Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

You're from America are you not? I don't know if you got your visa because you're married to an Irish person but that's neither here nor there. When you moved to my country I guarantee you had to show you could support yourself.

Or are you living in a house with plenty of space? As a non national you would be better placed than most to take in refugees

• Registered Users Posts: 24,915 ✭✭✭✭zell12

100%. Do what the people of Finglas did when 200 immigrant males were put in a disused building ! When the power of their local protest got media attention (and it did!) those immigrants were swiftly moved. The Government will get away with whatever the Irish citizens let them away with. Donegal people need to do something similar immediately about this!

tensions are definitely boiling at this stage. There have been protests in Wexford and Kildare this week and also Finglas recently .. Donegal will be next. People are finally waking up and getting a voice. We are being screwed while Leo and MM are smirking their way to the EU!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Absolutely. They're meant to moving in within the next week. So something has to be done soon. Why should 17 Irish families that are struggling with housing lose out?And they're probably on the housing list for years. That's not fair at all. We have a huge problem and our government are refusing to acknowledge and do anything about it and they can't be inviting people in like this and then skip over our own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Agreed. Unfortunately, Ukrainians will become the target of that ire. Whilst I do believe that a significant % of them in Ireland are here for spurious reasons, the anger of the Irish people should be directed at this appalling government.

Weak, rudderless, lack of principles, zero planning, committing to an uncapped influx, undermining their own electorate. The list is endless. History will judge individuals like Martin, Varadkar, Coveney, McEntee, and O’Gorman very harshly.

In the meantime, local people should continue to exercise their democratic right to voice their objections. Protest if they see this contemptible political class shafting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I can almost predict the response to this post.

It will go something like:

Who are ‘our own’? I don’t want to be associated with you, something, something, wibble, wibble.

As someone who came very close to ending up homeless earlier in the year, I'd gladly move to Donegal for a roof over my head. But no seems me and every other Irish aren't all that important.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Absolutely . The Government made a commitment and dumped the admin on a very ill equipped RC . From day one a task force should have set up like they did for Covid with Experts in charge of the sourcing of shelter , advising on benefits and everything to do with refugees needs .

Maybe then we wouldn’t be in this mess with refugees having more disposable income than our own unemployed and most pensioners . Depite some are in hotels with three meals and no bills they still get full benefits and have a nice disposable income . While low income families struggling to meet the kids needs and she this happening it’s causing anger to bubble up which is very understandable

• Registered Users Posts: 24,915 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Something similar happened in 2016, when Syrian refugees were given local authority accommodation. Syrians were allocated housing after 3 months in an 'orientation centre' (hotel)

It’s understood that the Syrian family in question attempted to move into a vacant local authority house in the town yesterday and were met with a protest outside that house. The family was subsequently moved by county council officials to another property in the area.

“They are protesting because a vacant house, which has been vacant for some time, is being occupied by a Syrian family when some of their own family members have been on the list for ages, years, and haven’t been housed,” said local councillor Michael Kilcoyne.

• Advertisement

I knew there was a similar story but couldn't find it.

This one stinks though, it's 17 houses and not one.

I don't see many of the usual Mother Teresas on here this morning! People could see this train wreck coming months ago, we just weren't naive about it.

I absolutely detested the preferential treatment being shown to Ukrainians from day 1, especially given the state the country is in. We have enough people suffering as it is.

“The majority of residents said they did not have an issue with the presence of Ukrainian refugees, but instead take issue with placing them in an area with issues ranging from sewage to flooding problems, concerns about garda vetting, antisocial behaviour fears, and concerns about the proposed development encroaching on green space.”

From the same report.

Is every resident if every property in Ireland Garda vetted? How can displaced people, fleeing war be Garda vetted?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

there's suffering and there's suffering...........don't see any parts of Ireland being constantly shelled do you? bit of perspective wouldn't go amiss

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's still early on a Sunday morning - give it time.

You're dead right though. I was calling it out at the start and as it's gotten worse over the last 6 months, and it was clear to anyone with a bit of sense and objectivity that the "come one, come all" approach was unsustainable and would result very quickly in major problems given the issues we already had in the areas these new arrivals would be most dependent on - housing, health, welfare, education/training and employment.

I've also been saying for a while now that continuing to support this is supporting Irish people being treated as second class citizens in our own country. Others said of course this wouldn't happen but as we've seen from the newspaper articles that have been posted, that's exactly what's happening as the needs of these Ukrainian arrivals are being put ahead of the needs of the rest of us.

Unfortunately though we have also imported this Americanised culture of virtue signalling, narcissism and polarisation on any so-called controversial issues and too many of the Irish (who instinctively NEED to fit in, be validated or on the perceived right side of the topic) have lapped it up - which is why we have posters here, on Twitter and elsewhere cheering on this approach regardless of the damage and friction it's now causing to our communities.

As a people we really need to grow up and stand up for ourselves when the situation calls for it. Anonymous Twitter posters or even the EU leadership don't give a toss about what happens in Ireland (most probably couldn't even find it on a map), and our own supposed leaders have equally abandoned the majority in favour of more of this grandstanding and virtue signalling (Leo and McEntee in particular - but again, nothing new about that to anyone who was watching). The consequences of this will not be felt by anyone else except those same communities who are now being dramatically expanded without consultation or warning, and they are consequences that will be felt for years and decades to come.

Charity is all well and good, but it must be proportionate to the resources available, and it must not be at the expense of citizens and communities who rely and depend on those same resources. Don't forget either that we already give away hundreds of millions of Euro annually in foreign aid programmes as well (even in the height of the financial crisis/recession which was insanity).

I have no problem with calling all this out because I care not about the opinions of randomers on the Internet, nor am I so thin skinned as to be offended by being called xenophobic or racist or whatever by others trying to show how virtuous they are. I care about the impact of all this on OUR country, OUR communities, OUR future and the future of my son and the Ireland he'll inherit, and what supports and opportunities he'll have to build a life for himself and maybe his own family.

If that upsets some who want to complain about us "doing more" or sticking their heads in the sand when the very real problems become more serious and louder then so be it! We have done enough. It's time to start putting this recent and unexpected and amazing initiative and speed to solving our own problems before we take on any more of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

That would mean you actually engaging with homeless people, but sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119532071#Comment_119532071 There was an error displaying this embed.

This actually does sound like a variation on the NIMBY argument used elsewhere for planning applications, i.e. no issue with this and fully support the concept but put it in someone else's backyard.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

You see, this is where you completely misread the room. From what I can see, there is no anti-Ukrainian crowd. There is however, an anti-weak government crowd and rightly so.

There is, quite rightly, an anti-government crowd. I won't go on an anti-FFG rant, but I think I've already made my position on them fairly clear. Suffice it to say there's a very clear reason there's a housing crisis, and they're it.

There is, however, an anti-Ukrainian crowd. They'd be the ones repeatedly posting on the thread about them driving big cars, being rude to their granny in shops, pushing past them in queues, lazing about on the beach, and the many, many posts about them all only being welfare tourists.

I do have perspective...I never said we should rehouse Ukrainians, just provide temporary accommodation to a smaller amount that this country can manage. Also to have a very clear and concise short to medium plan. That is not happening. Biting off more than you can chew is not the answer.

What is happening now is criminal. A displacement of one set of people to rehouse another. It's Senseless.

Let's keep going around the world and looking for problems because we won't be long finding them and bringing them here. Where will it end!?

Calling people names is a fair indication of why most just don't bother. There are pure out and out venting threads on Boards and this is just one of them. It moves quickly, drips of vitriol and insults, and is largely incoherent most of the time but it helps people get stuff out and that must be a good thing.

• Advertisement

There was a quite successful Rural Resettlement Scheme running up to a few years ago, but the funding was cut by FFG ,and I think it's died a death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

Hmm, paddy may soon be getting another influx. The wheels are coming off the government policy on this at a rate of knots, they've a month or so left at this madness.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/28/50000-ukrainian-refugees-in-uk-facing-homelessness-disaster-next-year-homes-for-ukraine

That article actually says.

... fears are mounting that the government’s Homes for Ukraine scheme will unravel next month when refugees’ initial six-month placements with hosts end without alternative accommodation in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

They'll be along in a while to play insult you bingo. I wonder what today's winning number will be? I'm guessing these are todays top 3 contenders

1. You are a Trumper
    2. The far right has gotten into you're head
    3. You support Putin by voicing concerns

Tune in later to find out today's winning number and don't forget to drop into that church for a new set of pearls to clutch.

The newspaper that published that article is local to the Milford area and only publishes once per week on a Thursday. The main papers in Donegal have absolutely no mention of it, nothing about it online anywhere. Which is very strange as one of the main papers Donegal daily is like the daily mail with the nonsense it posts on its website like drunk man kicks over sign.

You’d think something like that would gather traction especially considering the current climate with the cost of living crisis, accommodation shortage etc. Houses assigned for those most in need of help in country pulled from underneath them in a blink of an eye but no absolute radio silence.

When the governments own report from months ago warned about the threat to social cohesion I’m sure removing 17 social houses assigned for people on waiting lists for years at the last minute to give to Ukrainians instead would be at the very top of the list as a potential trigger point for that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

Government ads during COVID kept the lights on at a lot of local papers as a lot of the usual advertisers were closed.

I think it's a foregone conclusion at this stage that we are going into a recession, so local advertiser's will be cutting back again. No point peeing off your biggest customer pointing out the word on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Didn't realise that she actually sent letters out to locals.

It is quite noticeable how Sinn Fein and the INAR groups behave differently depending on who the migrants are. If the people were African or Middle Eastern, the government funded INAR groups will be sending people out to counter protest and Sinn Fein, PBP etc will be out there to confront the locals. That letter most certainly wouldn't have been sent out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭slay55

Yes

most of the staff are from Northern Ireland too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement