Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sophie: A Murder in West Cork - Netflix.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

But one doesn't know if the lights were off because they weren't on in the first place or if they off because they were turned off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

True. But id they were turned off it was the killer that did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If, and not necessarily. It could have been early morning after daybreak and either the killer, an accomplice or Sophie turned off light(s) or it could have een during the night and light(s) turned off by the killer or an accomplice to avoid drawing attention in the morning.

Without evidence to support one possibility over another I wouldn't jump to any concusions.

Ok, fair enough. I wonder was there fingerprints taken on the light switch?

But still it doesn't prove who did it in a court of law.

i did not say it did

Even if Bailey was burning a coat behind the studio, and the buttons were the only thing left, it still doesn't prove he did it.

it is circumstantial evidence

• Advertisement

I think it said on another thread that Alfie's wife could see sophie's outside light and that Sophie always left it on. I cannot remember if it said she saw it that night, i don't think so. I'm not going rooting through that big thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Shirley foster reported seeing Sophie's outside light on as she was preparing for bed on Sun night. This light was outside Sophie's back door on the Western gable, and was usually left on when Sophie was about. The light was off in the morning when the body was discovered as were all the lights in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭sekiro

I think it suits AGS for this case to still be a "who dunnit" in the minds of the public with people quibbling over whether or not lights were on or off and what time was the sunrise in some kind of attempt to "solve" the case. AGS have ensured that this case will never be solved and any writer or documentary maker interested in the case will need to keep AGS sweet so that they can have access for interviews etc.

Every single step of the way on this case AGS took the wrong course of action. From not following up on witnesses and sightings to somehow losing a damn gate.

There's a murder in the local area. A woman admits she was driving in the vicinity of the murder at the approximate time of the murder and that she had someone else in the car with her. Yet somehow AGS are never able to find out who that person was to interview them. MF has chopped and changed her story over time and had plenty of opportunity to say she was just in the car alone and yet she insists she was not alone in the car but she also just can't reveal who was in the car with her just driving around the locale of a murder scene at the time of the murder. Could she not say "actually I was alone in the car" because that witness might someday come forward and undermine the Kealfadda Bridge sighting or because that witness might one day provide some other evidence that implicates someone else and destroys the cases against IB? The mystery passenger is such a strange thing and is a real sticking point for me in this case. How is it possible that AGS were told repeatedly about an individual in the area of a murder at the time of the murder but they somehow just couldn't get statements from that person?

Similarly with the alleged sighting of another man in the car with Sophie when she got petrol. We've got an unknown individual close to the victim at the time of the murder but AGS don't seem eager to follow this one up too closely either. Again, because it would ruin the case against IB if we have to introduce another suspect who was seen in Cork with Sophie but apparently not mentioned by anyone in France?

Sure, there is every chance that IB actually did this but I would say more that the real story is the absolutely disgraceful behavior of AGS in how they dealt with the case. Yet nobody who writes the books or films the documentaries seems to concerned about holding AGS to account. I think the Netflix documentary didn't even mention the Bandon tapes.

The Gardai are on tape admitting to wanting to take sections out of statements and saying "Yeah, he has to get f***ing that statement has to get f****ing chopped up anyway" and all but admitting that they have some kind of conspiring going on with the Farrells but the documentaries are focusing on how the mist at Three Castle Head is spooky and that Sophie's friends in France had premonitions and another assorted rubbish.

I guess though if anyone was too critical of AGS then they'd struggle to get proper access for their projects so it's "they lost a gate LOL what are they like?"

It's convenient for AGS to have Sophie's family and the French justice people convinced that IB is the murderer because it completely distracts from the fact that they completely botched this investigation from start to finish. At every opportunity when there was an exact wrong thing to do that's precisely what AGS did. A good question would be if they did it all on purpose or if they were just that incompetent.

If they were so convinced that IB did it then it's possible that a philosophy of "the ends justify the means" has actually led to a situation where IB can never be found guilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭tibruit

The petrol station sighting was a red herring. The times don`t reconcile and even allowing for the witness being wrong about that, he also said the car had no hub caps but Sophie`s did. He was also unsure about the date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So you think the Gardai are to be blamed for not being able to track down Farrell's mystery man?

Even though Farrell herself sent them on numerous wild goose chases with names of a dead man that she got from a gravestone and a Taekwondo teacher.

And when asked in court under oath to name the person she walked out.

But you think the failure to find out who they were is the Gardai's fault?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭sekiro

Is there nothing she could have been charged with to "encourage" her to give up the identity of the mystery witness?

Just seems weird that we have an unknown man in the area of the murder at the time of the murder but for some reason we just can't find out who that was because the person he was driving around with won't cooperate with the investigation.

"Hi I was out at the location of the murder with a man that evening."

Oh another witness and maybe even potential suspect. Certainly someone we'd need to speak with ASAP. OK who was he?

"Ah well I can't be telling you that now!"

Oh, OK, well I guess we'll never know. Let's all move on.

But the Gardai didn't say "Oh, OK, well I guess we'll never know. Let's all move on."

They tried and tried to get the name off her.

She wasted Garda time giving them names that were totally false.

Listen to the West Cork podcast.

There is an exerpt from the Bandon Tapes where the Gardai are at their wits end with Farrell and her refusal to name the man.

And in my opinion she will not name him because he doesn't exist.

On the night of the murder she was tucked up in bed, and never driving around with a mystery man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Many things she could have been & should have been charged with, perverting the course of an investigation/justice, wasting garda time. But the not only the gards drop the ball with this, the judge aswell, she should have been charged with Perjury & contempt of court. No doubt she wouldnt have been long in talking then & we could have finally found who this mystery individual was in the car with her that night or if she was even out at all. Instead she was rewarded with her husband getting off on assault charges & obtaining a house for half nothing which she subsequently sold for alot of money because the gards wanted to stitch up Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Banjo Carney

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭flanna01

Nail on the head here.....

An attention seeker caught wasting Police time, in probably one of the country's biggest high profile murders, gets coerced to support the stitching up of an Irish Citizen to save her own skin..

When the hound bites the hand that feeds it, mass panic ensues... The stooge must be gagged.

All pending criminal charges against the Family are dropped, and a massive house gifted for half nothing to ensure the mouth stays shut.

Ultimately, Maria 'Fiona' Farrell made a killing out of the Sophie Du Plantier murder. To this day, if anybody in the Country really knows what went on behind the scenes that time, it's Maria Farrell (Or Fiona... what ever you like..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭nc6000

Also why weren't Marie and whoever was with her considered suspects? By her own admission they were near the scene of the murder during the night.

All pending criminal charges against the Family are dropped, and a massive house gifted for half nothing to ensure the mouth stays shut.

People on boards dot ie are always preoccupied with other people getting houses.

Travellers, refugees, people on the dole.

You can't move on this site for the people giving out about other people getting free houses.

And now it has extended to Maire Farrell.

She lives hundreds of miles from Schull, she can never return, she has ruined so many aspects of her life and her families life.

I'd say a house is scant consolation to her.

If you dont like the site, jog on somewhere else.

No one on this thread is preoccupied with either travellers, refugees or people on the dole. Stop trying to make this thread political. People are concerned that a foreign visitor/tourist was murdered in an extremely violent way & the gards have been able to come up with diddly squat.

You're making excuses for someone who definitely took the investigation in an erroneous way. Some one who has lied consistently about what she was doing & who she was with that night.

Im not surprised you're a GAA head from Mayo. No wonder ye havent won anything of note since the 1950's. A county full of dopes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mod: keep it civil, drop the personal insults and attacks.

We've closed this thread before for this kinda behaviour. Start up the insults again, and it'll be closed again - after the infractions come out.

Woah, steady on.

No need for the insults.

Id have reported the post had the mod nit beaten me to it.

All I'm doing is disagreeing with a poster who has implied that Farrell did well out of this because she got a free house.

She certainly did not do well out of it, and nor should she have done well out of it.

Ruining her life and her bannishment from Schull is the least what she deserved for her carry on.

• Advertisement

If you studied the case, she did very well. House hugely discounted & sold off by her & her family for a huge profit. Would she have got the house without pointing the finger at Bailey? Well both of us being obviously Irish, we know the truth there.

She is one of the main reasons this case hasnt been solved.

Whatever you think yourself.

But I would not describe Farrell as "doing well" out of the whole thing.

I'd bet she wishes if she had the time back again she would have not done what she did in making that call.

Im not surprised you're a GAA head from Mayo. No wonder ye havent won anything of note since the 1950's. A county full of dopes

Lol. This from the lad who has spent 2 years moaning about 'gards', despite people constantly correcting and laughing at his error.

The light was off in the morning when the body was discovered as were all the lights in the house.

what is your source for this? Is it MS

the crime analyst claims she withrew what she said re bailey just to get out of it all

Someone turned off the llight(s). Fingerprints?

had a root but MS is third degree source MS quoting paris match quoting a cop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭flanna01

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement