beating.

And Enterprise season three and four have always been good, one and two even have a few good episodes.

Yeah but Axanar was ... fine. It had polish and production value, not generally seen with these fan productions, so I think got hyped into more than it was. A cute idea, with some decent actors for a change, but nothing the franchise was waiting for with baited breath IMO.

Heck, if anything, given it was a "documentary" about a war & the winning warship technology, it wasn't even that "trek" in the first place!

You leave Enterprise alone. It had the same shakey first few seasons as most Trek. Season 3 is fantastic and 4 had it coming into its own and focusing on what it should have, all along: The Earth/Romulan War and birth of the Federation

• Advertisement
Advertisement