Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old vintage Brno 22 wanted

Options
  • 22-08-2022 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Looking for an older possibly vintage Brno 22 ,if anyone knows where there is a nice example for sale . advice welcome on what model might be the better one to look for ?,mod 2/mod 1 etc

Post edited by Cass on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭like to hunt

Mod 2. Try John Lambert camolin Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pg339

The model 5 is a great classic rifle. It has the model 1 barrel with the model 2 action. I have one and the build quality is top class, as are all of the original Brno's prior to CZ.

https://www.emma-rifles.co.uk/product/brno-22-rf-bolt-action-model-5-rifle/

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭nova23

Looks ideal

Can you post a pic of the mod 5

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭JP22

Brno Model 5's (ZKM573) are fantastic little rifles.

Heres a pic of one I done up in lockdown 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

Ardee Sports Company had a number of Brnos in their showroom last time I was over. might be worth a look.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭clivej

O'Hallaran in Drangan had an old 452 LUX in stock. They had 2 but my friend bought one

That's a Beauty , did u polish the metal work as what did you use to do that

• Advertisement

Thanks, yes a great rifle. Lightweight and very accurate to shoot. I had the metalwork re blued (rust blued) by my local gunsmith and refinished the stock myself. I don't oil the metalwork on my rifles, I use Renaissance wax and buff it to a shine. Apply a light coating every year.

My late 1940's Brno TGF (pre model 1) another fine rifle.

I prefer the older rifles to new modern ones, great craftsmanship in days of old.

I’ll probably sell my Model 5 later on in the year when I have a suitable replacement found.

CillDara Hunting has/had a Brno Model 2 and a CZ 452 – 2E in stock a while ago, give the new owner (Neil) a buzz if you’re interested.

If you can’t find a Brno to your liking don’t forget about early CZ rifles made from 1972 to about 1976, i.e. CZ542 – 2E’s (basically a Brno in sheep’s clothing).

Back in the day, the Czech Government closed the Brno plant and it officially transferred to CZ around 72.

It’s reported that some Brno smiths were kept on to about 76/77 to teach and supervise CZ smiths. Early CZ rifles made between 72 to 76/77 were made by CZ, stamped CZ but made with mostly Brno parts and overseen by Brno smiths, hence the quality of early CZ's.

100% genuine Brno rifles are marked "ZBROJOVKA BRNO N.P.” or “Narodnf Ppodnik” (“National Enterprise”) and have a 16mm dovetail rail.

CZ Rifles are marked "BRNO ARMS Czechoslovakia" and have an 11mm dovetail rail.

If u were going for a mod 2 ,what year/years is the one to go for or is there much difference

Not at me PC but from memory.

Brno Model 2's started in 1956.

Around 1967, production was switched to CZ U.Brod, rifles were made with Brno parts overseen by Brno smiths, rifles stamped "BRNO." 

Around 1974, CZ began making the model 2 (452) themselves with no Brno involvement.

Purists say older is better so from 56 to 67 is preferred.

I'll post a link to all things Brno / CZ later tonight.

Correction to my last lads, memory loss……..🙄, happens us all.

Brno Model 2’s started ten years earlier than I stated, should have been 1946.

What info I have gathered on Brno is attached as a pdf.

I also have manuals for Model 2, 4 and 5 if any member wants a copy.

Here’s the link I promised lads for all things Brno and CZ, you cannot mention one with the other.

You’ll need a comfy chair, lots of liquid refreshment and plenty of time.

Another for Brno experts .did some model 2 ' s come threaded for moderator from factory or not .looking at 70s and 80s models

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

I'd really appreciate a manual for the Model 2, please.

I've had mine for years, and swear by - robust, and super accurate, up to circa 100 yards.

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement

Hi Nova.

I’m far from a Brno expert; I only have one Brno and one Match 54 and being retired have time on hand to research them. I also believe that anyone owning a firearm show know it “inside-out”, “upside-down” and “backwards”, history helps.

To the best of my knowledge, Brno and other older manufactures never factory threaded any of their rifles. Craftsmen of old would recoil in horror at the idea of cutting a barrel and spoiling the lines of a classic rifle.

I think moderators only appeared in numbers when manufactures started selling/labelling rifles as “Varmint Models”, possible late 80’s onwards.

There are plenty of CZ 452’s out there threaded, I would hazard a guess that some early CZ made ZKM-452's (1977 to late 80’s/90’s+) especially later ones came factory threaded, especially varmint models.

Information is out there – you just have to let it in.

Hi G.

No problem, here you go.

Manual is for a CZ made Brno ZKM 452, it’s basically a copy of the original Brno M2 (ZKM 452).

Totally agree, for their age, Brno Mods 1 to 5 are hard/near impossible to beat, and will out shoot lots of modern rifles. It’s craftsmanship of old.

JP

Information is out there – you just have to let it in.

How hard is a model 1 to find over here

Like looking for hen's teeth.

I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭garrettod

Many thanks JP

Thanks,

G.

Advertisement