Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭scwazrh

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

He told me exactly that in person last year that the shop is a side gig.

Just checked again , it’s a glitch on the site . Choose gbp and prices show with a euro symbol and a higher amount , choose euro and prices show with a euro symbol and a lower amount .Checked it with an advertised price on instagram .

So usual grey market prices as opposed to anything crazy high, still overpriced .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭893bet

Or 1.2million of the top figure is used.

Hence i aimed at the middle.

If he said that last year when they had only 300-500k subs then he is definitely pulling in 500k plus at this point. Obviously he has all the editors etc but most of his videos are fairly “cheap” to make as such.

• Advertisement

Same site has Watch gringa at 700quid -12k for the year

her recent video showing how much she actually makes puts her at the top of that range. Nico could easily be pulling in the million at this point.

But why then be so bent out of shape over Oisin, principal I guess.

Poor Oisin is on €600-€10k a year 😂 No wonder he’s begging for handouts .He puts a serious amount of time into his videos for that type of money

He mentioned some sort of Asian (Chinese?) YT equivalent where he already had millions of subs.

Yeah the multi language channels are huge for the big YouTubers.

Mr beast ( think he is the biggest globally)!has all his videos dubbed for different language.

Not sure of that website only calculates add revenue based on subs and views etc.

superchats could be extra hence the weekly live streams for that peasant.

• Advertisement

So you are saying some poor fookers actually have to translate Nico's verbal diarrhea and try and make it sound half funny? 😂

Nico barely speaks English. Do doubt his Chinese is up to much. I don’t really watch his channel. Definitely aimed at a younger market and I ain’t old. Suspect 90 percent of his subs don’t have a watch that cost more then 500 quid

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Going by his discord that seems very much to be the case. "God Tier" Casios, a few Hamiltons, the very occasional Tudor/Rolex. The vast majority of lads on it would be under thirty and many under twenty.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

True that but if he can pivot a little and keep the subs and views up then he on a fast track to multi millionaire….:from cursing on the internet basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

Took a trip into weirs today to try on the breitling, tbh I didn’t like it. I’m used to a watch with a bit of weight and the titanium just didn’t feel good. Saw a nice Tudor that I liked and I’ve an offer in on a mint one on chrono….fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,

Anyone seen this type of strap before?

Curious if they can still be sourced. It's on a stowa fleiger but stowa don't seem to sell them any more.

Cheers,

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭micks_address

Thanks it's a very comfortable strap but I'm struggling to get my hand through it. Might just go for a more traditional strap instead

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Hi All,

Finally getting around to posting again on here, hope everyone is doing well,lots of catching up to do!

Its been an exciting couple of months, pick up from my last post back in March attending the Birmingham City University open day for the 3 year horology course [Link]

Giving the 3 year commitment combined with the high cost of attending, I decided to try to look at getting a job in the industry first to see if it's something I would like to as a career.

As I mentioned in a previous post regarding the history of the former watchmaking school in Blanchardstown, I had been volunteering working at Dawson Jewelers on my day off from my main job working on a fish counter in Dunnes Stores.

There I learned about a watch brand called Bremont based in Henley on Thames in the UK from a watchmaker working in Dawson's that worked there and also graduated from the ISIH,class of 2000.

I contacted Bremont inquiring about how to become a watchmaker and got a reply that the first step would be trained inhouse as an Assembly Technician, basically involves the final stages from when the movement is put together by the watchmakers, putting on the hands/dial casing up and testing before being sent to a school in Manchester for a year to train as a watchmaker.

I saw that there was an opening listed on indeed for the role and applied. Got an email to attend a interview/ bench test.

So, on a Tuesday day off from Dunnes, got up for a 6am flight to Stansted to catch a train to Reading and a taxi to Bremont.

Arrived at "The Wing" as it's know, only built during the pandemic, it was quite a sight!

Got a tour of the building which actually you can book on there site. Started with the bench test which I taught went horrible as I only practiced taking movements apart, not fitting hands which is something that was asked. The interview was kinda funny as I was sitting there the hole time thinking,"there not going to hire this crazy Irish guy who works on a fish counter to build watches!"

Told them about the BHI course and practicing on movements. After the interview I asked for a taxi and to take me back to the train station. They ended up sending me out a private car, cost on Bremont!

I attended another interview for a private service center in the center of London. After an exciting day, headed back to Stansted to catch a flight home.

The following Monday, got a call from Bremont, standing shivering in the raw meat fridge in the back, I took the call, honestly couldn't believe it! Asked them could I have a week to get back to them as it was a life changing decision.

A week later called them up to accept the offer! Handed in my notice to Dunnes, took a trip to somewhere I've always wanted to visit having a interest in WW2 history, Munich and Nurinburg ( pictures for Another post) and got ready to move to Henley on Thames!

What an incredible place to live, expensive but beautiful! Moved over on the 2nd of June, staying in a room share for now. Stated in Bremont the following week.

Started up in stock where the parts are collected to go down to the assembly room.

In July I started along with 3 others as an Assembly Technician

A dream come true! Starting out on 3 handers,then GMTs then Chronographs. The staff are great, really friendly, around my age,many from non watch related backgrounds.

Work Mon-Fri 8-4, time just files by! I also attended an assessment day up in Stockpot, Manchester at the British School of Watchmaking for the WOSTEP 3000 hour 2 year course, met several Irish attending the school and a girl from a small town near Galway who flew over just for the day. Unfortunately I wasn't one of the 8 chosen this time but planning on reapplying again next year.

Will be attending another BHI week course in servicing automatic watches in November and attending the watch fair in Birmingham in September. I'm sure I've forgotten load's.

Going from this

To this

Here's a full set of pictures of the journey including some more of the former Irish Swiss Institute of Horology in Blanchardstown which I took a visit to before leaving and looked around inside which is now a secondary school.

Pictures: https://ibb.co/album/kKsrxy

(Select Oldest first to view them in the correct order)

Thanks all for the support and hopefully I now will have time to post more regularly.

Post edited by IrishPlayer on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Congrats on your career shift, sounds like your are really enjoying it. All the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

@IrishPlayer That is an amazing post, congratulations man, and fair play for the initiative shown to get the job and bravery in making the move. The very best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

That’s a great story and well done on achieving your goals. Funnily enough watched the Made In Britain episode with Bremont watches only this week. It looks like a great set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Just to echo the other posts @IrishPlayer, that's amazing! Really cool and pretty brave step to take. Honestly one of the best the best posts I've read on boards! Keep us updated, pictures of the workstation and stuff like that is really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭covey123

@IrishPlayer good on ya for going for it,big move and amazing experience to have under your belt.Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 19,982 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭banie01

@IrishPlayer I am in awe of your bravery and wish you success in your dogged and determined pursuit of knowledge and your balls to the wall way of doing it.

Bremont make some lovely pieces and I'm sure your passion and determination will be rewarded.

I look forward to someday having you service a watch of mine or better yet? Buying a creation of yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Its great to see you following your passion and a brave move indeed. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Congratulations, @IrishPlayer!

Had a similar gamble many years ago, and it is a very empowering thing!

All the very best for your new life. No doubt we'll be hearing of another boutique watch brand soon, from an entrepreneur with skills honed in a venerable old brand.

Inspiring stuff how you are quietly pursuing your goal.

Early days obviously but what does the career path in Bremont look like? Is is straight to watch maker after that 1 year course? Or is there like an internal apprentice type program?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mailforkev

That’s class @IrishPlayer , takes a solid set of cajones to make a big life change like that to follow your passion. Hope it all works out for you.

Advertisement