Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Gooser14

You are still getting 33% discount on the new unit price which is likely to be a better deal than paying the standard unit price being charged by your previous provider (assuming they didn't offer you a discount to stay with them}.

Cooling off period for online sign up is 14 days. Most providers charge €50 if you break the contract outside cooling off period.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah thats basically whats happened with Airtricity, I switched to them Monday with the 33% off discount on unit rates and by today they had walloped that out of the park with a 35% increase on electricity.

The cooling off period is 14 days so Im going to bide my time and see which other companies arrive with their price increases next week. I had a missed call from Energia today so they want my business back. I might even re-sign with them but then surf another 14 day cooling period and see the state of the market then. Whatever happens one thing is for certain, we're getting reamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭dinneenp

• Registered Users Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Same boat, literally just signed up for them from Electric Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

I agreed a new contract with Bord Gais for electricity about a month ago. During the week I received an email from them claiming that they made a mistake in their rates - the rate they gave me they say was wrong. They have now put me on a new much higher rate that I would never have agreed to. I have a screenshot of the rate I agreed to and signed up to. I have complained and am awaiting a response. What are my options? Surely they have to agree to the rate I signed up to? They made the mistake so why should should consumers have to suffer? They have given me €30 credit to apologise! I reckon this won’t cover a month of the new rate.. advise be grateful

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Dubstar07

Check out the CRU website and lodge a complaint. If they won’t stand over the original rate, then contract is null & void I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Need to switch. Being really lazy about this.

Thought airtricity was green energy or something.

What a joke.

The whole switching every 12 months thing is like a circus, but we clowns have to participate. Bullshit to be a"loyal" customers.

I don't drive much and have had 2 second hand cheap cars between me and my partner over our lives. Fly very rarely. I've done my green bit.

Being loyal, green, prudent is a joke here. Best to burn baby burn and get lots of cheap credit.

The entire system is based on bad debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

Thanks, I have already done that. I am awaiting a response from bord gais which they have 10 days to do. Joke..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭KildareP

Double whammy for me, got the same rate error email from BGE after signing in June. Corrected rates are exhorbitant and when I complained they released the contract term on me as electricity contracts are variable rate contracts (to be honest it would have paid to pay the €50 break fee but feck them making any more money off me).

Switched to SSE during the week who were only about 1c more in the difference of BGE "incorrect rates" and now those SSE rates are going to be as bad as the correct BGE ones!

At this stage, Electric Ireland's 24-hr smart tariff is far cheaper overall compared to the mad day and peak rates of BGE or SSE without the hassle of having to shift usage around to night hours (joined up thinking there) and my hope is EI hiked rates recently so although I suspect another hike it won't be to the same extent as BGE or SSE.

Holding off reverting to a day/night meter as supposedly they are starting to migrate day/night meters onto smart meters shortly - wait and see how that pans out as smart to day/night is free but apparently going back to smart again is not...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

When does the cooling off period start? Is it the day you sign up on bonkers or the day you get the official docs to show it’s switched?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭breeno

I'm a month or so in with Airtricity so I'm outside of the cooling off period. Given the rises should I consider sucking up the exit fee and go somewhere cheaper? Obviously other companies will increase too but I'd hope not as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I've done all that. Been switching every year for years. Literally cannot find a better deal than my current one. The best I can find is €112 more.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

The Energia EV plan (not at all clear you have to have an EV) is by far the best deal for anyone who sees further price rises on the horizon. €0.27 day and €0.079 night including VAT. And those unit rates are fixed for the duration of the contract. In a context of 35% increases that can be imposed at any time, it’s a no brainer.

I have no connection with Energia other than as a customer.

Would it be better then to cancel the switch and wait and see what happens with other providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I don't get you. How is it only officially a 5% increase since Jan 1st, 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭zell12

There have been five separate SSE price increases since January 2021. These are the previous four

He, I just looked over my aitricity switch deal and I was going to cancel but

electricity 20.42 versus my current with BG is 30.34

Gas 6.04 versus my current with BG is 9.02

Even with a 40% increase the rates would be lower then my current rate.

Am I missing something? Do we think all other providers will push up their rates which sort of still makes this offer worthwhile?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Moving2017

I’ve found this across a Lot of companies. The rate for a smart tariff during the day is a good bit more than the standard rates which negates any potential benefit of cheaper rates at other times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I found the same re smart meters, the old meter plans are better unless you do a lot at night eg EV charging.

I note on bonkers that after SSE increase, they're not a lot more than bge which is cheapest at mo

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Even though the Bonkers listing for SSE says they've taken the 1 October price rise into account, the rates they are showing don't reflect that, only the annual cost. After 1 October the 33% discounted day rate is €0.33/kWh. The night rate is €0.2048/kWh. In other words not competitive until everyone else puts up their rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

You should hold tight on Airtricity until the week before the actual 35% increase comes in to effect (October 1st). By that point all the other companies will have put up their prices too and you can see if there are any better deals about. Then do the maths on your annual usage and figure out if paying the 50 euro contract exit fee is worth it to go elsewhere for cheaper unit rates. If you're an above average user it likely will be with the only caveat being that we could see another round of price increases in January or at least that is what they are predicting will happen in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I just kicked off a switch 2 days ago to SSE and I'm now gonna cancel the move with their 14 day cooling off period. Will stay with Electric Ireland and shift to a different tariff with them and see what others do with rates.

It will be interesting to see whether EI offer you anything other than their standard 5.5% discount. Keep us informed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

But no one (should) be on those rates, the smart meter plan is discounted by 33%. I'm on it and it's quiet good if you can get your washer/dryer/dishwasher on the go before 08:00 or after 23:00. But the new peak rate is bonkers, even with the 33% discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

My energy supplier advised me to stay on 24 hour . Smart meter does have cheaper units from midnight to around 7am. But nobody in our house is going to stay up all night to use washer , dryer , dishwasher , boil kettles , cook in the oven .

So smart meter is useless to us and mainly used only for automatic meter readings .

But the Smart Meter day & night unit rates are higher than the day & night unit rates with the standard Day/Night meter. However, the Smart Meter standing charge is lower.

With my usage figures the Smart Meter plans work out dearer than the standard Day/Night meter charges notwithstanding the difference in standing charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Almost half the amendments of R Troy. Impressive

Advertisement