Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet Quitting - the new “great resignation”

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,259 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Unless you get bonuses or performance linked remuneration. You're getting paid to do the bare minimum.

If your co-workers get annoyed because you won't work for free. They need to cop on and smell the coffee.

Going the extra mile and/or being flexible works both ways. You want me to come in early or stay late. Then I want to be able to go early, leave early with the same frequency if be it suits. quid pro quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I wonder if someone with experience was hired instead of graduates would you get a better result? I hate the education snobbery that exists where people are looking for graduates and ignoring the people who have the experience but not the piece of paper to say they went to college. Especially in the IT sector. Anyway that would be another thread.

Alot of this working late is down to time management and people not being able to do the job. I have a rule that I won't start a new task after 3.30 I will leave it till the next day. The hour and a half at the end of the day is left to reviewing work, answering emails or catching up on some training.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,049 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Every job is different. To generalise like this and then rail against that is silly. I've worked some shiatty jobs in my life, I've also worked good jobs, there is a universe of difference and it's not all down to sheer compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

From an employer point of view the introduction of TOIL in one company was maybe the best move I ever made, I couldn’t believe we got the workers to go along with it. They started working unsocial hours for no real benefit to them, whereas before they were paid double time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Interesting to hear an employer side of it.

What would happen if all of your employees said we will no longer would for time in lieu? Overtime rates or we only work normal hours.

Or is time in lieu written into their contracts?

• Advertisement

I thought TOIL or getting paid for OT were choices for the employee. I know any job I worked these was the options. Sometimes I prefer the TOIL because I'm not going to lose half the OT payment in tax and other times I take payment if stuck or looking to buy something. I didn't realise some companies were only offering TOIL.

Most definitely some only offer toil. Imagine not being told that during interview either

That is shocking. It was always an employee choice for me. Have you heard the new crap companies are now pulling instead of giving employees an amount of days they can take during the year they are now saying we are giving those days instead you can take as much time off which sounds great till you go to take the time off and you find you can't get it

It is now, yeah, but you can’t really make someone do it in practice. Basically we’d have to start paying overtime if they got organised and refused to do extra hours without pay, at the moment if someone says they’re not going working any particular evening there’s nothing we can do about it. Tbf I think they are treated fairly well in most ways, turnover isn’t too bad.

One young guy quit a few months after OT went. He told his manager he’d got a €15 pay rise but had made around 120 per week on OT. His manager came to me in a flap about it. I told him it was inevitable and the young fella was showing a bit of cop on and I knew some people would leave.

But to come back to the topic, quiet quitting makes an awful lot of sense, and to me it’s an extension of how society is turning. You see it politically. SF economic policies have been batsh1t for at least 20 years, but they’re the most popular party now because the policies come from a place of sympathy with the ordinary person, rather than big business.

Working conditions in general started to suit employers too much compared to workers, a backlash was needed, but what’s happening the last couple of years is surprisingly dramatic. Huge exoduses from lots of sectors.

I haven't heard of that. Does employment law in Ireland not supercede something a company could invent?

Ie employees are entitled to minimum number of annual leave days in a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

I think quiet quitting is brilliant i left a job in 2018 and the company replaced me with 2 people, as i was a hard worker and got all tasks completed those 2 workers are now gone & they have 3 people to do the job i was doing as one. Covid was a relief for me i have had the rest i needed and wont ever work like that again.

I applaud all younger people who do this and respect their time and family commitments. At the end of the day 90% of people hate what they do each & every day only a certain few will rise to the top and the cogs will keep the wheel turning for bullying middle managers . With quiet quitting the middle manager gets the bollockings for not making targets so its doubly effective .

Quiet quitting rocks !!

What do rich people do most of the day they travel enjoy life post pictures on yachts and how can they do this because there is a great supply of good hard working people like you who believe in "career". Once upon a time it was a great career to be a barrister now ther is a glut of them same with solicitors journos there is a glut of everything so career is meaningless ! All that matters in life is peace and family and money is not the be all & end all. Career is another ideal foisted on the slaves, closely followed by a degree is not enough, you need a masters & a PHD to work anywhere. . Too many people too many degrees knocking around. I actually heard of a guy with a masters apply to be a kennel hand recently, do a trade and be your own master !

Its happening in the States at the moment called Unlimited holidays, companies like Netflix are offering it. Was over in the States during the summer and was speaking to some folks about it and they all said yeah it sounded great but basically its a con, like the free food in the office and all that crap, What they don't say is that it is up to the manager to give you that time off and as there are no set days in the contract they don't have to give the holidays.

For me this "Quiet Quitting" is just the employees taking back some control from the employer. Lets face since the recession some employers have basically taken the p*ss with employees getting them to work longer with the treat of the company folding if they don't and then as someone else mentioned above the complete and utter lack of loyalty to employees from employers basically just a number on the spreadsheet. I never understood those people that put the company first before all else, have seen it where these people are organising the company night out and are given a budget and instead of looking to spend the budget they are seeing how much they can hand back and then they get the shock of the lives when the company comes along and makes them redundant and they just can't believe it. I think it is going to get tougher for employers now and they wont be able to scrimp on paying staff and offering other benefits especially when you have the likes of Mick Lynch spelling it out what employers have been doing. Those days are coming to an end. For me I will work hard during my hours and if I need to work overtime to finish a task or get a project over the line then I will do it but they will be rare occasions, most of the time I will look to get my work done during my contracted hours.

Answer to Sunny : I worked this hard because i had a category that was international had to align my day with different time zones deal in 2 other languages besides english & make a profit without any waste i was an international food buyer with the perishable categories i did it for almost 15 years. I made a load of profit every year there were no bonuses just hampers from all over the world from suppliers but real burn out stuff. There was a team of about 10 and not one of them is still there all gone burned out to a crisp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Anyone with any sense already does this. Some companies will run you ragged and expect after hours work for no pay. You can be sure they don't give you a cut from any profits derived from all the free man hours from all the staff.

Did you know this going into the job when you first joined? I think a lot of people getting caught up in over working because it creeps up on them. They start off doing some tasks and then they find they have some free time so ask if they anything they can do to help or go to the manager and ask for an extra task to fill the spare time and before the person knows they are killing themselves with the work. I know some people love this and makes them feel important but all that is happening is that they are seen as the work dump, what ever needs to be done give it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Another bullshit PR/Marketing term for something that has gone on since the dawn of time perhaps with the intention of attempting to guilt people into doing more than they should.

The thing with work is, it's just that, work. Great if it's something you enjoy but work can be a slog. Marketing and PR has ruined people's expectations of jobs over the past few decades. Terms like 'exciting opportunity' ' groundbreaking role' unique role' etc totally oversell what jobs really are.

Not everyone is gonna enjoy their job but it's a means to an end, despite all the BS.

The thing with people is they often have lots going on outside of work which impacts on their ability to do the job, do more in the job or just get the job done in their first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

Yes, I knew that one might cause confusion because getting it very much depends on what kind of climate you’re from :D

Let’s say it originates from the region where the best part of the year is warm or at least not remarkably cold, it’s pretty consistently sunny, summers are traditionally scorching. So it’s not Northern Europe, anyway! (Although climate change, something something…)

People don’t like to work under the scorching sun. It means you sweat much more, and all that. So it’s better to enjoy one donut (less money) with less work and strain (in the shade), than get two donuts (more money) for more work (in the sun).

I heard the saying from a second generation Danish immigrant from the Balkans, and it’s stayed with me as I think there is deffo truth in it regarding the mentality of the people. So take that for what you will! :)

Isn't this what the "right to disconnect" is all about?

I honestly don't see anything wrong in an employee signing off at the end of their work day and not signing backng on again until the next worki day (though filming yourself slamming your computer closed and posting it online seems a bit silly to me).

I was once one of those who'd still be working long after I was due to stop to "get things done" but I've put a stop to that now, as my family were complaining that all I did was work, and as it was from home, there was no disconnect. And you definitely get no thanks or recognition for it. Now I put the office laptop away at 5:30/6pm and I'm done for the day / weekend. No more "I'll just check this.. "and 2 hours have passed by.

Anyone who schedules a meeting before 9am or after 5pm gets a polite decline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

You get paid to do a job. If you do the job your employer has no right to expect you to be answering emails or whatever when you're off the clock. Work-life balance was much healthier before people were contactable 24/7, people need to be able to actually detach from their job on their own time. Some companies are even enforcing this themselves. If they want you available they need to pay you for it. Helping out a bit from time to time is different, but only if your employer is relaxed and giving something back too. If a company can't afford to compensate workers for their time the company doesn't deserve to be in business.

And with regards to people talking about loyalty to the company: Loyalty goes both ways and anyone who thinks the average large company will take a financial hit out of loyalty to employees is deluded. There will always be people who swallow the "we're all a family here" bullshit and beg for the scraps from the master's table. You meet these people all the time, they'll wear how much their company exploits them like a badge of honour and berate others for wanting to live outside their job, spend time with their kids or whatever. There's no virtue in being played.

Of course, none of this applies to small businesses where everyone knows everyone and the business owner/manager doesn't just see employees as names (or numbers) on a spreadsheet.

Its not railing again anything. Its simply an exchange of time and skills for money. If you want to do as a vocation for free thats great. But thats not what this is about. Employers complaining about "quiet quitting" is really about employees going the extra mile, especially during COVIF, then finding out all the great promises of future rewards will never happen, and thus stopped being taken for fools.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me

After being tricked once, one should learn from one's mistakes and avoid being tricked in the same way again.

Yes its not new. Most people go through this realisation after a few years of work experience under their belts.

Its like insisting people be at their desks 9~5.30. But also wanting stuff done at 7am or 7pm.

Pick one.

There's no such thing as "quiet quitting" it's just a new validation term created for the age old problem of someone who is unhappy with their job.

Being unhappy in a job is not always automatically linked to pay, people can be unhappy for a wide variety of reasons. The best advice is to get a job elsewhere. However doing the "bare minimum" as some form of passive aggressive protest doesn't really benefit that person in any way. I've witnessed this type of malicious compliance a few times and it generally leads to issues for that individual or some form of burn-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If an employer is willing to return the goodwill and you're getting paid for the work you put in working to rule is just being awkward, and like you say someone is better off in a different job. But I think this "quiet quitting" term is being thrown around by employers who are lashing out because they can't squeeze more worth out of their employees. When an employer talks about how people are lazy or nobody wants to work anymore all I see are red flags, warnings that it's a **** place to work.

Malicious compliance with "bare minimum"

Sounds people have run out of snake old trying hold people when paying the bare minimum and offerings spartan terms and conditions.

Its not about the money = its so about the money.

I have no idea why you keep generalising. If someone is unhappy with their work/conditions/boss/pay/etc then they should leave, that's the best advice. If they want to stay in the job but do the "bare minimum" or "quiet quitting" or whatever, right, but there's no real benefit to it.

Leave the job. That sends the strongest message.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Interesting segment on Bobby Kerr's Newstslk show on this. You can still get the podcast. He came across as a real prick of a boss outraged that his staff would only do what he paid them to do. The poor HR expert he was interviewing didn't know what to say and clearly wanted to back out of this interview as swiftly as possible.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a place that watches the clock but has no performance metrics.

Advertisement