Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Taste is a personal thing but beers made not to my taste are poor quality and horrible! Lol.

Look, I'm not a fan of English Ales, generally. If I was immature and insular, and unable to really understand beer, I might say they are things like - bland, watery, underhopped, grassy, undercarbonated, under attenuated, etc.

But I understand that there are many different styles of beer and they are not all to my taste. I accept that many beers which are not to my taste are well made examples of their stlye - just not for me.

This poster shows as much knowledge about beer as a Guinness drinker who thinks every other beer in the world is muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Why would you come on a craft beer thread just to troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I've beer drinking craft for over 20 years, and know little of the brewing process tbh!

The poster has been brewing for 40 years sand seems to know what they're on about.

fwiw they have a point, there are a good few sub par brews on the market.

The English style beers were the only ones available 40 or so years ago (i'd imagine) so it stands to reason that's the style they'd be into.

I vote with my wallet too, and tend to stick with my favorites, or with recommendations from people I trust.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The kids need taught a lesson from a real beer drinker, Macy. They need to know that coriander and orange peel are obscure ingredients, not the cornerstone of one Belgium's most famous beer styles. They need to know that Old Speckled Hen is still good even though Greene King ripped the heart out of it when they changed the recipe in 2006. Who will tell them these things? One who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,581 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He doesn't know what he is on about because he has that stupid attitude I used experience all the time where customers bitch and moan that their tropical DIPA is "off" or "end of the barrel mate" because it's cloudy.

It's just wrong. Not a matter of opinion or any of that because if you believe clarity is a sign of beer quality you are 100% wrong.

The "proper/real" ale vs craft ale is just an ideological load of absolute bllsht that is common in England. Just "virtue signaling" that your not some arty hipster.

And I've brewed beer too both cloudy and not with macro established breweries and craft breweries because it seems our CV is important to this argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Like I said, I know little of brewing techniques.

I've thankfully avoided the real ale debates so didn't pick up on that.

He had a more subtle point about craft re quality, that can't be argued tho as all you need to do is look at every other page where someone is giving a poor review or saying a previously great beer has dropped down in quality.

All i know is what i like. stouts and porters mostly, and some IPAs on a summers day..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Macy0161

But those obscure ingredients are hardly the staple of Irish Craft beer? They're generally limited run specials as far as I'm aware anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Well you did say you hadn't found a single top quality craft brewery yet. I just asked what was in the subscription, that meant there wasn't a single beer you liked.

I'm glad you are happy drinking the beers you want. But it seems like you have no time for anything that doesn't suit your antiquated palette. If you haven't found an Irish craft brewery yet that makes something you like, then you either aren't looking properly, or your tastes are too narrow minded.

The last paragraph is the important bit. Enjoy what you like and don't worry about the rest.

Every few weeks the craft beer threads get some lad "showing off" what a big proper man he is because he only drinks Heineken or Doombar or whatever.

I would never by a clan box because I don't like pastry beers, neipa/East Coast ipa etc or lager.

Or

I would never buy a clan box because White Hag don't know how to make proper beer.

Pick one

• Advertisement

I think White Hag often use these boxes to get rid of stuff that is so bad, it just doesn't sell. Maybe I'm just being cynical.

Same reason I would rarely buy these kind of mixed boxes. I'll buy, and drink, what I know I prefer.

I'll often try styles I know I generally don't like, in case I find something interesting. But I want to know I'm choosing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭JayRoc

The only thing worse than a craft beer bore is an anti-craft beer bore.

How do you know if someone doesn't like that modern muck and just wants a pint of proper beer?

Don't worry. They'll tell you

I remember infuriating conversations with a German guy who had a taste for lager (or whatever sub set of lager term he was using for his favoured lager).

He'd go on about how he liked, valued and appreciated craft beer and IPAs and such but sometimes (which was actually all the time) he just wants a "proper" beer. Drove me nuts!

Using the term, "proper" to describe your preferred style is real ass hat stuff.

Likewise a woman in a bar saying that while the stemless wine glass she was served her wine in was lovely, she does like a "proper" wineglass! Arrrgh! 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

take the bottle of IPA we had on Sunday, it was murky, no not bottle conditioned, suggesting he either didn't boil it hard enough or for long enough. 

Or you were drinking a New England IPA, and it was true to the style? No carrageen or isinglass would be used. No, not to my taste either, but that's the way NEIPAs are.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭flended12

Really interesting views here. What I fail to comprehend is those who dont like a certain beer summarise by the conclusion that the same drink is crap.

For me? I despise sours but just cos I dont like them doesnt mean that they are bad. Just not my taste.

I have a relation who will always pick the most expensive gin on the menu if Hendricks is not available. Is Hendricks bad? I dont know, is the most expensive gin better? Who knows.

Let people off to drink what they want but like religion and all the various movements we have going on....if you try to push your agenda on someone (in this case beer I dont like is **** beer) then you can **** off.

I don't understand that myself. I enjoy Hendricks, but would hate to stick religiously to it. And I'd look at the choices rather than just pick the most expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Tinter Box

Did anyone manage to get one of the extra white hag guest boxes? Back to school It’s called. I got the email at 8am but sold out by 10am on the day. Seems a bit odd it sold so fast.

I personally wouldn't trust buying something like that. Even though there's some nice breweries there.

Probably a few of these in the box too.

Never tried that but it has some pretty bad reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Oh god yeah, that was desperate. I pride myself on being able to at least finish almost any drink but that got fucked down the drain after a sip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

If its anything like the St Patrick's Day beer, it's awful.

Anyway, Bran and Sceolan back in stock so 2 cases on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

That was an auful auful beer but I do appreciate the attempt a small brewery made at a green beer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Bradleys have posted they've taken a delivery of Post Card Brew Co and Farrington Brewery.

The former I've seen here or there, the latter are totally new to me but their labels stand out from the rest.

Is there a consensus on the either of them?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Post Card is now based at Farrington's so it's essentially the same brewery. I've enjoyed most of what they've put out so far.

https://thebeernut.blogspot.com/2022/08/that-summer-in-dublin.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Gwinn

New poster here 👋 wasn't a fan myself, but generally speaking I do love what The White Hag has to offer. Ninth Wave being my particular favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ironically given that it's everyone's biggest whinge about WH, I can only recall getting one or two 330 pastry stouts in the Clann boxes in the last year.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Thanks. Your blog is where I had seen Post Card, but didn't realise the co-location with Farrington's. Appreciate it.

Some of the more expensive gins, Hendricks included, are terribly overpriced. The quality just doesn't justify the leap in price a lot of the time.

Gin Mare, Monkey 47, the blue Hendricks, Tanqueray 10, The Botanist etc. are all €45-55 per bottle. The Monkey 47 coming in 500ml bottles takes the absolute piss also. There's no way it's worth €110 per litre. Not when you've really decent gins that go on special all the time......

Ha'penny Dublin Gin, Plymouth, Tanqueray lime and orange variants, Gordon's lemon (regular Gordon's is muck but this is decent), Whitley Neil mango and lime are all really good for half the outlay.

Malfy blood orange is usually expensive but has been on special a lot recently. Getting this for under €30 is a real bargain.

Re: Craft Breweries: Was thinking of doing the Hope brewery tour. Has anyone done this? Is there any sort of a bar or taproom attached where you can try their range afterwards etc? Is it worth it?

Yeah, they have a bar setup there. I visited for the open day during the Summer. Well worth a look, and close enough to the Dart station to get to easily.

• Advertisement

Cheers bud. I'll give it a whirl so.

Advertisement