Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet Quitting - the new “great resignation”

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

It is happening all over the World, a lot of people are kicking back against working the long hours and after spending so long with family etc they don’t want to return to the hun drum

Even our company, it was only a select few who could WFH, now everyone can because they can’t hold staff and they can’t attract staff if they don’t offer.

You also notice the amount of people working late or contactable after hours is not gone.

To be honest it is good and some companies seem to be struggling as they had a model of 2 people to do 4 people work and then just flog them till they quit. People just won’t do it and they are right

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Edit rant removed

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

The pandemic made people realise just how fucked over they've been getting in the workplace and that there's more to life than sending yourself into an early grave.

Tbh, I work in a profession where working overtime on a semi frequent basis largely doesn't benefit my job. If anything, I tend to do a better job if I just come in the next day with a fresh mind. I realistically do work more than a normal 9 to 5. But I enjoy what I do.

I have had a handful of occasions where I've worked overtime to a substantial degree in previous roles, it wasn't good for me either physically or mentally.

And in general I am viewed as a top performer in my role. Working well with my time is more beneficial than excess tbh.

Edit rant removed

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Personally I believe this is the new burn out from people working at home looking at zoom all day.

The phenomenon being described in the article is nothing new. There were always people like that who would do only their contracted hours and be clock-watching from the start to finish time, and not in a time-management, organised way, but literally killing the time in between.

“Quiet quitting”, it’s the new way to frame being lazy and unmotivated as virtues 😂

Don’t think so, you have people in our office pre covid worked hard all day but would still be working at 8/9 at night and up next morning

Same people work hard all day but quit at the right time and just no work in evening etc

I noticed it started in covid when people would set up call at 8 in morning and then 6-7 in evening, during 1-2 wtc

People got pi**dd very quickly and then our work banned calls before 9 and after finish, also 1-2 was banned

• Registered Users Posts: 16,336 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If you can wrap it up by 5, fair enough.

You can be the busy fool and be the bestest boy or girl in the company and get fcuk all thanks for it. No-one ever regrets that they didnt spend doing more unpaid overtime on their deathbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,856 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Just applying a trendy title to something that has gone on since time immemorial. RTE just copied and pasted what was in the Irish Times during the week. There were always people who did the minimum necessary in a job and people who after a number of years in a job started freewheeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

Exactly, just a bunch of lazy pricks who never did the hours they were supposed to do or the work they were supposed to but have now found a way to label it so they end up looking like some kind of hero. A proper good recession is needed to sort out the wheat from the chaff. The world is full of these tick tock merchants who see no issue with spending half their day on social media rather than doing the job they were paid to do.

• Advertisement

Hmm I just went on a rant in my responses. I think it was the 9-5 mention from RTE, of all organisations, when that's a short work week for me.

But yep, what you said nails it for a lot of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

It's always been around, known as work-to-rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Relax brah

We had something similar, half day Fridays - people very rarely use them now as they have too much on. Company isn’t exactly reinforcing the message either.

Fair play to your company that’s a very good idea but how heavily enforced is it?

That's not quite what work-to-rule is. Only working contracted hours is only a small part of it and it's an action taken in order to reduce output and efficiency, usually as a form if industrial action.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

There's a thin line between being flexible and covering for headcount gaps/unwillingness to hire.

I've no problem with an extra half hour or so here and there, or staying late to help with something like an outage, but if it became a regular or expected thing that would be a very different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I can see there being a rise in people who formerly would have done a bit extra while in office, but are now becoming more black and white about things due to being at home. Seems like a natural consequence of a rise in work from home.

But dickheads getting wet as they count the minutes until they can record themselves slamming the laptop shut at 5pm, all so that they can post it on social media and get the shallow kudos from other dickheads?

Thats not a problem, because that sort of moron never contributed much to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Quiet Quitting? Is that what they're calling the admin side of the HSE now?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

I have noticed last 3years but especially this year the graduates we are taking on are even more lazy and beyond useless than usual.

I have lost count of the times I have asked them to use their brains and get into it

We have let go 5 already. All 5 having honours degrees in accounting , giving out degrees now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I’m in business a long time and have noticed a change coming pre pandemic, but it’s definitely sped up.

I think post recession people realised that no matter how hard they worked, their employer would let them go if there was a downturn again. Among younger people there was a bit of naïveté, unpaid overtime became quite common in some sectors, and people nearly looked down on those with better working conditions. For example it was v common to slag off the superior working conditions in the public sector, when the smart move was to join it.

Anyway, a few hundred thousand people lost their jobs in the recession and attitudes changed a bit. The hard truth began to be understood, employers, myself included, can’t and don’t reward loyalty or hard work to the extent it’s deserved.

People had definitely become a bit more sensible about how they worked pre pandemic, but it’s at another level now. Very hard get or keep staff and motivation isn’t a fraction of what it was in the Celtic Tiger years, or even three years ago.

While it doesn’t suit me, the reality is people have just copped on, they’re not going to put in more effort that what they are payed for. It’s 100% fair, but it’s a challenge for business, the culture is no longer as pro business. It’s more like what it was in the 70s and 80s than the early 2000s.

It’s playing out politically too, SF have more support than FF or FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I mean work to live not live to work right? I've had this attitude for my entire life, no regrets so far. Having said that I am motivated by personal relationships,not rules and if my manager asked me for emergency help at any time , including 2am as has happened, I help without hesitation because I want to help him, I couldn't care less about the company. In fairness he always gives me a day in lieu, if he calls me in like that, he's a good lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Biting your nose to spite your face.

You might not want to put in the extra effort and that's fair enough.

When the promotions and pay raises are being dished out, you'll be at the back of the queue.

When you're in your 20s and early 30s, free of baggage and have the energy, that's the time to work your ass off and make a name for yourself.

It doesn't always work that way. I've always selected people for promotion on the basis of their efficiency and quality of work and never because they work longer. In fact I always was suspicious of the ability of someone who had to work more hours than anybody else, or than the job asked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Quiet quitting is a nonsense term.

It is people working the hours they are meant to. Rightly so. There is more to life do your job, work hard when you are meant to (zero time personally for people who sit and literally watch the clock - but that is a different thing) and switch off when you are meant to be off. Pretty simple. Obviously if there is an occasional out of hours issue or an emergency I would happily help out even at weekends.

People working huge amounts of overtime is not a sign of hard work necessarily,if anything I think we should be aiming for a 4 day week.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,982 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Many of ye appear to have missed the definition of quiet-quitting.

It's not about working hard during your contracted hours, and then stopping.

It is about doing the absolute minimum you can do without getting fired. So contracted hours, minimum outputs, no learning new skills. Just plodding as slowly as you can get away with.

So yeah, if you want to be an unpromotable dead-head, who has no colleagues who you can trade favours with ('cos you never do anything to help anyone else), then quiet-quit away.

Just keep in mind that technology keeps changing. The skills which are keeping you employed today will likely be obsolete in a few years time.

I think you’ve both misconstrued the group of people being identified in the latest social media fad. They’re not the people who work hard or the people you know you can trust, or that team you put together that you know you have each other’s backs on a project, you know what’s going on because your team are comfortable with coming to you with anything and you’re able to plan accordingly. Just now I think of it, as I said in another thread yesterday - when they ask me to add them on Facebook, I know more than I want to know about them already. I know I can trust them, I don’t need to know anything else about them.

The types who are literally looking for praise for doing the most basic expectations of their employment, I wouldn’t want to deal with them in the first place. I don’t know how, or why they’re employed, but they’re clearly lacking in job satisfaction, it’s unrewarding for them, because they’re looking to be rewarded for achieving nothing. They always have a “sticking it to the man, company doesn’t care about you” mentality, whereas 99% in my experience, just don’t care about themselves.

They’re not the same as someone who is efficient, productive and capable of managing their time effectively so that I know I can rely on them, I don’t have to micro-manage them to the nth degree, wasting my own time that’s better spent on work projects I’m working on. It sounds like those employees engaging in this latest fad just want people to notice them, they want to be supervised and micro-managed so they can justify their bad attitude to the world of employment as an adult, where they are expected to be able to be trusted to manage themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

IMHO - employers have been taking the piss. Expectations of always on and blind loyalty. I don’t think the answer is downing tools at 5pm but neither is it acceptable that people work too 9pm and still have to catch up at the weekend with the implicit threat of no promotions or bonuses.

I did read the article, and I read your post too. They’re not the same groups of people. The phenomenon being described in the article doesn’t apply to the group of people you’re talking about.

The group of people you’re talking about are hardly announcing it on social media when they’re arriving at their desks, when they’re taking lunch, when they’re finished for the day, as if the online world is their parent, and they’re in kindergarten.

It’s not a new fad that’s sweeping the globe, it’s just become more apparent due to social media, but it’s been observed across industries since industrialisation.

To keep you happy, I am wrong and you are right 👍️

• Advertisement

It’s that same sort of passive aggressive shìtty behaviour has given rise to calling the latest emergence of the phenomenon “Quiet Quitting”, can they not just say “I’m not happy with my employment”.

I don’t expect them to say “I’m tired of this shìt and I want to quit but I can’t”, so “Quiet Quitting” it is, being packaged as something virtuous and brave, when it’s nothing more than trying to disguise their own laziness and lack of motivation.

Advertisement